Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

To Keen: the main reason people quit this game in the past and in the future

Discussion in 'General' started by lightzy, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If you don't want to be on the receiving end of a nation's cutting edge weaponry, I would suggest not starting a war with them. You can retcon whatever reasons, rationale, over-response, etc. you'd like, but the brass tacks is that many more Japanese would have died from a conventional blockade and invasion. The destructive power of the two nukes dropped on Japan were a pittance compared to the fire-bombings of other Japanese cities such as Tokyo. There was a lot more of that in store for Japan plus mass starvation. Recognizing that one plane + one bomb = one city led to the final surrender that saved millions of unnecessary deaths.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

3. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Not a lot of sympathy for a nation that did this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_Massacre in just one city.

That nation is of course gone. Japan today has little relation to it, much the same way that we wouldn't call a German citizen a "soulless Nazi" today, or we wouldn't bitch about the U.S. dropping atomic bombs...oh, wait, people still do that.

The sad fact is that although nukes are dangerous as hell, they saved many lives on both sides in the U.S. / Japan war, and frankly have saved far more lives since then (see: MAD).

-Morloc

4. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Man, I would have never guessed the main reason people stop playing this game is because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

To be fair, the number of blocks you'd need to do a good Hiroshima probably exceeds the engines capabilities.

6. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Americans always seem to omit of forget the fact that Pearl Harbor was a retaliation to a lot of provocation coming from the Americans.

Economic warfare is STILL warfare.
    Knowing that, we see the Americans drew first blood multiple times, until Japan finally got mad and had to do something about it..

So they attacked a military base on what is arguably American soil (ask a Hawaiian Native if they feel their island is part of the empire)

But no other nation has ever been so irresponsible as the Americans to drop a nuclear bomb on somebody. Let alone a civilian city.

Either way, America provoked and started the war with Japan, and have continued to war monger with the rest of the world to this day.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It's a fact. And you read it here first.

8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

We (The United States) dropped prototype bombs of unknown potential on factories known to be essential to Japan's war effort, just as we did in Germany. They were military targets, but with Japan being relatively small and bombing any factories meant bombing a factory town and factory workers, civilian casualties were inevitable. It was war, though. Had Japan have had a nuclear weapon, Pearl Harbor would be a crater.

Both sides chose military targets. We killed more civilians because we used bigger bombs. We were preparing to invade, which would have certainly resulted in much more civilian casualties.

No country that participated in WWII was innocent. Everyone involved thought either openly or secretly that they would prevail and run the world.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So if you're economically sanctioned you can start a shooting war. Got it. I wonder what the Japanese were doing at the time... I wonder... hmmm... perhaps we should ask the population of East and Southeast Asia, especially those living in the Nanjing area.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world containing military targets located in densely populated civilian areas. American policy post WWII... I'm all up for the debate on that. Dropping nukes on Japan... had to happen. I would have done the same in Truman's shoes... every time. There are millions of people alive today that wouldn't be if that decision WASN'T made.

10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Actually, I'm not so sure about that. If I were Truman I would have had them set a nuke off near enough so the Emperor could see it but not close enough to hurt anyone, then tell him there's more where that came from. All of the Japanese military command was well versed in The Art of War. Very likely they would have pushed to sue for peace.

This conversation was sparked by Kamikaze tactics demonstrating a principle of physics SE lacks, causing people to quit.

Cause we explain everything with explosions. We're SE players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm not interested in the explanation of physics or explosions. Everything happens because Klang wills it, infidel. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I'm totally not empty-quoting this.

13. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Ha! JOKES ON YOU! I quit the game because of the reckless geopolitics of the Ottoman empire! What were they thinking?!?!

How am I supposed to spend hours flying my start-ship from asteroid to asteroid desperately looking for cobalt, when the Ottomans yeah who am I kidding I don't know anything about the Ottomans other than they made one hell of a foot-stool.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I blame Canada.

15. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Pleaaase, we all know it was the the republic of Kiribati

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I keep telling people... keep your eye on Finland.

Ever notice how when someone does something really horrific the neighbors always say he was so quiet and never bothered anyone?

That's right, Finland. I'm on to you.

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

18. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Haha, Canada is TOTALLY that guy who is nice and polite, but then keeps children locked in the basement.

19. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

As a Canadian, we do not keep children locked in the basement. For best freshness you need to freeze them as soon as possible so you have plenty to eat over the winter.

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I blame the Bulsheviks.

21. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

This thread has degenerated into a great pile of Bolsheviks.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.