Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Thrusters and Rotors?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dare Arkin, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dare Arkin Apprentice Engineer

So I saw- briefly- a YT video of someone who made a landing craft for planets that used rotors to tilt Hydrogen engine pods.
    UNfortunately I can't find that freaking vid any more.

Did rotors change to make this useful finally, or did I miss something?

2. galacticon Apprentice Engineer

Nope and merge blocks are bugged so it's not possible.

3. Dare Arkin Apprentice Engineer

Well profanity.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diver Trainee Engineer

Im playing arround with this Idea, too. For a planetary Shuttle, or maybe bigger...

It works, but you need to use the Override to control the Thrusters on the Rotor.
    But i guess this will become Standard to escape the Gravity of Planets, at least if you don't want to waste Fuel. :p

I would recommend to lock the moving Parts with Landinggears, to prevent any Spinning as the Parts on the Rotor and the Ship itself will be considered as one Part.

Without locking you would have to balance every Rotorthruster with the Center of Mass of your Ship.
    Or not... think of the Movie "Serenity" ;)

No Explosions during my Tests in Singleplayer.

5. Carrion Senior Engineer

not quite true

you CAN you just need to group them and use keyboard controls through the G menu to increase and decrease overrides

and the merge issue isnt bugged its because the stator and rotor parts share the same space when rotating and thus cant be merged. try it with a pair of half cover walls and you will see the same message or a light and a catwalk.

6. Spets Master Engineer

this video?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dare Arkin Apprentice Engineer

nah, it had four nacelles and I would have recognized a Firefly class.

8. Aracus Senior Engineer

This or one of the other videos where he used it? one of his "planet" videos?

9. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

My friend had the ship I'm pretty sure you're talking about downloaded from the workshop last night. I played around with it some, but it was in MP so the rotors/pistons were blowing up, but I did manage to fly it a little while. The thrusters were grouped together and controlled by increasing or decreasing the override, and turning them on and off.

10. RyansPlace Apprentice Engineer

I think I know the vid you're talking about. He used thruster override adjustments to manage power as rotors alone won't allow WASD control. I can't find it either, but here's a similar concept.

This next one is mine. I used Whip's shortbow to develop an ion thruster based VTOL system that allows WASD using merge blocks, rotors and pistons (i'm sure a few people shuttered at the thought of that combination).

Click on this to view full screen

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  11. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

had a few ships using the rotor/mergeblock solution, but it failed after the landing grear update resulting in mayhem and destruction in the landing bay

12. RyansPlace Apprentice Engineer

That's the only drawback is you can't use a landing gear with this kind of design. Though, since VTOLs are generally for planet based operations, you shouldn't have to. I don't see a lot of use for stationing VTOLs on large ships.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.