Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

THRUSTER IMPROVEMENTS

Discussion in 'General' started by 333546323, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

ALL THRUSTERS
    .I think all thrusters need more carry mass by around 30% not speed but like instead of having 20 thrusters on a ship youl have 12 or 15.
    .for in diffrent ATM thrusters will have diffrent effects like in space it will accselerate faster than on a planet.
    .HYDROGEN
    .for hydrogen to take around 10% less fule or we can have a sertan type of moduel for that
    This is kinda off topic but what if thrusters had moduels to improve them.
    Also what do you guys thing about pressure plates.?

2. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

I agree thrusters are under powered now in SE, I've posted the same before myself. Especially atmospheric thrusters. It's pretty much impossible to build a small block 1 or 2 drill mining ship based around a medium container that has decent looks let alone fly's well. You have to build it as minimalist as possible and woe betide your flying brick if you want to add extras as well like oxygen systems etc. Yes you CAN build one but it won't be able to mine at sharp angles or fly with a full load of ore unless it is just a frame that looks like an atmospheric thruster porcupine.

Try building this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681340233 with atmospheric thrusters and watch it turn into a blob that fly's like a brick sh--house. This is why there's so many designs on the workshop that are plunge miners, made to just drill down and fly flat. For a survival player like me that loves small ship builds planets are painful because of this, I spend most of my game time in space or only on moons. :(

P.S. Bring back the older more powerful inertial dampeners! :tu:

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm calling bullshit on this. You can build a small miner that does NOT look like a brick. You just have to ENGINEER it correctly rather than just slapping a bunch of bricks together and hoping. This thing flies horizontally and mines vertically. I build one on every planet. If I was to redesign it, I'd use all small thrusters. They are more efficient than large atmospheric thrusters in all areas except power consumption.

4. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Pretty much looks like a brick shape to me. It also is not a one or 2 drill small ship. As far as the body goes it also looks pretty much just a framework to hold enough atmospheric thrusters to get it to work. It doesn't compare to the build I linked though as an example of a small miner. Compared to the example I linked that works perfectly well on moons and in space, in my own humble opinion I would refer to your build shown as an example of an atmospheric thruster porcupine. Any ship made with small blocks regardless of actual size could still be said to be a small ship.

I'm not dissing your build at all its quite good and I have no doubt of your build skills and knowledge of the game, I am fully aware of your experience in SE. I myself even with the hours put in that I have am still a fairly ordinary and simply skilled SE builder of small ships only. So if you wish to call my post of my personal opinion "bullshit" than I accept that is your opinion. Have a nice day! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

Lol it looks like a brick.
    Im a very artistic builder and I also like to build cargo ships and small compact ships with living quarters its very hard to have a good ship my small grid ship was 500,000kg I had 14 large hydro thrusters 9 up 5 forward and it was still extremly slugish its gets alot wors for large ships too
    --- Automerge ---
    Yah same its hard to build good ships nowdays but im moding a rock planet just for that.
    The gravity is 0.70g its has an ATM of 0.80 and its all rock but underneath the rock is a minners heaven

6. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, it's interesting the difference in opinion. I, for one, feel like the current thrusters are WAY too powerful. Mining on a planet in full gravity, in a hovering vehicle, carrying tons of weight shouldn't be a simple task.

Consider creating a second vehicle, not meant for maneuvering, that you can offload your extra weight in to. Specialize your miner to...mine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

*slow blink*
    Um...
    First off, thrust doesn't work like that. Carry weight is a function of the thrust produced. Speed in SE is capped at 100 m/s. If you mean to say acceleration, that is determined by dividing the total vehicle weight by the force produced by thrusters.
    If we were to bring back the old style of dampeners, ship behavior in gravity would be shit. You press space and you'll drop if you rely on the magic 10x overdrive the previous dampeners used.
    I wonder why more people don't use drone miners. Drone miners can forgo a relatively large cockpit in favor of an antenna, RC, and maybe a camera. All of my dedicated miners are small drones, adapted for use in all gravity and atmosphere environments.

8. Malware Master Engineer

NO thank you. Leave the dampers logical please, as the community asked for in the first place. Also with the old dampers you can cheat your way off the planets without the necessary thruster power.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

Yah same its hard to build good ships nowdays but im moding a rock planet just for that.
    The gravity is 0.70g its has an ATM of 0.80 and its all rock but
    Yah but have you tried hydrkgen or ion thrusts in space I dont want my ship to be coverd in thrusters
    --- Automerge ---
    True true

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Let me address some things.

That's rich. It's a MINING ship. That means everything has to be within the confines of the mining heads IF you intend on digging further than the length of the body of the ship. I'm sure you're so just gosh-darn awesome that you pull a total John Cleese all over your monitor whenever you see one of your own builds.

Whatever, dude. You're obviously NOT an English major. That is certain.

Let's see some of this "art."

If you have such an issue, load up a mod and give yourself overpowered thrusters until you can balance a million kg on one small thruster and have all the living quarters, game rooms, and John Cleese-eries in your ship as you would like. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Inertial dampeners were nerfed down so that they couldn't be used to limp ion thrusters out of atmospheres.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

I dont want mods
    --- Automerge ---
    ...have you even played the game you can build outs the drill hight lol you right click and it drills a hole...plus that ship is hella fat. Your either new to the game or your just crap at understanding things

• Late Late x 1
  12. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

If you don't want mods, then just suck it up, because the inertia dampeners are staying.
    And as far as your second comment goes, either you're new to the forum or you're just crap with ideas and explaining and convincing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

...have you even played the game you can build outs the drill hight lol you right click and it drills a hole...plus that ship is hella fat. Your either new to the game or you dont take
    Hahah I have 1200 hours on SE and who know things can change there in beta

14. Nacon Junior Engineer

You really should be posting your suggestion in Suggestion & Feedbacks Section, not in General.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

I have more than 2000, and two years on the forum. You're asking Keen to make Kerbal Space Program with mining. Stop.

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I have well over 4,000. You're still new.

17. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Everyone is allowed to have their say on their own point of view but lets not let it degenerate into another I have more hours than you have, I'm a better builder than you, my p___s is bigger than yours posting fit. Also would people when quoting please part quote what you are replying to only, instead of full multiple quoting wars it makes it awfully hard to know who's replying to what. Lets' keep it civil. Have a nice day! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. [flux] Trainee Engineer

Word

19. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Not only am I the best builder here, but possibly to ever live.

And on a related note, my phallus is beyond the compare of mortal men, and even some large herbivores, and as such I am the winner of this thread.

Moderators: You may now close it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.