Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Time to start up the hype train again

Discussion in 'General' started by halipatsui, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

It was on the same memo that said:

"ignore stupid hype threads where people talk endlessly about their own private wishlists and their belief that these things will come to pass. When the developers have said they won't. Such topics include, but are not limited to:

Food
    AI
    NPCs
    Water
    Voxel filling in survival
    Food bar/Thirst bar/heart rate bar/temperature bar/pulse bar/flatulance bar/happiness bar/lapdancing bar ..... or any other kind of bar until the screen is just bars and the game is renamed to Bar Engineers"

But not to worry. There is always the Anniversary Update to look forward to........

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Levits Senior Engineer

Wheels finally getting fixed should be the next "big" thing. We now have pistons and rotors in working order... though they still need some touching up. But wheels are the next on the list that need to be fixed; in the list of vital, moving blocks.

Traction is still a problem as well as overall performance. Suspension and the wheel settings could use some love too as those things are still a pain to adjust correctly and going from one terrain to another requires constant alteration of these settings. <at the very least the settings for wheels needs its own friggin' tutorial.

But then, with this, there is also the problem with the mined voxels on planets surfaces. They create bumps that cause problems for wheeled vehicles by creating washboards all over the place. Somehow I figure that too would be an important issue to fix in time, though not as much a priority as simply getting wheels to handle uneven terrain.

Other than that, I would hazard to guess that Multiplayer performance is either above or below this. Or will simply be piecemealed with other fixes down the road.

Multiplayer doesn't really concern me though. I'm simply hoping for more survival aspects, interactions, as well as blocks (many more blocks) <even some that would allow for additional construction concepts. But I can wait for those.

Almost forgot, they are also working on something else... the Hydrogen-powered Generator and a possible Tech Level system. Not sure what to expect from the tech thing though. I do know that I want the hydrogen reactor... + a smaller fuel tank <hint hint.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

HYPE TRAIN IS BACK ON TRACK

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

I don't think it was off track, just ran outta steam. Does this mean you found more fuel?

5. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. odizzido Junior Engineer

sweet the new skybox is almost here :)

7. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Ironically they use a better-looking mod skybox in the promo image for the update twitch stream above. New skybox has grey clouds and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Malware Master Engineer

Yeah... "Sweet"... :( I'm gonna need a skybox mod. Well at least that gives me the excuse to find a good, black, stars - only skybox.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

*clears throat, starts singing* You can't always Get what you wa-ant...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Marek Tosa when he succumbed to remove most of the scratches from windows

11. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

I just love it how there's announcements on Facebook, Discord, Twitter and Grinder or whatever, but nothing ON THE OFFICIAL BLOODY FORUMS.
    Wonder what's the reasoning behind it?

• Agree Agree x 9
  12. odizzido Junior Engineer

Maybe because they only care about finding new customers with news of new stuff and not really about informing people who actually play the game? Or maybe they think everyone uses and watches keen on grinder/twitter/discord/facebook? I don't really use any of those things though so I'd never have known if people didn't post about it here.
    --- Automerge ---
    Actually I wanted to say that the new skybox will be the only content for the major update. If there happens to be more that's cool, but I am keeping my expectations low.

13. halipatsui Senior Engineer

My guess is that theyvwould have teased mp improvements way earlier.

My guess is lighting update

14. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  15. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I just hope wheel update wont break my red ship mech jusy after i signed it for the contest lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sarekh Senior Engineer

yeah, the first thing I thought was: "Damn, I just finished my new wheel based hovertank yesterday... hope it doesn't break"

17. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

If the pics that @marek_rosa posted on twitter are anything to go by, it's looking like it's going to be a great update.

I'm not expecting a survival overhaul (because that'd be too awesome), but this looks like a remade/larger Private Sail cargo ship if I'm not mistaken:
    [​IMG]
    It could also just be a workshop ship, but I have no idea.

I really hope we get some new (and smarter) cargo ships, but multiplayer fixes would be nice too. Here's to hoping the update living up to the 'major' part of of it's name. ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  18. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

19. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

That ship is the Pilgrims Curiosity, a fairly new and quite rare vanilla cargo ship. It is available in Aragaths workshop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I remember patch notes some time in the last few months that said it was disabled from spawning.

21. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Anyone who did not test E multiplayer beta should now know it was bonkers and deserves some major HYPE

22. Roxette Senior Engineer

"fairly new" ? o.o it's been in the game for... just over 2 years. IIRC it was one of several that were disabled for some time until they were updated because there were outdated aspects of their design that caused crashes.

23. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Could you elaborate?

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Well it's difficult to compare with current version for several reasons:
    - I don't know what hardware the servers were running on
    - I don't know how busy the server got grid/voxel/script-wise but it didn't look to me like much was being done to stress the server while I was on.
    - Cleanup seemed very aggressive

I will say that I observed:
    - Steady 1.0 with 16 players online (it did suddently drop to a persistent 0.7 once and I don't know what caused it)
    - Several new features, long overdue, that I won't mention because I know how Marek loves surprises :D
    - Some desync/bug issues that aren't surprising and I'm not worried about.

Overall, to all my fellow addicts jonesing for information or a patch, it is definitely an improvement so calm down :tu:

25. Arcturus Senior Engineer

What a wasted opportunity.
    EDIT: raiding Discord logs gave more info. Performance was apparently good but there were some server crash bugs (it restarted after each crash).

This is a hype thread. People don't like surprises here. What did you see? They are probably underwhelming compared to the survival elements that most people hype for.
    EDIT: people on Discord were talking about
    - Characters persist after the player is disconnected/logs out
    - There was a block limit per faction system
    - There may have been safe (spawn?) zones
    - There may have been blueprint directories

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.