Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Thought behind the ships

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Hotshot Jimmy, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

We see so many original and creative ships/stations in the show off your ship thread and I thought why not do something similar for our favourite fiction/non-fiction ships. Now this is not a "my ships better than your ship" thread but a way to see what sci-fi or real life designs inspire everyone here. I'll start it off with one real ship and two sci-fi ones.

[​IMG]
    Don't ask me why but I really do love the shuttle's lines. And so many slag it off as ugly! :D

Now for something a little more dangerous;
    [​IMG]

And finally;

[​IMG]

Again, Atlantis was a fantastic idea and something I really love. I'll put these three under a productive childhood :101:

2. Carrion Senior Engineer

i have seen all 3 of those done already, somone did a 1/2 scale omega WAY WAY back in the day that was amazingly detailed given the lack of blocks we had and it was creative build only

i know of somone with a 1-1 scale atlantis build that they work on off and on and the shuttle was done quite early on as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clunas Junior Engineer

Sadly I think the Atlantis build died due to memory constraints (it was started before the 64bit version was even released).

I don't remember who originally posted this site, but shapewright is awesome: http://ship.shapewright.com/

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Think I haven't explained this thread very well. Im not asking if they have been done. Im asking for you to post space ships you like :eek:ops: .

5. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Good Idea, here comes my little contribution:
    So many things could be posted here...
    Like all of these:
    But for now i pick this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Clunas Junior Engineer

I was always a fan of the UNSC ships from the Halo Universe. The Paris Class in particular:
    [​IMG]

Then throw in any Caldari or Gallente ships from EVE...

7. Ortikon Apprentice Engineer

I use a combination of inspiration from Homeworld and my home town Vancouver which has many large freighters moored in the straight.
    Interestingly enough, Homeworld has concept art based on Vancouver's ships since it was originally developed there.
    Here is one of my favorite pieces done by the Art Director of HW2, a photo of the city taken from West Vancouver's British Properties painted over for conceptualizing. This is one of my biggest inspirational pieces I found when I was in art school and frequents my monitor background for the last 6 years.

[​IMG]

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I don't have a picture or pictures to share without posting some of my own ships...which I'm not about to do... it's not that kind of thread to show off your own work.

However, my current theme is draconian (offensive ships). My ships will get touches to their armor and shape that resemble bodily structures including tails, talons, teeth, and horns. I'll swap out flat cubes for slanted blocks to create patterns in the armor. I'll color armor types in near-black or off-white colors to simulate teeth and horns. This doesn't lead to ships that look to be dragons, but to be reminiscent of dragons or beasts of that nature.

It's not the most original theme. However, it gives me a "go-to" in styling as well as a clearly identifiable theme that links them all together in some sort of way. I like working with a theme, because I can refine and development that and increase my abilities with the aesthetic value of a ship. If I built without a theme or set of rules, I would just build things that are very utilitarian looking with no sense of style. So I look at adopting a real-life ship, fictional ship, or any kind of visual example as a way not to emulate or copy that ship... even though you may be doing so to begin with. But a way to develop a toolset within SE to develop your own personal "style" of shipbuilding.

9. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Whoah what is that from?

10. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

@Clunas Agreed, UNSC Ships are looking great, i love the Paris, other notable ones IMO are the Phoenix Assault ship, the Thanatos (Halbert?) Destroyer and the ONI-Sloop (these are from the Sins of the Prophets-Mod for Sins of a Solar Empire, not sure how "canon" they are...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

@Hotshot Jimmy Its the "Arcadia" from the Movie Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013), an animation movie based on some Anime-Series it seems (never saw them myself)... someone somewhere here on the forums posted a trailer which made me curious, i really can recomment it now after watching a couple times, good Story, great Storytelling and amazing Animation-Quality... just a bit much "japan" if you know what i mean...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Groodiz Trainee Engineer

For me, it's Star Citizen ships. And lots of IRL industrial stuff like crane or actual transport ships !

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clunas Junior Engineer

Ah that was a fun mod :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Real life pieces in SE for me really make it. I used to have a whole gantry crane section when we had rails back in the day. Ahhh memories... :munch:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.