Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.6.2 - Happy New Year!

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Hello, Engineers!
    Happy New Year everyone! We hope you all got through the festive weeks with full bellies and happy memories. For us, 2017 was an excellent year, where we saw new peaks in player counts, and lots of exciting new content. To start the new year off with a bang we've prepared a great update for you guys! The list is pretty large, so enjoy reading (And playing!) through all the changes we've prepared for you!

0.6.2.jpg

New Features:
    - Log walls: Similar to the palisades, these blocks allow you to create your buildings in a different style, it is available early on in the game, before moving on to the clay or stone walls.
    - Mechanical Switch Block: This block lets you turn off sections of your mechanical grid.
    - New Steamworks integration: This brings with it things like mod collections, mod dependencies, a much more robust mod handling solution, etc. For more information, check the Modding Changes part of this post.
    - Upgraded parallel logic: In our attempts to parallelize the game more to make use of all those cores, we inadvertently overused the threading, causing them to block each other. We have reworked our parallel logic systems, and now your CPU should be used more effectively, regardless of how many cores you have!
    - Camera shake: We have introduced a very slight camera shake to certain actions like cutting trees. This will make certain actions feel a lot more alive.
    - Broken tool handling: Any tool that breaks now spawns a broken tool item rather than immediately disappearing from your inventory. It can be melted into ingots.

General Improvements:
    - Members of your house can pay ownership taxes again.
    - The main issue causing player data corruption was resolved.
    - Resolved a crash when the server was trying to send non-existent data to a client.
    - Other players no longer receive a notification whenever someone gets promoted/demoted.
    - Removed GPS from Medieval Master: GPS technology was not yet invented in the Medieval times.
    - Removed fast travel setting for traveling to undeveloped areas, made obsolete by the fast travel by roads.
    - The message that is displayed when you are adding dirt on top of another player now correctly writes their name.
    - We now save the third-person camera distance, so that when you reload the game your camera is in the same position.
    - Slightly increased character crouch height, as characters were able to crawl into places where the model would clip through the objects.
    - Player corpses: When you kill someone, or you die, the body can be looted. If you wait long enough the ragdoll will despawn and leave a lootbag behind as always.
    - The wild variants of the farmable plants now have a proper full growth cycle, including decay and regrowth.
    - Steel production now requires linseed oil for quenching. This makes steel a little bit more valuable.
    - Cancelling a craft now returns the used items correctly, even if the recipe requires tagged items.
    - You can no longer shovel while crouching.
    - We have re-balanced the material costs for all tools.
    - The killing blow with the crossbow now correctly shows hit markers.
    - Crossbow bolts now have a fall-off: All shots have a fall-off now, with wooden crossbows having the least amount of power and steel crossbows the most.
    - Seedbags no longer consume twice as much durability on clients as they did on the server.
    - Disabled the tutorial for Creative mode, though you can still start it by pressing F1 and clicking "Restart Tutorial".
    - Added sawmill quest to economic research tree, it is similar to gristmill quest, completing one also completes the other.
    - Tweaked some of the quest steps to function in creative mode, preventing the tutorial from getting stuck in creative.
    - Renamed "Bandit Deterrent" research to "Hunting", as it was always about hunting deer, and not scaring away bandits.
    - We've added the quest step completion sounds from the quest steps that were missing it.
    - Added copper shovel to several quest conditions where it made sense to have it.
    - Slightly eased up the military quests.
    - Clay walls now require clay to build.
    - Wheels and catchblocks are now stackable up to 5.
    - Changing target while holding F to pick-up items now resets the timer.
    - Fixed several cases of small blocks not sticking to large blocks correctly.
    - Fixed some cases of large blocks not correctly turning dynamic when they should.
    - Deconstructing the dead space engineer now gives you actual items, rather than non-existent stuff. But it's still creepy.
    - Added support for deconstruction to return other resources, mechanical blocks now return empty clay jars upon deconstruction.
    - Moving a claimblock to another area and deconstructing it there to avoid having a claimblock is no longer possible, the claimblock falls apart as soon as it becomes dynamic.
    - We taught barbarians how to correctly estimate their distance to players so that they can actually hit you again.
    - Barbarians no longer spawn in claimed areas.
    - Altered Barbarian Loot tables.
    - Deer now always drop pelts.
    - Updated deer animations.

Modding Changes:
    - Overwriting file paths: Any file path that matches a file in the vanilla directory structure, or mod directory structure, will now overwrite it with whichever mod was loaded last. This means that you can now easily replace textures, sounds, etc. just by making sure it follows the same Content/../filename as it does in the base game. This does not apply to SBC files (They are managed by the Definition Manager instead), shader files (We don't want people to break GPUs), but all other files are overwritten. Please double-check your mods are not accidentally overwriting files.
    - Mod dependencies: Mods can now list other mods as a dependency. When you do so, the game will automatically add and download that mod in the mod list. For modders, this means you can now create library mods that other mods can rely on. For example, one mod could introduce coins to the game, another mod could create a mint, creating gold coins out of gold ingots, and yet another mod could allow you to use the gold coins to pay taxes.
    - Mod collections: You can now create a collection of mods and load it in its entirety. This one is especially useful for server admins, who can create a mod collection and manage it on the steam community pages, and then let their dedicated server just load the mod collection.
    - Mod downloading: We are now making use of the new Steam UGC system, which allows a much larger mod package. Some mods, especially the ones with 4k textures, would get quite large, and the old Steam API would not accept these mods. With Steam UGC this is no longer a problem. One big change here is that only local mods are now stored in appdata\MedievalEngineers\Mods, rather than all mods. The mods you download are automatically managed by Steam, so it didn't make sense to duplicate them on your harddrives. Finally, they are no longer zipped up, which allows Steam to perform incremental downloads, rather than having to re-download the whole mod again and again, each time you would make a change.
    - Added support for research quests to have parent quests in other branches.
    - Custom planet scenario now allows custom planets again.
    - Whitelisted MySectorWeatherComponent.
    - Whitelisted MyVoxelMaterialDefinition.
    - Crafting components now support Input, Output and Crafting inventories. When all three are specified the crafting cancellation fix is applied to your crafting station. Otherwise, the old behavior will be used.

Old Version
    The last 0.6.1 version, the one you've been playing on for the past three weeks, remains accessible on the last_week branch on Steam. Should this update have any major issues to run you can let us know what is wrong and then revert to this version to keep playing until we fix it.

Livestream
    Join us today at 7pm CET for our Medieval Engineers live stream with Tim "Deepflame" Toxopeus, the lead producer of Medieval Engineers, and Xocliw, host of the Keen Community Network!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/398922800561054/
    https://twitch.tv/keencommunitynetwork

Enjoy!
    Keen Software House team

Medieval Engineers Update 0.6.2.BF1BD4:
    - Fixed an issue preventing the dedicated servers in service mode from starting up.

Medieval Engineers Update 0.6.2.AC0699:
    - Fixed the crashes on start-up.
    - Fixed the crash when killing barbarians, deer or other players.

Medieval Engineers Update 0.6.2.903CBE:
    Crash Fixes:
    - Fixed a crash caused by mods with bad texture files.
    - Fixed a crash caused by mods with incorrectly edited model files.
    - Fixed a crash caused by an modded item with durability with a bad definition.
    - Fixed a crash caused by damaging barbarians and deer while they're already dying.
    - Fixed a crash caused by the dedicated server getting rid of dead barbarians and deer before the clients have the chance to synchronize the corpses.
    - Fixed a crash caused by the dedicated server trying to load fonts.

General Fixes:
    - Lootbag ownership is now getting passed along correctly to the lootbag, resulting in the lootbag icon being visible on the compass again upon death.
    - Respawning no longer causes players to get slung into the air, or killing them instantly upon respawn.
    - Republishing a published mod should no longer overwrite the title or visibility settings from Steam.
    - Tool interaction distances have been updated to use the correct targeting distance again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

YAAAAY

• Like Like x 1
  3. lilbigmouth Trainee Engineer

Awesome update. Good job guys :)

edit: Happy New Year to you too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Köbi 2 Apprentice Engineer

Omg! This is huge! Can we have real bows now?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Right? it looks more like you guys got locked in the office rather than getting any holidays in!
    THANKS KEEN!!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. mastice Trainee Engineer

coughs lightly Small grids (ie: carts now bunked) are still screwy. But the update seems to look cool so far other than that. Nice work! ;)

7. Rasip Trainee Engineer

Unless of course you have slow or capped internet.

8. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Holy dooley, did you guys actually go on a holiday? That's one massive update right there!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. torgo Apprentice Engineer

You don't know how happy this makes my 6 year old. Picking up a second copy of the game now so he can join me in world, and go out and mine and cut trees (he thinks those are the coolest things). And now I'll actually do multiplayer so we can play together. Now we won't have to worry about him having to keep an eye on the tools and stopping before they break.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Did Keen save up on releasing updates during the holidays?
    What a list :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

This update makes me really happy :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Crikey, I wish I had these log walls when I build my Yuletide Village...:p

• Late Late x 1
  13. soult Trainee Engineer

Anyone has an idea if this update will be used in the public server "medieval engineers UK"? Kinda sucky that I cant join it anymore after convincing friends to buy game and start on that server -_-

14. Jyrgen Trainee Engineer

Thanks mr Keen :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

I see you still have your humor:

- Deconstructing the dead space engineer now gives you actual items, rather than non-existent stuff. But it's still creepy.

Are their space engineers in Medieval Times? Only if they're aliens :p
    --- Automerge ---
    I worry for the child's sanity if you introduce him to ME at 6.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sanfard Apprentice Engineer

I've been waiting for this since crossbows were first added!

:tu::carlton:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Deepflame ME Director Staff

Hey guys, first hotfix just went out:

Hotfix 0.6.2.BF1BD4:
    - Fixed an issue preventing the dedicated servers in service mode from starting up.

Expect more fixes tomorrow to address the freezes and crashes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thales M. Junior Engineer

What does it mean?

19. Deepflame ME Director Staff

They stack to 5 in the inventory. So, 5 wheels occupy one inventory slot.

• Like Like x 2
  20. torgo Apprentice Engineer

--- Automerge ---
    I worry for the child's sanity if you introduce him to ME at 6.[/QUOTE]

He already builds, launches, orbits and successfully recovers rockets in Kerbal Space Program. He also has flown some of my SE creations, and done some hand asteroid mining.
    Besides, with me as his dad, his sanity was all but assuredly forfeit at the moment of conception.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  21. soult Trainee Engineer

Thx for the fast service:) I'll recheck tomorow if the server we play on ( medieval engineers UK) is updated (atm still version "615493037" )

22. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

There is one at least, deconstructing it gives you a hydrogen and oxygen bottle..
    water confirmed
    :)

23. rouaang Trainee Engineer

Hi Everybody.

I must say, i have been playing Space Engineers for a while now (1154 hours) and love it. But recently i moved over to Medieval engineers, after just checking it out about a year ago. That time i was bored with it after 2 hours play time.

But i must say, well done guys!!!!!! The game is now gripping. Never really like games like the forest. But this is the forest with space engineers steroids. Love it.

Just one question: Is there a way to connect regular timber to an mechanical block? so lets say a wheel for instance? I want to power my own creations with the windmill. If not possible, please add this feature. I am sure it will make the game even better.

Cheers all.

24. James Kain Trainee Engineer

After the update I started getting freezing then crashing.

25. RichD Trainee Engineer

This is happening to me. Crashes on loading screen. Windows 10.

Error in log:
    2018-01-09 05:51:23.013|Worker Logic 1> Exception occurred: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

26. md34 Trainee Engineer

Same - many many freezes which necessitate a process kill and reload. Total vanilla game - never modded.

EDIT: Now totally unplayable. Tried to revert to last_week and ended up in a Steam download loop. After the third download of 1.5gb i've set it back to latest and i'm going back to Factorio. Seeya when its fixed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  27. Crozzwell Trainee Engineer

so devs I would like to make a comment about this update referring to the mining.

I play on a private server with a community called EpikTek. our server during the day has about 5-9 people on average. one thing ive found is we continuously jump after mining a deposit of ore... stone, copper, iron... etc. I don't push my jump button but yet when I stand on top of the ore I just mined I begin to coninuously jump. our suspicion is it has to do with the editing of the player character. also.... its hard to grab trees now. I also crashed placing a timber and crashed after that killing a barbarian. of which one of these events I submitted the log. before this update I didn't crash and the only issue I had was the lag but that mostly has to do with the server itself.

also would like to note that invisble walls have shown up and you cant dig tunnels

28. TheBoot Apprentice Engineer

Same here. Looks like a memory corruption issue according to the log. Game is unplayable at the moment.

29. kauczuk79 Trainee Engineer

Me too. Before hotfix for me it was working fine.
    Edit: When I am loading the game, it always crashes at 54%.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  30. Frussy Trainee Engineer

Hope my post gets approved quickly....

Having crashing on loading my old save. Game was working fine before the update. Have submitted my log via the crashreporter, but as the person above said, it seems to be a memory corruption issue.

I will note that due to potential performance loss (unacceptable due to the age of my hardware) I have not installed the Meltdown or Spectre paches on my OS (Windows 7).

Code:
    2018-01-09 11:44:09.194|Main thread> Finished loading stage Loading data, elapsed time: 10.5266021 seconds
    2018-01-09 11:44:09.215|Main thread> Finished loading stage Loading character data, elapsed time: 0.0160009 seconds
    2018-01-09 11:44:09.283|Main thread> Loading voxel storage from file 'C:\Users\Xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\MedievalEngineers\Saves\76561198068122728\Muntii\EarthSecond-626406806r5000.vx2'
    2018-01-09 11:44:10.643|Main thread> Voxel storage was in old format. It is updated but needs to be saved.
    2018-01-09 11:44:11.127|Worker Logic 4> Exception occurred: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
      at hkSerializeUtil.loadOnHeap(Void* , Int32 , ErrorDetails* , LoadOptions )
      at Havok.HkDestructionStorage.LoadDestructionDataFromBuffer(Byte[] buffer)
      at Sandbox.MyDestructionData.LoadModelDestruction(String modelName, MyPhysicalModelDefinition modelDef, Vector3 defaultSize, Boolean destructionRequired, Boolean useShapeVolume)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridShape.GetBreakableShape(String model, MyCubeBlockDefinition block, Boolean forceLoadDestruction)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridShape.CreateBlockShape(MySlimBlock b, Matrix& blockTransform)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridShape.CreateBreakableShape()
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridPhysics.CreateBreakableBody(HkShape shape, Nullable`1 massProperties)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridPhysics.CreateBody(HkShape& shape, Nullable`1 massProperties)
      at Sandbox.Engine.Physics.MyPhysicsBody.CreateFromCollisionObject(HkShape shape, Vector3 center, MatrixD worldTransform, Nullable`1 massProperties, Int32 collisionFilter)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridPhysics.CreateBody()
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyGridPhysics..ctor(MyCubeGrid grid, MyGridShape shape)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.RebuildGrid()
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.InitInternal(MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase objectBuilder, Boolean rebuildGrid)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyEntities.InitEntity(MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase objectBuilder, MyEntity& entity)
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyEntities.InitEntityData.CallInitEntity()
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyEntities.CallInitEntity(InitEntityData initData)
      at VRage.Library.ParallelWorkers.Work.WorkBase`1.DoWork()
      at VRage.Library.ParallelWorkers.Worker.WorkLoop()
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
      at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.