Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.060 – Sound block, New skybox, Bugfixing #7

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kuu Lightwing Senior Engineer

Okay. Now I'm disappointed. I do understand that it is alpha and stuff, and I don't get mad when some nasty bug appears. But the fact that they didn't fix the lights bug is what's really bad. Now we need to wait for at least a week to be able design ships with colored lights again. I think this is one of the very important bugs that should be dealt with right after game-breaking or world-breaking bugs.

2. Servovicis Trainee Engineer

So do we need to wait a week to grind/weld things again?

3. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

The grinding/welding bug IS game breaking, and sounds like it has yet to be fixed.
    So remaining lighting issues, since they are aesthetic and therefore lower priority, would be behind that at the earliest I imagine.

I played for weeks without spotlights, then spotty spotlights after they tried to fix it.

EDIT: I realized my first post was too harsh, and not entirely relevant upon rereading, so I removed it. My apologies for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  4. Kuu Lightwing Senior Engineer

They break gorram light settings on save. I'd like to modify some of the ships I submitted for exploration, but if I do, I'll lose the color settings and restoring them would be awfully annoying...

5. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

What exactally is this welding and grinding bug haven't noticed it. I do think I know where these problems are occurring though it is probably keen secretly adding that new procedural generation code and it causing a lot of bugs just like the volumetric explosion did because it's a BIG CHANGE.to the games engine and block coding (because it will now have to load and unload blocks all the time).

6. Plexx Trainee Engineer

Sorry for my bad english.......
    Keen I love this game but, Please, please, under take something to the poor performance
    Only 16 frames with a I7 4930K @ 6x4.5 16GB RAM Two 780TI SLI and SSD
    in a 50Km world with 16 asteroids, 7 Small space ships and three stations, all together maximum 50,000 blocks and 50 floating objects:
    I know it's still early access, but please we need more performance

7. wd56 Apprentice Engineer

This bug cause the game to crash to when you welding, grinding or drilling. Sometimes it happens immediately or it works for a couple of minutes and then crashes. Grinding can also result in the game freezing up and stuck on a continuous sound loop of the grinding. The only way to get out the grinding sound loop is to go to task bar and end the process, so you can't even send a bug report to Keen.

8. scarletrever Trainee Engineer

I hope they get this fixed soon. They usually do.
    I won't know till I get home. I was still having issues late last night on my server.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  9. McyD Apprentice Engineer

I love how except for a few actual fixes, the bug fixing updates have made the game practically unplayable due to the increased amount of crashes and the huge FPS hit it is currently taking, or reverted the fixes they did in the first few updates.

Still, Keep up the good work Keen, I can't wait to see what else is going to be added in the future, and maybe in another year you will figure out how to test your updates before releasing them.

10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You are, of course, aware of how it should work because you have developed a video game before?

KSH is hiring. Perhaps they need someone to tell them they're not doing it right. Or perhaps you could be the update tester because you know how it's supposed to be done. After all, it never occurred to them to test their updates before release while the game is in Alpha. Yeah, they're all stupid.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm giving up on SE and I'm gonna wait for this guy's game.

11. Fyury Trainee Engineer

Well I *do* develop software and there are some basic smoke tests you can run ... like loading the game to see if there are asteroids, trying to grind a block to see if you can... Maybe they did run a series of tests, in which case I hope they review their test environment to make sure it is more like their real world players.

With that said ... I am frustrated and disappointed with this update, but mostly i continue to be amazed at what Keen has accomplished and continues to do week after week. It's unfortunate that there are times like this where they shoot themselves in the foot and these issues overshadow all the positives they have come before.

12. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

Space Engineers, I'm tryin' my best to keep lovin' you...
    But when ya' make it harder and harder for my computer to run you, completely neglecting performance fixes you promised several months ago...
    It gets kind of hard to keep loving you.

13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Dry your tears Space Engineers. You'll always have me :love:

14. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

So, I assume the welding/grinding/mining bug is in the most recent version 01.060.022 , yes?
    I am just asking because I could not confirm it so far.
    Not saying that it does not exist, of course.
    It may be productive to add the game version when talking about bugs because there are many hotfixes by now and the OP edits are not timed, sadly.

15. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Actually, you can.

If you use Microsoft's ProcDump utility (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx), you can take a process dump and post it on the forums or email it them. The dump it creates is the same crash dump that you would normally send Keen.

It works on a live, running process. Such as the infinite loop that the sound bug probably is stuck in.

To create the dump, run it from a command prompt like this:
    [SIZE= 11.0pt]procdump -ma -w SpaceEngineers.exe
    [/SIZE]
    It will generate a .dmp file, send that. Be sure to execute that command before you kill the process.

the -ma option will generate a very large dump. If it's too large, try -mp instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
  16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, there's "developing software" because you want to (back in the day I used to write all my own programs. Now it's just easier to buy them), then there's "developing software" because you have to, as in someone is paying you to produce and if you don't you're fired.

KSH is the former. They played some games and said (as many gamers do), "I could do better than this!" Difference being they put their money where their mouths are, and I seriously wonder if all these "experts" that show up here really have the stuff to do this even half as well as what KSH has produced so far.

Half.

I mean, can I go on your forums and tell you how badly you're screwing up? Mind you, any explanation you give will be automatically considered lame.

Folks, just how much criticism does your $20 investment in an unfinished game entitle you to?

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred."

17. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

The ability to play it. That's what I'm entitled to.

18. Fyury Trainee Engineer

"Mind you, any explanation you give will be automatically considered lame"

haha ... Wow, what a statement.
    Maybe I'm taking it out of context, I certainly hope so.

19. ac19189 Apprentice Engineer

Really guys..... REALLY?! You guys are whining about the smallest things.... Come on. Oh this patch screwed up my server.. Well if you are stupid enough to not own BACKUPS then you deserve it! ANY real host would know to have a backup even if its between updates. I personally run a 24 hour backup every night at midnight I backup my servers and databases.

Its not keens fault you cant BOTHER to not be lazy about it. Of course I know I am going to get slack from people that are like well I don't host a server I just play the game. Still a really lame reason for not creating backups you are told when you buy a computer BACK IT UP HARD DRIVES FAIL. Same should apply to a game if you cant be bothered to create one don't whine when it breaks! Good lord its like we have people here all of six years old.

As for the performance issues. Here's an idea consider updating your computer. I don't know maybe to something before 2000 before whining about it I am running a computer from WALMART from 5 years ago and a GPU from a year ago and I have 40FPS all day. Just because you want to be cheap doesnt mean you should blame the game. This game isn't WoW or LoL or some crap like that they have FAR more complex stuff going on in the background of this games coding. The AMOUNT of data this game needs to process for your gameplay is amazing. Its like coding a game where your sitting on a beach and every grain of sand interacts with the player and you are getting mad because you have control over every grain of sand but it lags your system.... WHAT COME ON! If you want the game to run fast they could simply remove the destructible armor function or better yet how about we just remove the asteroid destruction function you dont need to be able to blow up the rocks or mine them to play PFFT WE WANT SPEED!

I don't know just how many of you have coded a game before but I personally have done so in many languages ranging from C++ to VB all the way down to flash. If you don't have much of an understanding of coding maybe you should look into it before bashing them. You know odds are this game is a good million lines of coding if not more so for the hell of it lets say the coding is only as big as the dictionary. None of the coding is most likely indexed as nice as a dictionary so lets brush it up this way for you people that don't understand some basic coding.

The coding on a game of this scale would be like me saying HEY FIX THE LIGHTS LAGGING THE GAME ITS BETWEEN PAGES 163 and 192 go find it.
    So now what you got to do is go to page 163 and read EVERYTHING WORD FOR WORD because it could mean you forgot to close a statement meaning the coding is right but you forgot to end the line with a } so you cant SKIM IT. That being said once you find this issue you dont know for sure if thats the REAL issue because oh wait this is just the coding for the LIGHT OBJECT wait so theirs coding for how the SHADOWS ARE HANDLED AND HOW THE LIGHT IS HANDLED no way you mean the lighting system has about 50 other systems it could be tied into? Pfft should be easy you can use ctrl F duh..

Thats like me telling you heres a knife tell me why my car doesnt want to start when the lights are on and its below 20f.... But you cant use any tools because you got to rip apart the car to find the issue tools would make that easy for you.

It amazes me how little you people know and then want to turn around and bash the company for working its ass off. Now for the people here that understand this all and have something to input in a respectable manner I will be happy to have a chat back and forth with you and your more than welcome to share some points. I am just speaking for 10 years of coding and 15 years of hosting servers all ranging from gaming racks to full blown data centers so maybe my lack of knowledge is limited but I know its not as easy as everyone wants to whine about.

As for the people saying keen needs to test the software when it comes out. I personally have yet to see a time where when i LOAD SE does it FORCE me to update... I always pick to do so for the functions so if you are willing to TAKE the risk to update the game then dont whine when it breaks it if you cant be bothered to wait 24 hours for the update that fixes the game breaking bugs.

20. ac19189 Apprentice Engineer

Um well see heres the thing I just got done loading and playing the game for a good five maybe six hours with no bugs.. So I think its safe to say you can PLAY the game you most likely are getting things confused with playing on a dedicated server but you see heres the thing the game still works in single player might not work the way you want it to because you wish to play with your friends but the game itself still runs.

Now who knows maybe it doesnt if thats the case I have been just amazingly lucky but the reason the game is alpha is for this reason. You didn't pay for the game as a finished product thus meaning their will be bugs even game breaking bugs you are not ENTITLED TO PLAY it you are ENTITLED to the finished copy of the game and or any copy of the game you were promised access to aka alpha that doesn't mean it has to be playable you are just ENTITLED to the intellectual property or in this case the digital property.

They dont need to make the game playable they just need to make it available as per to the agreement upon purchase :)

21. ac19189 Apprentice Engineer

AMD Athlon II 640 3.0GHZ Quad Core
    5Gigs of ddr3 ram
    750gig 7200rpm sata 2 hard drive
    Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2gigs of ddr5 ram

Currectly pushing 51 fps with
    253 floating objects 8 Large ships 1 station 9 Small Ships 15 Asteroids in the largest size world you can build. No idea what to tell you I noticed the game doesnt like intel though :)

22. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

Well I have to say after testing once again I have no bad welding and grinding bug as far as I have tested for like 10 minutes.

23. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

What I have experienced so far:
    There is a bug. Mainly while grinding or mining. So far not while welding.
    It always occurred in moments where there should have spawned an object like rocks or parts that did not fit in my inventory.
    As long as there was no reason for the game to spawn objects, I was fine. That does NOT mean, that the crash was happening EVERY time an object was spawned.
    The crash did also not affect the server I was playing on.

24. Plexx Trainee Engineer

;)exactly ...
    therefore I have in all other games over 180FPS at 2560x1440
    but it is of course an Intel problem:idea:

25. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

Another thing that seems to have happened, Drill Shake seems to be gone according to this post:
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/drill-shake-removed-7203914?pid=1285376811#post1285376811

I can confirm that it is.
    I would consider this a bug, right?

26. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

I've finding that much of my stuff attached to rotors and ship docked by connectors seem to be shaking. Also I suspect that some of big ships that are not docked are also skaking. A lot of my ships seem to keep having their engines burst slightly as though it is compensating for some slight movement. When I tried to upgrade one of my solar farms (pointed to the sun thanks to rotors), its shaking kept getting worse and worse. Eventually, it got bad enough that I tried to abort out of fear that it will explode on me, but instead I got killed when I tried to get to safety. I reload several times and I got killed several times more (and sometimes my solar farm blow up). I quickly realized that I needed to do something different so I added a gyroscope and some engines to keep them still. I didn't want to do that, but on the plus side I was considering moving those panels elsewhere so I have all of the hardware that I need to do it now built.

I also started to notice lag in my game. Maybe it is related...

27. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

More testing on assemblers.

Disassemble mode stealing items from other assemblers. I've had assemblers in disassemble mode try to steal items to disassemble from other assemblers. When an assembler in disassemble mode runs out of parts, it will nab more parts. However, I found that my assemblers were taking parts from other assemblers, thus leading to the whole process slowing down to a crawl because only one was doing work at the time, and there was a brief pause before the assembler started on disassemble work. It would often only get 1 part done before it was stolen from. Mind you, I did have the assemblers closer to each other on the conveyer network than cargo containers, and I may have ran low on parts to disassemble (so they may have been stealing the only stack of its type in the conveyer network).

Assemblers can't dump raw materials properly. When an assembler disassembles goods, it gets raw materials back. At some point, it will need to dump the raw materials so it could resume work on disassembling stuff. Unfortunately, it turned out that it would dump to other assemblers. Assemblers don't seem to have a good mechanism to empty its cargo of raw materials (unlike parts which it is good at), let alone reject raw materials it does not want. I ended up with many assemblers dumping iron ingots to each other as they tried to make room so it was possible to disassemble stuff once more. Being full of raw materials led to assemblers stopping work altogether (until they managed to make room), so there were many slowdowns. These slowdowns kept happening until I manually move cargo so they stopped dumping to each other... only to need to do it again a little bit later.

Coop disassemble. There is no option for this (at least, I haven't found one yet). It would be nice if this was an added feature, to tell one assembler what to disassemble and have other assemblers to aid it. It is a bit of work to ensure that all assemblers are working while in disassemble mode.

Disassemble all goods on the conveyer network. There is no option for this either. The only options at this time cover things that are in the assembler inventory. Disassemble all, adds all items in the inventory to the disassemble queue. Once finished, it will stop. The repeat option will repeatedly added items it finds in its inventory (so you can add things later) to the disassemble queue.

28. Mara Trainee Engineer

Game just crash on dedicated 64bit server after using welder or grinder after this update... I play with my friends, they already sent you log files. The game is really unplayable...

29. FallenIgor Trainee Engineer

So yeah probably all of us already saw the "changes" after this patch. The loyal player and admins know to respect Keen's work and be grateful. Other's just flaming, as always.

BUT, yeah it's a rly good idea to create an "downgrade"-like function. Or better a function where you can decide between last 5 or 10 game versions. Or even better you as a dedicated server admin can choose what version the server should run and the client, if he has that game version, he'll just connect to your server with the right version. Or if the client doesn't have that version, he's game itself will download needed version of the server. That would be awesome. I remember some other game devs do that.

But in our case it will be fine enough just to have an option to choose between last 5 or 10 game versions so the server can still run the "older" version.

... damn there are quite a lot "version" int this post...

My regards,
    FA

P.S.: For me as an admin, my asteroids are gone and I can't check out/try anything, because as soon as I connect to the server, or anyone else, it crashes. Nevertheless the asteroid files exist in game folder, anyway.

30. Duke18d Trainee Engineer

As every "bugfix" they added more bug´s than fixes.. so sorry but where is the great work of keen? Maybe iam blind, but i dont saw it. The game is since more than 1 month unplayable first the laster Bug, than Projoctor Bug than the "i see the hole map" bug... whats next? God mode on pvp servers?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.