Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.105 - Hydrogen thrusters, MP improvements, New battery behavior, Slide doors

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

If the issue is that you haven't balanced the forwards and backwards thrusters (why you wouldn't is beyond me) all you need to do is still to flip your ship around.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Riph Trainee Engineer

3. EvanBaxter52 Trainee Engineer

All doors are open in my scenarios after this update. Even if door is offline, or damaged, it's just open. Congrats, Keens, you broke all my work. Thanks.

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Something I learned the hard way by slamming my ship into a friends ship online.. is don't point your ship at the thing you are traveling too, this way if you are a bad pilot or have a ship with not so much stopping power you can at least miss what you are traveling too.

Try using the new thrusters for stopping, they are quite powerful.

5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It has been reported : >

6. EvanBaxter52 Trainee Engineer

I know, my friend just right now said it to me :D

7. Phyrino Trainee Engineer

Hope there is a Hotfix soon.
    In my dedicated server:
    1. I cannot have "clients can save" no option there, very good for backup!
    2. error message when joining and choosing respawn position.
    3. cannot sort inventory by cargo containers.
    And the most important
    4. The server keeps crashing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

Tell this to the people who love to build battery-powered-only ships. Prior to this update they needed to build a kickstart nuclear reactor to give a first charge to the batteries, enough to allow flying the ship to a connector in order to fully charge the batteries. Now you can build ship that have batteries as their only power source.

That's the only REAL issue with the batteries, and I hope this will be balanced in future updates.

9. jk Apprentice Engineer

Wohooooo! - After one year stuck in doors... better doors.... .. .! :woot:
    (lets hope, maybe 100% closed too) ;P

10. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

Anyone else having problems in Multiplayer with players just floating away even when they have come to a stop?

• Like Like x 2
  11. jamesb6626 Trainee Engineer

This is getting beyond a joke now, many steam workshop files fail to load with: "world file is corrupted and could not be loaded" and they've gone back to the crappy lighting where we can't see anything after having JUST FIXED IT A FEW UPDATES AGO.

Edit: Checked in the "old_multiplayer" version, which seems to just be version 01.104, and it has neither of these problems, so they where introduced with this update. Examples are this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247816300
    and this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=240433382

Not surprised about the first one if new multiplayer things have been added, but the second is just annoying. Its gone back to how it was when DX11 was first introduced, where the in-game "eyes" automatically adjust slowly to make things darker in dark places an lighter in light places, when it should be the other way around.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  12. ndwar Apprentice Engineer

Okay a little more detail is in order I think. Multiplayer connected clients to my ran world can't get close to a large ship, especially after the ship has moved, making one character teleport around like mad. Connecting to the other players we hit the same problems on his world, where the server player is fine, but can watch other players glitch and teleport around without input from them.
    Checking the netgraph provided we see huge red spikes every now and again, more prevailiant when a ship is being flown by a connected client. The medbay throws huge red spikes when being used as well.

13. corveris Trainee Engineer

the game is unplayable at this moment. bug with invisible asteroids make it no way to get an ore((( wait the next updete is only what the most players can do...

• Like Like x 3
  14. orangep9 Trainee Engineer

Before the update inertia dampers were able to slow a ship 10x as fast as you thrusting in the other directon now on large ships its 0x and on small ships its 5x
    and i thank suits are 0x
    have a nice day:)

15. entspeak Senior Engineer

This is why I've been asking for well over a year now that Keen return the feature where you could lock to unpowered connectors - as was possible back when batteries were first introduced. You didn't need to build a reactor in battery powered ships back then, because you could simply build over a connector and charge the batteries as you were building. You could also have removable battery packs and storage container modules... in fact, they show this kind of thing in the update video when batteries were first released. Looks like Keen realized, with the introduction of AI drones, that having to build a reactor in your battery powered ship is a pain. This magical 30% is a poor fix for the problem, though, and the scrapping of power cells is way too much of a price to pay.

Read the signature and vote!

• Like Like x 1
  16. WaYa Trainee Engineer

Know what would be awesome to go with the hydrogen? Power cells, and along with it a hydrogen tank option that when set only collects hydrogen when breaking down ice for the oxygen. (or have the option in the generator itself) then the power cell could be prioratized right after the solar panel. it'd be always on if used at a station/base but usually off if on a ship that also uses the hydrogen thrusters.

17. Unstoppableforce Trainee Engineer

Guess how batteries work...

18. Zeal Trainee Engineer

I do like this update a lot but i also feel planets are way over due. Regarding hydrogen its a really cool idea but as someone stated i think we have enough to carry around a seperate storage for oxygen and hydrogen would be nice and or ideal. Regardless well done Keen keep up the good work!

19. The MoSS 2 Apprentice Engineer

There is nothing magical, it is just chemistry. Accumulators alternate between 2 states of chemicals, one can provide power and the second one can be changed back by providing electricity. Guess what happens if you build accumulator by using the chemical compounds of the "charged" state...

20. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

Guess how they used to work BEFORE this update, dude...:eek:ops:

21. Unstoppableforce Trainee Engineer

They worked the CORRECT WAY.

22. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

That's YOUR OWN opinion and maybe that of some other people, but from what I've seen it's not that of the majority of the players, including myself. Just read this whole topic, as I did, it's not that long to read 10 pages, and you'll see that almost all posters are VERY HAPPY with the battery changes, except for the power cells going scrap when grinding a battery.

• Like Like x 1
  23. The MoSS 2 Apprentice Engineer

If would be nice to add "discharged powercell" item that needs to be re-refined back into powercell. Like the scrap matel needs to be refined back into iron ingots. Refining can have 100% efficiency, let's say that refineries recharged them back to previous state. Also, they could be used to make "dischared battery" block that doesn't start with any stored power. Problem solved, game chemistry/physics integrity unharmed :)

Another idea: Hey, new discharge/charge battery states allows semi-inteligent battery scripts to recharge them automaticaly as soon as the power usage drops below 25% for longer than a minute or if power usage with charging is not "overload"

24. sironin Trainee Engineer

My feeling is that's fixable by simply modding the power cell component to be made out of iron or changing the battery component requirements to drop the power cell in favor of steel plates or something equally made of the same thing as scrap. Or maybe add a device that can assemble components out of scrap. I do understand the desire to keep things as hard science as possible though. Then again who's to say we won't one day figure out how to make super capacitor batteries out of iron nano-tubes.

25. RustyXXL Apprentice Engineer

I highly doubt that the majority of the players even read these forums, let alone post here...

I do agree that having Batteries being the only thing that looses components when grinding down is at least counter intuitive. I don't really mind loosing the stuff, but its kinda strange, even though I can understand, that there needs to be a mechanism that prevents getting free Energy out of the mechanic.
    Then again I fail to see the need for having the batteries charged at the start. All my ships are built in a way they need a jump start at the beginning for conveyors to start working so the Reactors can pull in uranium etc, but it always was pretty easy to engineer around in the building process. Maybe I'm missing some aspects, but atm even after reading most of the argument I really don't see the big need for this, but as I said I don't really mind it either.
    The only thing that's kinda bad in my opinion is, that it's kinda counter intuitive that batteries now are the only thing that loose components when build and then ground down. Maybe extend this feature, so that every block above a certain complexity looses some percentage of its more complex components when ground down.

26. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

To the best of my knowledge, most battery types start life (when they're assembled) mostly or fully charged, rechargables are only really drained at time of sale cause they discharged on the way, every phone I've bought, sealed in it's box, has had a partly charged battery.

On topic, sweet update, gotta re-work the designs AGAIN, but what the hay.

27. Kittani Trainee Engineer

So I messed with it for about 15 minutes last night until I realized the oxygen generator does not produce hydrogen, tanks do not fill. Basically a useless upgrade.

Also, The battery salvage thing is bull and makes no logical sense. It takes alot of valuable components to make a power cell and by grinding it down all of that precious metal just winks out of existence and you get scrap steel in return. Guess I can add batteries to the list of blocks I will never be foolish enough to use. Also there's a whole array of ships I won;t bother salvaging now because I mostly just tackled them for a less expensive source of batteries for my relay stations. I like the new charging mechanics but the salvage thing is just bumpkis, especially if you place it down and realize you wanted it oriented a different way.

Also, Also... saying you made MP bugfixes but not saying what you fixed is useless information. You could in-fact be wasting a ton of bug hunters time by saying that you fixed bugs and having them have to go through everything they think is broken to test it out on their servers.

Oh and the all doors open on load killed me. I didn't lose anything but time but it was annoying to log in and wonder why you are dying in a flight seat. Guess the helmet stays on from now on as well.

28. Mal Trainee Engineer

I liked stealing power cells from the commercial freighter. I guess Power cells are now the only component that you need to build. so be it.

Besides that I must say the use of hydrogen for jet pack works quite well. Depending on work it last somewhat like oxygen and energy and gets refuelled when sitting in cockpit connected with hydrogen tanks (by connector or local on ship) so its not a problem with inventory. You never need a bottle in your inventory. Just like oxygen. I never carrie oxygen around except when boarding ships.

However I would like the icon for different bottles were different. Just a small color sign a colored band around the bottle or something small.

And I think that hydrogen makes Oxygen Farms obsolete. You will need hydrogen no matter wheat for the jetpack and even more if used as thrusters. As a by product you get more oxygen than you will ever need. So oxygen farms are not that usefull right now.

29. Artemis40A4 Trainee Engineer

I think it´s time for the next HYPE TRAIN. The hotfixe will come at the end of the LIVESTREAM and will have PLANETS!!!! Did you see how the astronaut in the last video just enjouied himselfe as if he had nothing else to do. I am exieted.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Albee12 Trainee Engineer

Seems like people will have to be intuitive to invent designs where jetpack use is minimized or avoided for the sake of hydrogen preservation. Also I like the idea of setting an oxygen generator to produce H2 only, otherwise make something like the oxygen farm except for hydrogen, as I'm almost sure most people's goal is to have as many renewable resources as possible.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.