Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.5.8 - Hat-Trick Tuesday

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! This week we have a choice selection of bug fixes for you, and a few minor features. A lot of the fixes are focused around the crafting and fuel systems, as well as the character interaction. We also addressed some of the game start-up issues people have reported.
    Enjoy this update, and let us know what you think as usual!

Features
    - Added display of fuel time remaining to fuel bar on crafting screen.
    - Added projectile items to the shelves.
    - Now synchronizing the pick-up animation in multiplayer. See your friends' grabby hands in action!

Fixes
    - Fixed an issue where clearing default bindings would not save correctly. (Public bugreport)
    - Fixed an issue where the fuel component would not save the fuel progress. (Public bugreport)
    - Fixed fuel on campfire and furnace not displaying correctly in multiplayer.
    - Fixed crafting queue not saving.
    - Fixed crafting queue not serializing in multiplayer.
    - Fixed campfires not playing cooking sound.
    - Fixed stats bars not displaying the effect of food correctly.
    - Fixed an issue where you couldn't place another claimblock on the same grid.
    - Fixed inventory screen opening sound effect being played more than once at a time.
    - Updated voxel hand configuration screen to look a little nicer.
    - Fixed an issue where you can open multiple character key group screens at the same time.
    - Fixed an issue where you could click promote on a player requesting to join your faction, if you had medieval master enabled.
    - Inverted the incorrect inversion of the machicolation names. (We spotted it on a Radioman03 video!)
    - Updated part of the renderer, this should hopefully solve some of the game-wont-start issues.
    - Minor performance improvements to the building and deconstructing of very large grids.
    - Fixed signpost detection, it should be easier to aim at them now.

Modding
    - Fixed some security holes in modapi. Not going to tell you which. ;)
    - Some of the MultiBlock definition errors will now be displayed on the F11 error log.

Medieval Engineers update 0.5.8.D9854B:
    - Fixed another input override issue.
    - Fixed house members unable to pay taxes.
    - Fixed a crash preventing some worlds from loading.
    - Fixed an issue causing incorrect voxel texture lodding.
    - Fixed an issue where the display settings did not save correctly.
    - Fixed an issue where landscape stakes would be in an incorrect position.

As usual, pre_hotfix branch is live with the version right before the hotfix, so if your favourite DS has not yet updated, you can switch to this branch for a while. :)

Known issues
    As of the hotfix, when we fixed the house members unable to pay taxes for you, we accidentally forgot to check if you are the owner of the block, and not in a house. So right now, if you are not in a house, you cannot pay taxes at all. Work-around is to create your own house, then it will be fine again. Because we already merged the work for next week, we can no longer prepare another hotfix. So you'll get this fix next week. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Sir_Moodz

All hail the king (DF)

3. Silen

Thanks for the update and the explanations on why the timer suggestion for the offline protection isn't possible, I admit it is too complicated in the end. Also allowing claim block to be in a castle but not below the ground is a great compromise imho!

4. beelzerob

That's a lot of bug fixes. Which are always awesome.

5. Ed Frost

YAAAY

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deepflame ME Director Developer

Go big or go home. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Cetric

Do they ever make holidays at KEEN Software Church? Permanent teasing by weekly updates! :)

8. SpaceEngy

9. Cetric

I as the modding fool would anyway not understand the explanation. But I appreciate this humorous comment.

10. Captain Amazing

Can we set the claim blocks to 'never'?

As long as I can be griefed I'm not interested.

Don't try to tell people how to enjoy your game. Some people like griefing. Great. Dedicated 24/7 PvP. Griefer paradise. Some people like building castles and being cooperative and fucking HATE being griefed. PvE is a simple solution. Given the option of boring single player and griefing multiplayer I'll choose to play another game. Deepflame, what happened in your childhood that you can't build a game that doesn't allow you to grief? Hit the gym, you'll feel better about yourself.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Forcedminer

[​IMG]

a hat based item.
    and not just any hat based item....a flaming one to!

12. Helaton

+1 for the Church of Deepflame

13. ibisgrunk

don't hate the chef because he is still cooking dinner, its not ready yet, so dont jump all over the chef until the meal is on your place setting on your table?

ideas to help: btw join a larger House on any server and you can get that protection, i did and it worked... with the larger group just like in our human history we gathered for safety in numbers. your plight is historical... you are akin to a single homesteader in 1250 a.d. eastern England and getting pissed about Viking raids... really pissed? quit living alone and wondering why the Vikings keep messing with you, i've got close to 700 hours from North American servers and i dont recognize your name handle being online ever -- please PM me in private with your player name if you could. i also will invite you to a server i play where you wont be griefed.

ideas to help: Or rather than go to a gym, why dont you host a server with the DF Prot mods locked in, police the players as admin, and create a server which has no griefers? label it publicly as the server that kills griefers... that is not the game's issue - its how the server is played/admin issue imho. my concern is we need opposing forces to our castle builds and for me the heart accelerator in this game is seeing someone outside your castle trying to get in. i dont play ME to farm. happened last night, the pressure of trebuchet shells hitting our attack tower as we scrambled to build response catapults. this is online stuff, not offline so i get that pain*. its a complete blast... and i believe in its natural state ME is a hostile world where a barbarian can come out of nowhere and attack! a lot of folks just put their goods out in the open too much. i also have been personally sought out for destruction where the guy waited until i logged off around 2am and came in and wiped me... when i logged back in around 9 am everything i had was gone... so trust me when i tell you i have been exactly in your emotional state. i just dont want DF to go to a gym....

* suggestion (1) to the dev team would be make a grid for folks that want it completely un-tress-passable unless it's owner is online (and realize cowards will quit a war, and like all things flaws to the ideas here). you cannot even enter that grid without the player online (i am picturing that city wall in the movie Dune)... let folks have the options. suggestion (2) have a log of which players came into the server and when so griefers can be posted. (3) i would love to have a whole section of the world known as PvE and that area (lets make it Umbril) has excessive resources but is a 100% war zone and where we invite warring houses to take their battle to perhaps with another safe zone like accessibility... (4) make chests or one new type of chest completely un-operable, that one thing like a strongbox we can all keep even if a griefer takes all other things -- like a large chest only openable by the player, that type of thing at least means post griefing you aren't standing there surrounded by ashes. i would love a historical version of this: . let me keep my antlers, some iron, and precious precious things in that chest...

New Mod: the I AM OFFLINE MOD AND HERE IS MY CLAIMBLOCK AS SEEN FROM POTENTIAL GRIEFER:

[​IMG]

14. Merandix

Could anyone tell -which- Keen-mod that was included in that awesome Abbey build Keen are considering making vanilla? I'm not too up to date with mods, so I couldn't tell which one.

Awesome work guys! Any news on the mechanical blocks or any prerequisite updates? My curiosity is burning :p

15. Deepflame ME Director Developer

We discussed the concept of having lockable chests, and the designers decided that since there's already doors in the way, making the chests lockable is not strictly necessary. Especially since it would mean that raiders looking to steal some valuable stuff would smash all your chests completely as they're locked, causing all your items to fall on the floor and eventually despawn. Right now they will just get in, steal the valuable stuff, but leave you at least your collection of logs and large stones and other random things they cannot be bothered taking.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. FlakMagnet

Yay! I want a flaming hat :)

Nice set of bugfixes and it's great that Deepflame is collecting information and using mods as ways of testing ideas and getting feedback. Really makes me feel like I am invovled in developing the game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Phoenix84

Lol, that ending of the video.

If you have an MP game, you will get griefing.
    It's one reason I don't play MP games. (The other being I don't enjoy playing with other people in general.)

18. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

Every Tuesday is official keen holiday

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Cetric

Too many people out there who's prime fun interest is to do havoc to others in an unfair manner, it's part of general internet behavior where less social control is felt and people feel encouraged to 'misbehaving' without consequences for them.
    Just like in forums. :p I am with you, because I am the single player type myself.
    However, I can imagine MP could be fun if you only were with the right people agreeing with you on certain rules. That is; no griefing.
    I can imagine you like to put the feet on the table once a week and watch the reactions coming in for the latest patch/update. Curiosity how the community reacts..
    And then the reports come in... hotfix needed... this and that...
    I was thinking you guys deserve a little rest like closing down for one-two weeks and going to the beaches somewhere in Spain or Italy for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

We caught hell last summer when about half of our employees were taking vacation. People were mining salt at record rates. It was terrible.

21. ibisgrunk

after i have been raided there is nothing but an empty landscape, no walls, no doors - every single thing i have built is gone. every table, chest, antler on the wall. all gone. nothing. i am often impressed in how much gets removed. imagine the buzzkill for me though. aint nothing you can do but stare at your work missing. yeah i have uninstalled and reinstalled ME dozens of time...

i would say 80% of all my building time, lets call that 500 hours, has been vaporized by an offline raider. its imho the greatest difficulty to the games' fun factor. i once logged off at 1 a.m. and came back on the server at 9 a.m. and everything was gone. someone was waiting for me to log off... do not underestimate the folks that only want to break other's scheisse in ME. in all the glory that is ME it has attracted the worst of the worst also.

suggestions: (1) PLAYER KICK VOTE, (2) log of players and maybe IP addresses of those that joined the server and when - even better would be a history of their travels so we can get on top of the griefers, (3) something fair so that OFFLINE players aren't ruined (my Dune shield).

once fully released the only way, the only way, i would play ME and really get into building again is when i host as an admin on a whitelist server. anything else is too risky for time loss imho.

22. Helaton

Good thing you work on Medieval Engineers. Salt is incredibly valuable in the medieval world.

23. Deepflame ME Director Developer

Medieval Engineers update 0.5.8.D9854B:
    - Fixed another input override issue.
    - Fixed house members unable to pay taxes.
    - Fixed a crash preventing some worlds from loading.
    - Fixed an issue causing incorrect voxel texture lodding.
    - Fixed an issue where the display settings did not save correctly.
    - Fixed an issue where landscape stakes would be in an incorrect position.

As usual, pre_hotfix branch is live with the version right before the hotfix, so if your favourite DS has not yet updated, you can switch to this branch for a while. :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concomitant

PRAISE BE TO THE JANITOR!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Ghostickles

Thanks KEEN,
    Why not make attackers stake a claim to adjoining territories and launch attacks from there, like a "siege camp"..
    Something like; claims can only be attacked if the attacker (House) controls an adjoining claim (or reasonable range) and put a cool down timer on it - say 24 hours or whatever, then after a claim HAS EXISTED for 24 hours any adjoining/neighboring claims could be attacked.. This would give everyone time to know there was war, set the stage for territorial dispute, yet also allow for preemptive defense (the idea being the defenders claim has existed 24 hours already, making an attackers 'camp' claim vulnerable to those defenders who would sally forth).
    Hope you can smell what I am stepping in.
    The schedule thingy reeks of officiousness. Let the players play the game out as it happens, online or off.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Cetric

I catched the fragrance despite the nose-guard on my helmet. Tend to believe it smells like burned timber (if we only had fire...), of... counter-attacked catapults... :)

27. Hanfree

Add real new content
    Thanks

28. Tonio

Hello !
    Great work guys !
    I have just one question : I have Medieval Engineers (bought on Steam) and I don't know how to go back to 0.4.20 version in purpose to acces my old maps. Can you help me please ?

29. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

@Tonio

- Right click on Medieval Engineers in your Steam Library.
    - Go to properties.
    - Go to BETA tab.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Ed Frost

UPDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... waaaait... its monday... never mind that. awkwardly walks away

• Late Late x 1