Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.147 - Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by jolk, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Pethy997 Trainee Engineer

It is only my opinion, but I think the visual scripting would be much more useful for programing blocks.
    The scenario and tutorial making is for me not realy fun, I would more like when i could easier program my ship than now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

I don't know if I can agree enough. The programmable blocks always seemed very exclusionary to me. Sure, there's loads of wonderful scripts made by talented people, but if you plan on using your own custom script, it takes quite a bit of research and dedication to learn. Here's hoping that Keen follows this thread and gives the old block a more intuitive interface, while still keeping the text editor for more advanced users. If nothing else, it would be a good learning tool for aspiring script writers.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Gehn Trainee Engineer

My friend made a space elevator on the moon. A simple thing that used wheels to move up armor blocks. Also tried it with just thrusters. I'd join his game, not using a DS, and while it works perfectly for him the vehicle would always end up moving up shaking inside one of the armor block towers on my screen. Occasionally the vehicle would disappear for me except for the wheels themselves. Other times my movement would be all over the place like I was desynching with the server. Connection to each other is stable since we play other games fine together.

4. Geneticus Senior Engineer

There has only been 1 update to stable so far.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Pie Apprentice Engineer

The 'descending on DS with no downwards thrust' problem I believe referred to in the fix list as being the planetary lander fix is very close now but still not quite there. Gravity seems to take effect when you hold down 'C' with no downwards thrust, but if you hit 'space' then lift off the ship will still float away drawing no power until you either turn the engines off, dampeners off, or press 'c' again. Still - it's an improvement so hopefully not long now until it's fixed for good!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

awesome. good work

7. RobberFly Trainee Engineer

Let me help you with that.

Shall I help you to review previous change logs as well?

8. zavorot_kostey Trainee Engineer

Nice feature, please could you also implement visual programming for programmable blocks? And also it would be cool to have procedural block generator so that you could specify blocks dimensions and per-face painting and material, and save these settings so that you could use it later. That would unclutter block menu even further.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Return Station Voxel Support World Option.
    Fix the new Block Placing System (the new autosnap-thing is appreciated but doesn't fix the underlying problems).
    Fix the G-Menu. (the Search Bar still broken).
    De-scratch Glass.

The autosnap feature is kinda... i guess it's a start?

This could be expanded to allow full rotation without needing to use the usual buttons. As it stands the automatic snapping is fine but, say, the regular Armor Slope is still going to need manual adjusting; right now it doesn't seem worth the extra button press if i have to leave the WASD anyway unless i'm lucky with position. Still, a step in the right direction.

The World Options Enable Spiders and Disable Respawn Ships have returned. I nod in approval. Station Voxel Support next week?

• Like Like x 1
  10. RobberFly Trainee Engineer

All I heard was...

Count me in!

11. Ame Trainee Engineer

Completely agree. How am I supposed to know if you guys are working on my (or anyone elses) major bug bear if you won't tell us? Even something as simple as "... we've started work on feature X this week and hope to have it in your hands Soon TM" or "... bug A (as in pain in the) is proving very difficult to squash. (maybe include some extra technical details for those that know the code)" would suffice.

Also; please for the love of all things that are good and sacred in this world make a visual programming language for the programming block! Before now I thought it would be too much to ask, but since it's already being done...

Make the PB understandable to all!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Devon_v Senior Engineer

No teaser. I feel cheated. :)

I don't see the visual scripting coming to the PB, as it's for Programming. A Scriptable Block on the other hand...

13. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Yep, I guess it's either it'd be too obvious a hint for the general public, or they figured that, while the common fellow wouldn't understand what was there, those of us a little more into technical stuff would end up figuring out the mistery. Whatever it is, could be very interesting. I also think that it may be something to release at the same time as the visual scripting, though I don't know if it's something teasable, like the new PBR cargo container.

If someone hasn't seen it yet:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Merandix Junior Engineer

Okay, just a 'small' question. Are you guys planning on changing / adding anything major to rotors and pistons? I continuously see somewhat effective or ineffective fixes... while really, they simply DO NOT WORK the way people expect them to. And that misallignment of what people can reasonably expect about functionality of a part and its actual functionality is hurting the game.

With that I mean, we all know how they're supposed to work. Because in all our guts and little brains, creations pop up of rotating nacelles, ships deploying large drilling rigs... Or maybe even something as simple as a door. The way current pistons and rotors work is that they laugh in your face, and explode in a big 'nope', just don't work, tear your ship apart, or be a huge pain to build. Or it is possible, but you need to find out about the inner workings of the engine and how to cheat in said ideas. The entire system remains unintuitive, unfriendly to new players and uninviting of creativity, because it rewards creative efforts with having to fight the limitations of the parts in the engine, rather than fighting engineering challenges.

This is a fundamental gameplay problem which keeps this game from reaching its potential, it's right up there with MP being still in the works, yet at least with MP we know 'KSH is working on it'. But the continuous 'fixes and tweaks' on rotors and pistons lead me to believe you guys actually think they can work fine in their current forms.

Long question short. Can we expect fundamental gameplay fixes to these features that currently do not allow players to do the things they can reasonable be expected to do?

Just really curious if I should slash this hope from my list or not.

On the particular update video: Seems like a neat feature, good job on building and presenting Lukáš! Just curious about the blurry bits :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

Seems like they just break and re patch the same shit all the time. I haven't played in months and wont until they fix this shit for real for real.

- Said the guy with 2k hours....

16. doom Trainee Engineer

Looks like my World doesnt open with the new version :( "Application error occurred. ... Do you want to submit log to developers?". This happens with all the 5 backups (they are all from today as I just played before the update) aswell. Other older worlds seem to open. Anyone else having this problem?

Logfile says two things of interest:
    1) Exception occured: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    2) ERROR: branch name cannot be resolved, services=

Is my world (and all the five backups) somehow corrupted?

EDIT: It really seems my world is corrupted. When I removed all structures (with SEToolbox world editor) from Earth, my World started to load again. The funny thing is, that I havent visited Earth in the game for months now. Meaning: what ever structure at Earth got bugged, it appears to got broken by it self :(

I also found lots of other unlucky people complaining about the same issue already since beginning of 2015 atleast, so this random world corruption is not a new feature. One very recent thread: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/0...tempted-to-read-or-write-protected-m.7385978/

I personally highly recommend to increase the amount of auto backups to cover a few days, so you see if the game wont load next time you (quit and) reload your save.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  17. druppi Apprentice Engineer

lets see how long it takes till the same bugs return again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Hellothere! Apprentice Engineer

These things are being addressed trust me. I love building with pistons and rotors and tend to push the limits of what is possible/ stable with them in most of many of my creations, so I usually notice pretty quickly if they made a change to rotor or piston mechanics.

Quite often I suddenly find that an old design which I never got working suddenly functions way better, even though the update notes mentioned nothing about a change to the involved blocks. At other times a change will break a previously functioning design for a few months, but overall there is definitely an observable positive trend.

Another factor here is that pistons and rotor usually aren't the actual origin of the problems we associate with them. Since Rotors and Pistons connect two separate physics objects they have a tendency to amplify already existing problems and imperfections within the physics engine, leading to the jitters, and phantom forces we as the players observe.
    This makes it hard to set rotor/piston improvements as a direct goal. The most drastic improvements with them that I noticed were usually not when the devs mentioned a rotor/piston-fix in the update notes, but as unintended side effects to other fixes and performance improvements elsewhere in the game.

The problems with rotors and pistons will take a long time to fix and there is no reason to halt new developments in the meantime.

19. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

People have been saying this for 2+ years...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. redraptor Trainee Engineer

This! This means I can go back to playing again.

21. Jananton Trainee Engineer

Well, I believe I've never replied to these update threads, but watching that visual scripting mechanic being worked on sure looks incredible interesting.
    Certainly something to give a spin when it will be introduced to the community.:tu:

Greets,

Jan

22. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

I find the visual scripting looks good. In fact, while I do prefer code, I think in a game, like SE, even vet coders like me have fun just lazily connect boxes. If it even can parse custom code made in the same syntax as the visual code, like blizzards editors can, we got a winner.

I already saw in the scripts, that you think about rogue like mini game encounters and similar. So this will bring single player a bit closer to finish aswell.

DS Support for VS is what I expect anyway, but to be honest, I hope DS and netcode will continue to evolve more and faster, because in the end it might be the biggest feature that decides the fate of this game. Especially, DS support for linux.

As always, if anyone feels like improvement of netcode is hindering single player experience, I might remind, from a devs perspective, clean netcode also ensures a cleaner single player as a side effect.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

They already "fixed" Rotors and Pistons about a 30 times each if memory serves, so... as said above, 2 years... and that's a base block of the game, meaning it's meant to be used to construct and ENGINEER complex structures, you naturally expect a game named Space ENGINEERS to have it's engineering parts working correctly before all else.

But hey, constructive criticism is not viewed as whining and/or bitching....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. StarCore Trainee Engineer

More and more arguably useful features every week while the most important things that prevent many people from playing and actually use these features are not fixed : performance issues.

When will players not having 12+ Go of RAM be able to play instead of being bothered with features they can't even use ?

There's not a single game out there, even among the most recent ones, that require so much RAM. This is a real shame, espacially for a block based game that's called Space Engineers and in which it is not even possible to create very basic mechanisms due to parts exploding and damaging themselves without any reason.

You should really start making what currently exists work properly before adding more buggy stuff.

Also keeping a game in "early access" for 147 weeks is really taking people for idiots.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. EmperorDragon Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I did not notice glass was THIS bad!

I haven't played much recently, being mostly around the exteriors building stuff. I finally jumped into the bridge of one of my ships and... WTF??? Who was daft enough to come up with this? It's almost impossible to fly a ship in 1st person under certain light conditions.

This is strike two in terms of terrible design decision for me personally, dogs was strike one.

The thing that ticks me off most about these decisions is that they ignore the community and persist on keeping it like it is, at least they removed the dogs exploding but it remains as silly as ever. I don't know who comes up with these silly "ideas" but, if it's Marek, I would suggest staging a coup withing KSH and get him out, or something! He doesn't know what he wants to do with the game it seems.

I cannot help but feel that all they do at KSH this past few months is continuously tinkering around with existing stuff instead of moving forward with development.

26. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Actually...that's not so long. There have been some alpha releases on Steam that have been in development for 2 years or more before even REACHING alpha. All early access is doing is letting you play the game before it is ready, which was never possible before. The fact that the development process can now happen more or less in public just shows how time consuming and complex it can be.

It also allows companies to gain revenue from an unfinished game.....which may turn out to be a double edged sword.

If a game sells well in 'alpha', and the company see the sales revenue drop off......they may reach a point where the returns from actually finishing the game are minimal...since everyone who might buy it has bought it. It may get the company a bad name for ditching an unfinished game and abandoning the loyal supporters .... but they wouldn't be the first.

If fixing rotors and pistons invovled a massive code re-write, the cost to Keen may be far more than the additional revenue they will gather from a finished and released title. None of us are going to buy it....they already have our money.

I am not so worried about things like scripting being worked on, as the programmers doing it were not going to be working on the rotor code anyway. Same with the sound system, the DX11 models, and the improved textures. It would just be nie if we got a devs diary from the guys who ARE, so we know it's happening.

Windows....meh. Don't get me started. You can delete the scracth overlay and have clean windows....but why the hell should we. It's a 5 minute fix and would cheer people up. If there is something better on the way, great. But in the meantime....PLEASE replace the overlay wth a clean one.

Dogs I can actually understand, as placeholder tests for a concept. The exploding was the stupid bit. Sabiroids actually work pretty well.

27. Nyx Mulder Trainee Engineer

What about visual in-game coding?

28. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

Does sound like the same bug that hit me, "System.AccessViolationException" is a very generic error message, try reporting the half a dozen or so lines below that.
    The saves are fine, it's just something in the game has an issue running the simulation on that save.

From what my error log said, it seems to be a havok collision related error. Perhaps linked connectors.
    I've not managed to open my main world, but have ruled out asteroids as causing the crash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Tiahgar Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the update guys, I appreciate your hard work.
    The visual scripting looks interesting.

30. Fyury Trainee Engineer

Character "jump" issue when approaching ships still not fixed. Frustrating enough just being thrown to different location, but really an issue when you are thrown inside of an asteroid.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.