Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.069 – New armor block types, Armor and asteroid modding

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Geneticus Senior Engineer

Sorry Keen, but the rounded blocks look awful. Unless they are waiting on some geometry and rendering changes to percolate over from ME they detract from the experience rather than add to it.

I do however love the asteroid options!

How about letting us adjust the bounding box or do subtraction? Would be nice to be able to make a new vx2 file and build a corridor plan from solid material then subtract it from an existing or modified asteroid.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Morozova Trainee Engineer

Round in SE means

Round in ME means

:confused:

3. Saurus Trainee Engineer

Agree, the new armor blocks are welcome but the design/look needs more work

4. Wizlawz Master Engineer

interesting isn't it?

who will win? KSH or EGS?

the race is on!

5. ernic Trainee Engineer

Still WTB the same block within a block system ME has, for large ships/stations. I feel like that should be priority.

6. mhalpern Senior Engineer

while some are saying that the new armor blocks don't look rounded, consider how the deformation works, by moving the vertexes of the effected blocks, if you make it appear truly rounded you would have to give them too many triangles for exploration. so where they are is good because physics.

7. Killacyte Senior Engineer

Not delighted with this one. Til next week.

8. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

very nice. Going to see some great new ships come out. But please please please tell me more about AI and AI ships!

9. Guardian Trainee Engineer

Interesting, though I hope we will see some of the improvements in Medieval Engineers making their way back into Space Engineers after it's early-access launch next week.

The UI improvement for handling groups/sets of blocks (scroll wheel to switch between blocks in a group) would go well with the extra Armour blocks.

Blocks-In-Blocks for large ship interiors.

And maybe even structural integrity, so thrusters have to be braced or you risk crushing your own ship in High-G maneuvers

10. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

These are literally rounded armor blocks. As in, they took the armor blocks and rounded them (it's just they're rounded a bit, that's why it still has the edges).
    They're not ROUND though.

11. jondios Trainee Engineer

Now that we have rounded blocks we can make round towers and castles and ... do not know why we would want it in space ... Oh s*it !! Keen has done it again

12. Paintbox Trainee Engineer

Time to make an galactic iPhone! Bring on the bevels! :D

Thanks Keen :)

13. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

The Skeleton and bone info data have been in the game for quite awhile, we just didn't know how it worked, and yet they say it's NEW?

Come on Keen, only the description of it is new.

Also, Damage Effects Toggle? Was in 1.068.008, I saw it there. Never tried to see if it worked.

14. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

Tecnhically, they ARE. More precisely, Deformed blocks, with Data in the <Skeleton> and <BoneInfo> areas that you'd see in the .sbs file for a damaged ship.

15. Noganite Trainee Engineer

Okay... is it me or are those rounded blocks very angular? I have the small ships mod pack and it has rounded blocks and they actually look round...where is the effort Keen...Also, the effects of damage being able to be turned off is fine, except that it takes very little power to process those compared to shadows...FFS Please Make it so we can turn off Shadows!

16. evilkyle24 Trainee Engineer

Somebody already did this but better. Why didn't you just add their mod like you did with the fighter cockpit and work on some other things?
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=384960266
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=328494103

Someone even made more blast doors
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300571927

Give it your A game guys.

17. mega_newblar Trainee Engineer

Holy crap. Just watched several videos. Empyrion looks AMAZING. Crops + planets + station building + resource gathering + enemies??? It's like everything Space Engineers is not, can't wait!*

*Still love SE/Keen, not a diss, I can like two separate games, etc etc

18. DocMop Junior Engineer

Explanation why the round blocks are not round:
    The round blocks are not really round blocks but cubic blocks which had their vertices (bones) moved to different position.

Source:
    http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391202025

19. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Although the skeleton/bone info isn't new, the automatic deformation of adjacent blocks is.

Also, I'm still not sure how well this can be applied to blocks larger than 1x1x1: the guide does say vertices can be moved a whole block length along their axes so 2x2x2 armor blocks should be possible but what about 3x1x1 structures in mods like UncleSte's Armor Ramps?

20. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

The reason they don't use TRUELY round blocks, is because of the sheer NUMBER of Vertices necessary for making that visual representation.

Doubling the number of Vertices would get it closer, but then you'd double your triangle count too.

Remember, more vertices, more rendering calculations.

21. wd56 Apprentice Engineer

You stayed up nearly 24 hours for rounded blocks? That existed as a mod?

Bro, priorities.

22. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

He must have a sleep disorder, I was taking a nap when the update happened :)

23. Balmung Senior Engineer

Yeah, and than we have again a Shitstorm about bad Performance. ;)

It is always the same with Players only, they didn't know how that all works, what is possible and what is not. The End is always the same: a Shitstorm. ^^

And after all you can only say: this Game is still in Alpha!

@evilkyle24: because this are no Armor Blocks, they looks like but they didn't work like the original Armor Blocks and have not that Damage Deforming than the original Armor Blocks have. All User generated Blocks are 3D Objekts, but Armor Blocks are no normal 3D Objects, they work different in the Engine.

24. voicesdark Senior Engineer

That's not even remotely true, the round blocks can easily be done through a number of different methods that would prevent them from having any sort of performance issues once so ever.

25. Killacyte Senior Engineer

Uhhh, curves are very poly intense. You should elaborate on how that is not true.

26. mega_newblar Trainee Engineer

27. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

I am allergic to cats, your point?

28. mega_newblar Trainee Engineer

https://www.google.com/search?q=self-evident&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=define:+self+evident

29. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

Never contradict someone who knows more about the subject than you do. SE doesn't have the engine to PROVIDE ready access to low vertice count ROUNDING. EVER.

I know a lot about 3D modeling. Had to buy a version of 3DS Max years ago to achieve some of my job requirements in that area. Smoothing Can't do a good job if the display engine can't represent them.

30. RobberFly Trainee Engineer

I really appreciate the compromise made for these new blocks.

The low poly count will help keep our dedicated servers from suffering more poor optimization.

Thank you so much for not using those ridiculous perfectly rounded blocks. They're not very realistic at this point in time, and are contributing to many perceived performance woes amongst the community.

However, once all the major content is in, and the teams are able to shift gears to focus on optimization, we would appreciate if the models for these new round blocks were revisited.

Is there perhaps any way to automatically identify mods in the workshop that can negatively impact our performance more than should be reasonably expected (like perfectly round models <.<)? I believe it would go a long way in setting realistic expectations if we were warned of such phenomena when subscribing to mods.

Keep up the great work and smart decisions, Keen! I can't believe you're keeping pace with these weekly updates. ^.^

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.