Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.132 - New Ship Sounds, Minor HUD Tweaks

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. devu Trainee Engineer

Thanks Drakon for quick response.

I'm not necessary linking new sound system to the performance drop. It just happened at the same time. It could be related or can be something else we are not aware of. Fact is, it's a biggest drop I have ever seen from over a year observation.
    Something went terribly wrong. Some people reporting different behavior. Sim speed 1.0 but every few sec there is a 1 sec pause. In my case (or because it's a empty world the load is spread evenly, so it shows actual sim speed performance).

That's why it got me thinking about possibility of making new additions optional so we can have easy way to tell what part of the system is affected. It could help both sides really.

Don't get me wrong, I love new sound system. And the fact you guys keep it true sandbox game (despite 99% of community here don't even understand what sandbox game is about and constantly asking you for adding crazy stuff into vanilla)
    Modding support is the best I have ever seen and for now it's the only thing that keeps my hopes high for this game. You should focus on those possibilities. I remember you have introduced a reward for total conversion based on source code. I believe with even greater modding API that would be achievable without altering source code at all.

P.S.

I did a bit more digging into performance issues. And I think I narrowed down the issue.
    My world kind of empty.. well I was using it for testing cars. I had about 10 small cars and lots of wheels laying around as a result of crash tests. In total there was about 40 wheels counting them individually. And you mentioned your new sound system is checking each grid against types of blocks it has in order to determine what sounds it should play. I am pretty sure this is it.

My tests were about checking new type of suspension when suspension itself spawns Wheel Hub instead just Wheel. Then Wheels of different diameters were attached to Wheel Hub. That worked incredibly well. I suppose even if you discounted a single wheels laying around in my case there is a Wheel attached to Real Wheel (or Wheel Hub in this case) a 2 block grid. It tells me that it has something to do with the sound system trying to work out if those 40-50 grids has a wheels even if this is just determine what should do next.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. noname42 Trainee Engineer

Not sure if this has been asked already but would it be possible for cars to check if they don't touch the ground and play a different sound then? So you actually know if your car is in midair.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ac!D Trainee Engineer

NINJA HOTFIX ALERT!!! :D ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. IronWarrior Trainee Engineer

Hmm, please answer me, can you, developers, improve FPS when are using blueprints? Well, when i try to place a ship from blueprint, an if this ship/station is too big, FPS freezing, became 0-1.

5. jockomo Trainee Engineer

Yea I get this. But what I don't understand is how there is not a single note addressing player and ship movement when THAT is supposed to be the focus. Not even a mention that they're still working on it.
    Is it too much to ask that the put a note in that says, "The major focus is still optimizing the netcode and multiplayer, while there are no notes on these features rest assured we are working hard on it."?

6. Echillion Senior Engineer

Some hotfix notes would be appreciated :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

seems like they begin to "forgot" it again

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wayne Barraclough Trainee Engineer

Sure.
    First are some screenshots of my settings including one of my hallway lights. The lights are orange and used to cast a nice orange glow throughout the whole area. Now there are just orange highlights on the otherwise grey background. Very dull and flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a sample video. The first part illustrates the real problem best. I don't think the problem is with the lights. I believe the problem is the ambient lighting in the overall "world". Everything is washed out. No lights are needed to see, even in an enclosed box with no lights. You can see perfectly fine in a room that should be pitch black. In the second part of the vid you might think it doesn't look bad but there are no dark shadows. It is impossible to get any dark areas. Changing light settings just changes the overall look of the light and not the surrounding objects. Like I said, the ambient light in the world is just cranked WAY up.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Barrio575 Apprentice Engineer

The ambient light is a shame it is all messed, it has really bothered me. Talking about the whole atmosphere of the game with sounds is good, the lighting is also a part of that atmosphere. Kind of surprised, seems like they weren't aware of it, yet its clearly an eyesore.
    Glowing bases out in the darkness and glowing interiors is what it is, like the blocks themselves catch the ambience and the planet voxels ignore them. Not to mention glowing trees.

I do love being able to tell how fast I am going now with my hud off, I can just listen to the sounds. A welcome addition.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  10. Tonkah Trainee Engineer

Sound improvements are underrated. I never noticed that there weren't sounds for things like a ship idling with power on. Super nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. devu Trainee Engineer

I will go on wheels.

OK Fresh world modded suspensions 10 cars 4 wheel each. As simple as possible.
    [​IMG]
    It can drop occasionally to 0.95 every sec or 2.

Add 10 more...

[​IMG]

I wanted to make a vanilla test however running out of luck.

Started fresh vanilla world on Single Player, landed on planet in Lander. Game crashed when decompression happened. (Brings me back to the multiple oxygen level entries?)
    Second time when landed was able to get out but crashed when trying to place station block.
    Third time during a flight.

Guys this is serious... hands down

12. dylangreen162 Trainee Engineer

Hey i was wondering if anyone else notice this but when it autosaves (on dedicated server haven't tried single player/multiplayer) the game/server throws you back to the position of which you were standing when it started auto saves. It normally can cause you to die going fast speeds or you ship to explode or pistons to mess up. It's really frustrating and i don't want to turn off autosave. Could the devs look into this possibly? Or tell me how to fix it if it's apparently something wrong with my server? and it happens with anyone not just me. Also my computer runs the server fine always above 90 server sim speed usually on 1.0 and i do restarts frequently to prevent lag.
    Thanks for any feedback, Dylan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. kr105 Trainee Engineer

The hotfix did not fix the projector issue :(

14. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Update 011
    - fixed crash in network logic
    - fixed crash when destroying pistons
    - fixed crash when breaking rotors
    - fixed crash in audio
    - fixed crash when joining MP
    - fixed build mode info showing in without build mode being turned on
    - fixed cyberdogs eating characters backpack
    - fixed ship able to jump inside of planet
    - fixed typo in cubeblocks.sbc
    - added DateTimeOffset to API whitelist
    - updated bug report link, so now it leads directly to official Keen forum

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. Distman Trainee Engineer

Great work on the sound!

16. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I wish the atmospheric thrusters sounded more like your traditional jet engine...I'll look for the mod.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Areckahn Trainee Engineer

Am I the only one who thought this a feature, and a REALLY useful one at that?
    Gutted to see it removed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

atmos thruster hear like u have a hole in a pressured gas pipe ^^

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

Oh my god, this is what I have been saying for almost 6 months now. I can give screenshots if you want to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Pez Apprentice Engineer

They have more then one employee you know. They can work on multiple priorities at once. Really though they don't just pick new priorities every week. I can guarantee you the sound guy was developing in game sounds for a few weeks before they were added in game. All were seeing every week generally are the things that can be done quickly. Major changes or upgrades to the engine are being worked on. They just won't give us a status update because otherwise as a community we'd put to much pressure on the company to make progress over meaningful implementation and programming. If stabilizing the game was easy or quick then it would have been presented already. They haven't presented a lot of large features since planets that alter the game code in a large way. I can almost bet the multiplayer is going to be the next huge update.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jandraelune Apprentice Engineer

Yep, lighting in Dx9 was far far better, all forms of lighting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Houkime Trainee Engineer

Feeling strange about this update.
    The opinion that cacophony maybe too loud and unpleasing is certainly true.
    But we're engineers and this is a real engineering and design problem that actually exists.
    It's about how to design a ship with many refineries and so on in such a way that noise isn't a big problem, for example, in crew sleeping quarters.

I personally would prefer if there was real sound physics that you can learn and use to make the ship sound as you want it to.
    I really hope that realistic sound mode will have this covered.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  24. Shabazza Junior Engineer

I generally love the new sound system. It really adds to the immersion.
    But the atmospheric thrusters sound a little bit too "helicopter-ish".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. rsog Trainee Engineer

One very jarring thing with the sound being based on speed: With atmospheric craft, I rarely have upward-pointing engines, so when I want to lose altitude, I have no engines firing, but since engine sounds now vary with speed, I get helicoptor noises while in free-fall.

Apart from that, great update!

26. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

it does it just looking around in a simple cave, or deep in space with just asteroids; example of sim drop:

[​IMG]

i hope for a ninja fix.. mining voxels aren't working well either, they don't remove, or they come back or they vanish for no reason(even light comes threw).... then their is the camera shacking nonsense when you go back to first person... so many new issues... (edit, and the sounds playing too many at once for drills for example and making it Way loud...)

27. SirWest_92 Trainee Engineer

28. DustinMVille Trainee Engineer

Bug report.
    I have a issue with HUD markers they are a bit too big for my screen size.
    I think what is happening is that the HUD markers text scale is not changing with the window size and resolution.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=675549824
    Also, I am finding that the HUD Markers overlap sometimes.

29. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Thank you, I will look into it. Your resolution is 1280x720?

30. devu Trainee Engineer

I have narrowed down the Wheel / Suspension issue.

It turned out performance drop happening on fresh world with Scenario Edit mode.
    And I was unlucky to experience all that. Making fresh world in Creative, then switching to survival helped. Anyway this is what I saw in all modes before latest update.

[​IMG]

I have a question to Drakon.

If we modding suspensions/wheels do we have to do something special to include new sound system? Does it work in connection to Cockpit as well?
    My modded stuff doesn't seems to be working with new sound. But I also have open cockpit (modded passenger seat) Vanilla stuff does work well.
    I need to dive into the modding part of it yet.

I know people arguing about car sounds to be more electric car like. But I do have diesel/gasoline power in my mods so there is definitely a use for those sounds in my case :). Trying to reuse as much existing content as possible to keep it lightweight.
    Even if you planing to change such assets, please keep the sound files for modders to reuse ;). It's a great help. Dragging extra textures and sound files for each mod is the biggest problem for mods. relying on your assets I was able to make total game conversion with 5MB mod. Just models and definitions.

Cheers!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.