Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Transporting Small Ships Aboard Large Ships

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Beezilbub, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

I wonder if anyone has any ideas for transporting smaller ships aboard large ships. I have a large ship set up as a mobile base and I have a couple of smaller ships that I'd like to take along with me when I move it. I tried locking them to the hull with landing pads but they get sheared off during transit.

Anyone have an idea?

2. wolfsgrim Trainee Engineer

did you tried turning off the reactors from your smaller ships?

3. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

I didn't. I'll give that a shot and see how it works.

4. Meri Trainee Engineer

Turning off inertia stabs and/or reactor should help.
    Ah and aye make sure to have landing gears attached :)

5. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

That the did the trick. Turning off the reactor on the small ship was the key. Thanks Wolf and Meri.:)

6. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

The key to that is turning off gyroscope on small ship.

7. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

Ahhhh ok, see that would be preferable since turning off the reactor also turns off the beacon. And we all know that if something can go wrong, it will! With the beacon still active I could still recover the vehicle (or at least have a chance to) if something went wrong. Thanks Peter.

8. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

If i recall correctly the speed of your acceleration also took into account, so if you throttle and decelerate quickly it can cause the landing gears to be shredded. say 50-15km/h in 2-3s?

9. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

I ran a little test on this last night. Two small ships attached to the larger ship. The larger ship is full of heavy armor so it doesn't accelerate very quickly no matter what I do. lol. With both reactors on the small ship turned off, worked perfectly. I accelerated to full speed then hit the dampeners. No problem.

Turning off just the gyro's did not work as well however. One of the small ships, my mining ship, the Badger sheared off pretty early. The other small ship did stay on but it was vibrating something fierce.The badger is very front heavy with several drills so that may contributed to is shearing off.

Something interesting I noticed with the test run where the small ships were powered up but with their gyro's turned off. The larger ship accelerated MUCH more slowly. I have no idea if this is physics based or just a quirk in the programming but having smaller ships attached to a larger ship seems to increase the mass of the larger ship to a noticeable degree, except when the smaller ships have their reactors powered down.

10. Carrion Senior Engineer

what your dong by turning the reactors off is killing the thrusters that automatically stop movement (dampeners) so it stays on station

by NOT turning them off you have a bunch of thrusters on the small ship putting a breaking force onto the entire group ergo a slower acceleration.
    turning a gyro off doesn't do anything meaning full to the mother ship.

so you have 2 ways to prevent this

1) turn everything off with teh Y key (kills the reactors) so no running thrusters=no breaking force.
    2) turn the dampeners off (X or Z i cant remember off the top of my head) so the ship is powered but not trying to keep itself in one place

11. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

Good point Carrion. That makes sense.

12. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

I have had my small mining ship break free even with the reactors powered off from moving the mother-ship around too fast... Maybe more landing gears will help...

13. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

There is also a bug that occasionally makes your ship break off even if it is powered down.

14. redneckpirate Apprentice Engineer

I've noticed when I'm in a friend's world and we are transporting ships attached to other ship, they seem to "break off" and lag behind the main ship but are still attached. While the other player sees nothing happening, it freaks me out, is this just lag within the multiplayer?

15. Crescent42 Trainee Engineer

I believe it is. Last night I watched a good sized ship move about with two ships in it's hangar and while the pilot said everything was moving smoothly I witnessed some serious turbulence on the ship, having stayed fairly close via jetpack.

This turbulence seems to happen sometimes no matter what, especially if you jump into a cockpit of the ship, or worse, get into one of the smaller ships. Every time I've gotten into a small ship in the hangar even if it's powered down it rips right off immediately.

16. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Turning off the reactors of the docked ships is a good start. Also remember to use enough landing gears. I have found 4 gears will almost permanently afix one ship to another, 2 can work in a pinch if your ship is designed right, but you want to have at Least 3.

17. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

3 landing gear and turning off the reactor keeps my mining pod clamped to my modified rescue ship, though it's position means the ship pitches up during acceleration, and down when braking. a friend of mine had his ship torn in half when his fighter decided it didn't like being moved while docked, so I always take moving my pod slow.

18. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

What is horrible though is the Desync issues. They make my fighter in the hanger warp into a wall and explode.

19. Ferigad Trainee Engineer

Well warp into the wall and explode it the worst possible scenario. More likely (Happend to me when i was still trying to make small carriers for some crafts), on multiplayer server, the docking clamps will smash against the hitboxes of your own ship or the docked one and explode (thats the best case scenario) because of that lag/synch/other issue that i cannot identify.

20. redneckpirate Apprentice Engineer

Desync launched me about a million km from my ship one time. Just reloaded the save because I was spinning so much.

21. Kolb Trainee Engineer

I tested this out last night and found that with the mag locks enabled, the reactor off and the damps online the minor ships would shear off the mother ship.

Changing the damps to off and maintaining the other settings prevented the shearing.

I've been trying to determine if this is 'by design' behavior or not though. If the reactor is offline one would think that the gyros and thusters wouldn't be able to cause opposing forces.

22. Ash87 Senior Engineer

My question, is to if Mass blocks can be used to help ships remain fixed to the hull, by means of pushing the ships down ontop of the force of the magnetic landing gears.

23. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

Doubt that would end well, the small ship would be constantly trying to drag the large ship down, either moving or spinning it depending on where it's docked and how big the large ship is.

24. FatalPapercut Senior Engineer

Anyone tried putting the landing gear on the large ship? Float your smallship over top of the landing gear, hop out, get in the large ship, and lock the gear. Few tests i've tried, the smallship stays clamped solid.

25. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I've used large ship landing gear as a platform for smaller ships. Unfortunately there is no way to group or isolate these so it only works for 1 ship

26. Drumpiedumpie Trainee Engineer

Nah, just hold the big ship still (dampeners enabled) and dock the first small ship. Lock it. Either switch it off or leave it running with dampeners enabled. Don't matter.
    Now you can safely unlock it as long as nothing hits either ship or the large ship starts moving.
    Just dock the second small ship the same way as the first and you'll be fine. Make sure you don't hit the first ship.
    Repeat this process as many times as necessary. We do it all the time on our server.
    You could also do all of this while the big ship is moving (since speed is relative) but this makes the docking process a lot harder.

27. DocMop Junior Engineer

I would strongly recommend to completely disable your landed ships. Otherwise they try to counteract the movements of the big ship which could lead to landing gear failure.

You can leave their reactors running but dampeners and gyros should be deactivated.

28. Drumpiedumpie Trainee Engineer

I tested it. Hooked up my small mining ship underneath a carriage. Testing was done once with just dampeners off and once with both gyros and dampeners off. (Reactors were left on of course)
    I accellerated to 50m/s, moved heavily up and down. Then to 75 m/s, moved up and down again. Finally I just accellerated and moved up down left and right.
    Both times my small mining ship had minimal damage. Some sparks were seen and some heavy armor got dented. I'll see if I can put up a vid later. (It's pretty late over here)
    IMHO we can now safely say that only dampeners are a factor when docked.

29. DocMop Junior Engineer

Did you try to turn heavily? Gyros are for rotation. The sparks come from friction, you have to dock as soon as the landing gear turn yellow to allow some space between the big and the small ship.

30. BrickedKeyboard Apprentice Engineer

The real reason this is happening is because the physics engine is trying to teleport your ships separately from one another in little chunks. At higher speeds, this becomes increasingly inaccurate. This is actually the exact same bug as the "Kraken" from Kerbal Space Program. However, the developers don't think this is a bug.

See here for what the "Kraken" is and what causes it. In this case, I mean the "Deep Space Kraken" : http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Deep_Space_Kraken

See here for my thread on why the devs don't think it's a bug : http://forums.keenswh.com/post/ghost-forces-failure-to-observe-newtons-first-law-6854033?pid=1282394886#post1282394886

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.