Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

To Keen: the main reason people quit this game in the past and in the future

Discussion in 'General' started by lightzy, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Wow, all this just reinforces my lack of interest in ever joining a multiplayer server. It sounds like an immense waste of time.

2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

So then, you're NOT interested in being the First Officer of my flagship?

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

But.. it... isnt it like. ...the same one... from like... years ago?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

No, it's not quite like the same one from years ago ;)

5. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

This is why the vast majority of players do not use Keen's servers, but instead play servers with settings and/or mods to mitigate or eliminate the complaints on this thread. I have listed several of the many solutions in my comments to this thread.

Anyway, as far as I know, Keen does not read comments on this forum. If you dislike the new spawn mechanic, upvote these reports:
    https://support.keenswh.com/spaceen...ervers-spawn-far-far-too-close-to-one-another
    https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/topic/v1-189-spawn-near-players-system

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Dang, dude, how can I say "no"? Tell me where and when to report.

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Any availability for a Last Officer?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Having a long cool down period between lander respawns is a bit of a given for server admins. As a player, your job is to get away from the killing fields as fast as possible. You can easily travel 30-50km once you have a remote and gyro in place. I agree, Keen could do a lot better at tweaking its default parameters to balance game play.

9. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Heeeeeyyy, got any openings for helmsman?

10. Roxette Senior Engineer

Somehow you've missed the point. You can't get away on a server with Keen's default settings, because a new player will always be spawned within 4km of an existing player selected at random.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

how long till you mutiny?

I kind of figure the 4km spawn zone around players becoming a problem for MP. I get it's nice if you're playing with friends, but on an open MP server it's kind of a nightmare.

12. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

The strangest thing about stuff like this happening is that it took conscious effort to make the game work this way. As in someone had to say "let's make players spawn within 4k of another player", and then other people had to say "yeah that's a good idea", then people had to do a bunch of work to program that in. And at no time during any of that process did any of the myriad people say "Wait a minute, hold up everyone, I was just thinking about this and what we're doing is a TERRIBLE idea."

I just don't understand how stuff like this happens. I mean, how did they not see this coming?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Roxette Senior Engineer

Nobody there actually plays the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

Given the state of the game, I'd be surprised to find out that anybody on the dev team has actually played any kind of video game before.

15. oleando Apprentice Engineer

I second this thread
    The solution to griefing is not administration, it is giving players the tools to protect themselves.
    Kinetic nullifiers: blocks exclusive to stations that release a low power consuming field that will slow down anything to a non dangerous amount of relative speed
    This would be a good solution, also the medbay telespawning has been a good solution also, but to make it even better to avoid griefing with hidden medbays, it could be made so that every time a player dies, the medbay will increase its heat output so another player could pick up the heat signature and find the griefer medbay..

Moderation is just a cheap solution to a problem that has to be solved from a game design perspective.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Griefer. Who makes up these words? It's like eleventeen...you know...an imaginary number.

17. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

I suspect it's the same group that once coined "spaceman".

-Morloc

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

It often seems like they've got a somewhat fixed idea of how it should be played, and they keep trying to figure out how to compel players to play it their way. That's moderated by some sincere admiration for creativity. But I get the feeling they look at what's most popular on the workshop, shake their heads, and say, "How do we get players to stop doing that?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

That's numberwang!

20. Roxette Senior Engineer

One of the problems seems to be that the most "popular" on the workshop seems to be most often determined not by players who actually play the game in survival mode, but by streamers who mostly do crazy shit in creative mode and their herds of sheep.

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Mother fudger... really? I DID miss the point. 4km is WAY too close. Perhaps 40km would be better. Time to throw some more turrets up... at least there will be a fireworks show before the looting.

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Well I think now people are going a little too hard on the Keen crew.

As for them not playing the game that's definitely not true, BUT... I used to be the grounds manager for a golf course. 10 years. In that entire time I never played a single round of golf. At the end of a long day frankly the last thing you want to do is the thing you were already basically doing the last 8-12 hours.

That said I wish Keen would just talk to us about this stuff. So much could be avoided if there was just any communication between us. Things could get sorted out so quickly and easily, everyone would be happier, the game would progress more efficiently....

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Your analogy is flawed. If you were redesigning a golf course and never played more than one hole and ignored the regular club members, you might have issues on the course. That's where Keen is. Their decisions seem half-baked and not very well thought out in terms of game-play. It seems they make changes for changes sake but never get to the big picture.

24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hey! I resemble that remark!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  25. Benokt Apprentice Engineer

Just as a test, I recently flew to each of the 6 or so asteroids closest to my base on NA9.
    FIVE of them had blue spawn ships sitting next to them, with one of them being partially ground down by some other player.

(I've found the best strategy for these is to sneak them gifts, mainly common metals, Uranium, and ice, so they get established and I don't have to worry about them spawning around me again)

26. Calaban Junior Engineer

I dont think the trolls (who troll for attention-good or bad) and griefers (whose goal is to cause grief in the other player behind the controls) are anything growing out of control, or anything new, really- I think its all just a side consequence of the Information age.. you know. the thing that brought the whole world to your fingertips?

Well, before the informational revolution, there was only one troll per village. One sociopathic bully stomping around amusing himself with the misery of others. They were there, but there were diluted out to just one A-hole per eleventy (110) miles worldwide.

Now that the informational revolution brought us alllll together... guess what were now seeing more and more of?

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Roxette Senior Engineer

Is it pictures of cats ?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Benokt Apprentice Engineer

The point of contention here (or at least I think) isn't that here are trolls and griefers, its that they are now literally inescapable because they can spawn, fully equipped, less than a minute's journey from someone's 'streaming' symbol.

29. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Oh, man, the things I miss not playing multiplayer. Just think, if I did I could be pissed all the time, too!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. Sarekh Senior Engineer

I've been playing MP for a long time now and I am still not pissed. But I also play Warhammer 40k all the time and no matter how hard I lose, I still find it funny and enjoyable. We should actually form that crew. It would be awesome.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.