Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.144 STABLE; Update 01.149 DEV - Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bleh Trainee Engineer

agree to disagree

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. [LP] OMG Shadow® Trainee Engineer

Update came, but without patchnotes... And no video:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bobo Sims Trainee Engineer

No, it's not directly preventing me... if I fidget around long enough, and take enough distance from the location where I want to build the ship, it *can* be done. It just takes a lot of fidgeting and messing around before it actually works.

I don't know what your definition of "better" looks like, @Conradian, but it does not begin to cover my experience so far. Just read my different posts about it so far in this thread, and you'll get an idea of the frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shuro Apprentice Engineer

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bootstrap Trainee Engineer

Was anyone else on the development branch? Which, now removed, caused my game to downgrade to stable, and now when selecting the develop branch and updating non of my worlds will load?

6. Conradian Moderator

@Bleh @Bobo Sims It's better, but it's also new and it has a number of issues which you've brought up and I will be passing to Xocliw. Some of what's been said is known about and is being addressed already. E.g. Getting blocks separate rather than in multi-blocks will be made easy. It's better but it's far from perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Shuro Apprentice Engineer

Could be, could not be. Who knows? Kinda exciting, right?

8. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

This could be very annoying though as now not a single one of my saves or workshop submissions can be loaded as it was created in a newer version :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bleh Trainee Engineer

No its not.

YOu may like it better. some might, but after years of playing in a system I've grown to really like it. and its efficient when used correctly.

This is just another example of keen forcing changes down our throat that no one asked for, like cyber hounds and dirty glass.

And they dumped it on STABLE when it clearly wasnt stable.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. [LP] OMG Shadow® Trainee Engineer

No excitement please, I may get a heat attack!:p

11. Conradian Moderator

You've grown to like the old system. So have I. But liking and knowing how to use a system doesn't necessarily mean it is objectively better than the replacement. It's just that you don't like change.

The new system is objectively more organised, less messy, and has a more efficient base. Once most if not all of the teething issues are sorted it's going to be so much better.

As for Keen forcing changes down your throat, I'm going to remind you whose game it is. Not yours, theirs. Cyber Hounds are optional and dirty glass is being sorted.

P.s. Rating my posts "funny" because you disagree is the sort of thing that discourages the devs from interacting with the community. Just as a head's up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. druppi Apprentice Engineer

13. Entersprite Apprentice Engineer

I guess they just realized when they wanted to upload the update that there are two development branches, so they quickly deleted the wrong one. Which means update is coming in minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Bleh Trainee Engineer

The new system is definitely broken and dumped on stable. Regardless of which is "objectively better" it wasnt stable. Yes part of my distane for it is because 3 years into the game they decided hey lets just change the entire UI, we have a dev branch should we leave it there until it works? Naw lets dump it on stable.

Cyberhounds WERE NOT Optional when they were shoved down our throats as part of a cruel holiday joke by the devs, and dirty glass has been 'being sorted' for what 6 months now?

15. Tygra Trainee Engineer

Finally someone not panicking:p

• Like Like x 1
  16. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

I reckon you're right @Entersprite. At least I hope you are or I've lost all my builds.

17. Bobo Sims Trainee Engineer

Ok, I'll take your word for it that it will *be* better, then, @Conradian. But really, block selection is not my problem. It's starting new grids that causes me to grind my teeth in agony. Or aiming the cursor at one block for welding or grinding, and then finding that the game decides to target a block two inches BELOW the cursor.

And a new thing that I just encountered while using a welding ship. As soon as it stops welding its target project - either because it's finished, or because it runs out of a required component -, the ship and the target become fused together, even at several meters distance from each other. If you try to move one, the other follows. Unless the other is firmly locked to the station, in which case BOTH can no longer be moved. This happens with the Twin Welders. I wouldn't even try the Vanilla welders at this point, because their range is shorter, so I expect that they would be stuck much sooner.

My game doesn't break down, my blocks don't explode, my worlds don't become corrupted or inaccessible. But for all the weird stuff that *does* happen, I couldn't be off much worse if any of those *did* happen. I'm crossing me legs (my fingers are too short) that none of that happens, though... And I make backups... lots of backups... Even a buggy game like The Sims 2 couldn't make me do that!

18. Shuro Apprentice Engineer

That is right, there where two branches, but the longer existing was "development" which was the original dev-branch. Develop came last Thursday, probably because of an deployment error. ^^

PAAANNIIICCC

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. druppi Apprentice Engineer

i hope they abandon the dev brace its total chaos now and for the quality it would be much better to have one big update per month instead the small bits of bug implementation every week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

21. Tygra Trainee Engineer

Xocliw told her last stream.

22. LetTheWookieeWin Apprentice Engineer

I'm going to remind you that without us the paying public they would have no game for the public to complain about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Conradian Moderator

What's not stable about the new system? It's not bugged as far as I've seen, just in need of tweaking.

Cyberhounds originally weren't optional no, neither were spiders. But they are now.

As for glass, every block has been redone, why they haven't reverted the scratches in the mean-time I don't know or understand. I know Marek wanted it scratched and that's why it was changed, and the new glass will fix the scratches.

Yeah that's all weird things that need to be sorted and I'll be mentioning those to Xocliw when I can. I do think there should be a hotkey for placing a new grid rather than just wanting to do it automatically, or at least the game should know that you want to place a small gear locked to a large grid if you're using small blocks near a large grid.

The two inches below thing sounds like issues with the way they changed blocks way back when, wherein the game will target the grid space that is occupied, rather than using LoS to find the actual block. It's why you can't paint inverted corners with corners on their three sides, and it didn't use to be like that.

As for the welding ship thing, is that with projectors? Sounds odd. Make a bug report if you haven't already with steps to reproduce and I'll make sure it gets looked at.
    --- Automerge ---
    The paying public, which includes me, bought the game because we supported the vision we were presented in what we could play, what we could see, and what we were told.

Buying the game doesn't mean you also buy the right to suggest directions for the game to explore. That's a privilege the devs have given us.

If you want to buy yourself the ability to direct the game, I suggest you go buy a majority share in Keen.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Bleh Trainee Engineer

well i tried to decline this discussion politely but you kept bringing me back into it.

And i guess i can't add moderators to my ignore list so you can either keep arguing with me or let it die like i tried to several posts ago

25. Conradian Moderator

@Bleh I'm trying to have a discussion. I would like you to actually tell me what bugs there are, so I can tell the devs directly.

Don't bite the hand that feeds, I'm trying to help here.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Bobo Sims Trainee Engineer

What *would* have been an improvement, would be to leave the old build system in, add the new method as an *alternative*, and allow people to choose with a single checkbox which method they wish to use! THAT would have been a visionary approach!

Yes, it's their game, but we have already paid for the right to play with it, and then it gets updated to something that to us - the customers - looks like less than it originally was! If someone sold you a tin of caviar, and then replaced the tin by a can of salmon *AFTER YOU HAD ALREADY PAID*, would *you* not feel shafted? Yes, it was THEIR caviar, and it was THEIR salmon. But would you not scream FOUL ??? We bought a game that worked a certain way, and now it no longer does...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Bleh Trainee Engineer

It's a poorly done clone of the empyrion build system, i didnt like it in empyrion and i don't like it in space engineers

THAT!!!! ^^^ THAT

And now its too late to get a refund if it was this i would have done the same thign i did with empyrion, got a refund because i found it awkward and unpleasant to use

28. Grape_Ape Trainee Engineer

Opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Conradian Moderator

Not everything can be an option. And I don't agree this should have been. It will get better over time and you will find it is closer to the old system than it is currently.

Your analogy falls apart though. You can't compare to food so well since you eat the caviar and the salmon. And at some indeterminate point (2 hours by Steam's standards) you got your money's worth anyway.

As explained, it's not. It's objectively better.
    --- Automerge ---
    That isn't in itself a bug.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Bleh Trainee Engineer

Tagged funny because that's hilarious

I'm done with this conversation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.