Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.5.7 - Give ME A Sign

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! We found some old timbers lying around, slapped them together and gave them a lick of paint, and suddenly we rediscovered the long lost art of Sign making! And we are sharing this with the world! Now you too can make your own signs!
    We also restarted the community localization project, so if you please have a few spare minutes, you can help us out bringing the game to your language!
    Finally, we have a couple of mods that we'd like some feedback on. Rather than push the feature straight into vanilla, we're trying this mod-first approach to see the response from the community. Check out these three mods and let us know what you think!

Features
    - Added Sign Blocks
    - Community Localization Project: http://www.medievalengineers.com/features/localization/

Community Feedback Wanted
    - Claimblocks Require Sky: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940959871
    - Weapon Protection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945994453
    - Grid Protection System: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=944905772

Fixes
    - Fixed tooltips on several blocks.
    - Fixed default blueprints' chest contents.

Modding
    - Added MySignpostComponent to whitelist.
    - Added MyBindableRespawnComponent to whitelist.
    - Added MyLootTableDefinition and MyInventoryBaseLootExtensions to whitelist.

!Modding warning!
    Heads up to all the modders out there that touch our visual inventory'd blocks like the tables and stockpiles, or implemented their own visual inventory blocks! We forgot to mention an important little detail.

We also introduced the ability of adding multiple stockpile components to blocks, which means that if you have multiple inventories and multiple stockpile components, you can show different things on the block. Great for furnaces, for example, to show the fuel supply.

However, this change meant that you need to give the stockpile component a unique subtype id, it cannot have the same subtype id as the inventory component, for example. Otherwise, the stockpile component will overwrite the inventory component and display black cubes instead.

We updated this for all our vanilla blocks, but if you used our definitions as an example, you'll have to do this as well. An example can be found in the Large Stockpile for Logs, where we renamed the Stockpile Component to StockpileLogVisual.

Don't rename the inventory components, because then players will lose the inventory contents!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  2. OmEgA_StOrM

Wow I was so looking forward to signs they will help sp much
    thanks alot Keen

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Concomitant

Does this mean Christmas is now in June?

4. Forcedminer

♫ Give me a sign ♫
    ♫ Hit me, baby, one more time ♫

5. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

It's actually in July but we couldn't wait

6. Sanfard

I like the idea of the "Claimblocks Require Sky" mod. However, I think a decent alternative would be to also allow structures to be built over them. This way, they aren't in an invincible underground position, but they also aren't too exposed.

For the "Weapon Protection" mod, I think that fractured stone blocks should still be able to be damaged by weapons. Stone debris from fractured stone structures tends to get in the way of projectiles, making it somewhat tedious to create an opening without manually bashing your way through the fractured stone.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Silen

Just a week ago a friend and I were thinking it would've been cool to have signs in the game. And then, here we go!

Much love haha.

Edit: About the feedback, weapon protection seems like an okay mod, I think it would work in the vanilla game. However, in regards of the claim block I think you still should be able to place it inside of a castle for example, having an open roof means easy access to enemies, just build something tall enough and you'll get inside and break it, same thing with pretty much every other way. However I do admit that underground claim blocks are annoying. Maybe make it so that claim blocks cannot be placed below a certain ground level? Not sure, I'm a bit scared of this mod and at the same time something needs to be done.

About the protection one, if I understand correctly it allows people to raid only in a certain period of time. I guess it's an improvement towards proper offline protection, but it would force some people to be online at certain times. What if you can't be online in "raid time"? It's a bit meh as an offline protection.

What I'd rather do is make it so that you cannot attack or destroy a claimed area when the player is offline, and also those areas have like a 20 minutes (time is up to you, just making an example) cooldown from when the player quit, this way people cannot quit immediately when someone tries to siege them. This system would work best in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. kitsunelegendXx

You know its a great patchmas when Deepflame channels the spirit of Billy Mays... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

9. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

In regard to the suggestions about the way we're trying offline protection. There are a lot of ways that this kind of thing can be exploited. For instance, say that some players spend a few days gearing up for a major siege, they spend even more time moving all of their siege equipment into place. The guy they are attacking, Mr. Troll, decides he's going to lose so he simply leaves the server. Now these guys who have spent who-know-how-much-time on this siege suddenly can't do anything. They leave and Mr. Troll signs back on, never having to improve his defenses or join in the PvP at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Scorpion00021

Nice, I love the sign blocks!

Feedback on mods:
    Claimblocks Require Sky: I like the idea. +1
    Weapon Protection: Great idea. Stone blocks should not be vulnerable to swords, clubs, tools, or arrows in my opinion. An attacking player should need some sort of siege weapon to destroy anything stone.
    Grid Protection System: I would be 100% for this idea if there was absolutely no interest in adding NPC defenders to the game. Ideally, a player could assign npcs to guard areas of a grid and could respawn over a given time. This could prevent most cases of trolling because the attacking player would actually have to fight the castle whether or not a player is home. If this isnt going to be done, then the Grid Protection System is a reasonable compromise that keeps players safe while offline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ed Frost

yay
    --- Automerge ---
    i like the idea of the grid protection one... makes me think of my time in life is feudal with judgement hour flashbacks of the horror.... you could implement it as a possibility... if(0 == infinite)

12. Scorpion00021

This could be countered with a vulnerability timer.

Player 1 attacks player 2 at Grid "Alpha" (owned by player 2)
    player 2 leaves the game
    Since grid "Alpha" was under attack when player 2 left the game, the grid remains vulnerable for 15 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harrekin

What if number of defenders was based on total number of blocks in the static grid?

Or you need a bed for each defender and theres some kind of block you need to put food into (like a claim block).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Silen

Yeah, that's why I also suggested a "cooldown" timer which makes the player vulnerable for an amount of time if he logs out.

15. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

I'm on my 3rd watch of the video. It's so much fun. Billy Mays forever!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cetric

Maybe for multiplayer at appointed times defender *has* to be present, either personally or (1) he can appoint a friend taking his place (2) a bot takes his role.
    Of course option (2) is worse, so the defender has to see to it being either present or at least assign someone as his substitute. The bot idea is just for preventing guys avoiding the conflict altogether, as Cpt Twinkie just explained.
    - Claimblocks requiring free sky above them is a good idea. Take the purpose of a claim as argument: it should be clearly visible to anyone declaring this area belongs to Lord X, this function isn't given by burying the claimblock somewhere nobody can see it.
    Visibility is a must for something which 'claims' something for the public.
    - agree also to the protection of stone walls to hand weapons. For that we have war machines, don't we? If you could destroy any wall by your sword, why should anyone still want to build catapults?
    - about grid protection system: the time frame should be negotiable between all members of the multiplayer game, so they agree on a time window together. And if then you are still not available to attend the date, see my first lines for proposals.

17. FlakMagnet

what can I say ....we have been given a sign!

Deepflame has given us a miracle. He has brought forth enjoyment from Medievel Engineers :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. OmEgA_StOrM

Or an other option would be that you could choos the amount of defenders but the mor you take the higher your tax for the claimblock will get

19. BloodThunder

As always, much thanks! I'm really excited for the signs.

Can't wait to get home and try them out!

As for the community mods, they sound awesome and very much in line with how I run my server. The idea of a dedicated war time is much preferred to offline raiding.

20. Harrekin

Same effect.

The reason I went my direction is because it gives us reasons to have crew quarters.

21. OmEgA_StOrM

I guess probably a combination of both would be the best because beds a cheap to make and i can really see somebody just spamming rooms full of beds

22. tmike

I could see a way to give that, By having a food requerment as wel, and there are other ways we can put limits on it as well, Though if you have a 4 gride castle bild or even larger village should have a fair nuber of definders, you could also limit the number of npc definders by putting in a limit on how closely beds can be packed togeater, and the player should have to both feed and arm them, or equpe NPCs will tools. and they should not auto maticly respown if killed

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Harrekin

Castles just have so much unused space, seems just paying extra taxes is a waste of an opportunity at some new content.

Anything to fill those empty rooms...

24. ibisgrunk

these 3 Protection mods address the disparity between how long it takes to build and how little time it takes to destroy [unless using siege craft] imho. i will certainly use them and would go as far as to say i will only play on servers that have them active, that is how cool to me they are [as is that direction in general]. it would be my first incentive to get back into the game since leaving in April. i hated spending days and days building things just to boot in the next day to nothing... no claim, no walls, nothing... and no history or reason why. that killed the game for me last time: booting into emptiness and having witnessed no opposition while online. i implore the dev team to include a Battle History or some log that i can at least figure out what happened (who joined the server and when type of info).

i think two new threads are needed separately from this update thread: (1) improving War, and (2) how to deal with Trolls knowing a castle is no fun unless its tested...

[quick thought, quick edit: what if Open Sky blocks required No or Reduced taxes? so if a guy buries a claimblock fifty stone cubes inside a stone mountain tunnel, he has to pay far more taxes, a kind of balance to that smart game play but weak historical engineering difference for the claimblock placement? put simply > the more daylight for your claimblock the less tax]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Sanfard

The idea behind the Grid Protection System mod seems pretty neat, but I think that it may bring to light the problem that it is currently far easier to repair things than it is to destroy them, when people are both actively attacking and defending at the same time. It takes at least two maximum-velocity large projectiles to even fracture a stone cube, which can be repaired with at most seven swings of a hammer. If there are an equal number of defenders focused on repairing damage as there are attackers, then I think that the attackers will have a hard time getting through, especially if the defenders have plenty of stockpiles lying about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Scorpion00021

I do like the idea of having beds or some physical means of spawning/maintaing each defender. I would be ok with having a set limit of like 10 per grid to keep the numbers reasonable.

27. TheBoot

Kudos for adding signs. Nice addition to the game!:tu:

28. boromir

Or introduce a Barracks Authority block (possibly require placement in an enclosed building) which functions similar to the Claim block but for ownership of soldiers and tax assessment to manage your NPC army as described above. I would also like to see a Battle-desk item that would manage your researches / unlocks of various weapons and soldier skills (pikeman, crossbowman, swordsman, mounted knight, etc.) and assigning these skills to your owned NPCs. Ownership would involve training soldiers (and adding beds) as well as allow for deserters if you aren't able to meet their needs regularly (happiness). Happiness could open the door for a ruthless rule (fear and oppression) or an extremely friendly rule over your NPCs. I'm sorry this got so far off track - the ideas just wouldn't stop flowing.

Right, +1 for the signs. :tu:

• Like Like x 2
  29. Nethemas

30. Cetric

That reminds me of the proposal of bringing fire into the game (well, there is always a demand for adding water - that makes a nice pair) as a siege weapon which, when sent into a sieged town/castle (via burning projectiles) may not only consume wooden structures (and needing firefighting efforts by the defenders - hello water!) but if aiming good would demolish stockpiles of timber (if they lay in collapsing buildings or even in the open yard) thus occupying defenders much more than just letting them swing hammers for easy repairs seven times.
    With the use of fire attackers multiply the havoc in the targetted area.
    Adds much drama to sieging.