Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.035 - Transmit electricity through rotors, new world settings

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tajin Apprentice Engineer

Hmmmmmm, auto-locking landing gears...

Sounds like they could effectively be used as impact-shields. Time to give that a try. :cool:

2. Ransack Trainee Engineer

Well I know Louie Rankin, so I guess that is from Shottas or Belly

3. MasterMind3508 Trainee Engineer

Nice update ! But... i hope Radar will be useful for somethin soon ( like IFF Frequency for our turrets so they don't shoot you at sight :) ) We'll be awesome :) !

4. Judgernaut Apprentice Engineer

bug fix update did do something... no instead of crashing after merging it crashes at the merge.

But still, I love the rotor passing electricity now.

5. Thaecor Trainee Engineer

It not always a matter of demanding anything (and yes I realize some people do.) It's a matter of dozens of dedicated servers (that I am aware of) being taken down and UNABLE to be brought back up - and their players unable to play on said servers because of the condition of the current net code.
    While you might read that as just a bunch of people unable to play an alpha for a while - you SHOULD be reading it as a bunch of people unable to test the multiplayer features, the new content ON multiplayer servers, etc. Yes it's frustrating for those who want to play and can't, but the biggest point here is while those servers are unable to be up and hosting players, keen is losing a lot of testers/feedback from those people. Keep in mind multiplayer is a HUGE part of SE. If we're not able to test it and provide feed back, it just means it'll be harder for Keen to do their jobs.
    That said, it is reasonable for people to come in after waiting a week for the latest update and upon not seeing the updated net code inquiring again. After all, we might be testers, but we're also investors to an extent too. We'd like to continue to be informed on things - especially those that we deem essential - and multiplayer dedicated servers happens to be essential in a lot of our books.
    Think about mine craft for a second. Now imagine minecraft without the dedicated servers. You'll get the point.

6. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

Hardly a fair comparison since Minecraft isn't in Alpha.

7. Meri Trainee Engineer

Am I the only one for who rotors do not transmit energy in multiplier?

8. Guest

Am I the only one who gets game crashed in singleplayer every time I try to connect 2 small ships with Merge blocks?
    Same ships worked fine before patch...

9. Maxis010 Trainee Engineer

As much as I agree with you on this point, ask those dedicated hosts what machines they are running off of and the connections those machines are using?

Don't pass this off as me just flashing my money around but I have a dedicated box from GameServers which I run a few servers off of including a Space Engineers server
    No lag, I'm connecting from england to my NYC server without suffering the "unplayable lag" which people are complaining about
    The dedicated has a connection power of 40/12 Gbps
    I have a connection power of 8/3 Gbps which is pitiful by comparison to my local or international areas
    Now if I try to host a dedicated off of my personal connection I KNOW for a fact it's going to fail because of how bad local hosted games are

Yes the improved netcode would be nice, but all this complaining that your dedicateds can't run without it when there are hundreds of servers still up just goes to show that it's a local issue caused non-optimized code IN AN ALPHA. It's not game breaking, and getting it out faster is more likely to result in it being taken back again for more fixes

10. beringtom Trainee Engineer

Lag is not the reason some of us would like the new netcode, lag is not a major issue for our dedicated server, but we can't make any of the cool rotor designs on the server, the old netcode creates a lot of desync between the host and clients, and that results in destructive rotors.

If you make a simple design, a rotor at the bottom and a simple line of 4 blocks on top, the blocks will desync so much that they will snap of and destroy everything around them :)

Don't take this the wrong way, i love more content, I would just personally fix what we have now, and then add more content. Worst case, we might have alot of broken blocks in the end.

11. Maxis010 Trainee Engineer

I can see how that would be a problem and although I can see how this is a problem I don't see it as a reason to shutdown dedicateds
    I managed to build a 2 rotor solar array yesterday (6kw FTW) no problem, but then as soon as I tried to repeat this feat do that there were two arms on the tower it tore itself apart so I understand the frustration, just not the response

12. beringtom Trainee Engineer

It was not a reason to shutdown dedicated servers, just an explantion why "I" would like the new netcode back again.

13. Ramsey86 Trainee Engineer

Three words:

Factions...

Net Code...

14. Ramsey86 Trainee Engineer

Also I must admit, primary reason I was excited for this update was firing missile turrets attached to rotors, however it appears missiles on rotors do not fire when commanded...

15. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

I'm wondering when you ban someone is it timed or forever and if it is forever can you unban him

16. Xiga Trainee Engineer

If you have a pilot module attached to the launcher it works just splendidly, without the need for having independent power on the "turret" which is quite handy, though you still need a gyro; I'm curious what your use case is though, how would you aim the launcher without a pilot module on it anyway?

Personally I've been hoping for a while to be able to bind the line and area creative build commands to something other than ctrl and shift, so I can bind shift to crouch / down without making the area build commands needlessly complicated to use.

17. Disposadwarf Apprentice Engineer

Now that we have this, and i am able to create a Small ship turret on a large ship grid, i really need Tracks/Rails to make the construction yard. Then we can build some serious Ships in survival.

18. extraammo Senior Engineer

It is spelled and pronounced: "Turret"

19. Siebert156 Trainee Engineer

After experimenting with rotors as an option to a hangar door, I feel they need to be resized to allow for the tiny gap they create so that things can still be symmetrical, or is there some way I can change that in game?

20. cheesyboofs Trainee Engineer

[SIZE= 10pt]When I was a kid I'd try and copy LEGO vehicles out of the back of the Argos catalogue with the bricks I had available. I now find myself at the age of 40 doing the same thing with these videos :)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]Very rare to see developers articulating patch notes with videos and is to be commended, it helps sell the game.[/SIZE]

21. DoctorDeathDefying Apprentice Engineer

It can't be changed in game without editing both the rotor model itself and the collision box, which needless to say is somewhat complicated. The tiny gap created is a bit of a nuisance, but luckily landing gears are pretty even with it - they just need an additional block of room. Use those for stability.

22. Raenar Trainee Engineer

Let's hope this next update will include making the turrets more useful in terms of being able to have them target other players, while at the same time giving us the ability to nullify certain players (Self, friends, co-op building partners) from being targeted by the turret. There are a ton of griefers if you have yet to notice when playing a survival match who will just join, not heed your warnings and simply fly directly into your base with their starting ship. If they don't do that, they will simply jet propel themselves onto your space station and go directly to your cargo. It would be nice if our turrets could be used for things such as that as well as the current uses. That being said, the turrets need to be fixed as well, as they target their own missiles lol. Also, having a simple lock mechanism on our cargo containers/doors would be exceptional.
    Now the most important thing needed is probably more content in terms of things to do other than just mining ore. More things to collect for different reasons, perhaps being able to build a science lab to research new technologies in which you would need to say, capture a specific vessel. I really don't know, we just need more content. Some other goal. Surviving is just too easy. I wouldn't mind being able to use my epic creations for more than simpleton tasks as well. I have an epic space station, I have the warships and I have the mining ships. As for building, the game has kind of lost it's luster. now please give us a bit more to focus on rather than standing around holding down and clicking the mouse button. Don't get me wrong great game, but gets extremely redundant once you have everything you need.

23. eMYNOCK Trainee Engineer

Totally agree... i take up the turrets as an example.

With the ability to change our Suit Color now we should be able to tell our turrets (still as an example) that they should only aim for everything that is not Grey.

Same could be possible as an easy container / cockpit / what ever lock.

If the Suit color does not fit, no one can use stuff that want the given color.

Or to access stuff / being ignored, you must be listed on the friend list of the host.

So much possibilities.. so much ideas... i guess you got me.

regards

24. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

All what you basically saying is factions which is already planed we just don't know yet when they will come out which will add security and friend or foe options

25. Raenar Trainee Engineer

Read my second paragraph, it's much more than that good sir. ;)
    Also, adding factions doesn't fix the fact that the turrets target their OWN missiles. They must be fixed.

26. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

It does if your missiles are considered part of your faction. :p

27. Raenar Trainee Engineer

I agree minus the station thing. Why can we not have stations in space? I don't want to have JUST a large ship I want a place to land them in my hangar.

28. Malware Master Engineer

Raenar, you realize you just responded to Ericius11's signature, right? :) What I think Ericius11 means is the fact that the Station block is magically unmoveable is just plain wrong. There is nothing wrong with creating stations out of ship blocks. I stopped using station blocks for stations a long time ago, unless I'm creating asteroid stations.

29. eMYNOCK Trainee Engineer

hmm.. Stations :idea:

I do build Stations... but before they become a Station(ary) Object i construct them as mobile Objects... move them to their final position and lock them onto a Stationary Merge Block.

Et viola, a module that was constructed in safety (inside an Asteroid) becomes a self-sufficient Station.

And if you ask why i do this in this way... because its much safer to construct stuff inside an Asteroid while the module has no self defense abilities. (i like the "Normal" Environment).

regards

30. Disposadwarf Apprentice Engineer

i love that when i wake up on update friday (im in aussie here) i will have something new to play with.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.