Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Unsupported blocks in a gravity field

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Carl Slaughter, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Carl Slaughter Trainee Engineer

On a planet or moon where there s natural gravity, if I have an unsupported block or a ship with it's thrusters off, it will fall to the ground (Just like gravity should work). However in space where there is an artificial gravity field, the same behavior is not observed.

Is there a way to make artificial gravity and natural gravity work the same?

Carl

2. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Slap some artificial mass on.

3. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Only players, rocks, ingots and components feel artificial gravity. Take SpecFrigate's advice.

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

In my experience, and I just tested it, that's not true. If I'm in space and have a structure within an artificial gravity field, then grind off a block so that part of the structure is no longer attached, the free part of the structure just continues to float along there. In fact, I can reinsert the missing block and reconnect the floating structure without any problem. However, if I'm grinding away within that artificial gravity field and overload my carrying capability so that extraneous parts are released, they fall down like a sorority girl on a Friday night. It's inconsistent.

5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

'structure' is a grid. grids are not affected by artificial gravity, they wont be pulled or pushed and will just float free. players and 'floating object' type entities (anything you can put into or drop out of your inventory, as well as some of the phantom floatey fade away pebbles made when drilling that you cant pick up) are affected, but not grids. unless there is an artificial mass block on the grid, and even then, the grid will only 'weigh' as much as the artificial mass block does, though it still has its full inertial mass when you try to move it.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That logic seems artificial. I contend that once a structure or component is no longer connected to the "grid" that is should follow the laws of physics. But, hey, it is what it is.

7. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

What? There is no such thing like structure. If you have a ship or station or any other composition of blocks, it is a grid. If you split that grid in half, it becomes two grids. Even if your ship gets hit by rocket and some armor block gets separated from the grid, that one piece of armor becomes another grid.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I guess I need to read up on the basic programming structure of SE. So you're saying the ship, when hit by a rocket and broken into free-floating pieces that go spinning off into space are still part of that "grid", each floating away into the ether?

9. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

They creates their own separate grids. In se every block must be on some grid. If it detached from one grid, that block itself creates its own new grid not connected to previous.
    You can build flight seat, reactor and thruster to that floating piece and call it a new ship.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I ran a test whereupon I did an easy start earth map and ground out blocks on both sides of a center block on one of the archways. Guess what? The center block fell to the deck. So why, in an artificial gravity field, do the blocks that are ground free not fall? Why the inconsistency? Inquiring minds need to know...

11. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Because if artificial gravity could affect grids then it would be not possible to use gravity generators on ships to walk on them. Thats why only natural gravity affect grids.

12. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Simply put, that's just how the game works.
    To elaborate, some things are as they are simply because it's the best way to make the game work. Natural and artificial gravity acting differently has been brought up before.
    Yes, it makes no sense in universe without handwaving art grav as some sorta magnetic field. Yes, we now have magnetic boots. Yes, removing art grav would make for a more "hard sci fi" feel. Yes, gravgens and art mass break standard physics.

13. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Art gravity is not pulling things towards the grid. Instead it is applying gravity in a direction. If the gravity affected grids than it would be propulsion since the game gets a bit odd with conservation of energy type things. (See gravity drives)
    Personally I think it was a gameplay decision. Imagine having a lightly powered ship that gets thrown around by gravity gen of your base.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.