Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.137 - GPU Particles & Projectile Impact Decals

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Xocliw, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Can't give you enough agrees on this, man. I want homeworld thruster trails!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Red Corsair Trainee Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Martinowitsch Trainee Engineer

Fire in Space? Wtf? Since when could flames work in airless space?
    Also these Sparks, when in Space they shouldn't fall down!

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Late Late x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mosseman Apprentice Engineer

Nooooo! That was a handy trick to do some initial scouting on a new map.

5. Wayne Barraclough Trainee Engineer

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the Jump Drive particle effect?
    I like the idea, but the actual effect just doesn't make sense to me. It also seems a bit over the top. I would rather see a much more subtle effect.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Hyperion Trainee Engineer

Have you noticed how brighter they are after this update? I think there was something done to them aswell. If you mean adding particles to them then I agree with you as I would definitely love to see some smoke trails behind the hydrogen thrusters, especially in the atmosphere

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

Yeah the jump drive effect isnt working properly for me

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I care about the whole game, that's the way to go. And some eye-candy every once in a while (because the game isn't the most graphically astounding thing ever unless you are on a planet's surface, since the blocks are mostly temp assets) feels really good to have. Just as welcome as it was that at one point they added scenarios. I don't care for scenarios, but it builds upon the whole game, which is always nice.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. gijonlir Trainee Engineer

This is a really nice update, keen up the good work!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

"Game-breaking" is a relative term. To me it means you can't play. That has only been true for me that time last week with the Havok expiring thing. I couldn't play when that happened. They fixed that so, no game-breaking bugs for me. I guess I can accept the rest because the game is unfinished.

You don't seem to be able to do that. I don't know what to tell you. I think Keen should start every new change log post with the following:

We didn't fix everything. Here's what we did fix.
    You still won't get it, but everyone else should.

Actually, almost everyone else does.

• Agree Agree x 14
  11. noname42 Trainee Engineer

have you seen the actual jump effect? Because the one shown in the trailer is actually very different from the one ingame

12. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

Only issue i'm having is that thruster glow seems to disapear at about 40 meters, this feels very very short to me

Anybody else seeing the same or just me?

EDIT

I've noted how the particle effects for damaged thrusters are displaying at much longer distance than thruster glow, so at least that is working, Looks great too! I just hope the thruster glows get fixed as its odd looking at thrusters that appear to be off actually power a ship

Also, I noticed a marked improvement in sound effects so for the most part a good update, little tweaking needed though

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I wonder if it can be modded?

14. Wayne Barraclough Trainee Engineer

Actually, no, I hadn't seen the new effect. It is a definite improvement. Still not sure I like it yet, but it is better for sure.

15. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

So it appears as though the jump drive effect is not properly functioning after reloading game and maps. Additionally the decals are extremlely jumpy and jittery when the player is moving. The hand rifle has a fire animation which lasts a second or two too long. You can no longer shoot warheads to blow them up, because decals riddle the outside of it. I'm not pointing any fingers, but somethings not right with today's update :) Perhaps tomorrow will be a small hotfix

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. shughes55 Trainee Engineer

thees are nice up dates but my Wheels are still being shot off by my own turret 's. Can We pleas get a Fix for this so i can get back to playing the Dam game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Tobyz28 Apprentice Engineer

Knowing i'll sound like a grumpy old man - I remember saying that not long before they decided to announce medieval engineers. In hindsight I think I'd be happier if Keen never started on ME, didn't introduce planets, focused on JUST the netcode / Polishing the current game (maybe released a few of the new blocks like they did) and have a polished MP Capable game released.
    -Just imagine how much fun this game could be with working MP servers!

Or to put it in a "customer" perspective: I would pay good money for SE2 with planets after they put out a polished SE1.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

About the guys who says that those particle effects are dumb and that they should focus on fixing the game's performance,...they just did!

The new particles are made by the GPu not the CPU, wich will help reduce the performance issue, while still having particles effects in game.

For those not happy with flames in space, think of it as a Gas leak from the Ion thrusters and move on...

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

Well now after the update, I get an application error on startup. :/
    --- Automerge ---
    And I don't understand at all, so the new warp effects they've been teasing for weeks don't work for larger ships? Were they planning on "surprising" us, or did they just never get around to actuallly testing this thing in the last month? Like how the heck does a game developer team release a particle feature that doesn't work for half the game, and not even mention anything about that fact? It's such a small problem, but still, how the heck did this happen Keen?

21. KissSh0t Master Engineer

When locking a small ship onto a large ship via landing gear, the thruster flame on the small ship disconnects from the thruster nozzle and then makes noise like the thrusters are working.

Cargo Door STILL making noise when idle open and closed....

The players middle suit thruster does not light up when going backwards................................... still.

I like the new bullet decals, but they are moving around.

I really like the particle effects on the hand held drill and wielder, i like how they seem to bounce off objects... it would be nice if each particle gave off light and were brighter.

The gun is showing casings ejecting from the side now "was it before?" I don't remember it if it did..... it would be nice if those casings were physical objects that were ejected from the weapon and then effected by gravity and objects including players body, for performance reasons of course making them disappear after a short while with the option to select how long, similar to sabiroid / cyberhound / players dead body despawn timer, perhaps tie them all together and have a setting we can choose for how long these objects can stay in the game world before despawning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I would think that they would have a duration limit of some kind or a maximum number of decals per game. Seeing scorch marks on your targets really heightens things up a bit. What really gets me going is that they are starting to offload more and more to the GPU (where it belongs) rather than CPU based rendering. This means more overhead for game calculations and processing.
    --- Automerge ---
    That's because your ships need to go on a diet. Jump effects aren't made for massive ships... they just jump up into time-space and get stuck. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  23. Captaindan Apprentice Engineer

AMAZING UPDATE GUYS!!! The new Particles and impact decals and also the new Sound System will jump SE into a new Game.

I was really waiting for this impact decals!! NICE!!! :) Now ships look much more damaged! <3

24. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I assume that if that were to happen, the ships would shit bricks? :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. capnbeef Trainee Engineer

hey guys i need help. my game wont start after i downloaded the latest update. application error, and i have sent a log. but i do not know how long it will take to fix this. i have been able to download every update before this latest one. i hope someone can help me as soon as possible

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Ranger Trainee Engineer

Can confirm that the airtight hanger doors still make noise after close.

27. Motor Trainee Engineer

I also just get application error trying to run Space Engineers after this update. Splash screen - then wham! application crash. (pre update the game was running fine)

Tried clearing out 'SpaceEngineers\Content\Data' and then let Steam 'Verify local game cache' and redownload it all. Had no effect, same error/application crash.

:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. anders w Apprentice Engineer

Just remember the salt peeps! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Echillion Senior Engineer

And throw it over your left shoulder for goodluck :p

I wish the devs had added a tinge of blue to the jump effect and now ion thrusters look almost white!
    Btw oxygen/acetylene welders which our handwelder resembles have a strong blue flame when on and a orange flame when only burning oxygen not the current white one! Nice work though! please give the conveyor system some love and get rid of those blasted scratched windows! now it makes sense to shoot them to make them look better!

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

edit it so that al the devs with fancy moves are in

• Agree Agree x 5
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.