Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.106 - Pistons performance improvements, Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

As usual....the latest update was amixed bag.

Good to see the invisible asteroids gone for DX11. the lighting has gone very dark.....and the shadows are a bit glitchy, but at least the floating rocks in space are not vanishing when you get closer to them!

Less good is the refinery issues, with the queues locking up and the refinery refusing to work, or else the refinery refusing to swap to a different mineral unless you remove ALL the other stuff. Makes survival unplayable.

I am hoping the massive changes inducing all these bizarre effects are coming to a close, as some of them have been less than enjoyable! Fixes should make things better! Other issues that I hope will get addressed soon are filters on the H2 tanks ( to keep out the other stuff they suck in ) and making sure hostile drones show up on the HUD before they open fire.....as if you are out in your suit, you last about half a second under fire!

As people keep reminding....thi is Alpha .... but the recent changes have broken more things than ever before, and have made the game quite hard to play/enjoy for lots of users. I am sure it's all rewrites driven by code alterations to implement planets, but we don't actually have them. Just the side effects. Better be worth it when we get them!

• Like Like x 1
  2. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

This is alpha excuse, after 2 years released to the public is a little thin an excuse for me at this stage.
    This development team is over 60 strong, this is alpha doesn't cut it, this is complicated code and a lot of work is closer to the truth.

There working with there own engine v-rage2 and havoc an Intel physic's library, so its complicated and fiddly to sort through bugs, and they are not permitted to actually change parts of havoc, so I guess they create wrappers or the like to get around that, but its not just a matter of, it alpha, that excuse really is afubar after 2 years, you would think they would have a really good understanding of there two game engines by now and there game code.

Releasing there source code to the public is either to attract talent they don't have to help fix the game or just plain crazy. There are already games now being created that look like clones of SE, and Im not talking about Empyrion.
    So we are yet to see how releasing the source really plays out in the long run, I hope it doesn't damage KEEN to the point of sales and SE stops production.

This update was ok though, pistons needed some serious work, finally there getting some attention.
    What KEEN really need to do is focus that whole team on planets, and get that out to the public, they have had a few problems with planets and delays, I suspect performance related, but who really knows, we will probably get them as the big x-mass update at this stage, even if they are ready now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

well, the reason why "this is alpha" excuse would work for me is because this game has so much potential you could add 2 features a week for 2 more years and you'd still have room for more.

but that is also implies that if you are going to polish stuff only after all features are added you won't ever polish it

4. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

According to the Keen 2 year anniversary live stream, the bulk of hte team IS working on planets, with some work being put in to a rewrite of the online code.

5. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

the use of the source,at least the last i checked,is a bit limited due to a lot of their work afaik being in a non-public branch. so if they keep that up, they can probably keep it from being too much of a menace to them,at least for major upcoming features to prevent from being ripped off that way

6. The MoSS 2 Apprentice Engineer

It's not just the alpha excuse. Community requested planets and this request has consequences. These consequences are new bugs, delayed game development and polishing - slower progress of everything expect upcoming planets. Planet request sent game back to early alpha in a sense; and we asked them to do it. Complaining about new bugs and refusing responsibility for it is childish.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Followed the games development from 2013, its not childish to post an opinion that's not rude or nasty at anyone.

Calling someone rude for posting there opinion in such a case is.

8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I believe most of the engineering currently done has purpose to some extent. "Space Spiders" provide little inspiration for engineering, in my opinion, and plenty of inspiration for shooting and blowing things up. No worse than "pirate" NPC's that kill you but don't take your stuff (Arrr, they be missin' the point).
    It's not an excuse. It's never an excuse. It is simply the fact. The game is in Alpha. It's not finished. It's not near being finished. It may never be finished. Keen is making the game and we're all along for the ride, and it's a bumpy one. Comparing SE to other games in development and suggesting that all games are the same and should adhere to the same development schedule is unreasonable. The complication of the code and the amount of work needed to uncomplicate it has no bearing on the code's designation as Alpha. It's Alpha until all the features are in and the game is relatively stable. Neither of those conditions have been met, so it's still Alpha. Being in alpha has not been and will never be an excuse for the existence of bugs or an inability to address long-standing bug issues. When people whine and we respond with "it's alpha" that doesn't mean bugs are acceptable. It means they should be expected.

You know, like in that other game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. slr321 Trainee Engineer

Does anyone know the number for the Space AA?

Middle of mining and my ships thrusters just turn off (display and everything) they're set as on but nothing I've switched ship off and on and no go. Not sure if this is a bug or not but I've looked at reactor and there's plenty of 'Gas' (Uranium) everything is set to me.

Never posted a bug before but want to make sure it's not just me - seem to be struggling with Survival atm also is H2 refilling still broken? I'm on like 10% and thinking may need to fill up soon (permanently got a bottle filled up waiting for it to fill)

10. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

Check your thrusters for damage. You may even try rebuilding them, see if that helps you get moving again.
    I've had a similar problem in creative but only with hydrogen thrusters. Every time one of them gets destroyed all other hydrogen thrusters just stop working. Never had it with the ion ones but who knows, it may be the same issue. I usually fix it by copying and pasting the ship and they work again. Unfortunately that's not an option for you in survival but still you could try building a new one and see if it works...
    Good luck!

11. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

So i tried to load my SE today and my computer just went to a black screen. My keyboard became completely unresponsive, couldn't Alt+Tab back to desktop, couldn't pull up the Task Manager, Nothing... here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

12. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

You can take a screen shot so I don't see the problem here. (Sarcasm Mode: Off) In all honesty though it's something on your end.

13. AdmiralTigerclaw Trainee Engineer

I would say that the behavior of people in general in regards to game developers is a bit on the rude side on a good day. The players have unprecedented ability to all but talk directly to the code teams on a daily basis like they were ordering fries at a fast food joint. However, just like said fast food joint, if their meal isn't out in two minutes and PERFECT, they pitch a fit. Never mind the product they demand perfection and speed in is a complicated wall of math and words that can numb the mind where you can see it, and invisible everywhere else. That's the sad truth. And it sucks the life out of me to see people make demands of software developers like they were ordering a burger with no lettuce, and got lettuce with a side-order of Punch-In-The-Face.

Though if you ask me, the 'Alpha' excuse is perfectly fine. Alpha means that they have not fully determined what the scope of the game is, and thus, a new feature may break playability all the way back to day one, and may do so for weeks on end. To be perfectly fair, people around here should be grateful that Keen works so hard to keep such a predictable and paced schedule. Heck, KEEN should be grateful they can KEEP their paced schedule. I have not encountered a software development studio that has been able to keep this kind of pace for the time I'm noting in steam's news backlog for space engies.

And as someone who's both coded from scratch, and assisted in debugging a full application (not a game, sadly), be glad a bug can be isolated, sorted out, and solved in less than a week. I've had to test release candidates where the guy fixed one critical thing because it caused a crash, only for the fix to result in two other surprise CTDs elsewhere. It's an endless, painful cycle of plug and chug. And the 'fun' part is always trying to isolate said crashes when the crash could be anything from a simple button click, to an EXACT sequence of steps to hit the line of code that caused it.

It's crazy.

14. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

Congratulations on being my first victim, i knew my joke would go over some peoples heads. The sad part is you even identified the clue that should have lead you to believe it was a joke. I said my keyboard wouldn't function, yet i was able to get a screenshot.
    The contradictions Muhahaha

This actually did happen, but ya i just restarted my comp and it was fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

I actually kinda suspected it was a trick since you could take a screenshot, but I've seen weirder things happen so you got me.

16. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Looks like the F5 squad got a new powerful enemy...
    "- Restricted Mode, a new internal feature which reduces forum functionality for a period of time to catch up with the amount of users the forum gets. (for example this will be enabled on patch day)"

17. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

Don't worry, when I was reading, it doesn't seem to reduce our firing speed, but you can't post more than once a minute.

18. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

Or you could just use the "watch thread" option and don't spam the server with new refresh or new comment every minute. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

Naah, gotta hold up the tradition man.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

Well I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...
    I'll just wait for a nice email when the update arrives. :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cirtex Trainee Engineer

Well Keen i think you done screwed up, with the new veiwmodels with the coveyors for large ships, someone screwed up and flipped the files, the view models for the widows appear when at distance, and dissapear when close.

22. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

You can't watch a thread that is yet to be created. You could watch the forum, but...no fun .D

23. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

You can watch a thread for new threads. So if you watch the thread "Change Log" for new threads, like I have done, when the next update comes and they create the corresponding thread for it (Update 01.107 - Something changed and stuff...) you will get notified by the desired method you have chosen when adding it to your watchlist (via notification in the forum or via email).
    To be honest I haven't tested it yet because I just found it today. But I will surely be relying on it the day after tomorrow. ;)

24. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

What you described, HAS happened to me. I did have some keyboard function, to which I three fingered it and managed to get the emergency screen. I tried firing up Task Manager, but this took 20 mins to resolve. When it did, the game display popped up too behind the TM, like nothing had interrupted it.

I have no idea what caused it. It did fix itself in a round about way, but still...

25. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

Ya it was strange to say the least, but I thought id create some humor from it. To be honest I think it brought about one of those times where you question your own sanity though. After I put up my post with a screenshot of a black screen (Super Helpful) I couldn't stop laughing by myself for a good minute.

26. Banj Trainee Engineer

I don't think so that kinda looked like one carved out with the voxel hands

27. ZebulonGiles Trainee Engineer

Someone said on the first page to nope the planet from orbit due to spiders.
    Like this?

Full power to weapons: FIRE!:
    like this?

Ooops, perhaps a little too much power?

Clips from a Bugs Bunny episode, and the other from Master Of Orion 2 when you use the Stellar Converter on a planet.

Seriously though, I am looking forward to planets when they are released, and all that they include with the planet release, whenever that is.
    Including figuring out the best way to protect our bases from Space Spiders. :)

edit: Just thought I'd post this as a bit of humor. :)

28. schneiderdriverp Trainee Engineer

OK, I'm a little confused about batteries... could someone help me out? If maxed stored power is 1.08 Megawatt hours, and max output is 4.32 Megawatts (small ship battery), what is the translation between the watts and the hours? and how long can I expect a battery to last at full output?

29. MontyTheGreat Trainee Engineer

That's a simple question. Hopefully, it has a simple answer:

A watt is a potence unit, that can be thought of as 1 Joule of energy, given for a 1 second time lapse. The Megawatts hours is a energy messure, used by the electricity companies, and is a multiple of Joule:

1 Megawatt * 1 Hour = 1e06 J/sec * 3600 sec = 3.6e09 J = 3.6 GJ.

So, a 1.08 Megawatt hour capacity are 3.888 GJ.

The Max output means it can deliver 4.32 MJ in one sec. Or it can give a little less for a long period of time.

So, for a full charged battery, running at max output you get: 3.888 GJ / 4.32 MJ/sec = 900 sec, that's 15 minutes aprox.
    Note is linear, if you use half that output, you get twice as much time before the same fully battery get depleted.

Hope I answered your question. :101:

• Informative Informative x 4
  30. schneiderdriverp Trainee Engineer

Thank you. The math is a little confusing but I get the basic idea. Full battery at max output will last for 15 minutes. Less output = more time proportionate to the decrease in output. I haven't checked the large batteries but are they also set up for a 15 minute discharge at max output?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.