Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.040 - Pistons, Blast door blocks

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Farbender Trainee Engineer

It's Keens job to make sure the mods folder loads. Modders can't fix that.

2. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

This is very nice, I would like to see this as textures and design of the pistons.

Also, it's great to have them, but they don't really work on a dedicated server now, they go crazy...

3. Hald Trainee Engineer

Yeha, pistons is a thing thet I'm waited for =)
    Thanks!

4. pirate Apprentice Engineer

Remember that the current piston model has to be able to accommodate conveyors. While yours is more "correct" looking, it also doesn't have conveyor doors.

5. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Awesome work KSH! A++ :thumb:

6. foxdie Apprentice Engineer

You could quite easily slap a conveyor hatch to the top and bottom like they've done in the vanilla model.

7. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

love the pistons, they were missing.

also the filter.

but pistons in mp, are the same nightmare, as rotors, or the never ending magnetic lock of connectors. sometimes, days of work in survival just gets removed completely, because a connector decides to swoop you back. such accidents are deadly to the game experience. :(
    so i guess they still need tuning.

8. es_Archer Banned

Well there is a shocker...pistons join the "rotors" not working in multiplayer mess, great job there Keen, I mean...I give you props for the game...and the constant (every Thursday patch)adding to the game. If you play single player only I guess its ok but, you keep adding new stuff without fixing what breaks them and makes them unusable in multiplayer. You had a patch a few weeks ago with a new network codding that was worst then the one you have, rolled back (thank the universe) and still broken rotors...now broken pistons...and skipping ships...and lag!
    And before you fan boys start with the "it´s an Alpha" excuse...an Alpha is to add CORE components to the game and testing....not small components...but even so, we already know that one of the core features is broken, rotors...and now pistons...and every time you chase a NPC or another player ship....we know what happens...you cant do anything...or when you do...it is really difficult because of the net codding...and skipping.
    So we have past the point of ALPHA, and we are in beta testing the pistons and rotors and other stuff, THEY ARE BROKEN!....Fix it, fix one of the CORE features.

The problem of this game...and many people did and probably will agree with me is the lack of a road map for this game...they keep adding stuff to the game but I don't understand what they want to do with it...is it a single player game that they decided to make a MMO? Massive Multiplayer?...I don't know...its a mess, example....adding Factions...but not letting us create them....Adding the ability to turn on our weapons...and shooting things...but nothing to shoot at...( decoy block....really?!?!) or WHAT to shoot at..."shoot at moving target"...that's great...until YOU start to move (!?!?!!?) Now with the factions...also broken...I cant move any of MY ships...that are OWNED by me...because they will start shooting at each other!!!W...T...F..............sigh. This factions and weapons targeting is like building a roof...and then the basement...then the floors...then the windows...and after that the walls, so after you have to take it down again because you forgo t the pluming and electric wire....
    This clearly shows that they don't know what they are doing...just adding stuff without a plan! Just when its ready...to give us something new...and most of the times...without testing it, there is almost always a hot fix after a patch...I wonder why.

My final thought and a little Idea is...
    Make a plan...a road map...dont just add stuff for the hell of it...add it WHEN its READY! If it takes morre time...so be it...but at least will spare grief. For me...some patches look like trolling to me...the last one being one of these cases, having something that DOESN'T work in multiplayer...is just TROLLING! You must have known that...so why dont you focus efforts on fixing what breaks them..and then add them.

Idea: Give us the ability to have a cached "map" of the world we play in...so we dont have to download the map every single damn time. Thanx

9. Squizzle Trainee Engineer

Can I add another vote for fixing cargo ship factions - particularly in single player! What's the use of all those guns if everyone is on your side?

10. DuneD Junior Engineer

Nice update, but you still havent fixed the piston top being way too fragile, im beginning to wonder if this is an intended feature.

11. Wrapperup Trainee Engineer

While it does look nice, on the site it says:
    Many of the 3D models are “concept models” only, with no textures and no polygon optimizations

http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/features.html at the bottom

Everyone asked for pistons and are complaining about the model. Obviously they need work but come on, it even says on the site that models are "concept models" and they will be reworked when the game reaches a more finished state. Some of you may disagree with this, but thats what you paid for, an unfinished game.

If you are going to complain about how things do not look right or are just outright broken, please remember that you bought an unfinished game. Thats what I paid for, and I love it. Models do need work but that's the point of early access games, you can give feedback on how the game should end up as.

12. DuneD Junior Engineer

Also, mods still dont work, here is the error its throwing:

Code:
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.357 - Thread:   1 ->           Hashing file C:\Users\Xavi\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\DuneCubes\Data\CubeBlocks.sbc into data check hash
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.358 - Thread:   1 ->           c9562912c77825215e8026d6350a6ab4079d60dd
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.371 - Thread:   1 ->           Loading block positions
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.382 - Thread:   1 ->           Loading cube blocks
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.420 - Thread:   1 ->           ProcessField() couldnt find: 'C:\Users\Xavi\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\DuneCubes', 'Textures\GUI', 'C:\Users\Xavi\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\DuneCubes\Textures\GUI'
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.432 - Thread:   1 ->        Exception occured: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Xavi\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\DuneCubes\Models\Cubes\Large\Armor'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
       at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.ProcessField(String modDir, Object fieldOwnerInstance, FieldInfo field, Boolean includeMembers)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.ProcessField(String modDir, Object fieldOwnerInstance, FieldInfo field, Boolean includeMembers)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.UpdateModableContent(String modDir, MyObjectBuilder_DefinitionBase builder)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.InitDefinition[T](String modDir, MyObjectBuilder_DefinitionBase builder, Boolean processModPaths)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.ToDefinitions(String modDir, DefinitionDictionary`1 outputDefinitions, DefinitionDictionary`1[] outputCubeBlocks, MyObjectBuilder_CubeBlockDefinition[] cubeBlocks, Boolean processModPaths, Boolean failOnDebug)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.LoadDefinitions(String contentPath, DefinitionSet definitionSet, Boolean processModPaths, Boolean failOnDebug)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.LoadData()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers._RunClassConstructor(RuntimeType type)
       at B337879D0C82A5F9C44D51D954769590.B3531963E948FB4FA1D057C4340C61B4.5F300591DBEFD35270908CF83ABA3C06(Type[] B3C1871BF437DDC232CEE89FE46CEF33)
       at B337879D0C82A5F9C44D51D954769590.B3531963E948FB4FA1D057C4340C61B4.3A1D635AE62CB653A964522BE767D613()
       at B337879D0C82A5F9C44D51D954769590.B3531963E948FB4FA1D057C4340C61B4..ctor(FB818649DC44AA86757AF7596EA89E6E BA0ECC83799CE1D87CDAD2E345663B5A, String[] 50BBED22B62968D848DB243990F20C87)
       at 83BCBFA49B3A2A6EC1BC99583DA2D399.49BCFF86BA276A9C7C0D269C2924DE2D.523C8831DA5DAB3A19F6D33A2C6437B5(String[] 954514EA42AFFE4302240CE14E5D6683)
       at 83BCBFA49B3A2A6EC1BC99583DA2D399.49BCFF86BA276A9C7C0D269C2924DE2D.0D8AAA624C2EEA412F85ABB3AEFAF743(String[] 954514EA42AFFE4302240CE14E5D6683)
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.433 - Thread:   1 ->        Inner Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Xavi\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\DuneCubes\Models\Cubes\Large\Armor'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
       at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.UpdateModableContent(String modDir, MyObjectBuilder_DefinitionBase builder)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.InitDefinition[T](String modDir, MyObjectBuilder_DefinitionBase builder, Boolean processModPaths)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.ToDefinitions(String modDir, DefinitionDictionary`1 outputDefinitions, DefinitionDictionary`1[] outputCubeBlocks, MyObjectBuilder_CubeBlockDefinition[] cubeBlocks, Boolean processModPaths, Boolean failOnDebug)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.LoadDefinitions(String contentPath, DefinitionSet definitionSet, Boolean processModPaths, Boolean failOnDebug)
       at Sandbox.Definitions.MyDefinitionManager.LoadData()
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.434 - Thread:   1 ->        Hiding window
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.455 - Thread:   1 ->        Hiding window done
    2014-07-25 17:13:26.455 - Thread:   1 ->        Showing message

13. Terminatorvaler Trainee Engineer

And then what ? Players already can't play run this game , with 50 models of this players will have lag even on top machines.

14. MrStump Trainee Engineer

Nice piston models, but keep in mind that they also have to limit polygons, both for rendering and for physics purposes. Detailed models require detailed phys boxes and more polygons. This is a game where we don't just have 3 pistons, we have dozens, if not hundreds, all flying around and smashing into stuff.

Also, I would also appreciate more love to the multiplayer. I'm glad netcode is being worked on, and I just hope that includes things like rotors and pistons. I appreciate that a week might feel like a long time for an update sometimes when something isn't working but in coding/debugging it isn't very long at all. I am glad you guys keep at it.

My biggest issue currently using a connector and a merge block together. Disconnecting the merge block breaks the connector (even if you disconnected the connector first) and you end up with infinite magnetic force between the 2 parts. It makes my utility sled with its interchangeable heads a lot more annoying to use.

Keep up the good work!

15. Raelsmar Trainee Engineer

Even after the hotfix, the rotor height modifier still isn't working for me. Has anyone had success with this?

16. Firatstyler Trainee Engineer

I wish you could combine parts together like in minecraft

Like Rocket Launcher + Piston =
    [​IMG]

17. MrHohenheim Trainee Engineer

some ppl still cant use pastebin.com or paste.ee for long texts!!!

18. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Nice models man :).

19. Wizlawz Master Engineer

indeed

:idea::love::thumb:

20. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Yes it is alpha.
    You are not a Keen developer (correct me if I'm wrong on that). It doesn't matter if you think we're in beta. Keen has not said SE has entered beta, therefore it's still in alpha. End of discussion.

I can't speak if they don't know what they are doing or not. Since they have more than one person, I can only assume they do have a roadmap (they wouldn't get very far without one). Even if it's just a simple one. It would be nice if they shared more information with us, but I know they don't have to.

Cached maps?
    How can you possibly cache a map that's always updating? I supposed it could compare times and only download a delta, but depending on the map and how long you're gone for, it'll be a huge download again anyway. That's also vulnerable to exploiting.

21. Leif_The_Head Apprentice Engineer

I worked over some old mining ship designs with piston gear and stuff and I got the idea of a rotor with integrated conveyor, does not need to be propelled (so the conveyor replaces the motor) and would make some player built turrets never run out of ammo or mining ships with rotating drillheads a more effective because you don't need to drop the ore into a bunch of collectors. Would be something cool to see ^^

22. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I tried to use the pistons, less than stellar experience.
    I was trying to retrofit the blue starter ship to cover the center piece with the windows.

After clearing out room near the aft of the ship for the piston and blast doors, the top row wouldn't let me add any blast door sections, even though I had cleared it out and there was room.
    Related: If I extend the piston then build it, it builds fine, however retracting the piston instantly breaks the head off.

I'm not sure what kind of clearances are needed for using pistons.

23. Prime_8 Trainee Engineer

had good fun , i found the piston ( pre hot fix ) was strong enough with a connector on it to push and pull my mining ship while it was connected .
    >> i did have to hack the save game to let me re-own everything again LOL .

Once that was done i changed a few blocks and it worked great even with heavy loads .

and.

i tested using the blast door blocks as rails but i used a edge one so the rider/cart would wobble . but it worked fine .
    they should work just fine for making non bending sliding racks and rails , and they dont seem to take damage or cause any to the heavy blocks .

PS that's a Sage trooper / statue on the deck , i was checking his mod blocks worked .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PS> these images will be gone from server 7 days after this post . <

24. Freezy Trainee Engineer

You can bridge across a rotor using four connectors and a bit of conveyor magic.
    Lock the connectors on the rotating part together, the other side should stay unlocked.
    Use small ship- large conveyor blocks on the arm, the rotor should not block even after multiple rotors
    I also have an example in the workshop:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=278457058
    It's not perfect, but it might do the trick.

Alternatively: use thrusters to control the spin around a non-locked connector link, harder to make an arm with this technique though.

25. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

I hope that we will be able to at some point. It means we could have rocket pods that could extend out of the hull.

26. Dan2D3D Moderator

The Rotor height adjustment is AWESOME! But not working at all I've tried diffrente config. but still not working.
    [​IMG]

27. Fab Apprentice Engineer

As Dan said, rotor height adjustment is not working, sadly.

28. Dan2D3D Moderator

Yes rotor height adjustment is not working I found a way to make it work you have to change the height adjustment save / quit and reload your worl it works! :)

[​IMG]

29. voicesdark Senior Engineer

UPDATE From Modding community reguarding the hotfix:

The C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\spaceengineers\mods location is still not functioning properly, and it's not down to just a problem with the textures. The majority of the pathing system is still not functioning correctly. It's trying to read files from random/incorrect locations instead of the correct folders. It's also still having problems reading customized blueprints.sbc, components.sbc, and this is again due to the pathing system trying to locate files in the wrong folders.

30. MSI Junior Engineer

Where is it trying to locate the files?? Documents? Local? It sounds like someone was trying to improve the location to something less difficult for most users to find and forgot the leave the WIP improvement out of this patch.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.