Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Time to start up the hype train again

Discussion in 'General' started by halipatsui, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Arcturus Senior Engineer

It would be a neat inversion if the atmospheric thrusters caused contact damage at the intake instead of at the exhaust.

2. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I think they should suck in anyone who wanders too close.
    It would also be logical if they could not produce thrust if intake is blocked.

3. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

That sounds like a lot of work to implement, on top of everything else. I would suggest not expecting that, at least until later stages of the game development. Much later.

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

[​IMG]

Just not feeling it this year...

5. rexxar Senior Engineer

DX12?

6. Sarekh Senior Engineer

You know how to mollycoddle folks!

7. halipatsui Senior Engineer

30 core processor support?

8. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Welp. Can't remember a time recently that i've been so dissapointed in being right... =/

Maybe next week?

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Followed by about half a dozen KFC restaurant blueprints.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Wouldnt it be sfc for space fried chicken instead of kentucky fried chicken?

11. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Klang Fried Chicken?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Klang Seared Hens?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Thales M. Senior Engineer

No teaser?

14. Logi Apprentice Engineer

Bringing up that NPC test video was mean, really mean. Got my long burried hopes for NPCs up for a moment, but the way Xocliw talked about the anniversary update during stream killed all hype for me. And that's good. Its one thing to joke about the update, but giving false hope of ever seeing something like NPCs in this game was uncalled.

It would be great if the devs would stop hyping things way out of what they actually are and instead start confirming what features will not make it into the game, like start rejecting ideas from the feedback site, even if they are most wanted ideas.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

The more I think about it, the less the way the feedback site was designed makes any sense. The voting system is, by KSH's description, designed for rapid response to popular ideas and quick turnover -- which doesn't seem suitable for any software development project I can think of, much less for game development. The top voted items have been stable nearly from the beginning -- and several of them we know could be added to the game, because there are already mods that do it.

My guess is that they don't reject the feedback suggestions that they've already said are impossible, because that'd be a PR mess unless they also accepted some feedback suggestions. So far, all I can see they've implemented are half-blocks, and a lot of bug fixes. (If the feedback site had simply been a public bug tracking system, I'd have thought it a success.)

I'm still hoping they've got something big planned for the next major update. But I'm frustrated, in that it's totally unclear what KSH intends to do, if anything.

16. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

as long as its anything to do with sim speed for server or wheels i'll be delighted and excited.
    anything else is a bonus
    everything else is always a bonus because its better than development being dropped on its head

17. Logi Apprentice Engineer

It would be, but it's better than giving false hope which in itself will turn into PR nightmare as people start expecting those popular features. Better to reject them and do a video or
    comprehensive post explaining why they were rejected. Certain game recently admitted that they are unable to add multiplayer which led to huge backlash, but I think it was better to publicly admit that instead of going for the "maybe one day ;)" route.

That's true, I just wish they would be a bit more open about their plans for the game. Whatever they are releasing on anniversary update, most likely will be interesting and the survival update propably will change the game for better. It's just when something has been under work for so long, with teased parts being more or less ready (at least models), it's easy to get the feeling there will be more stuff than we know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Prediction due to over-hype:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Have to say Cyber Space Chickens are better than normal chickens. As long as I can still eat them. Will Cyber hounds come back? It's weird getting computers in a living wolf stomach...

This reminds me eerily, how the forums blew their tops over cyber hounds and ardently demanded keen make them real wolves cause reasons...

Suicide cyborg dogs R.I.P.

do Cyber chickens jetpack suicide engines in space?

20. oleando Apprentice Engineer

That if the brakes aren't fixed

21. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Who need brakes?
    Hype train stops if it does

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Malware Master Engineer

They didn't demand them made into real wolves, they demanded the explosions removed.

Both cyber- and real wolves are utterly ridiculous in this game. No matter how the planet looks, it's not Earth. It just happens to be earth-like. Thus the life form should be alien. Similar to a wolf, fine, as dictated by the concept of convergent evolution. But different enough to clearly not be a wolf. Cyber variants removes any possibility of a "lost in space" type of scenario as they must have been placed there by humans.

23. Merandix Junior Engineer

Now, I'm going to say something based on rumour... So I may be a naughty guy.

If those rumours of late are true, I'd be happy with Keen just giving themselves a centralised build repository system as a gift for their birthday. I've picked up multiple hints that this isn't the case. And I would gladly forgo a month or more of updates if that's what it takes to get them to work as a normal company in terms of branch merges. (This would likely prevent many situations where previously fixed bugs later miraculously return). It would also save an excrement-ton of work I imagine.
    If said rumours are untrue, then please give yourselves a nice cake and enjoy... and give me a swift kick in the behind.

-----------

Rumour free stuff here:

I guess reasons to go to places would be nice.
    As well as more necessities to put on ships, to further advance design requirements. Some 'survival elements' would be nice in the form of food. This topic in the suggestion forum was awesome. Still hoping for it.

On wolves, would love to see them go to be honest. Wolves don't behave that way, aren't that aggressive, and certainly don't eat steel. I would love Keen to move away from the concept of blindly attacking structures anyway.

• Late Late x 1
  24. Malware Master Engineer

They're not, they are using Subversion

The problem is that Subversion isn't the best for multiple branches, and it's not a trivial thing to just switch. But theyreally should. Having gone through the same switch myself I understand the trepidation very well, but once we got through the initial issues - well, Git just works much better for branching.

25. Merandix Junior Engineer

*gives himself a swift kick in the behind*

Anyway, even what you said. They should consider giving themselves that gift of a suitable repository system. I'm no programmer, but I do know that having properly suitable tools for a job can make said job so much easier and more enjoyable to work on. After all the work they did, they deserve that.

Anyway kids, rumour again proves a poor adviser ;)

@Malware Thanks for the clarification!

26. Gideon Trainee Engineer

I just hope it is excellent.
    This game has felt half-abandoned since they started on Medieval Engineers. More than half, as of late. Makes me sad. Makes me want thrusters in Medieval Engineers, so I can play in a game still being developed.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  27. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

if you are looking for them this mod restores them to their [personal] former glory.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945655546&searchtext=cyberhound

28. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Wolves as generic low-level mobs are a tired cliche at best. And these have crude animations and no behavior patterns except to wander until they see you, then charge.

It looks like they simply wanted to demonstrate that could add mechanics for spawning mobs, and added generic wolves and slightly less generic giant spiders, as minimal demonstrations, with the idea they'd come back to it later.

29. Malware Master Engineer

Spiders came first. Then the wolves, which were by no means generic as they were mechanic and exploded when they came near to you. Which was not popular, to say the least. They first removed their explosions, then later changed the model to a wolf model that - I think - was really created for Medieval Engineers.

30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes, but the A.D.D. style of development is catching up with the game. Let me beat this dead horse some more. We really need a reworking of the spawning system. That includes asteroids, NPC characters, and grids. The lines between cargo ships and encounter ships are pretty blurry. There's a huge overlap. But there are fine details about cargo ships that can't be replicated with the encounter class... even if both ships are serving the same purpose.

Asteroid spawning needs more algorithm types and the ability to spawn multiple asteroid fields of limited size/shape/and density curves. NPC characters need a system so they can be anchored to a location rather than just near a player. I can understand having them only spawn when a player is near. But having them just spawn some radius away from the player gives them no purpose but to annoy. Also tools to easily mute or mod the expression of ore-types in an asteroid field and replace/augment procedural asteroid types.

We also need the ability to store generic information strings regarding each player that NPC programmable blocks and game scripts can access and update. NPCs with a limited collective memory means different possible behaviors and dispositions based on the PLAYER'S past behavior.

The game feels unfinished because there's not a lot that can be easily done without getting into the weeds and modding the hell out of the game. If we're moving towards the literal end-game, it's time to start taking these factors into consideration. Being able to build better scenarios and servers is definitely missing.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.