Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Trying to Build a 1:1 Scale Omega Destroyer from Babylon 5(Part 2)--Image Heavy--

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by gearheadkinny2, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

So after a very long break with life and all that(including another kid) and waiting on new features and performance updates from Keen. I've started to work on my Babylon 5 Omega Destroyer again. Currently its in pieces due to the size and lack of performance from my computer. Here is the prior thread on it to catch everyone up.

http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/t...scale-omega-destroyer-from-babylon-5.6640220/

I'm starting a new thread and a new login due to being unable to access the old one. So far I'm currently working on the lateral starfury launch bays and the concept is now mostly complete. They are functional and can transfer through the conveyer network.

Let me know what you think.

Here are a few pictures of the old setup and then the new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I would not be brave enough to stick a Connector to a Piston and actually use it for docking D:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Not sure I would either, especially when the assembly is also stuck on a rotor, but: does that Starfury launch thing actually rotate first, then drop, like in the series?

~heavy breathing~

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

It is a bit crazy and yes it does the rotate and drop like the show though not quite as fast. I'm only running in creative with damage turned off at the moment so it works like a champ. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

And for those who are curious, a short clip of it in action(Need some free video capture software that has more than a 30 second limit. Any ideas?)
    This is from the remote station on the ship, the entire sequence can be run from onboard the starfury as well.
    And just for kicks I ran the sequence through with damage turned on and it worked without explosions or such drama.

Should be set to public now

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

Your video is set to private. I bought Fraps a good while back, worth the 20 bucks or so I spent on it for decent video capture.

7. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Should be set to public now, my own very first youtube upload. Figures i'd foul it up just a bit!

8. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

That's pretty cool. You should set up a few timers so that you only need to press one button instead of multiple buttons.

9. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Very nice! And OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is what I and some others use. Takes a little fiddling to set up, but it's worked great for me so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

I'm all about that OBS multiplatform life. Though for the life of me, even with 2 tracks, I can't get it to separate my teamspeak audio from my game audio.

11. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Ok, good news for anyone following or interested in my large builds, in about a week or so I'm getting the parts to build a new computer. Going from my current setup of a Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 GHz with 8 GB of ram and a GEForce GTX 260 to a Intel I5 6600 with 16 GB of ram and a GEForce 970 and a solid state hard drive. I should now be able to continue with the work on these large projects. Until then here is my little mini project. Of course its 1:1 Scale and from the Babylon 5 universe.

Current progress(Just started)

[​IMG]

And the eventual project at 1400 Meters

[​IMG]

Should be fun

• Like Like x 2
  12. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Little progress update on the G'Quan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having alot of fun trying to get the shape/slope of the outer hull to look right. This is where I'm at so far and I think I've got it(with maybe a few tweeks here or there). Very time consuming though and my old rig is already slowing down.

On a side note I'm having some graphics issues that one of you fine people might be able to help me out with. My 1X2 sloped armor blocks visually change back to a 1X1 slope when I'm more than maybe 50 Meters or so away from them, and various other missing block(visual only) issues. Any ideas if its an engine thing or a graphics card on my end thing? Thanks and let me know what you think of the progress.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

First of all: i love what you're doing here. Good luck with the size, though.

Weirdly enough this isn't exactly new, they just fixed that already. Are you perchance using DX9?

14. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Yep, my old card doesn't support DX11

15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

... You know i understand why DX9 doesn't get Planets but how hard can it be to give DX9 some more LOD models? I am disappoint in Keen. 'cause that's probably what's going on; they don't have enough low-detail models for further away. Soooo in a way it's normal and you don't need to worry about. Shake a fist at clouds, but not worry.

16. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Well I'm getting a new rig this week so it should all be good.

17. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

So I finally have my new rig built and its like I can do anything. Even on my Omega destroyer it runs pretty damn smooth. Its great. I'm going to try to finish up this G'Quan first before I go back to my other ships. Here's the progress.

[​IMG]

About 2/3 of the primary hull done, then the wings and finally engines forward weapons. Lots to do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

So it looks like most of those forward weapons are very bulky, can hide a lot of interior space in there. I'm not so sure I'd block it off with a big gray vertical wall.. Personally I would build the outer shape as a shell to maximize interior space.

19. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

That big grey wall is just temporary at this point until I join all the engine and weapons connections. As of right now the entire shell is hollow.

20. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

More Progress.
    [​IMG]

21. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

And just for fun to try and set my computer on fire.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

And some more playing around on the Omega.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got one side of Starfury bays almost complete.(Just need to reprogram the launch sequencing on about half of them. Turns out if once you start adding bays and fighters it starts to slow everything up. Who knew?
    Since the Omega lives again I'll republish this updated one on the workshop soon so everyone can play around with it if they would like to.

Also here is a much better vid of the launch sequence and a flyby of the Omega.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  23. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

New Update,
    Been busy with life as always, so not a whole lot of progress.
    Finalized the design of the repair fury and built up the hangers for them.

Pics and Video
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a quick spin.

As always tell me what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  24. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Why do I keep ending up building stupidly large things??

Here is about 3.2 kilometers worth of stupid that is almost finished.

[​IMG]

Why must I try to kill my computers?

25. David Halston Apprentice Engineer

26. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

And the completed jumpgate.
    [​IMG]
    Will put this up on the workshop in a while.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Because it's there.

• Like Like x 1
  28. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

And the last of the oversized, CPU-melting craziness for a little while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Omega Destroyer(1.6 Kilometers long) for scale

I think I might need a smaller project.

• Like Like x 3
  29. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Ok so now this is just going to be my random Babylon 5 dumping ground. Here is so small ship stuff for you all.

EA Crew Shuttle
    [​IMG]

My Version - All works with a carrying capacity of 2 crew + 20 passengers and 12 medium cargo containers. All functional except for internal engines for the looks and to rear door/hatch.
    I haven't figured that one out so if anyone has some ideas please let me know. Full conveyor support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, share your thoughts.

30. damoran Junior Engineer

I'll say you are rather good at it though. Also, the bigger things are the more detailed they get and well it's just beautiful.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.