Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.101 - Landing gear fix, Performance improvements, Small ship turrets

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. McyD Apprentice Engineer

Keen has released patches on Monday's previously for large impact bugs, don't see why they wouldn't again if need be.

2. Legotaz Trainee Engineer

thing is i dont understand , the amount of bugs and how bad they are cant possibly slip under the radar during final testing surely.... maybe one or 2 but for the whole game to be peppered with them doesnt seem right to me
    i personally think somebody at keen might have been taking a lazy day on the time of final testing.......

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

It's kinda hard to release hotfixes on the weekends when you don't work on the weekends I have seen hotfix Mondays before though.

4. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

I think you turned it up to get a tan.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

Is any one else Having Issues getting out or in of cockpits Or having doors not Close all the way ???

6. Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

Hopefully keen will finally do something about that, and we can get some proper fighter AI built up! I think we probably could make a few pirate AI drones with a few modded blocks that could get around that, though, i'll see what I can do when I play later tonight.

7. Silvak Apprentice Engineer

There are no rules for versioning. Zero. Zip. Nada. As such you are drawing significance where there is none and thus your expectations are completely unrealistic.

Did you actually read your "source"?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maquereau Trainee Engineer

Small ship turrets, huh? I did kind of hope that would be reserved for mods. I hope there's some kind of massive penalty for using them.

9. Beeskee Trainee Engineer

Please add neutral/friendly NPCs. :)

The Project Exodus trading stations, pre-loaded with some trade goods and uranium, would be a treat.
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=454965033

edit: every single time I try to dock I blow up the docking connectors, their pull strength seems to have been cranked up way too much.

edit2: another bug: medical stations aren't pulling/detecting oxygen in tubes properly under certain conditions. I have one connected directly to a network with oxygen tanks, it can't seem to give oxygen when used, but the cryo chamber and cockpit directly connected to it have no trouble giving oxygen when used.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

i googled for sources and found this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wikiot&defid=2361991 kappa

actually at your source it is stated "developers often start at version 1 for the first release of a program and increment the major version number with each significant update."

which is not using the definition of "release" you try to shove us
    also emphasizing "often start" is not "always start"

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

You know, it's never been presented as v1.0 as far as I know, but rather as 01.XXX.XXXX, with, as mentioned, Medieval Engineers being 02.XXX.XXXX, those representing patching instances, not actual milestones. In fact, the current assembly for Sandbox.Game says it's version 0.1.5746.33290. So this stuff varies quite a bit depending on who/what you ask, and I really know from experience, not just theories. There are many "common" ways to represent a version depending on purpose or personal preference, like the famous "v1.0" used to represent big planned fixed hits (when you plan feature packs with a lot of time), the reversed date I've seen in use for database fixes (20150927_1 with that last number representing multiple releases in one day), simplified incremental versioning (version/patch 1, 2, 3, 4...), or combinations to represent current targets (e.g. v1.0_20150927_a3_448). In the end, it's mostly an internal working reference. Ending this little snippet with this quote:

Nope. No fixed regulations, only many common ways, like recommendations or non-written rules that not everyone has to follow unless you work on big teams or with external contractors that need to conform to a specific frame of progress information. And still, as long as the leads define what means what (so that everyone is on the same page), it can be whatever the boss likes it to be.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

First, I LOVE the quoting system on this forum! Select, click quote, and then paste quote buttons.

Second, "SINK" component? Is Keen running out of things to add that they're adding kitchen sinks to the game?!? {smirk}

With that Enable, there are a couple of posts people have noticed (Myself included) that a couple of APIs have been disabled, specifically with monitoring the energy components. I heard the API doc also had that API removed, but if the document is auto-generated I can see why it no longer has it listed.

13. enkryptor Apprentice Engineer

I'm not really in modding, but my guess "sink" is actually a power-consuming bock.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I'd love for longer-range sensor blocks to be a thing; in combination with friendly AI support, it'd mean we could create automated grid-turret emplacements; rocket banks, ore cannons, massblock printers...

15. Thales M. Senior Engineer

At least one week.

16. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Rotal your signature makes me chuckle every time. Love it. I haven't noticed this change in brightness. you running DX11? If so i'll load it up in that and try it out. See if I get something similar.

17. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

They HAVE, on random occasions, dropped hot-patches on Mondays. But I've never seen them do them on weekends Sat/Sun.

18. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

You know, I can wait a week or 2 to play again. I now have time to play other games I've been ignoring because of SE :p

19. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

That's because they do work on weekends they are human remember.

20. Borrelhapje Trainee Engineer

My friend and I found that putting off the helmet used some 20-40% energy, and putting it on again drained it all. Hope this helps resolve things.

21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

22. Methlon Trainee Engineer

It did add a few bugs, but the game IS alpha, so I try not to gripe about bugs too much unless reporting.
    (Biggest one so far, is my energy level will drop from 100 to 0 after medical stationing. Or reloading the game, to which I log in to zero energy and thus no jetpack. That was an adventure. It did force me to go into dirty evil creative mode though.)

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with the guts ripped out of a drone carrier, salvage in progress, spending excessively long hours repairing my ship... aaaaand here comes another one already. lol
    Yea, I love the new threat aspect, but I think maybe encounters should be either turned down a notch, or offer a way to escape these things. Maybe a neat little mod chip to go into an antennae or something? Make them think 'yalls one of them at range; not craftable but only found after killing a carrier?

Sorta gripe (I loved every minute of the shiny new experience) on my first run in, I didn't have a single projectile on my WIP ship, so while trying to find magsneezium I gunned it away.. and it was still gaining on me at max speed. So I punch all three of my jump drives.. that should get me out of range, right? It's still on radar, and it's still getting closer.. it's just farther away. Sufficed to say, you're not escaping jaws. At least not yet.

Otherwise, I'll just log into creative temporary and ctrl X the thing away until I've finished devouring the first beast lol.

23. Mal Trainee Engineer

Lots of complaining about all the new bugs. Sure lots of them, but I have been playing SE all weekend. There is already soo much to do in this game that its a matter of just doing something that is not buggy right now.

24. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I don't have a HUGE problem with this patch, but the framerate is a problem in this regard, 'cause you can't nope out of single digit FPS without loading up an empty world and working on a shoebox...

25. Mal Trainee Engineer

True enough, but then again, if its your huge base thats giving you most frame drops then go hunting some pirates instead :)

26. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

27. Styles Trainee Engineer

As you said, modern PCs are very diverse - how can you possibly fault them for only being able to test on the hardware they own? Or, how can you assume that they own enough machines to represent that full diversity? It seems clear that they have a very limited, probably more high-end collection of hardware, while most of the bugs are discovered by players with low to mid-range hardware - it's quite likely that many of these performance bugs actually do slip their notice simply because their test hardware isn't slow enough to make the bugs noticeable... And of course, they're using the Early Access system as it was intended, so why would they undermine that by testing each release for a few weeks before letting us play with them? Testing takes time - if they did all the testing themselves, then the past year of development would have taken several years... so do you want the game as soon as possible, or do you want to only see the finished product a decade from now?

No, your expectations are becoming irrational... "Why isn't this pre-release, early access game fully release ready yet? Why do the beta tests have bugs? Why can't it be perfect already? They must suck at development - it certainly isn't an issue with my expectations being based in fantasy..."

You and FlakMagnet should probably avoid Early Access entirely, because you miss the point entirely, which causes you to whine and complain about the Early Access program working exactly the way it was designed to work ;)

It says that they're far more in touch with reality than you are, which is why they're able to accomplish as much as they have - if you were the dev team behind this game, it sounds like you would have given up after the very first prototype because it would be lacking functionality and would contain bugs...

The key word in that entire quote is "often" - meaning that it is a commonly used method. That does not mean it is the only method, or that it is required by any system of laws or standards. In fact, there are no established standards for version numbering - check out Ubuntu or Starbound, both of which use animals to denote major versions (Precise Pangolin, etc).

Next you'll be telling us that we all play hopscotch the wrong way :p

• Like Like x 1
  28. Mal Trainee Engineer

LOL I dont know your setup. In my case I have a 60mill kg cruiser thats right now giving me lots of frame rate problems so I have parked it away at an asteroid some 20km away so it wount affect my frame rate.

29. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

is it me or are things very brittle? like really easy to break?

30. Midorikawa Trainee Engineer

The new landing gear is fantastic.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.