Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.104 - Bugfixing, Tutorial unlocking, Revised Tutorial 1

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

More than likely, no, but it does bring about the challenge, who will be the first to drill entirely through a planet and still have a working computer at the end of it all?

2. DaNetNavern0 Trainee Engineer

Why Space Engineer needs to wear this massive lifesupport system on a planet?
    I think, 1st thing, what real man will do after landing, is taking his space suit down.

3. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

But what if you forgot a change of clothes?...

On second thought, after spending the last 2 years with the same damn spacesuit on I would strip down bare anyway and run along the landscape in all of my manly glory skipping and yelling "Yippee!"

$1 Million to whoever posts a video of this on planet launch day.(With all the manly bits blurred out of course :D)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Styles Trainee Engineer

Just a guess from your description - could the friction setting have been somehow defaulted to zero? (Although I do seem to remember at least one setting that seemed to be backwards, i.e. zero was max and max was min... maybe it was the friction setting and they finally fixed it...)

And did you double check block ownership? That's one possible candidate to explain the greyed out controls...

5. Cmdr_Forge Apprentice Engineer

entire vehicle is set to me, friction and other sliders are set above 70% but below the 100% mark and it still refuses to move forward or reverse at all. The station platform has 1g gravity and only a single mass block is on top of the vehicle which isn't really that heavy. I was trying out the jackal to get a reference idea for how to build the frame of my scout bike.

Edit: heh heh...I found out where the problem was. While I was checking settings I forgot the very feature that keeps them in place just like the regular landing gears, lol. Oh well, at least its working.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kateye Trainee Engineer

If you're inside a pressurized environment with a gravitational field that's built to be navigated without a jetpack, then taking off the jetpack and most of the backpack has the functional application of no longer draining energy, like how taking off the helmet no longer drains oxygen. Even when standing around, your suit still drains energy from what I've seen. Perhaps it would also allow you to walk or run faster because you're not lugging around the bulky suit. Of course, this assumes that there's a suit stand like you see in normal sci-fi airlocks so you can leave behind the suit.

You know how there's a check box when setting up your map to turn off jetpacks? Taking off your suit would be doing that in game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChiSloan Trainee Engineer

new update is causing crashes to desktop

• Like Like x 1
  8. DMATH Trainee Engineer

Hmm. When i engage the jump drive it says autopilot enabled and stays that way, completely locked out of the controls unless i reload the save.

Might need to tell keen

9. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

As some others say, im not a fan of that stupid hype train thing, planets will get there and people will find new things to whine at, so what the point of even whining planets arent there yet.

Id rather have keen take its sweet time to do their thing, and i may not be the first one to say it, but i can warrant that once planets are released, people will, as usual, whine even more for newer content with some really really sad and stupid whines.

that being said, thanks for this update, my body will be ready for that precious patchmas! even if some people arent appreciative of your hard work, Keen Devs! :)

10. Lyrus Apprentice Engineer

+1 and no man can pee without a tree!

11. Beeskee Trainee Engineer

12. atomontage Trainee Engineer

LOL. People at KSH definitely know about all the recent train derails so to say. So they release... water and animal teaser! Brilliant trolling.

No Im not serious, just making fun of it - the teaser is awesome. Didnt think they would be doing animals and all the nature is friggin beautiful!

13. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

Spiders? Spiders?! Why's it always gotta be spiders :(

[​IMG]

Okay, I'm mostly ready now.

• Like Like x 4
  14. faceit77 Apprentice Engineer

I think they are aware of the issues. Rome was not built in 1 day, and devs can work on multiple things at once you know ;)

15. superpie Trainee Engineer

This is neat and all, but I feel like necessary engaging features are being left out while less necessary (but still cool!) features are being prioritized. What this game needs is any sort of goals. I'm excited for planets, but I'm still going to quit soon after starting for the same reasons. What's there to do? Just build for the sake of building? I personally think keen has lost sight of what makes a game fun.

16. RustyXXL Apprentice Engineer

Sorry, I disagree, but nowadays I almost exclusively play games that don't have an explicit goal. I make my goals up on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis of what I feel to accomplish. Goals in games are usually arbitrary anyway. Even in games with set goals it's often more fun for me to explore what happens when I explicitly don't follow the games goals.

17. superpie Trainee Engineer

No need to apologize for disagreeing. I personally like having some goals once in a while, especially with some flexibility for how to accomplish them. Also as an "engineering" game, I think they could do more than just let you create your own problems to solve. Why not confront you with something you didn't expect? Currently the only problems they present are very shallow. Get oxygen, get power, hide from or shoot asteroids or ships. Don't get me wrong, I like having freedom in games. I just think they are building out their most complete part of the game while leaving a potentially exciting element untouched.

18. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

i would probably not even be able to find it with an antenna :woot:

19. WDMeaun Apprentice Engineer

I play Space Engineers on and off and read all the latest news updates. (currently also playing online survival, but maybe been offline too long now)

I am honestly wondering how realistic the implementation of those planetary teasers are.
    Not meant as criticism, but Space Engineers has its performance flaws, which are addressed to, but still not optimal.
    Especially online it's noticable, but it might just as well be about parts of coding, which werent optimalized yet. (addressing specific instances rather than blind loops and such: regular development)

The things shown in the teasers looks to be quite a bit heavier on performance, for example.. only just that amount of trees.. Is that even possible? (I don't have Medieval Engineers, where its been implemented already, I believe)
    It's a relative huge voxel thing, but I presume the engine is written to do that in a speedy fashion. (haven't read into how engines deal with voxel volumes)

As an example I'm using the forests, seen in the teasers, and am wondering whether it's even possible.. Including the rest of Space Engineers, which we already have.

Got the impression that there is quite a bit of development necessary, before the game can take the performance hit of 'living' planets.
    As in.. at the very least 6 months more (if there isn't a lot of work unreleased)

20. faceit77 Apprentice Engineer

It's a sandbox.. what do you expect? because you don't like it doesn't mean they lost sight of what makes a game fun.

21. faceit77 Apprentice Engineer

Hi fellow dutchman, indeed it looks heavy on performance, but do you think developers will add something like this if it's not possible ? don't worry about it. Game devs are usually well organized and know what they are doing:)

22. RustyXXL Apprentice Engineer

Well, as long as reaching that goals doesn't mean "I've beaten the game" I can kinda agree. But most of the time those goals shouldn't be forced on you. There are some things that are good to be forced on you, like energy and power but having to defend your base every x amount of time or having to repair it regularly just adds tedium. What I could imagine is more exploration content. Maybe some kind of random genned Space station dungeon, with something opposing and riddles/problems to solve, which could reward you with special decorative items you counld build on your station for example. Add a lot of those to collect....Those are "Goals" I do like, as long as they are in a sense completly optional, if you understand what I mean.

23. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

Nice teaser. Both water and over-hanging terrain included (the top-left mountain in the bit just before the mud shot); very impressed. If they're not entirely hand-made scenes and the rest of the scenery is being procedurally generated at that level of quality then it bodes really well for the future.

24. superpie Trainee Engineer

Exactly! Things to spice up an already fantastic sandbox for those of us who like direction once in a while. Opt in if you want to direction.

25. superpie Trainee Engineer

I expect a game about "Engineering" to provide challenges for me to solve. That's what makes engineering fun :). I understand it's a sandbox. In fact it does that so well I think that adding more sandbox features is just tossing a bucket of water into the ocean at this point. I think updates to game play goals has higher potential for impact.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Xanyk Trainee Engineer

I think there will be plenty of engineering challenges ahead, especially with the addition of planets. The logistics behinds mining on a planet vs. mining an asteroid are far different as far as the game's mechanics are concerned. With gravity and such that will pose some issues that I am currently trying to solve myself. So far I can see the primary goal of a planet-surface, starting scenario ( can anyone else say new "crashed red ship" scenario?) will be to survive, possibly against AI creatures, and get into space.

If last weeks teaser is any indication that will not be an easy or quick task. It looks like you'd have to build, essentially, a working starter ship ( i.e., Power, Refinery, Assembler, O2 Generator ) on top of a large, disposable rocket. Once in space you'll need power to keep the ship going, which might be fine provided you found Uranium, otherwise you might be relying on solar panels and a couple of batteries for the shady spots. At that point, you have essentially reached the next "stage" of the game. Now the exploration of space and other planets can start. In the mean time, you'll have a small(ish) base already on your home planet that you could always return to.

Also, I would love a scenario ( in future when net-code is properly implemented ) where multiple players start on the same planet. They war, they broker peace, they make pacts... but all in the back ground of the scenario, the Space Race is brewing. Who will get to space first and exploit the vast resources of the infinite void? Who will gain the tactical advantage of being able to set up orbital defensive platforms and orbital bombardment satellites? The idea makes me giddy.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

I find the new appearing Bugs annoying, too.
    Though I have no big crashes so far, the game got a lot more unstable with this update and Oxygen is still broken in many ways.

But think about it. A big part of this game is being retooled for planets. We already got some Performance fixes, and I would expect that Keen found a new System to organise Planet Voxels that might even help increase Performance all over the board. In Addition to that, the planet's atmospheres are a big part, too. That changing Code has ramifications for existing Systems isn't really that surprising.
    We are all pretty excited for planets, but we also know that the new netcode is in the works, too. It's just not that easy to Show in a Video or simply not ready yet.
    Patience is the only thing that helps right now.

• Like Like x 1
  28. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

I often think about what the game will become in some months or years.
    You sir, just made waiting for it even harder - I don't know if I should thank or curse you

• Like Like x 1
  29. FaXeN Trainee Engineer

Yeah I realy think this is bad for no reason.
    As example if u see some friend struggel with some construction u can´t just say dude tutorial xy will show u how it´s done.
    And now this will waste alot of time because u are forced to do something wich is not fun gameplay wise.

sry for my bad english and no planets this week :eek:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  30. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

Please note you weigh 100 kilograms with the suit. Most of it is probably the backpack, which also contains thrusters. Imagine how much easier it'd be to move without the additional 40 kg (based on the statistic that an average adult weighs 60kg, since you have to be rather fit to be an astronaut). And a planet with multiple G directions? That makes no sense until they were some weird gravity vortexes (like in STALKER :p)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.