Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.142 - Revised Building System

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

Anything that helps me reduce clutter on my tool bar is very welcome. It will be especially helpful when make large glass structures/domes.

2. Manticore Apprentice Engineer

Interesting changes I must admit.

3. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

*sigh* good update, but you -had- to bind build mode to R? Sooo, that makes me a sad panda cause that was my easy-access "K" replacement binding.
    Yeah, probably just me...but I'm still upsetty spaghetti...

Also...that means there won't ever be proper reloading for character weapons? Wut? Did no one at Keen remember how retarded that is right now?
    And I also get why you made it so you have to hold Alt to zoom now, but it's still a pain in the dick none-the-less. Wish the solution was different, but I'll live with it I guess.

But don't get me wrong, generally speaking I'm still a happy panda :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Reloading can still be R. If you're holding a weapon in-hand, you wont be cycling a block size ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

I kind of hoped that this means compound blocks, but it'd be such a great change I'd expect to see it in the title. Still, this is really damn awesome. Good job guys!

6. LeeroyJenkemms Trainee Engineer

when are stable updaates?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. RayvenQ Moderator

Monthly (or every 4 weeks) roughly) We're currently in the second week since the game was split into stable.

8. OmEgA_StOrM Apprentice Engineer

Nice Update :D

does this mean that you can't "throw" blueprints any more or is this still possible ?

9. tharkus Junior Engineer

Nice update, and thanks to the modders that helped with it.
    also i was hoping for another TEASER at the end of the video to keep the hype alive haha
    :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. taleden Trainee Engineer

The updated script compiler has blacklisted use of the "VRage.MyFixedPoint" struct, which is what is returned from inventory item stacks' "Amount" property. This means that item quantities can now only be dealt with by casting the returned amount to (double), which defeats the purpose of the fixed point structure and could lead to rounding errors on large item stacks.

Any chance we could get access to that structure restored? Or alternatively, some other way to retrieve a non-floating-point representation of the quantity of an item in an inventory stack (since stack.Amount.RawValue is also prohibited)?

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Good point...

What if I want to hold a weapon in one hand while placing blocks in the other!? >:] Good lord man, think of the dual weilding!
    How else will I defend myself from dog-spider-robot-deer hybrids all on my lonesome?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

You can, just open the G-screen, hit tab, and type armor, the search will return the old base blocks and you can put those on your bar.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. taleden Trainee Engineer

The removal of MyFixedPoint also seems to interfere with the use of the IMyInventoryOwner.TransferItemTo() method, unless I'm doing something wrong. I used to pass a MyFixedPoint struct as argument 5 (quantity) and after changing that to pass a double, I get the error: Argument 5: cannot convert from 'double' to 'VRage.MyFixedPoint?'

• Like Like x 1
  14. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I think it somehow got missed in the whitelists.

• Like Like x 1
  15. taleden Trainee Engineer

Well, here's hoping that can be fixed soon, then. I don't think TIM can be fixed without the use of that method. :)
    --- Automerge ---
    I also can't seem to use MyRelationsBetweenPlayerAndBlock, as in "block.GetUserRelationToOwner(Me.OwnerId) != MyRelationsBetweenPlayerAndBlock.Owner" to test if the Progammable Block and some other block have the same owner. I now get the error "The type or member 'MyRelationsBetweenPlayerAndBlock' is prohibited". It looks to me like the return value of GetUserRelationToOwner() is technically a VRage.Game.MyRelationsBetweenPlayerAndBlock, but that full identifier doesn't work either, nor does "using VRage.Game;" even though the steam post from awhile back did say that VRage.Game should be whitelisted. Any ideas?

16. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for you report! You have proven the usefullness of the dev branch .D (mod breaking bug did not reach live stable servers).

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

when I saw the title my heart nearly stopped. but then I saw,wasn't so dramatic like ME had haha so all is good
    nice! less bloat
    can't blame them,space is cold. according to starwars.
    plenty of nice fixes

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Der Dunkel Trainee Engineer

It would probably be strange to make it possible since I don't think everyone likes the idea of having to rotate every block to see which one you want at that place. And pressing an extra button while scrolling to not keep the direction also seems counter intuitive.

19. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ R A N T \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

WOW New building system is a huge step backward... Why does it feel like new players are always considered before existing players? oh because they want the money... TOP TRYING TO MAKE THIS A CONSOLE GAME!

You made a PC game and want the console market too. PORT IT AFTER finish the game get it out of alpha(STILL ALPHA) for pc then fuck up a console version.

The thing is, its the little stuff that shows you're slipping up, not the big stuff... This is CLEARLY an under-structured development pipeline and a lack of proper project management. This position directly leads to employees(programmers) performing the minimum asked of them This is exactly the case here...
    - remove snap rotations from new grid placements slowing shit down to a crawl
    - group multiple blocks in one... Hard for new users by the way AND have a category list on the left that is STILL HUGE for some reason even though you've grouped the blocks.
    - group items but never remember what item was used last or its orientation or its size.....
    - WHY DO I HAVE TO CHOOSE A BLOCK SIZE ALL OF THE SUDDEN.....
    - put so many things in the block description, you cant see it and scroll bars are required.
    - not tell or show people that left clicking a block allows you to mouse over and scroll through the block description.
    - force every single player to use this new
    - ETC...
    You guys literally did a rough draft and pushed it to the dev branch... I think i still see eraser smudges on the new UI.... keep this crap to you're selves on silent branch and move it when its actually ready, not for the sake of emphasizing the new branches...Which you're doing swimmingly i might :/

LET ME HELP YOU HELP YOU'RE SELVES! Primary user (influential) metrics should be carefully evaluated then, an improved solution integrated with consideration for novice users. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

• Disagree Disagree x 18
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

One thing added not in the changelog:

Mods can now read and write files inside the world save location, under <save directory>\Storage\<ModId_ClassName>

Code:
            //
            // Summary:
            //    Write text file to the current world's Storage directory.
            //
            // Parameters:
            //  file:
            //
            //  callingType:
            TextWriter WriteFileInWorldStorage(string file, Type callingType);

//
            // Summary:
            //    Write file to the current world's Storage directory.
            //
            // Parameters:
            //  file:
            //
            //  callingType:
            BinaryWriter WriteBinaryFileInWorldStorage(string file, Type callingType);

//
            // Summary:
            //    Read text file from the current world's Storage directory.
            //
            // Parameters:
            //  file:
            //
            //  callingType:
            //
            // Remarks:
            //    This directory is under Saves\<SteamId>\<WorldName>\Storage
            TextReader ReadFileInWorldStorage(string file, Type callingType);

//
            // Summary:
            //    Read file from the current world's Storage directory.
            //
            // Parameters:
            //  file:
            //
            //  callingType:
            BinaryReader ReadBinaryFileInWorldStorage(string file, Type callingType);

bool FileExistsInWorldStorage(string file, Type callingType);

void DeleteFileInWorldStorage(string file, Type callingType);

--- Automerge ---
    As a veteran player, I very much welcome this change. I've wanted this since it was introduced in ME.

It's so much easier to find blocks, and handle toolbar placement. A small loss of a feature like having to always press R now, is worth the improvements IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well, that's nice and all, but why can't we have that in the tab that's called "ALL BLOCKS"? That's unnecessary busywork, especially with how unresponsive the text field is.

Alternative question: Why can't we at least have all blocks in the "LARGE BLOCKS"-tab?
    [​IMG]

The "Small Blocks"-tab still does it and it works fine, at least for the basic building blocks.

[​IMG]

Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be? Keep the new system as alternative but keep the G-menu usable for choosing blocks for the hotbar.

22. Legolas6531 Trainee Engineer

Organization and decluttering is always a great thing! :) since blocks are now divided into categories, it would be cool if we could get a combination of hot keys like Ctrl+Alt+Scroll wheel and switch between blocks of different categories :) like switch the conveyor block on my hot bar to the straight tube without having to open the menu and remove it. (I haven't been on to see what all is scrollable and whatnot :p)

23. Pie Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for looking at the inertial dampeners on DS planets - it is one again possible to descend with inertial dampeners off!

It's still not quite right tho - with dampeners on all ships seem to settle descending at around 4.5m/s - they don't hover like they do in SP. I'll update one of the bug reports.

24. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

It works fine. You listed IMyInventoryOwner, which is deprecated. Though it doesn't even have that method it appears.

My beam drill mod uses it.

Code:
    // Transfer items
    var items = m_cachedSrcInventory.GetItems();

for (int i = 0; i < items.Count; i++)
    {
        var item = items[i];
        if (!CollectStone && item.Content.SubtypeName == "Stone")
        {
            Logger.Instance.LogDebug(string.Format("Destroying {0:F2} of {1}", (float)item.Amount, item.Content.SubtypeName));
            m_cachedSrcInventory.Remove(item, item.Amount);
        }
        else
        {
            if (m_cachedDstInventory.ItemsCanBeAdded(item.Amount, item))
            {
                Logger.Instance.LogDebug(string.Format("Transferring {0:F2} of {1}", (float)item.Amount, item.Content.SubtypeName));
                m_cachedDstInventory.TransferItemsFrom(m_cachedSrcInventory, item, item.Amount);
            }
            else
            {
                // If inventory is full, transfer what is possible, then shut the drill off and notify the user
                Logger.Instance.LogDebug(string.Format("Can not transer {0:F2} of {1}, inventory full?", (float)item.Amount, item.Content.SubtypeName));
                m_cachedDstInventory.TransferItemsFrom(m_cachedSrcInventory, item, item.Amount);
                MessageUtils.ShowMessageToUsersInRange(m_drill as IMyFunctionalBlock, "Inventory full, mining stopped", 5000, true);
                (m_drill as IMyFunctionalBlock).RequestEnable(false);
            }
        }

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  25. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Oooh, very snazzy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Krougal Senior Engineer

Not saying it doesn't need polish (what doesn't in this game) but it's a big step forward.
    I'm not a console player either. The wife gets ugly if I go near "her" PS4.
    We had 9 hotbars and there was still not enough room for all the blocks. Just consolidating all the armor shapes down into 2 hotbar spots is fucking HUGE to me.
    This is the first patch in a long time where I actually feel like the new features are actually a worthwhile new feature.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  27. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

I agree it needed change but not this way. This is worse. The User Interface needs a revisit entirely. They spend time developing a system to allow modders to change what exists but what exists is broken...They should have been able to push the beta or live by now given they have all of the mechanics but they're disorganized.

I agree with the reasoning behind the changes and that they do in fact NEED to do something but this is time wasted updating a broken system. They need to revisit this as much as anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  28. carlos.assumpca2 Trainee Engineer

Hi, I am new to the game but I noticed that he is receiving updates for other versions and is not updating automatically. I have to do. 1:39 and I'm in trouble I've seen that the next versions are not. I do not know if I could post it here, so already I apologize.

29. Dicarus Apprentice Engineer

Neato.

30. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

You're on the Stable Branch which isn't updated for weeks; it only gets the newest bugs when the Dev Branch is done not testing them because nobody outside these threads even know it exists (@Xocliw some feedback for ya - people don't even know Dev exists..). To go to the proper branch (called Dev, updated weekly) you go to your Steam Library, rightclick on Properties, open the Beta-tab and select Dev. Or don't.

Edit: expected Informative, Friendly or Disagree. Did not expect Funny. Shine on, you crazy diamonds...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.