Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.148 DEV - Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. taleden Trainee Engineer

Lovely, thanks much!

I also have another bug to report: blocks of type IMyShipController (Cockpits, Flight Seats, etc) now finally allow in-game scripts to access their inventories via "block.GetInventory(0)", which is awesome, however the returned Sandbox.Game.MyInventory object has its Owner set to null instead of pointing back to the IMyShipController object.

Thanks for everything!

2. Inflex Developer Staff

At least we can fix this one on our own. It's pretty annoying when you come to your ship and parts of it are just floating away. I mean when you are the fortunate one and your ship didn't already exploded...

3. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Well I noticed it last night making a cargo type ship, I cant imagine the number of ships that will just fall apart anywhere.

4. Defonten Artist Staff

Hey Carlosmaid :) It's ok I like both cats and the scratches, even scratched cats! :) Thanks, glad you like our new visual style. Well, having various iterations of damage on armor is not planned as far as I know. Now about glass materials, no worries - they will be fixed, our render guys are working on them and they doing really great job fixing them!
    --- Automerge ---
    Thanks! :) We're all really trying hard to make it badass now!

• Like Like x 2
  5. FIREdog5 Trainee Engineer

I must say, this update gave me a lot of experience...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Capt. Favio Apprentice Engineer

@Defonten hey, just to say that those who think the new visual style you are making, is not nice/not agreed/not for SE/don't like it, deserve the same praise that those who agreed with you, because this just only show the polarised view of you (keen?) or the developers. /2centsoff

disclamer: This does not mean your textures and models are ugly, your job is oustanding and profesional.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Any timeframe on fixing the lacking Station Voxel Support World Option so that we can turn it off again?
    --- Automerge ---
    The problem is that, aestethics aside, it just doesn't make any goddamn sense for a ship to leave the drydock looking like it already spent a 5 Year Mission in an asteroid belt. The "Engineers"-part of SE is what makes it so wrong. Well, plus most of us who don't like it simply don't like it because it doesn't look very good.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

Just throwing in my 10 cents. I love the new art direction.

9. Richard Asgard Trainee Engineer

The new blocks look really nice, but please add an offset door.

It's very annoying having to add a mod on DS just to have an offset door wish is a basic thing to do.

10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Most of us have seen the scratched armor before. (When SE first launched all armor was scratched. You can use this mod and the other mod it links to as a reference. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568521781)

Scratches do have their place in game, but take for instance your interior, there is no way to "explain" heavy scratches in your bridge, crew quarters etc. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Krougal Senior Engineer

We've all seen it before you twit, it's called Fallout. If I want to go look at dirty dillapidated rusty shit I'll go play Fallout or any of the plethora of post-apocolypse games out there.
    I don't expect some brand new ship I built to look all banged up before I've had a chance to go out and bang it all up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

Really... More visual updates... Releasing fixes for shit you keep breaking is weak. One day your gonna run the same patch video you already made and nobody will even notice... The guy who gave us a tour of the pretty red blocks can fix you're window glass scratches as quickly as he walked threw the new blocks.... Ask me how I know...

- Why not let the community fix stupid stuff like that for you guys so we're all happy and you guys don't have to hear the shit anymore?
    - Community is faster, better, more agile and driven than your smaller team who have more important things to do apparently.
    - It's an open source game so outline a process for update submission's from the community...

The game has looked like crap for 2 years now and that isn't stopping anybody from playing... Just fix the fundamentals already. The engine likely needs refactoring entirely and you keep breaking the same shit because your bug tracking pipeline and programming methodology is unorganized.

It's scary to think you guys are "preparing" to leave alpha too. This feels just like when your mom tells you to clean your room and you throw all the shit under your bed... I know you don't care if i stop playing I'm one person...

FYI - I'm not mad I'm disappointed - like you care right?. I definitely got my $20 out of the game and really enjoyed the time I spent here but this is going the wrong direction. SERIOUSLY... your update videos are interviews now and you send us to the forum for the list updates..

MISS MANAGEMENT

Sincerely " ",
    --- Automerge ---
    s
    Or just apply scratched textures to parts that have damage... The scratches are stupid. They look fine but there stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

See, the obvious problem here is not with the game. It's with player expectations.
    Commander, I believe you stasrted playing this game using the original textures (I never had that pleasure) I started playing the game with the current textures. I don't believe I've read a single complaint about the original textures, so I guess when the current textures were applied everyone thought Keen was going for pristine, although the current textures are indeed scratched and dented and the original glass was not clean. My impression of your playstyle is that you build ships for the sake of building ships, therefore I can understand why you wouldn't want them to look "used". I don't believe you intended to take the Amanda Tapping into battle on a public server. However, the building techniques employed in the Star Trek universe suggests that Star Fleet ships are built with more uniform Fleet-regulated high-spec armor plating. Space Engineers ships are intended to look as if engineers welded on any piece that was close enough and not really interested in how pretty it looked, instead finding beauty in the fact that it held together.
    The over-arching premise of Space Engineers is that you are on your own making do with whatever you can get your hands on. There are no Easy Start scenarios where you start off in the employ of a multi-planet federation military or commercial institution which means, Krougal, generally speaking your ship has no drydock and you built it piece by piece. By Yourself.

People have said in this very thread that Keen has "strayed" from their vision. Bullshit. Keen has been desperately trying to remain faithful to their vision and "fans" have been ripping them a new one for that. Scratched and dented is signature Space Engineers. It's like expecting a Batman game to be all bright and cheerful.

The textures look the way they do because the basic premise of the game is that you start without the resources to build a perfect shiny ship. Those armor plates may come out of the assembler all nice and smooth, but by the time you've hammered them into place they end up looking like what we get. Sure, if you play the game long enough in hardcore survival to the point where you have accumulated enough resources to build a planet-sized shipyard and your're doing it in multiplayer with a faction of dedicated players and shipbuilding is what you do, then it might make sense that the ship you just built would be scratch and dent free. What's more likely in that event is that the desire for shiny smooth prompted you to use modded armor blocks and you have moved beyond vanilla blocks.

The following is not directed at anyone in particular, but is intended for all:

When Keen's artists show us their work they're not just showing us what this or that block is going to look like. They're showing us what Space Engineers is going to look like. If you're going to use vanilla blocks, they're going to look like this. When people see screenshots or videos of ships/stations with these blocks they're going to say, "That's Space Engineers." This isn't Star Trek vs the Empire. This is miners trying to strike it rich. If you don't find the textures appealing, especially to the point where it's affecting your decision to buy the game, that probably means you don't want this game. If you're reasonable enough to accept that the developer has a right to make their game in their image, yet has made it possible for you to have what you want if you're willing to take a second to subscribe to a mod, then you're probably not having a cow over textures.

And when they do change the glass, I hope someone makes a mod so I can have the current glass because it looks perfect on my ships.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

s

Dude... It isnt working with what you have... the raw materials are refined using a refinery and assembers used to assemble new parts. Technically speaking the parts coming out of the assembler are brand spanking new. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's stupid to think they would "weathered" directly out of production... Maybe because there is no game mechanic for post processing you might leave welds or occasional scratch marks but not "weathered" parts...

As for glass... you lie like a dog. The glass texture is bad.. not TERRIBLE but it cant possibly look "perfect" if you using vanilla. You have the same glass everybody else does.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. PotatoGolem Apprentice Engineer

I'M not personally attacking you Rotal, but I do feel you are being dishonest with yourself, there is a lot more then scratches that "just doesn't make any goddamn sense", for you to single out the visual style as an unacceptable one is disingenuous... the sun spins around the universe for instance..... (unless you turn it off in which case nothing moves.. period.. in a game about physical interactions.. equally non nonsensical)

Its a game, it has its own mood and feel that it is trying to embody, part of conveying that (in any medium not just a game) is setting expectations with the visual aesthetic... Was Sauron's crazy slotted helmet with tiny eye holes a practical piece of armor in the lord of the rings? Hell no but hes god damn Sauron and hes gonna look like an evil bastard... the devs have to use the tools they have to get the point across they intend...

Like i said above you cant take everything literally, the art is trying to express a sense of desperation and industrial 'just get it done' environment...
    If you want to say there's no reason for scratches, i ask you why should any blocks have paint in the first place? These parts came out of a smelter into an industrial assembler, who had the detail work done? who took the time to paint around the window frames and keep the lettering crisp?

Totally agree with Stardriver here, they are obviously going for more of a desperate industrial feel, there are no quality control officers with clipboards inspecting your paint job, no construction plan besides the one you make up for the task at hand... I'm not just saying that this is what i like, that is what these changes show they are striving for...

16. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

I love the fact that you, Keen team, are so open to comments, negative and positive. You ACTUALLY encourage it. To that I raise my glass. So there is plenty of room for the "No Scratches v/s Scratches" argument on armor. Each argument that I have seen is valid.. and made more valid because Keen wants to hear. They thank us for good and bad comments often enough. While obviously not their intent to let the community design that game or control the vision, they are open to input and willing to adjust... more so in the past when they were still early on. So keep up the scratched armor debate. They can listen, but not please us all.... or can they? Now that I think about it, if we only do first person view and they scratch our helmet visors as well as the regular glass and cameras, we won't be able to see the scratched armor. hmmm...
    BTW, can you put a buffer pad on the grinder and polish?

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, I believe I said... wait, I'll show you what I said:
    And remember we are talking about individual engineers placing blocks (at least in the beginning). Large welders were another unplanned addition to the game. The premise was and continues to be things are done by hand, and it's not always pretty.

I said it was perfect for my ships.
    [​IMG]
    I don't build pretty ships. I build working ships.
    --- Automerge ---
    True. That's why they made an interior block. Just the one, but they made one. It has no scratches or dents.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

I liked the post because it was friendly but the plates are welded in place which would actually leave burn marks(likely no hammering in space) not scratches(but they can be whipped off in real life). They are also placed in zero-G. Not exactly clanking around on top of other things... Just sayin,

And your ship example(cool btw) is hugely modded parts. This doesn't mean that they are a good fit functionally or aesthetically in terms of vanilla game play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Again, the premise is that the engineer is not especially careful, nor worried about causing a scratch or dent. The engineer is only worried about the damn thing holding together. Good paint job doesn't make it work better.

It's almost entirely mods, but the glass is vanilla. I could've used modded clear glass, but it would have ruined the look.

20. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I have a saying about things like the geocentric sun: Realism Was Never An Option.
    This is a blockbased building game in which the player's avatar is hauling around 2,5m³ blocks of metal in it's butt, places them down out of nowhere and welds them together with a magic blowtorch that'd make the Sonic Screwdriver roll it's eyes if it had any. I don't need every little bit to make sense when it's a technical limitation preventing that bit from making sense. If it was possible to do a proper sun i'd very likely ask for one, but it isn't, so i'm happy with second best. (btw, i do turn off sun rotation in most of my important building-worlds on the ground that it makes working much easier.)
    The visual style is "unacceptable" because they have full control over it - the game isn't going to burn any computers if they leave out the scratches, and especially with the glass it's not so much a case wanting something new but wanting the old version back that actually worked. Both code-wise and for it's intended purpose.

This particular setting is one of building new things. The Assembler doesn't take one final pass to hold a cat to all sides of the fresh paint when it produces a block, and if it does i demand a cat pet.

Says who? The game doesn't have a story, and that's quite by design. YOUR Treebeard my be standing on his last leg - MY Treebeard may or may not be just on the way through. It's a Sandbox, not a storydriven RPG.

The Industrial Assembler. The coat of paint might be anything from insulation to corrosion-protection to showcasing faction allegiance at a glance. And if you don't WANT colored blocks: the game DOES have a default color, the ugly dark grey you get in each and every new world or when you return the color palette to Default.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  21. Dicarus Apprentice Engineer

Those retextures look really nice. When's the realistic sound coming?

22. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

So many things still to come:
    • Realistic sounds
    • Better AI - Right now, the AI is basically Leeroy Jenkins in drone-form. It comes right at you and hopes for the best (and then crashes or gets stuck into anything blocking its direct path)
    • Better planet performance
    • DX11 models (at least they're showing those off now)
    • Better oxygen/airtight performance
    • Random pirate base spawns on planets
    • Better tech progression (to perhaps give planets more purpose)
    • New UI - Mentioned by marek in live streams months ago
    • Improved Renderer - mentioned a couple weeks ago in an update video
    • Cleaner glass!
    • Stable multiplayer (sync issues with rotors, pistons, landing gears, invisible objects. Random shaking, etc)
    • Lighting fixes (6 months later, and everything is still full-bright on planets...)
    I'm sure there's plenty more... but that's all I can think of right now. It'll all come eventually, if Keen don't go bankrupt before they get there. :p

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Chris Cranstoun Trainee Engineer

Is anyone having issues with zooming in/out via the mouse wheel after this patch? I searched but found nothing on this since 2015 (maybe there is a fix I can't find). Mouse scrolls fine in other apps, but won't zoom in when in game.

Update: Turns out you have to hold Alt when zooming? Is this new?

24. WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

That's not entirely true though. There's at least one inspector: me! I'm judging my own handiwork and finding it to be shoddy.

I disagree. There's no technical reason why they're picking this artistic direction over any other, it's simply related to ambiance. As such, we're not asking for planets all over again here, just an alternative to buoy up our enjoyment of the game a bit. Except for the windows; some of us are having serious trouble seeing through them as it is. Unleash the squeegee.

But... Batman was quite chipper during the silver age. Probably as a defense mechanism for all the zany high jinks that the DC universe threw at him, but still, there was a time where Batman was silly.

Also, at the risk of sounding a bit pretentious, (hasn't stopped me yet!) I thought the core premise was that we're engineers who are usually in space. I don't mean to belittle your argument regarding the developer's intended atmosphere, but I feel like we're elevating minute details above their station here.

I hope so too. It would only be fair.

Blasted railroading GMs!

I believe that particular shade is called "SAGE".

25. Corundum Guy Apprentice Engineer

In the end, KSH have to choose one look as vanilla/default. And whether that look is scratched, pristine or in between some of us will, inevitably, prefer the look that wasn't chosen, either generally or for some of our builds.

The good thing is that we are, individually, not stuck with that choice. There will be mods, and once the game is finished these ought to be much more reliable (and even if a purely cosmetic mod breaks, nothing blows up).

So I'm basically fine with any look KSH chooses for vanilla, as long as it a) makes SE look attractive to potential new players and b) does not impede gameplay (glass ought to be transparent, functional blocks visually distinct etc.).

If we got blocks starting with a flawless paintcoat that becomes scratched/dull/faded with exposure/damage that would be terrific, of course. And I wouldn't mind a starting texture selection in the color picker menu with that. But right now none of that is even planned (to my knowlede), so I'll cross my fingers... but I won't hold my breath.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Lexstock Trainee Engineer

So all of this is cool and all. I support you devs bringing out patches every week since launch. But eh... When are you going to fix multiplayer? The game has been out for 2,5 years or so now. And we still don't have a decent multiplayer.
    I would to love to see more updates on the multiplayer :)

I've had the game since launch, and I honestly don't enjoy playing it anymore. Because I always end up fighting the game because my ships are either to big, or the multiplayer netcode can't handle my designs.

New block models are cool and all, but multiplayer and dedicated servers is where the future of this game lies. Please focus on it more, or at least update us more on the progress on it..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Needye Trainee Engineer

Please, we like the new textures except for the scratch and dirty things. They are badass without it.
    I put it simple: we build ships, some of us also consider ourself artist in this aspect.
    How would you feel if everytime you make a pattern or a drawing someone come with sticky hands and fill up it with chocolate stamps?
    That's the feeling you'll are making us to wear if you add this rusty new style to the game.

28. Imperator476 Trainee Engineer

If everything were to look pristine with no scratches or damage or anything the game would look terrible and boring. These blocks are supposed to be making up space craft. Contrary to popular belief space is not empty, there are tons of small particles and rocks out there that would hit the hull of a ship and damage the paint. That's just how it is. I for one am for the more realistic and less bland scratched blocks.

29. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Am i the only one waiting for:
    - Switchable toolbar tabs
    - Switchable toolbar items
    And especially names/description above toolbar items.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Needye Trainee Engineer

So following your logic now space engineers is bored and terrible, what makes me think what are you doing here :tu:.
    But you are true, space is not empty, but also it isnt static. Dust in space is likely to be travelling at thousands of metters for seconds, so we can difference 2 types of dust, the small one like hydrogen that only crashes in the hull that makes radiation, (wich is absorbed and is innofensive, no scraches) and the big one that is like earth dust (wich is more uncommon and every space-agency is worried about because is unpredictable and causes partially desintegration in the space-craft, also no scraches sorry).
    So be happy you have your dust simulation an is called Clang:eek::eek::eek::eek:.
    In atmospheric enviroments the dust is more or less static and it can cause scraches but after certain time, not after you build the fucking ship, and only in the exterior, internal blocks would be unnafected.
    But there if after this you still say that scraches are realistic, then tell me why arent you making a factory to make scratchs to cars to be more fancy irl. I never have heard about one (sometimes about business that do the oposite thing remove scraches), so you will be rich puting scraches to cars as no other have ever done:pbjt::pbjt::pbjt:.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.