Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Thoughts on DLC Cockpit's DLC Gate

Discussion in 'General' started by TartarusMkII, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jhorro Trainee Engineer

So this was it with the vanilla blocks, so I have to start using mods. I bought the game 2014 in early access, supported and now I have to pay again. I play only single player and there is nothing to play with. Single player - building a ship and going around with it and that is it. Empty space, paid blocks, empty game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

If they had not released the DLC you would still have to start using some of the excellent furniture mods out there from the likes of Kolt and Eikster just to name two. Nothing whatsoever stops you from using those and ignoring the O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L DLC blocks or using them together.

The DLC does not force you to use mods, you have always had that decision to make if you cannot or will not either get imaginitive (see Splitsies videos for some vanilla consoles made out of small grid blocks) whether or not to add mods for decorative blocks.

Why people are getting their panties in a bunch over a £2 customization pack I do not know. Plenty of other games do it (XCOM2 for example) and you don't see the peasants waving pitchforks calling them EA do you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I'm reminded of an episode of Frasier, where the titular character blocks the exit of a parking garage because he resented the parking fee. The exasperated attendant, at one point, mutters that only rich people would make that big a fuss over $5.00.

4. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

You mean the deluxe edition? With the overpowered golden rifle and obviously overpowered golden space suit?

5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

There was that and then there was the original release of SE they did as a DLC. So this is not their first DLC. I never said it was not their first blocks DLC however. The OP made it as this was their first ever DLC. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

So if I understood right, then we are all playing a large dlc? Do not tell this to the guys who pooping in their panties because of some cosmetic stuff. If they even know, that they play already a functional dlc, then they get a heart attack!

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Opps my bad the "original" SE was in the Deluxe Edition. My bad I thought they were separate. Still, this DLC is not Keen's first Rodeo with DLC :)

8. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I said this in another thread but I'll repeat it here as well.

There are many of us that advocated for decorative items like tables and toilets for years. Keen never said no, but the fans did. All of these blocks were labeled as a "waste of Keen's time" and said they would quit if Keen made them and didn't fix rotors. Well, how do you figure out if someone really, really wants something? See if they're willing to pay for it, that's how. If no one paid for the blocks, Keen would know not to waste time on more blocks like them. I mean, really, how many people actually put a galley in their ship builds? How many people, before this DLC became available, used a toilet mod or made one from standard blocks? Very few. I put them in my ships and people laughed at the time I wasted.

Now Keen says you can have the blocks if you pay for them and people are pissed. We got a free hydrogen engine. I don't remember asking for that. If they had made that DLC I would have passed.

I believe that if I have the DLC on my server it should be available to anyone on the server but, unlike mods, they can't take the block home with them when they leave. That sounds so simple it must be impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

@Stardriver907 thank you for your at support keens risky step of a dlc.

There are people for dlc and people against BUT for keen is only one thing important, the community should not split up because of the dlc... this is what marrek said in the livestream 2 days ago.
    Sadly the community is splitting a bit, because many (not all) are hardheaded and only belive in their own opinion.

The next DLC could be about weapons and economy (marrek mentioned it in the same stream)
    So we get functional content, whats then? I will support such content because the price is fair and developement costs money but this will throw the next storm of shit. I fear, if keen will end work on more content for SE...

But if they create SE 2 with the same content for 40$, then everyone is okay with this? I can not understand the logic...

10. Malware Master Engineer

Weapons are much more problematic. The fact that the new cockpit is slightly stronger than any vanilla cockpit is already iffy, but if they add new weapons that are stronger than the vanilla weapons, and they do it the same way of blending DLC owners and non-DLC owners on the same servers, we have a problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

Here i can mention the arma 3 dlc Copyright banner. Everyone can use the dlc but non payers get every 3 to 5 minutes a copyright banner on the screen. The banner has a opacity but is annoying from time to time BUT you can use the DLC

12. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

You are welcome.

I have to say, though, that of all the new blocks that came out in the DLC, the cockpit is the one I'm least likely to use. I was after the toilets, tables and suit lockers. The standard game already has two fine cockpits that seemed to be good enough for years. The new cockpit is nice, it fits the art style, and is useful for builds where the operator needs a good field of view. I have been using the Rover Cockpit mod for years and see no need to replace them. Since I did buy the DLC, I will find use for the new cockpit on future builds. I have already replaced many of my toilet mods with the new blocks

There has been no discussion of Keen ending work on Space Engineers. SE continues to be the game where they try to figure out what their engine (VRage) can do. There won't be any SE2 until they know how to make the game less buggy and quirky. So with SE you will see new this, new that, stuff you wanted, stuff you didn't know you wanted, stuff you don't want, stuff you didn't know you didn't want... all kinds of stuff. Some you will pay for, some will be "free". Some will get shoved down your throat. This is what happens when you try something no one else has done before.

What I will say, though, is that if I own a server and I have this DLC on my server, everyone that comes to my server should be able to interact with the DLC blocks on my server. Just being able to see them doesn't cut it.

and now, @Malware will explain why that can't happen :(

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.