Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.132 - New Ship Sounds, Minor HUD Tweaks

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. crazyrobban Apprentice Engineer

Resolution, not quality.

2. Anubis 2 Trainee Engineer

got to wonder whats going on with that staticy hissing sound, been having that for a while now AND REALLY hoping that its not a "feature" as the sound is ear rape after awhile

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

Hooooooray! I like the pirates but I'll be glad to see them less frequently!

4. Kas Trainee Engineer

Give people the ropes and winches! Already furious that there is no secure possibility to move a piece of armor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks. ok. fffft

6. sepen_ Trainee Engineer

Question: What's the thinking behind having the sounds base on velocity and not thrust?
    That seems counterintuitive in space, and aurally misleading.

General sound overhauls appears to be a welcome addition! Good work, guys. :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

While i agree that it's an unneeded addition at this point... the sound-guy isn't the one fixing any of those issues. He's the sound guy. He does sound.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

I think the new sounds are cool! And the atmosphere thrusters are loud yeah, but think of propellers in real life. Or the thrusters of jumbo jets or regular fighter jets... They are LOUD. I like the sounds.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. tharkus Junior Engineer

The new sounds are really cool.
    Good job KSH :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Silentfighter89 Trainee Engineer

@Thomash(hope the name is right) Love the new sound and sound system.:woot: Sounds awesome(Pun intended)but I wonder why the car sounds like it has an gasoline engine. I would expect the wheels use electric Motors and would sound more like those electric Formula one cars. Or an electric toothbrush.:p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. posthy Apprentice Engineer

Nice sounds but probably will need some time to get used to them. The large ship trumpets like a big tripod from war of worlds :)
    And no sound in space in external view? How dare you? :D
    Cool improvements on the hud markers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

Good update. Like the new sounds. Especially in the big ship when he rolled, and it made that deep bass sound (i think it was the large atmosphereic thrusters?), I had my main speakers on and it shook the room:woot:. The new sounds are awesome:).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

Hi,

we actually tried to have it tied to thrust originally. However the result was not very good - overall feeling was bad. Main problem was that thusters were either inactive or running on 100% - because of that it was really hard to produce some decent sound. Basing it on speed is more arcadey but I think end result is better. :)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. kr105 Trainee Engineer

@keen are you going to update the github code too?

15. noname42 Trainee Engineer

finally helicopters in SE

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. lostjounin Trainee Engineer

Very nice! Sounds definitely need improvements and this is a step in the right direction. However, while I love the wheeled vehicle and large ship sounds, I'm with Rotal on the small ship with atmospheric thruster's being quite awful to listen to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Richard1102 Trainee Engineer

I seem to have an overpowering sound when going third person with a small ship with atmospheric engines. It is blow my ear out loud.....

18. sepen_ Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the explanation! I will try to sample these new things as unbiased as I can. :D I hope, I will still remember to use my breaking thrusters!

19. Pie Apprentice Engineer

First off - liking the new sounds a lot!

Now before I go make a video - has anyone tried descending in a small atmospheric ship in gravity, with dampeners on, with no downwards thrusters? I can't seem to descend - graphically the downwards thrusters power down but 'c' doesn't cause the ship to descend. Only turning off the engines completely will cause the ship to go down which causes... issues... when trying a controlled landing! DS only - same world in SP is fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

Thanks,
    large ship sound are my favourite :). Sound artists done great job with them. When you speed up large ship to the max speed you can hear very long sound loop that represents overall sound of large ship - various deep hums, machinery, metal creak and more.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Sounds were buggy and this is fixing it (part of it at least I assume). For example I can't hear drill sound from 50m but when I am a little bit closer its sounds become terribly high.

Edit: Drill sounds are not fixed!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. SpectreG4 Trainee Engineer

Still no dedicated server support/updates...... Lovely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. The Linking Tinker Trainee Engineer

I love sound updates. Sound is incredibly important to the atmosphere of a game. It sounds fine in 3ed person but that being said, what the heck is going on inside that cockpit? why do the thrusters sound like they have valve clatter? Are they diesel thrusters? are they helicopter blades? what the heck is going on? I would not trust my life to engines that sounded like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

Hi,

we still work on this feature. One thing that is not finished is volume balance for these sounds. We will look into those atmospheric sounds once more and check their volume (and lower it if necessary).
    Also several sounds will be replaced soon so you can probably expect some changes for next week patch.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

Not taking any party, being objective and make myself the devil's advocate, I will ask one question: Have you read the warning on Steam Store page for Space engineers?

"If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development."

It says it all. So why the commotion? Space Engineers has been too long in development? Well, think about this: Diablo 3 development started in 2001, development was made public in 2008, and was released in 2012. This is just an example. I dear wished that Blizzard allowed me to play the game for 4 years before its release, that would have been better than to wait 4 years from 2008 until 2012 with impatience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. Wolfee Trainee Engineer

Please add a customizable crosshair! The current one is too big and distracting for me.

27. Manticore Apprentice Engineer

Not first. Don't care.

Thanks KSH.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

Hi,

we are working on this issue. Problem is that we check every 100 frames (performance reasons) for new sounds to play and if you move too fast to the drill it will start to play at high volume. We have some solution for this but it will not be this week.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  29. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

I can hear a bird singing, but i cant hear 6 jet engines in 50 meters. :p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Drill On/Off sounds are too loud as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.