Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.139 - Stable branch, Update 01.140 dev - Planetary improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

it's wednesday, not thursday

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. LocInt Apprentice Engineer

lol

3. megapro Trainee Engineer

Only with a mod or in SE toolbox as far as I know ctrl+x doesn't work and there is no space master option to delete planets either.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316190120

4. michaelt359 Trainee Engineer

PLEASE add different sized hydrogen tanks and conveyor hinges so we don't need to have the mod in all our worlds. Smaller hydrogen tanks would be extremely helpful for more compact ships along with a small ship refinery and assembler.

I know you probably won't see this, but if you do, please take my thoughts into consideration.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Spets Master Engineer

well, I press ctrl+x to delete a block, missed and aimed to the ground, and then the planet disappeared o.O

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I did this too the other day!!

It was close to the large pirate base on Earth like planet, I had been shooting it up and everything it spawns in creative mode because there is literally nothing else to do.. and when the planet disappeared there was lots of scrap metal floating around... it was cool looking, it had an awesome atmosphere with all the bits of scrap pieces floating everywhere.

7. megapro Trainee Engineer

ok, that's weird... do you have to be controlling a character for that? I tried it in spectator mode and it didn't work with ctrl+x. (also i don't play the stable branch)

8. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I agree. it can be annoying to be building and have to find a place for an ungodly sized tank- even if more are needed smaller ones would allow them to be spread and aligned more neatly. (the large one can stay of course,since the thruster's already aligned to it,just adding in some sort of smaller one)

9. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Or if you aren't even using hydrogen thrusters but need hydrogen for the medical bay/cryo pods to recharge your jetpack and don't want to leave the oxygen generators running 24/7 because it wastes ice and backs up all the oxygen tanks leading to the vents not being able to depressurize and blowing your air out the doors every time you open them?
    --- Automerge ---
    Anyone know how to switch a rented dedicated server to dev branch?
    Is it a new config option or something or do you have to upload the whole thing via FTP every week?

10. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

On the possibility that I say BS, but wouldn't that be something to ask the renters of your server? Or is it some kind of official renting?

11. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Why BS? Wouldn't the answer be the same if you were running the dedicated on your own computer?
    The question was very simple, how to switch the branch on a dedicated server.

12. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

g4borg is correct. Steam update is controlled by your hosting company. If you want to switch to the DEV branch, you will need to contact them to see if it is possible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Dawnkeeper Apprentice Engineer

Not necessarily. If he rented just the server and installed the software himself then it's his problem.
    If he explicitly rented a SE dedicated server then the host is most likely responsible.

14. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

True. If it is a VPS, then there is no issue. Update your batchfile and you're done. My impression is that he is using a hosting service, not a VPS.

15. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, thanks for the info.
    For 3 bucks a month they don't have very much in terms of support or options, at least it runs well.
    It IS an SE server, but they also host a bunch of other games, so management is a little strange sometimes, but you can get it to work.

16. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

I haven't seen many hosts offering branch support on their hosts. Although I have not seen it, it does not mean it is not possible.

17. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

My host has options for switching to dev branch, though there pricing is a bit steep.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

SE still runs on 3$ hosts? who is that? last time i was on everyone complained the Ram usage basically outted them from their cheap servers.

19. Vlad Trainee Engineer

recently when i started to build projects for planets it came to a point where something must change. my design was a 6*4*14 car box, then i tought about adding wheels but here comes the problem: there are no 2x2 wheels and 3x3 are too big plus suspension dont fit in 6x6 because its made for a 8x8 and thats too big for this real scale design. if its possible please add 2x2 wheels in one of next patches (same thing that happend with batteries, its a important feature)

20. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

And now, where is my dev update!? :((

21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Dev Update got split into Experimental Dev Update and Stable Dev Update. Sadly so were Steam's servers, so if the update takes a while i'd blame Summer Sale starting a couple hours earlier.

22. Hald Trainee Engineer

I'll say for it too! And DEVS! Please! Add small ship windows! Let us more options to build small ships!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. FakeName Trainee Engineer

I prefare a large fixed gatling gun tho.

24. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I agree.
    Windows and also other vanilla blocks should be available for small ships as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Well...I have had a patch delivered by Steam ..... but I do not have a clue what it contains. It's updated Dev, but with no update list

26. Spets Master Engineer

yeah, I was using the character
    I have to be extra careful now when I'm deleting stuff :/

27. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

First off, calm down? Here's a quote from this week's patch notes, "Great...more **** I don't give a damn about? Their Sound guy can take a hike for all I care - waste of salary - get another coder with that budget - and hopefully one that knows how to do backwards compatible mod changes." While this brand of indignation is his, every week the patch notes are littered with people like this and yourself who believe they know it all. Look, let's be really clear here. I'll be incredibly generous and assume you do actively develop ... something, and unlike the engine I 'actively' develop in my spare time because I'm a nerd who enjoys that sort of stuff, I'm going to assume you have a product you are trying to bring to market. That said, there is at best very little comparison between Keen Software House's development model, team and difficulties and whatever this anomalous actively developed projects you maintain. If my words seem high-strung it's only because I get annoyed by all the faux developers that lurk the forums with their armchair predictions and suggestions. So put your money where your mouth is. If you can do this so much better, drop an application with Keen. See if they pick up your resume. You want to prove me wrong and yourself right? Get a job working for Keen and use a better development model. Or hell, link this project of yours.

Normally I'm a lurker on the forums so I do take a bit of interest when you say 'we'. Just who is 'we'. Whose opinions are you co-opting here? Sorry, 'we' don't know that. Because if you are as observant as you think you'd both be aware of why Keen is doing this and also Marek Rosa's admission that development had historically been very loosely managed. When he talks about a rapidly expanding team with little to no oversight you can understand how Space Engineers got the way it is. If Keen is honestly putting more resources into managing teams and priorities any 'developer' would be aware of the importance of that. Then again, you'd also be aware that the purpose of the branch isn't to make all the bugs disappear since even by your own admission this is still an alpha project and it has no such thing as stable! My you can be condescending! The stable means that each week you won't be fighting with new bugs, because for many people they can play knowing they have to work around certain limitations right now and each month, if things are going well, it will have the previous bug fixes applied and ideally become more stable. If Keen had started this way you'd have nothing to say, but because they decided to try it now it's 'fail'?

I love your brand of cynacism. Read your words. You've said THESE HEADACHES AREN'T GOING TO GO AWAY WITH TIME. So Keen should just quit? You as a professional and highly recognizable developer in the industry are telling Keen to pack it in? Hey Keen, some guy with 'TheSage' in his name says you should quit. So in addition to spitting on the work everyone at Keen does each week, you also aren't aware of how source control works? Because I suspect they use this type of source control in the office. I mean, do you think they sit around and play weekly builds? The difficulty of the DX9 branch was that meant they needed to cherry pick changes and test they would still work with a rapidly aging DX9 build. Things like graphics, animation and sound, let alone any systems changes or bug fixes that might have caused trouble in the DX9 branch would have to be reworked or scrapped. Managing that IS a lot of work. For the stable branch, at worst, someone does a few extra hours of work each month. And you know, honestly, I might be wrong because I don't work for Keen and I don't know. But once again, I'm willing to believe that at THE VERY WORST Keen did this because they believe it will help make the product better in the long run. Which to be completely fair, is FAR more credit than you've given them. So that was Keen's solution, what's your magic bullet?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  28. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

gamed.de, it's a 4 slot server and runs well enough for 3 people, aside from the usual problems and oxygen system stuttering.

29. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

no hotfix patch notes for today; and the sim lag spikes are back for me on planets; turrets randomly turn on and shoot things while lagging. then i've been noticing that lights randomly turn off when near the edge of my screen as do shadows, lights and shadows also fail to appear correctly when looking threw glass... the moon still isn't fix'd from its pacman state, nor the flickering... in fact flickering seem worse. but hey, dev branch is going starmade, so there's that to look forward to.

30. Wayne Barraclough Trainee Engineer

I know. but I have been posting it every week since they broke it so...
    A man can dream.
    =P

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.