Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Time to start up the hype train again

Discussion in 'General' started by halipatsui, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Oooo, i thought getting my face hit with fricking lazor beamz was going to make me miss the update but apparently it's a Biggen. (Is that, uh, is that the correct spelling?)

2. Thrak Junior Engineer

Most people-- those who don't get a raging woody for programing and software development, at least-- won't be gobsmacked by a physics update or API script change. To them, the message comes across as "we're making a big deal about something that should have worked right a long time ago." That's not to take away from the hard work a lot of people have undoubtedly devoted to this update. But optimizations are expected and, hence, not sexy. And these videos being posted are... amateurish... to put it generously, in terms of promoting something (and managing expectations, a necessary part of the process). Look at the photo in this thread-- much more has been talked about the prospect of new turrets and the lighting effects than anything else.

So, hopefully, there will be a few nuggets in this "very special update" that everyone can get into. I continue to look forward to it. But if it's just physics and API... expect a large, underwhelmed audience.

EDIT: Added hypertext

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Logi Apprentice Engineer

This is exactly how I feel. It seems like it's going to be a major "bug fixing and beta improvement" patch, finally fixing some long lasting problems, maybe even for multiplayer. It's nice, but if that is "all" there is in this super hyped mega mind blown major update, then I am going to be a bit let down. I tried to not get too hyped, but during the past few weeks/months, community managers have gone way overboard hyping without any context of the nature of the update. Marek did far better job on it with those videos during the past few days as those at least hinted the nature of the update. Sometimes it feels like the community managers have forgotten how large the real playerbase is. I bet majority of those who bought the game don't even know what Clang is nor had as mach trouble with it.

The thing is, fixing the problems the game has had, should not be some hype worthy amzing thing. It should be granted.

4. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Well, speak for yourself, friend. If they actually manage to cut clang out of the equation I will be gobsmacked. This would open up totally new avenues of playing this game for me. Until now I have avoided rotors and pistons as much as possible. loading mechanisms, retractable turrets and armour... oooh, the possibilities....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thrak Junior Engineer

Sure, sure. I agree. But don't we all expect rotors, pistons, and the like to work eventually, anyway? So if this update is indeed "Mission Accomplished," then that's great and all. Hopefully they'll do a better job explaining the practical things such an achievement brings to the game beyond these... let's be nice and say "Zen-like" videos. Koans are great for contemplation but lousy advertising.

6. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

:(

7. Sarekh Senior Engineer

@Thrak Did you really? I actually did not expect them to work properly at all, no kidding. I was fully prepared to let them out of all my stuff for all eternity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thrak Junior Engineer

I live in hope. :)

Let me put it this way: My thinking is that, when they go to sell this as a completed game, things like rotors and pistons have to be fixed or eliminated. Now, how one defines "fixed" is, I suppose, a point of contention. I would say "not a problem for causal users." There's precedent for that, too-- changes like dirty glass or nerfing ship welder ranges are things Keen's done in the past to make the game more new-player friendly.

If this update really does put rotor/piston (and maybe landing gear) issues to bed, then veteran players like us will be happy, as we've lived with these issues for a long while. New players will say, "Duh, of course."

I predicate all of this thinking on the idea that Keen wants to eventually call this a finished game and sell more copies to a wider audience than those of us who bought into Early Access. Actually, I am kind of wondering if this update will be characterized by Marek as a big step towards game completion? A hint at a final destination? (How's that for hype? :D)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Shouldn't that be "Planets cannot have Hydrogen/ModdedGas atmospheres"? We can do Mars currently in SE with <OxygenDensity>0</OxygenDensity> but atmospheric thrusters still work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Herpaderpa Trainee Engineer

How can they fix clang though? I tought that was a problem by the havok engine, not vrage :S

*Edit: Nvm, i found out, its just an option you need to uncheck in MVS [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Hype train is arriving to station approximatedly in 12 hours.
    Pack your belongings and brace for impact!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Darian Stephens Trainee Engineer

For some reason, I got it in to my head that it would be happening within the hour.
    Glad to be set straight again! I'm still very excited, though.

13. Malware Master Engineer

They can't fix clang, no, but they can shorten his reach. Clang will never be completely gone - but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just good enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Any guesses other than clang suppression in this upcoming major update?

I am going to guess Female Engineer, and maybe more singleplayer survival stuff, and of course multiplayer improvements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. halipatsui Senior Engineer

So they are planning to fall lord clang into a coma?

So far it looks like large physics imptovements like wheel rotor and piston improvements.
    I would not be surprised to see survival rework either but it is starting to feel less likely to me.

16. Malware Master Engineer

Oh, and it's a problem with physics engines in general, not just Havok. Just to have that said :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Survival Update confirmed not this Major. Also not next Major. I'd expect it for Christmas. I don't EXPECT more than physics and mod API changes. However, the whole thing about suits, it being the anniversary update and me being convinced that the game's due to release this year makes me suspect there's a decent chance for a female engineer model today. A chance, though, not necessarily super likely. I think that's something so important they'd have teas... oh, wait, MAREK's done the teasing this time, nevermind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Do you guys think wheels get love too?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

If this is anything to go by, definitely:

Even if they haven't fixed the sliding/traction, at least it seems like they won't explode or randomly fly off anymore. :)

20. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I am talking about the rework.

This would seem like a fitting update to release them too.

Edit: i hope wheels got included in the teaser due to their rework.

21. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

Apparently of what i can get from the 3 videos Marek released, is that in the new physics, moving objects on a grid will simply stop when they encounter and obstacle, instead of ripping themselfs out.

Wich will be a HUGE fix to the rotor/pistons problem, that they always had, not that they weren't functional, but that they would just destroy everything in their path.

Now just hope that if you get a desync in MP this method still applies...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. tharkus Junior Engineer

It seems the days of Klang are running out, hehehe im going to NOT miss him.

Regards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. halipatsui Senior Engineer

BRACE FOR IMPACT

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Time to dig up the F5 fleet.... long time no see

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

"take your protein pills and put your helmet on."

Just remember how matter how beautiful the update may be don't cry in space or you might go blind.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  26. Sarekh Senior Engineer

OHMYGOD, LIQUID WATER?

27. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

yeah its amazing it renders at 1 frame a minute. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Carrion Senior Engineer

It has arrived

29. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Carrion Senior Engineer

Well either i am the random cases marek mentioned or something is squiffy as my her to totally solid mining rigs are now being clangy in the extreme
    --- Automerge ---
    Well either i am the random cases marek mentioned or something is squiffy as my her to totally solid mining rigs are now being clangy in the extreme
    --- Automerge ---
    hmmm looks like all settings have be reset for pistons and we dont have safety locks anymore instead its share inertial tensor.

Keen we need a manual with these things.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.