Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.134 - Animation & Testing Modding Tool

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

no im not, im not even in the 9 that agrees. I wasn't consulted, don't put words in my mouth.
    --- Automerge ---
    16 refineries? you got to load up the advanced refinery mod.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Harrekin Master Engineer

Ronin is absolutely correct, a gyroscope just detects orientation...This information can be used for gimbals and you could feed it to motors to balance a turret or to rotate a ship, but that's not the gyroscope part.

Google MCU6050... I know what Im talking about.

Armchair academics...
    --- Automerge ---
    @BlackUmbrellas, if you're just going to click disagree without presenting evidence to the contrary, then just leave the discussion.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  3. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

From the manufacturers of the ISS CMGs:

http://www2.l-3com.com/spacenav/pdf/datasheets/CMG.pdf

Now, the difference between a CMG and a reaction wheel is pretty simple:
    Reaction wheels are mounted on one axis, and are spun up or down to provide change in angular momentum.
    CMGs contain a flywheel spinning at constant velocity mounted in a gimbal system; on the ISS they have a two-axis mount, but I suspect SE gyroscopes have a three or four axis mount. In a CMG the flywheel is redirected by motors in the gimbal mounting, which causes a change in angular momentum.
    Where sensor gyroscopes take advantage of gyroscopic effects to have a stable reference point, CMGs use the same effects to produce change in angular momentum by exchanging it with the gyroscope.

CMGs tend to be heavier and more prone to mechanical failure than reaction wheels, but produce far more change in momentum for a given amount of power input. If I recall correctly they also have less limitations in terms of changing rotation compared to reaction wheels.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I'm not obligated to tell you why I disagree with your post.

(It's because you don't actually know what you're talking about but have the gall to call others "armchair academics", though.)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Okay, I'll bite,
    My profession is engineering, I am a Mechanical Engineer, so I would hardly call my knowledge 'Armchair academics'.
    I have worked with and on Gyroscopes in the form of inertia wheels for real-world industrial applications, in applications that quite have possibly saved your life if you have ever been to the fairground, rode a roller coaster, or been in a car with heavy lorries passing by. (feel free to ask how :) )
    Also your link fails to bring up anything apart from an arduino-circuit based project extracting directional data from a gyroscope, which does in no way actually provides any evidence against what I've said.
    Should my convincing fail, then I highly suggest you google in your own time 'inertial wheel' or google examples of skaters using the concept to accelerate their motion.

Gyroscopes in the game are inertia-wheels, I will quote my post again should you kindly take the time to read it:

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

dont lay words inothers mouths... Or better said commandeer what others do.

7. Harrekin Master Engineer

And a reaction wheel is what exactly?

Motor/s controlled by a gyroscope...

:p

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  8. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

If you want to go into specifics, the act of mounting an inertia wheel on gimbals turns it into a 'gyroscope' effectively turning it into a 'Control Moment Gyroscope', take a look at the link REDSHIELD posted above.
    I had always imagined the in-game gyroscopes to be advanced multi-axial reaction wheel arrays myself given the whirring noise they make, however given some thought a CMG seems like the more likely possibility.

Point is, in either case gyroscopes, gyroscopic effects and inertial based systems can all be used for directing and orientating a ship and given the 'looseness' of space engineers terminology would all be safe coming under the classification of 'gyroscope' given the similarity in operating principals.
    Regardless of the depth of it, they all fall under the same category, all inertial-momentum based motion control systems, and contrary to Ronins original post, the in-game gyroscope would not require 'magic' to turn a ship, as 'gyroscopes' in both a loose and precise context can both be used to change a ships orientation.

Also worth mentioning that a reaction wheel is not an inertia wheel, although the two are often mistakenly used interchangeably. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. sankti Trainee Engineer

enjoying new patch with insta crash about not enough memory, can someone upload older version PLEASE ?

#edit
    tried everything still crashing, thank you for broken patch

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Harrekin Master Engineer

Ahh ok, I didn't actually see the "magic" comment, I was referring more to the "its a sensor part".

11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

MAN this thread's so charged reading it feels like being stuck in Warrior Charge-Lag.

Define "everything".
    Have you disabled mods and checked?
    Have you tried to open up another World and rechecked?
    What's your Specs?

12. Shabazza Junior Engineer

Nice jump drive effect.
    I'd love to also have the sound effect updated to pack more punch in the moment of the jump.
    Kind of like I already suggested here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. legendkiller165 Trainee Engineer

Interesting update

14. Harrekin Master Engineer

Im holding out for the realistic sounds, I'm sure it'll all be finalised and made "sexier" after that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Pie Apprentice Engineer

There are reports on the Bug Reports forum of the new nVidia driver (released yesterday so we can't really expect them to test against it) causing these crashes. Unless you really need the Doom 'Game Ready' driver I suggest trying a downgrade to the last release.
    Having said that I'm an nVidia user, have upgraded as I tend to whenever GeForce Experience bugs me - yet haven't had a problem so I can't guarantee this is the issue you're having.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. texix Trainee Engineer

I confirm I crash my GTX 770 driver crashes, since two weeks I think

17. JamesG Trainee Engineer

This update seems to have broken the Space Master mode (Alt-F10). I'm unable to open it in any world.
    --- Automerge ---
    It may also be worth mentioning that gyroscopes could serve to make the use of a thruster behave as if its axis passed through the center of gravity of a ship even when it does not. Would require some pretty energetic gyros, but nonetheless it is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. megapro Trainee Engineer

warping or bending space and creating a wormhole is the same idea. in both cases you don't actually move the ship since moving faster than light is by the laws of physics not possible. So as I said jumpdrive = warpdrive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Runner Trainee Engineer

"Captain, we've spotted a multicolored ship in the distance!"

"What is it doing!?"

"It's, It's.... my god...."

"TELL ME CREWMAN" *shakes crewmember*

"It's charging it's Rainbow Drive..."

*Rainbow beauty intensifies*
    ---
    After two years of stalking the update thread, I finally made an account just to do this. I'm so productive!

*Frolicks back to his overpopulated shipyards*

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Oh, you'll be back. You'll be back. Welcome to the her....er, the fleet, Engineer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. The Runner Trainee Engineer

But I was already welcomed into the her..... fleet, yeah! Thank you!

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Devon_v Senior Engineer

The difference has to do with the intervening space. If there were a black hole between you and your destination the Jump Drive would still just teleport you from A to B ignoring it completely. The Warp Drive would have to go around it because despite not technically moving, you are still being carried along by the space warp, and the singularity's own gravity well can effect you just as well. Gravity wells tend to be issues even in Hyperspace engines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

I'm afraid I can't join the f5ght today, folks; way too many college assignments in for next week.
    Avenge me once again, fellow engineers! :((

• Like Like x 1
  24. Echillion Senior Engineer

I wonder what we'll get this week? perhaps more news on those flashy pistols the devs teased us with a while ago?

25. welkar926 Apprentice Engineer

Affirmative. All F5ighters, this is Commander Welkar926 filling in for Commander Auhrii. Report to your posts and prepare for the F5 assault.

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

OK Keen make my day! I have an F5 Key and I’m not afraid to use it! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

I just logged in to give a +funny :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  28. welkar926 Apprentice Engineer

We need reinforcements! The first F5 squadron is losing ground to the silence!

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

Quick get the Doctor! ;)

30. thatguywithahammer Apprentice Engineer

Is 16 refineries a lot?

Now I'm curious. How many refineries do people generally use?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.