Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.044 - Spherical gravity generator, Modding for prefab and respawn ships

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Conradian Moderator

I know the rules, where have I acted like that? I posted a quote about the general testing process and why bugs might be missed out. To repeat:

2. Volfram Senior Engineer

Hey bro, I'd back off and let actual moderators deal with this now. Once things get this bad, your lack of official status will work against you.

3. lostami Trainee Engineer

I believe your right on that Volfram, *tips hat* PEACE OUT YALL!

4. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

How is anyone playing when it won't even load the saved games? All my world files are now considered CORRUPT and are unloadable. Re-installed the game... no effect. SEToolbox won't even load them now... so what did the update do to modify the saved worlds that even SEToolbox doesn't open them?

5. Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

It's hard to say Buzzed. I know some people have had success using a certain method. If you haven't been by the bug thread I think there are instructions as to how to remedy the issue. If it doesn't end up working after that, then that is beyond my knowledge.

6. LegacySpaceCorporation Trainee Engineer

This update made it to where I can't load any mods into my new worlds. Any chance of fixing that and soon

7. Crewman87 Apprentice Engineer

Welcome to the forums Legacy!
    Chances are a hotfix will be coming along in a reasonable amount of time.

8. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I think people kind of miss the overall point, sometimes... The whole "this is alpha" card is played quite a lot, and mostly that is done because it is the single most valid reason people are encountering bugs. That's basically the core law for early access games, and I think most people get that. They may forget it at times, or not have fully realized it when they initially bought into the game, but sooner or later it is typically comprehended.

However, some people seem to have a massively unrealistic expectation for how things work from patch to patch. Keen has a great team that work tirelessly to add and build new things for us every week. They build on their development platforms, which must (by definition) be as stable and reliable as possible during the development process. They whip up the new features, slap them around and convince them to play nice with the rest of the game, and then weave them to fit as tightly (and stable) as possible into the intricate code.

Then they have the small closed test group, who also must slog tirelessly through new builds to catch as many bugs as possible with the new features. The closed tester group allows the builds to be tested on less "standardized" hardware, and subject features to a widened set of play styles and parameters. To expect that small group to also have every single permutation of every possible hardware, software, and mod combination is, quite frankly, ridiculous if you think about it. They are a subset of users, trying to catch as much as they can.

And then they have the rest of us. The wider general test group. Make no mistake, that is exactly what we are. We are a huge pool of massively varied hardware, software, mods, etc. And we find the bugs that are elusive enough to make it through development, through the closed group, but sneak into options or mods or hardware configurations that might not be present farther upstream in the testing process. We are the largest and most comprehensive test group in the process - we are the huge bug net, the last line of defense before game features pass into the "done" category and more new features flow in for integration. If you do not get that is what we are right now, you should never have purchased an early access game. Expecting to never experience big grinding horrible bugs because the small dedicated groups before you should catch every one of them is basically the equivalent of expecting miracles... on a weekly basis...

9. lostami Trainee Engineer

Well Crap man, You said it perfectly. I don't think anyone could say it better then that.

10. riveras Trainee Engineer

This game is far along the alpha phase and it is just name only. Don't be fooled by the phase name it is in. By keeping it in alpha, it is now an excuse to hide behind issues that should not be happening.

I have done systems / software test and they have gone pretty far within the alpha stage to ensure that they have a good regression testing of a build before release. You just don't throw things over the fence and hope it works, especially if you have people paying and making comments and recommendations to buy the game.

It is just bad testing by whoever was responsible before signing off on it

11. Draconas Trainee Engineer

The update works fine for me, with/without mods, didn't have to do anything to make it work personally.

12. Conradian Moderator

Maybe not, but I've already said the same thing twice... Problem is, two pages down the line, no one will read it.

13. Ludovsky Apprentice Engineer

For those people who ranted about the game making the jump to consoles?

THIS is exactly why you have so many folks who develops for consoles. An individual PC might oustripa console's capabilities to ungodly levels, right.

But as a whole.... all of the folks who uses that console? Use the same hardware, the same type of softwares, the same drivers. They -all- use one very single borderline identical system. That kind of narrows what you need to do to make a game run on something like this.

Meanwhile, that PC from above? He's a powerful PC.... but he's just one of a multitude build.

Someone who develops for a console game has only one, two... maybe three different builds to take into account.
    Keensoft have 500,000(and counting) different "consoles" to develop for. So give people some slack when you complain about a bug that affects you because at the end of the day and they note to you the fact that it is a game still in development. Because, at the end of the day...
    You're just 1/500,000th of the consoles Keensofts need to try to make sure run stable. Some uses different processors, others different OS editions. Some have different drivers. Some even did -not- have essential drivers installed by the persons who built the computer. And some are damaged requiring tech support to sort out what's actually a bug and what's a corrupted driver or piece of hardware.
    The good news in all this? They'll probably get around to it though.
    But it'll take time.
    So be patient and willing to give them that time. And be aware that even then it might still be longer than you'll think.

14. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

New program items, both major and minor, are being added on a weekly basis. The basic pool of features is not finished yet, with major items (like programming) potentially still on the horizon. If there is a better definition of what "alpha" means in software development, I don't know what it is. And I have done my share of software development.

An individual arbitrarily deciding that a program has spent enough time in alpha has no bearing on the development team's plans or timelines, unless that individual is either psychic or has insider information into the inner workings of the dev team. Implying that the software is being held in alpha just to string things along is pure conjecture... And not very good conjecture, based on the evidence (here I will again reference weekly updates with new features).

If the dev team suddenly yells to the world that they have decided we're officially in "beta" now, and then keeps releasing updates that break the game before being quickly patched, the amount of screaming and whining would rise exponentially. Because beta is the time for tweaking and optimizing, not the time for adding major features and changing huge chunks of code.

Edit: I forgot to add... "The End" (and exit stage left)

15. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

They say repetition often helps even the most stubborn people learn... Not sure who "they" are, but "they" seem optimistic, so I'm just doing my part to help the cause, Conradian! ;)

16. lostami Trainee Engineer

Quick question where are the save files. I want to back them up before I give running the game a shot.

17. Wizlawz Master Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/a-possible-fix-for-corrupted-worlds-7015200?pid=1284009575#post1284009575

he tells ya where they are

18. DocMop Junior Engineer

So after all, switching Steam to offline-mode before it had a chance to patch really WAS a good idea. The only problem is, that you can not download mods you already have (lol?) and therefore you can not load maps with mods ...

Next Thursday morning I'll start SE and keep it running at least until Friday afternoon (hotfix blubb) so I can actually play. I do not support this absolute lack of internal QA.

19. Warscar96 Trainee Engineer

Great additions devs!!!

20. ZigzaGoop Trainee Engineer

Really happy to see multiplayer improvements. Ill be. Testing out how much of a difference they really make over the next few days.

All player skins break the jetpack but it's a minor issue.

21. cantchoos Trainee Engineer

You guys are the best, thanks for being so proactive about bug fixes and just making the game wonderful!!!

22. salvaribeiro Apprentice Engineer

Spherical gravity generator:
    1 - Attach it to the tip of a ship, set desired controls in the ship's toolbar.
    2 - Throw around some rocks/items/powered small mass blocks.
    3 - Fun.

23. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Me 2. First I saw the shadow on a ship ~1.000 m in distance, I thought it had black smoke from burning generators...
    Please make it at least switchable. The shadow does not 100% match with the letters from different ranges. I can't understand how people do like this (it's overcoating structures), but it seems to be a matter of taste. :p

Another question is to make the mouse moveable out of the window -- if present, like on Terminal or Toolbar config screens. This would make multi-monitor using other applications simultaneously much better than using ALT+TAB.
    By the way:
    If you hold the ALT key and you want to suppress the HUD for a better sight, you get the task switcher from windows. :crazy: Maybe I should remap the keys.

The Multiplayer update is nice, but extremely laggy on our server. I feel like having pings from about one second till 30 seconds. My mate is flickering like hell, and I do the same to him. Really weird. I can agree with that -for a while- as long as it doesn't desync any more. That was much more trouble. But it didn't prevent me from blowing up a connector due to lag again. At least it was only the empty connector.

I tried the new respawn ship 2 and flew very fast straight to my base. I released the forward key -- but the ship didn't stop. Inertia dampeners were off! :eek Got two cargo containers blew up. What a luck they were empty.

If you get the lag reduced, that'll be an awesome thing. Thanks!

@ those with the corrupted world problem:
    Verify the game files in Steam and deactivate all mods, and it should run again. I got this message also a few times, and every time a verify was the solution. I don't use any mods -- except a better background and always turning off fog (it should be only present in an atmosphere, not in vacuum).

24. DuneD Junior Engineer

You can always extract the mods and make them run local, so no internet connection is required. I should probably write a tutorial on how to do that..

25. Wizlawz Master Engineer

YES Please! :comp::thumb::love::love::kiss:

26. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

Stupid people shouldn't breath, just saying...

27. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

Your picture really fits with that sentence.

28. Isaac Clarke Trainee Engineer

Some people have already said this, but I'm gonna say it again anyways:

I was also having issues with corrupted saves and found a way to resolve them: it IS from any mods that change or add NPC cargo ships and/or respawn ships. I had felix.seiffer's "Endless cargoships" mod which adds more cargoships...obviously. Any of my save files with that mod (which is all of my save files) couldn't load. After removing the Endless cargoships mod, poof, loads perfect. So anyone who has npc-ship altering mods, try to remove them from your mod load list and try again, should work. If not...well, I have no idea...
    Cheers

29. DuneD Junior Engineer

Yep, delete all *.sbc files, including mods that carry them, and everything should work fine.

30. Amancalledme Apprentice Engineer

These developers are the best game developers I know of, in each update, they make it more epic than the last one! :thumb:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.