Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Time to start up the hype train again

Discussion in 'General' started by halipatsui, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What you think will be in the anniversary update?

My personal guesses would be reworked wheels and/or survival revamp.
    Revamp probably introduces few new blocks too.

What you guys think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. theorytard Trainee Engineer

Bug fixes and a nice update on the future of Space Engineers

3. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Beta improvements.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I think they hve said there will be a special update

5. Spets Master Engineer

more skins..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

I'm guessing it's going to be about the survival revamp. And the accursed tech tree. Hope it's a checkbox...
    Maybe the wheels get some improvements too.

7. Aguycalledhaney Trainee Engineer

I'd like to see:

Survival improvements
    Wheel improvements
    Rotor/piston improvements

I'd not like to see:

More multiplayer optimization
    More new blocks
    More cosmetics

8. ViroMan Senior Engineer

In the order of importance to me... (Pick at least one, please dev team)
    1. Piston fix
    2. Rotors Fix
    3. Wheels (For Clang's sakes.. fix them please, just wtf?)
    4. Increase speed cap somehow
    5. Meteors fix (still spawning under planet)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Arcturus Senior Engineer

That was allegedly fixed in the 01.152 update on 8 Sept 2016, so if it is happening again old code must have been brought forwards at some point.
    Not sure if @rexxar came up with the fix or if that was just for cargo ships near planets.

10. ViroMan Senior Engineer

it happened to me last update with meteors set to normal. I got the meteor warning and looked up and saw nothing... waited a few seconds then boom... shit all around my base started exploding. Happens during night.

11. Logi Apprentice Engineer

Optimist in me says: Those teased blocks (wind power, hydrogen power, small assembler) were done (models at least) months ago so people working on models would have had the time to create much more stuff, maybe something that wouldn't require much programmers time like some decorative blocks. Or maybe devs have been secretly working on other systems for the game like food mechanic, or more life on planets or even NPCs.

Pessimist in me says: It will be lots of bragging about how the game has sold over 2 million copies and how active the workshop is with some hype about goodAI thrown in the mix. Then there will be anniversary stream with a huuuuge surprize, an anniversary metallic pink unicorn skin. Then there will be much hype about how the survival revamp will change the whole game and a whole new teaser about it which confirms it's just wind power block, hydrogen engine and small assembler.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Malware Master Engineer

To be fair, that "hype" is usually 100% community made, Keen has barely said a word... which is what happens when posts like these are made. It creates castles in the clouds. So when the actual update hits, people have hyped themselves up on nothing, and gets disappointed when reality inevitably fails to live up to their unrealistic expectations...

Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Logi Apprentice Engineer

Usually that's true in many cases, but about survival revamp being game changer, that's something that's been led to believe on the streams by devs. I remember it from almost half a year ago when one dev said something impying that the survival changes would make the game so much better and it's hard to play the current version of the game after that. And just maybe week or two ago they were hyping on stream how q4 has some interesting plans.

Lack of communication is also good for passive hyping. As is reminding on update posts how they are hard at work for some exciting updates behind the scenes, etc. They are reminding us every week how there are exciting stuff being worked on but lack of status update for that stuff for months now will cause hype.

One dev team for EA game said very early on that they are not going to add multiplayer and will not be working on such even knowing the community response. They are also very open about what they are working on currently etc. and they are not forcing updates out every week, but when they are ready.

Keen is almost opposite to that. It's almost like Keen is so afraid of the customers that they rather keep them in line by hope of things maybe being there in the future, rather than telling how things will be.

14. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Piston fix implies they really feel there is a major issue. I raised many points around wobbly pistons that shook themselves apart, and was basically advised to use workarounds.
    Rotor fix, whilst more accepted, is part of the netcode issues I suspect. Rotors don't have major issues in single player, so I still hope they will get mended.
    Wheels ..... god...please. FIX THEM! Or if they can't be fixed, tell us.
    Speed cap. Never going to happen. Keen have said so.
    Meteors ... Please. Don't just fix them..MAKE THEM INTERESTING! Make them random, make them less targetted, make them sometimes not hit ground and burn up in the sky, make them scary! Don;t just have them come 'from the sun' on a regular basis. That's not how these things work.

But as far as a 'Hype for the Anniversary of SE' goes, Keen have not hinted at anything special. They have not hinted about new features, and they have no said they will do anything to celebrate.

I am sure Marek will want to do a community Stream, or some such. Look at the progress over the past year, and maybe look a little about how the game will progress over the next 12 months. They will probably try and link in the next major update, so they have a major release not just a bugfix to push out ( which we would get anyway ).

I personally would be really peeved if I thought a major gameplay update like the semi mythologial survival update were being held back for a birthday release when it was ready weeks before, or that is was pushed out before it was ready to try and give the community a 'gift' on it's anniversary. Release stuff when it's right, and working well enough to need testing in a much wider audience. Not before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I hope it contains something completely unexpected (and awesome). They've done it to us many times in previous updates. :)

They've also told us all multiple times that there are still a lot of optimizations to come, so there's that to look forward to as well. More optimization means bigger/more grids, which means more room for Keen to add content, or for us to have massive, awesome/pointless PvP battles which don't lag when someone opens fire on a single ship.

I don't think they'll ever fix pistons, rotors or wheels. Forgive my pessimism on this, but we've had about 20+ updates where the changelog says "fixed rotors/pistons" yet they perform exactly as when they were first added in 2014, if not worse.

I hope they do get fixed of course, but its looking less and less likely with each update. I think for now, they should focus more on the content/fixes side of things. We have massive empty planets and space but no reason to explore it and not much to populate it except a select amount of repeating asteroid shapes and the odd cargo ship or exploration/workshop spawn (which suck due to the crazy amount of blocks and laggy sizes some of them reach).

Right now I'd be happy if the game ran for more than 30 minutes without crashing in MP, causing me to lose my inventory/tools. I also hope they fix the silly welder/grinder aiming for small and large grids being offset by 1 or 2 blocks in random directions. It makes building small ships a pain in the arse.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Towards new dissappointments we go then!

17. Sarekh Senior Engineer

• Funny Funny x 7
  18. Carrion Senior Engineer

and i have to stop you right there.

the drastic improvements in rotors have been amazing. to start with all we had was a speed setting and on/off. so it would spin and that was about it. it was only after people were saying we need to be able to stop it it at a set point did we actually get limits. and the original wheels and then something to pin them down using artificial gravity.
    we didn't have the ability to alter the offset.

we had to use a "trick" of lining up rotor parts and saving and reloading the game to fool the game into connecting to make things stable before they actually worked out how to make the engine do it for us with a click on a screen.
    and then they gave us the ability to add small grids via it as well. and torque settings.
    iirc we couldnt even group things at first

yes there has been alot of back and forth include updates where the connection was so floppy it just lent over and hit things. and times where someone dropped a 0 and things went bad. you know what. it was normally fixed inside a day which was a trifle annoying. its not the end of the world.

we didnt even have through rotor power or controls at the time. so every single subgrid had to have its own power pack, its own control station. for you it may not be a huge thing but for alot of players its actually quite essential.

oftern its looking at WHAT you the player is doing and then deciding where the issue is.

Pistons which seem so maligned by many are and i really cant believe i am having to say this after so long, ARE NOT BROKEN. its the way that people continue to misuse them and then assume that its the pistons fault it went bang instead of looking at the cause. that spiny drill head i use? took me AGES to get the rotor speed and piston feed rates set so that the drills didnt snag a voxel chunk to fast and start the whole thing bouncing around.
    there is a reason why i have dampening and gyros on it. i engineered the system instead of simply going OMG IT AM BORKEDED REFUNDZ ME NAOWZ the game engine simply does not like them moving FAST run a chain of pistons at max speed and they respond poorly especially in MP.

the issues people speak of tend to be in MP situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. chrisb Senior Engineer

I would like to see stable 'space', in Space Engineers. Or should I say, more of it. ;)

20. I23I7 ME Tester

Hello citizens of this forum what is going on here....

BY THE EMPEROR!

• Funny Funny x 4
  21. rexxar Senior Engineer

I bet they're gonna release planets! Or maybe DX11!!! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  22. Roxette Senior Engineer

I heard they were going to release the linux and OSX ports ...

<runs away>

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. Sarekh Senior Engineer

It's perfectly obvious, they are going to release water, dynamic weather, compound blocks, a revamped survival system and 23 new blocks, including recycling systems, sensors, radar and new weaponry based on the Mexpex pack - how can you not see that coming?

Mark my words!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Gods have descended amongst us!
    Liquid water confirmed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. DragonCMT Trainee Engineer

Maybe for the Anniversary they'll make it an actual game and no more beta. Hopefully not though, there are a F*** ton of stuff that need revamped and redone in this game. Hopefully wheels and pistons will get fixed and the evil Clang will get vanquished by the Devs. The physics in this game are great, just i think the Piston blocks register differently than normal blocks, thats why there are so many issues with pistons and wheels.

26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

New bugs... we'll get new bugs! I'm bored with the old ones.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  27. rexxar Senior Engineer

AI space chickens, with cute little helmets

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

So they're definitely chickens, not ducks?

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Omg awesome
    Do they have cute little space chicken cage too?

Edit: the hype is real bois

30. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Just got home from work so a bit salty at the mo so i'm going with unidentified "bug fixes" and engineer skins no one asked for :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.