Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.138 - Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Phyrino Trainee Engineer

i have been away from this game for a couple of months and was now hoping to start playing again. but it is still unplayable. whenever someone welds the server simulation speed is cut in half. dedicated servers still not playable.

2. michaelt359 Trainee Engineer

PETITION for Large Gas Planets and liquid water on planets along with a planet rotation option instead of sun rotation in settings. Also, please fix the connector glitch as it won't let me connect connectors at points and it is a huge turnoff as I can't refuel or get more material.

Also, for water, there should be a pump block you can use to extract water for hydrogen and oxygen.

Thank you for reading.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Not sure if being ironic or not....
    Making planets turn would change them into non-static objects, aka all static and beautifully stable station blocks connected to the planet would now be counted as large ships that are half stuck in the ground.
    Starting to see the problem?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

only problem i see with non-static planets is waking up one day in my orbital station's cryopod and seeing that planet is gone cause it flew away under a force applied to it by some random crashed ship :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Vivicector Apprentice Engineer

As far as current physics engine goes, we won't see moving planets and liquid water in the game. While water can use some very simple and primitive aproximation, planets are no-go. Its simply impossible due to how voxels and other objects are treated in game engine.

6. Grahag Trainee Engineer

As far as connectors go, check ownership on them. Every time I create one on a station, it sets the ownership to Nobody and I can't dock to it. When I switch it to Me, it works perfectly. Usually I just go through to all my base equipment, do a CTRL-A and then set ownership to me and everything works after that. For some reason, connectors are always set to Nobody when you create them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

This is a big No-No. This would make the game unplayable for another year (well, maybe not so much but still). Please finish the game as it is, and then evaluate new possibilities for SE2 maybe with a new engine.

@Deepflame Sorry to bring you in, but if your team ever consider to make a rotating planet, please explore the 'instance' option. The planet would run its own 'server' in dedicated CPU core. In this server only the planet exists, and you can use the rotating sun trick. When leaving the atmosphere, there is a barrier where your ship is removed from the planet server and transferred to the 'universe' server. Once in the universe, the sphere planet you see IS acutally rotating, and if you re-enter the atmosphere your spawn point is adjusted to account for the planet's rotation.
    The only drawback would be the unrealism of seeing a ship dissappear before your eyes when you see someone hitting the barrier. But for a first implementation, sounds good. It would improve the simspeed of the entire server using one core per planet. Also there needs to be a deadzone so you can't stand in the barrier and change worlds at will. Maybe also an entry/exit cooldown timer to prevent exploting... hmm this could work!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Ranger Trainee Engineer

"the crosshair being inaccurate in 3rd person." So what about in 1st person? I havent found them to be accurate at all.

9. Hakon102 Apprentice Engineer

@DS_Marine Deepflame is not longer responsible for SE . He is the Dev Leader of ME now. I don't know, if he work additionally on SE.

10. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

i really dislike this idea, while it is favourable for sim speed, it will break the realism of the simulation too much for me to accept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

I am against of any big change to the game before it reachs beta/release. When they released planets, they put a BIG pressure on us server admins to keep our servers in a playable state.
    A chage like rotating planets would be a nightmare again, and I also enjoy being able to land in a planet with only some LOD changes.
    Just wanted to share an idea with the devs...
    Ohhh :( we will miss him... Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

You gotta think theres probably a tonne of work to do to make that work right as well u know, like how would two antenna's behave who are in range but seperated by essentially being on another server or simulation.
    especially with laser antenna and such that work with LOS from surface to orbit and to another planet via a network of grids... just doesn't seem feasible to my mind.

13. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

that idea was introduced via Empyrion and the reason planets in SE work like this is because devs don't want any sort of loading screens even invisible ones
    it was discussed already many times

14. aka13 Trainee Engineer

Is the proper inventory sorting fixed finally? As in, storage containers in storage tab, refineries and smelter in their own?

15. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

The devs can make it work without a loading screen, just like the jump drive works.

16. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

there is still a slight loading lag when jumping while there is none when going to planet

17. Hakon102 Apprentice Engineer

Im against "Instances" for Planets. Because you lose many freedom and possibilities. You can't see and bombard Bases from the Space and vice versa. You can't see a ship in the Orbit and destroy it with a PM Missle. These Freedom is the spirit of SE in my eyes.

I hope in a few years, after the development of SE. They start with Edit : SE Remastered or SE 2, with a better newer Engine without so much Problems. (Mabe Unity 5 --> VRage 3.0)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

Making SE2 makes no sense unless it gives some plot/timeline continuation, otherwise it will be just SE:Remastered.
    i'd rather hope they polish vrage so it works without making everything from scratch

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

well, multiplayer is still under construction. the bigger problem is...simulation speed and physics arent stable in singleplayer too. copy past some ships and delete them afterwards can kill your simspeed forever. every ship which is complex enough kills your simspeed (i am not talking about size). attach some landing gears with multiple rotors and there is no fun anymore. (i5, GTX970) it feels like physics need a code cleaning and overhaul. so many complete blackouts. my space shuttle is getting stuck in the ground about 3m without damage or collision (speed 70m/s)

i suggest kerbal space program to you. playing it since a week, its really great.

20. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

You seem to ignore the fact that this game relies on a third party physics engine. SE2 makes a lot of sense, choosing a better engine suited for all the new and planned stuff, i.e. rotating planets, compound blocks and all the crazy stuff people wants. And IDK if they still have to handle that 64bit to 32bit havok stuff. And maybe incorporating full fledged single player campaing. SE2 makes sense.
    Since SE have no plotline, you don't need to follow it in SE2.
    Also I'm sure you can implement some kind of instancing that is transparent to players. They did pretty smart stuff for planets, so they can pull that one out also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

I think the biggest issue/limitation of the game right now is havok physics....it's just awful.
    If they make an SE2 or something that will have to be one of the main things that is changed.

22. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

If there was a SE2 down the road (and I hope there is someday) I would like to see it on top of the Unity engine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt havok the same engine they use for the Ultimate Fighter Championship games?

24. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Havok was used in many movies/games. Harry potter, Matrix, James Bond... Games like Halo, Skyrim, Fallout series, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and many more.. It's the most popular physics destruction engine.

25. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

clang sure does destroy physics :woot:

26. Foqueasy Trainee Engineer

Update incoming! "NEW" removed.

27. Thijs272 Trainee Engineer

Any update speculations?

28. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Space Bread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Ame Trainee Engineer

Dare I say it: performance improvements? (or at least the next itteration of performance improvements) :eek:

30. megapro Trainee Engineer

that would ruin all orbital weapons. maybe they could make grids "static" only relative to the planet they are based on. But I agree rotating planets is not a priority right now I would still like to see it though along with fluid water maybe in a year or two.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.