Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Troll on Keen Uk server 2

Discussion in 'General' started by Lord Wraith, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lord Wraith Apprentice Engineer

i would like to put in a complaint about another player called corp_uscul on the keen uk2 server. he is just going around wiping out peoples bases and for some reason the turrets do not seem to tack or target him, i think he is using a hide me mod

PLEASE HELP.....

2. Sarekh Senior Engineer

No name calling, especially not in public
    No mods possible on official servers
    griefing is very, very easy in this game, you don't need to cheat for that

3. Lord Wraith Apprentice Engineer

if that is the case please explain why turrets did not track him, i had this with another player but got lucky he was not out to cause harm, as for the griefing, i was not the only player he did this too on the uk2 server, alot of other players are complaining that he has done the same to them, very disappointing to spend alot of hours building bases and ships just to have someone come along with just a grinder and kill you in seconds without your turrets stopping them even when they are stood right infront of them......

4. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Lord Wraith, how do you know that turrets did not track him? Turrets are not very effective at defending an unmanned grid against a determined player. They can be dodged, distracted, or run out of ammo. It is also possible he set his grid ownership to "nobody," which turrets do not target by default.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sarekh Senior Engineer

It's also possible, as witnessed multiple times, to dig below the turrets, come out right before them and do your thing. The turrets, at least the large turrets, do not have the ability to track you if you are right at the base. Missile turrets will not automatically engage players, that's another thing.

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Player builds decoys into his attack and turrets magically don't track him. How could it be? How can a player possibly get turrets to be distracted with some well placed decoys? It's such a mystery.

7. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Sarcasm: >>Detected<<

8. Lord Wraith Apprentice Engineer

Damm Ronin973 keen must have made decoys that you can carry on you so turrets don't attack you if that's the case why have i not got access to them as well or do you know something i don't Ronin973,the only decoys i can only get the ones for ships and bases ......
    --- Automerge ---
    I understand that, have see it myself, but what i'm talking about is for a player, to stand right before a turret with just his/her grinder, and the turret is still looking somewhere else
    --- Automerge ---
    but can a player set himself to nobody so turrets don't attack them, ships and stuff yeah, done that myself, but as far as i know you can not set yourself to nobody

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

A player can set the ownership of his entire grid to "Nobody" and still have full access to the grid. Turrets default at NOT attacking neutral blocks... blocks owned by nobody. Between decoys, gaming-the-system, and players that aren't effectively managing their turrets... his probability of success is pretty high.

Another tactic is to troll turrets until they use up all of their ammo. So you witness the player moving in for the kill and the turrets appear to be disabled even though they are tracking him. But he's already done all of the hard work before the attack.

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

And it's this tactic that causes the most interest response from the turrets. With impotent rage because of being run out of ammo, the turrets begin cursing the offending player. In the SE community, this response is what is known as "Turret's Syndrome."

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The best defense in SE is to HIDE your assets. It's not foolproof, you will eventually be discovered. You will also survive longer if you stash your assets in more than one location. Having a small back-up base to fall back to if you lose your primary can lessen the impact. A couple of large containers and a fully charge battery can last for WEEKS. A warhead and a sensor can keep your goods out of the hands of anyone who gets close enough to grind it.

12. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I just played on a mp server. A single player without a ship against 5 players and 20 turrets. He destroyed a large jump ship with 4 large reactors and 30 batteries in 2 minutes. Then took another 10 minutes to destroy most of the base. He was killed , respawns in the space pod which he rammed into what remained of the jump ship. I have no idea how someone who just spawned can get to a base, or what he used. One time he flew past and didn't even have a gun or grinder but a jump drive and 5 or 6 batteries exploded. I can't imagine how an undefended base stands a chance.

The big gats fired at him a lot, the interior turrets didn't seem to. My small ship gatiling turret never fired, yes I double checked the settings. I killed him twice with main guns on my utility ship, mostly the other players killed him with rifles.

At the end of 25 minutes a the entire base was a loss. The jump ship was our main project, was gone except for a few batteries, the refineries and large cargo mostly destroyed. The biggest value in the base was the large reactors and jump drives, and they were destroyed so our attacker gained nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lord Wraith Apprentice Engineer

but can a player set himself to nobody so turrets don't attack them, ships and stuff yeah, done that myself, but as far as i know you can not set yourself to nobody

And yet to the keen engineers and programmers this is normal, and within the rules of the game, the problem is that there are trolls and griefers out there that just come onto the servers to cause trouble for other players, i think keen needs to re-look at the way their servers are run, perhaps they should understand that the majority of people who play SE do so because the love to build, if this sort of behavior is not stopped and soon, keen will start to lose people and players from the game, not only that but the one thing that spreads faster than light is bad news, when others who are looking to join the SE community and want to buy the game, hear about this sort of thing happening on keen servers they will walk away and not want to part with their money....... One of the few things i would do to change things is introduce a cool down time on the respawn by at least a minute, or introduce an anti-grief device that you can place at you base only that prevent other players from respawning constantly at the same location, if you like a limited number of respawns within a given time.....

14. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

The same person that figured out how to be invisible to turrets will be the guy that figures out how to bypass the anti-grief device. They all already know how to spawn when and where they want. You can't tweak griefing out of the game. Every fix has a workaround. You can't stop it. At best you can limit it. Active monitoring works best. That costs money.

If a server is free for anyone and everyone, you can bet there's no money to pay for Monitors. That means no one is paying attention, which is the perfect environment for griefers. That's why it happens so much on public servers. You should not expect anything different on Keen's servers. The very day Marek confirmed that there would be Keen servers, in the next breath he said they were discussing methods to get the money to keep them going. I'm sure one of the goals is to provide active monitoring because they want people to feel safe using their servers. So players will eventually have to pay directly or buy lots of skins.

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

They should adjust their cooldown system. I think ALL respawns should be measured in minutes of cooldown... even using a space suit. If you die once in a space suit... you respawn... but if you die a second time in 30 minutes... you wait for that 30 minutes. Trolls and griefers won't wait a half hour to follow up on their griefing. This also gives time to someone who is attacked to either repair or get away. You get one respawn and if you blow it and die a second time... you get a time out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. cataractus Apprentice Engineer

It looks like some of admin settings are carried on client side. With some skill you could change them or paste blueprint on survival multi even with use of cheat engine. Some time ago there was a griefer pasting armed warheads with active 1s timer all over other players bases and ships.

17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

The short solution to this is to rent your own server, or run one. That way you can control what goes on and who plays on your server, if you want pvp without griefing you can do, if you just want to coop build with your mates you can do. If you play on one of the official open servers then you ARE going to get trolled eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

And if he kills the defender twice he has all the time to destroy his base.... not thought to the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roxette Senior Engineer

If not by other players, then by Keen, one way or another...

20. Cetric Junior Engineer

Didn't read initial post at all, but wanted to do you the favor. :D
    Possibly I qualify as well for some sort of... troll ... or griefer...
    alright, going to read thread opener now...

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Turrets have minimum targeting distance, so you can stand right beneath them.

1) Did the turrets still have ammo?
    2) Were the turrets owned by somebody (as opposed to nobody)?
    3) Did the turrets ever fire that you saw?
    4) Could the player be damaged by other means like grinder or hand rifle?
    5) Were the turrets set to target characters?

22. Thrak Junior Engineer

The "late" tag is inherently "trollish" in my opinion. You tend to slap it on any post from a relatively new member of the forums who, innocently and quite understandably, asks a "noob" question. Instead of welcoming them, instead of making them feel invited to the community, you stigmatize them. Frankly, it's a dick move. Don't like it when people do it you? Then stop doing it to others.

Many have elaborated on this. The only thing I might add: Consider a layered defense. On the official Keen DS, I make sure my turrets have overlapping fields of fire and that some, at least, are dedicated to shooting characters only. I also tend to group all of my turrets together so I can toggle "Target Neutrals" ON/OFF from a hot bar (actually, for stuff like this, I always dedicate one button for ON and another for OFF, to help ensure everything is synced up).

Okay, one other thing: The Keen devs are the only ones who can change official server settings-- the volunteer admins cannot. I am pretty sure that, although they added a cooldown timer for the spacepod spawn ship in the last patch, the Keen devs have not actually modified the official servers setup. Or, at least, not on all the official servers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, you made this complaint here Sunday. Now it's Friday.

Has anything changed (he asked, naively)?

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Don't get killed twice defending your base. Defenders have the advantage.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.