Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.115 - Cyberhound, Fireflies

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dan2D3D Moderator

@joebopie

Hi joebopie, yes you are right and that's why I did not deleted any comments and no warning points were given. (for this time) ;)

Thanks for asking and keep in mind that this rules goes not just for you but for the others in this thread too.

This rules goes for all.

* Keep adding good comments by providing reasons why you like or don’t like something in the game and what can be done to make it better, not on other members.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. [mR]Danp1970 Trainee Engineer

You're right. It was a bit unneeded. But so was the insane amounts of backlash.

It seems this community has a notorious tendency to overlook simple solutions or informative posts.

I have posted that in 5 different threads on the steam forums, not a single person batted an eyelash at it. Instead they were screaming at the top of their lungs crying that life was unfair and keen was unfair and you know the usual cannon fodder style flaming that gets tossed about.

There are a few instances where I see people overlook important details such as:

Keen has stated that they won't fix anything in multiplayer right now because they're re-writing the netcode.
    Yet we still get the swarm of people screaming keen needs to get their priorities straight and fix MP when they just said they're re-writing the netcode and don't want to make any changes until it's complete
    (forgive me, I can't find the original post, but it is a true statement)

People have been screaming and crying about Cyberhounds nuking things when the solutions I posted prior easily solves the issue (temporarily)
    But alas, people would rather scream and cry at the top of their lungs than to try and be sensible about it.

I do agree, the explosives were unnecessary but so was the backlash. It's one thing to say you don't like something, it's another to flip a table kicking and screaming when there's options to fix these issues.

People also forget this game isn't even in alpha (or it's in REALLY early alpha, can't remember right off the top of my head). It's early access. Things are bound to break. That means your month long builds could vanish tomorrow anyway because keen decided to add flying space unicorns. The model's I've posted could break because keen could change character variables or modify the skeleton again. We're the testers, Murphy's law is a key aspect in games like these and people really need to keep that in mind and stop treating this game like it's in a complete state, because it's far from it.

Instead of screaming at keen and crying, we should be constructive and polite (with a bit of crudeness if necessary) when issues like these arise.

Think about it. Would you be more likely to listen to someone whose yelling at you at the top of their lungs, or would you be more likely to listen to someone whose politely telling you why they're upset? Chances are, unless you're a masochist for arguments here, you'd want someone to be polite about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shikashi18 Trainee Engineer

To a point I don't mind this and enjoy alittle extra challenge but I would like to ask. If we can have enemy Cyberdogs why can't we make allied cyberdogs? At least for those who usually mess around in single player?

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Schnitzel 2 Apprentice Engineer

waiting for tomorrow...maybe we can use our expensive servers then - when not, ciao SE, ciao Keen, Hello more space on the HDD

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Irish286 Apprentice Engineer

The backlash for this was completely appropriate. It was a bad idea and forcing players to effectively cheat to get around it isn't a good solution. No one was screaming or flipping tables. They were just voicing how stupid this update was. And believe me, it was ridiculously stupid. And hiding behind alpha isn't an excuse and I'm very tired of that defense. Yes its alpha, we get that. That doesn't mean we can't complain when promises aren't met and things go unaddressed for over a year. Being constructive nicety nice doesn't do anything but reinforce Keens bad habit of ignoring us and keeping us uninformed. Being civil and persistent in your complaints is the only way to get them to do what you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

This is what is known as a baseless accusation. Being ignored is a perception on your part. I can easily say that KSH has listened to every word I have written. I could even finagle "proof." Lack of a direct immediate response does not equate to something as disrespectful as ignoring. Keeping us "uninformed" is no doubt deliberate, as some folks that post here would react to any news that's not what they want to hear as, well, "proof" that Keen is ignoring us and keeping us uninformed. Some people are just not going to be pleased. Trying to please those that will not be pleased is a waste of time.

There is no benefit for Keen to constantly explain what they're doing and then spend more time defending their explanation. If you are not happy with the progress of the game you are way better off just not playing it. If you believe the game is headed in a direction you don't like you are better off just looking for another game. Keen's going to do what they're going to do the way they want to do it, and they have no obligation whatsoever to listen to each and every one of us or keep us informed. None. Yes, other developers do it. So what? Play their game then, because their game is better because they keep their fans informed. There, that's some sound logic for you.

Not defending Keen. Just calling BS.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Krougal Senior Engineer

Yeah, kinda missed that part when I agreed with him.
    I agree with everything but that statement.
    It was an update more appropriate for an April fools joke, except this was New Years day...and ain't nobody got time for bad jokes when you've got a terrible hangover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Irish286 Apprentice Engineer

Baseless? They ignore issues for months at a time then when enough people complain or it becomes big enough of an issue they say they'll fix it and then its another month or two until it's somewhat addressed. This isn't just a lack of immediate response, its a lack of response period. Keeping us uninformed does nothing but stress the community and drive people away.
    Yes there is a benefit to keeping people informed. It keeps them interested and gives them insight into the progress of the game. Keeping them in the dark gives people a bad impression of the developer and makes people shelve the game, most likely never to return. The people that shelved the game most likely won't ever buy another game from Keen and they will spread that bad reputation. If Keen wants to stay in business they ARE obliged to do what their customers want. You defending them by telling people to go play other games if they don't like keen keeping them in the dark isn't doing anything but giving them cover to continue their bad habits. Keen needs a dedicated community manager that keeps people informed. There's some sound logic for you.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Voyager_sput2015 Trainee Engineer

Communication is something every company (including the one I work in) struggles with.

What do you tell your customers to keep them informed but not create unrealistic expectations that cause dissapointement? Or scare them with the negative outlook on a problem or project when there's no need to do so until a few weeks further down the road, at which time the problem may have been resolved anyway... If it hasn't they'll complain about not having been informed properly, but in 9 out of 10 cases it is resolved and the customer is none the wiser of something they didn't have to worry about. in hindsight.

I'm not saying KSH does or does not have to communicate better, every company chooses what and how much to communicate. We have the blog, forum posts (news), some snippits from the change video's and the live stream giving us insights in the plans of KSH. Not like we're not getting anything at all.

And about having to listen or go out of business argument... well, that's not entirely true. KSH had a idea about making a game, called it space engineers and released it as early access (upon request by a good many people) and a ton of people have bought it, deciding to go along for the ride. KSH is not making a game because we ask for it, or mold it exactly the way we want, but the way they see fit and how fits in there business plans and philosophy. We, as customers have all the right not be happy with the way the game develops, but that's the case of anything in this world. I remember being a big fan of a certain phone brand, only to switch over to another one for our customers 5 years later because we didn't like they way the product development was going.

And let's be honest, it's not like we're being ignored, we got Conveyor systems, Oxygen and Planets... all things they didnt want at first but implemented because of request from the community.

A little more on topic though, i'm the first to say i'm not a big fan of the cyberhounds and i'll keep them off for the time being. Love the fireflies though and as always, look forward to the next update of the week :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

??? My server doesn't shake at all. I just have the creeping bug when you're in proxy to a ship...that you shift slowly...I left a small ship on its backside for hours, came back, It never moved a single centimeter.
    I can leave my wheeled tunnel digger attached and it doesn't shake....I can crash into a ship at 200m/s both ways at each other, and the sim speed never drops in space. Running on an i5 661 3.3 with 2 cores and 3.5GB through a VM. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jan5366 Trainee Engineer

we run a 10-16 Slot server with no problems on a cheep cloud service (G-Portal) .. with no problems .. what you talking about mate ?! -.-

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bloody_Kain Apprentice Engineer

Hey Keen Devs.
    For the next Update: PLEEEAAAASSEEEEE put a Chainsaw for that nasty Trees in!
    One for the Hand and one for bigger Mashines.
    No matter what Cyber Greenpeace says. ;-)
    Oh, and disarm that creeper cyberdogs.
    It's no Fun if all the hard work around the player blows up because of some creepers and I havn't seen any serious server who use them.

So please: No more JOKE Updates and put some useful in them again! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. extraammo Senior Engineer

I had no problem playing Mirror's Edge and there was no guy avatar. Maybe your daughters need to be less gender focused? Especially since the avatar changes nothing about the gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. extraammo Senior Engineer

If you play on a construction site, you are bound to get hurt.

Player: "Why did you put this wall up, keen!?!?! You are taking away my creativity!!"
    Keen : "We are defining this room... if there is something you would like to say about how we can make this wall better that would be appreciated."
    Player: "DO YOU READ THE FORUMS AT ALL THIS WALL WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA KEEN IS THE WORST!!!!"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Irish286 Apprentice Engineer

You failed to mention the wall keen placed was knee high and in the middle of another room already defined. And their original goal of the wall was to add an accented floor design, not an annoying wall.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. extraammo Senior Engineer

Congratulations! You are the "Player" in the analogy. Rather than giving useful feedback you are accusatory and discontent.

Keen is making a game. It's not done and fighting every new feature doesn't help them make a better game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Tyrax Lightning Trainee Engineer

Yeah, i'm sure it was SO hard to be a guy playing a game that let ya run around as & gawk at a hot lady the whole time. On the other hand how are those daughters supposed to enjoy running around as a guy that looks SO boring & no fun to gawk at as a gal plays? :p

For the Topic: The Devs might wanna spare a bit of time & resources repairing the damage to their Rep they blew up with their own bomb dogs. :tu:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. megapro Trainee Engineer

It was delayed because of the huge comunity demand for planets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Kira Apprentice Engineer

I think the bigger issue here is that dedicated servers aren't able to exist because of shitty netcode. I hade to close my server down already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kira Apprentice Engineer

Do you think NASA style space suits are form fitting? Gosh. Dye your suit pink and keep your helmet on. Problem solved >_>

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  21. Kira Apprentice Engineer

Yeah the realism argument against lasers and shields really can't be used anymore now that we have exploding cyborg dogs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, there is definitely a rash of new or resurfacing bugs that is making multiplayer a nightmare. You can't weld a projection and have someone else on the server doing some mining without freezing everyone and the server, requiring force quits all the way around.

I think I'd rather have uncontrollable exploding dogs to rebooting the server every time one person wants to weld and the other mine. At least I can shoot the dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. extraammo Senior Engineer

Mirror's Edge is a first-person game...

Edit: It can also be noted that the main character for Mirror's edge wasn't the stereotypical big-boobed, barely dressed girl.

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. Virtualmagic73 Apprentice Engineer

You can call a dog an hide... ;)

25. extraammo Senior Engineer

Except that exploding robot dogs are certainly possible...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. OneGamingLane Trainee Engineer

Due to this update I tried playing on the Mars-like planet (is it really Mars?), and I was upset. Without a certain human byproduct and the ability to grow plants I felt my Mars-like experience was lacking.

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. Virtualmagic73 Apprentice Engineer

Lasers are possible too...

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. KG1 Trainee Engineer

I think it depends on what area of sci-fi we're talking about - lasers and shields are in every other space game that I can personally think of, but in Space Engineers you have to engineer a well layed out ship with proper armor, because it's based on what's feasible in the near future (give or take). So having armor for me personally makes the game unique and less of a "Star Trek/Star Wars" experience. The robotic dogs, on the other hand; I have no idea where they came up with that idea within the context of this game. There's an option to turn them off, though. I'd say they're sort of feasible in the future (we already have self driving cars), but they're a little less believable - then again, so are the spiders. I'd say take every feature with a pinch of salt and see what improvements and refinements they come up with next - you may be surprised. If not, there's always mods.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. KG1 Trainee Engineer

If the game had those features, would it not then become "Space Engineering Simulator 2016"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. [mR]Danp1970 Trainee Engineer

When I first saw cyber dogs, I thought they were being manufactured by the pirate bases around the planet and deployed alongside drones to ward off attackers and allow the pirates to loot your base.

It'd be cool if after we hack into the pirate bases, we can control cyber dog productions and make friendly cyber dogs to be used in assaults against other pirate bases and to also ward off other cyber dogs. Since pirate bases have an insane amount of loot (if you hack into them), the resources could be put to use on making cyber dogs and security systems that deploy them.

I think that Wolves should replace cyber dogs, using the mod on the workshop, but hostile cyber dogs are only created by pirates and pirate bases with drones, and hacking into a pirate base and taking over it's production allows you to produce your own cyber dogs for your own various purposes.

Just my two cents though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.