Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.151 DEV - Realistic Sounds, Improvements and Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

Amazing. Haven't checked out the dev branch since its debut, downloading it now. Loving what I've heard from the new sounds so far.

2. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Looks like someone already has! :woot:
    http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/ctd-after-reloading-a-save-with-realistic-sound.7387069/

3. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

wait wouldn't it then be possible to put multiple remote control blocks on multiple grids so that they would work? I'm hoping this is possible.

4. STK2008 Trainee Engineer

FFS looks like I need to leave SE for about another 6 months then come back and see if any thing has changed.
    As it is now FPS is terrible near or on planets.
    Constant crashes to desktop.

See ya all in 6 months.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

Does anyone know how to trap errors at keen? i mean really! test for null before using the instance of the object. apparently it is null on occasion.
    Code:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyEntity3DSoundEmitter.SelectEffect()
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyEntity3DSoundEmitter.Update()
      at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyFunctionalBlock.UpdateSoundEmitters()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MyAudioComponent.UpdateBeforeSimulation()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.UpdateComponents()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.Update(MyTimeSpan updateTime)
      at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Update()
      at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.UpdateInternal()
      at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.RunSingleFrame()
      at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.FixedLoop.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Run>b__0()
      at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.GenericLoop.Run(VoidAction tickCallback)
      at Sandbox.Engine.Platform.Game.RunLoop()
      at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Run(Boolean customRenderLoop, Action disposeSplashScreen)
      at SpaceEngineers.MyProgram.Main(String[] args)
    Edit: I bet if the people that have said that their save is corrupted would find this at the end of their log file as well. this should have been fixed in the friday update.

P.S: Disabling Realistic sounds allowed me to load my world.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. titan88 Trainee Engineer

Hello Iv run into an issue with the remote block after the update this week as it does not want to move faster than 30-40 meters per second when heading to a designated GPS location. It also wont allow thruster overides, to the point of limiting the power of entire groups of engines to prevent speeding over this limit.
    I was curious if this is a temporary issue or if autopilot has been nerfed in some way.

7. Marneus Apprentice Engineer

It ended being that. I gues I'll have to wait a month before I enjoy the new sounds.

8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

Well. Most of the grease.

I don't like the Realistic Sounds - they make me nauseous. (nausious? nausecous?) They feel like i'm wearing waterfilled earmuffs. It's like the audio-version of the DX 11 Blindfold...
    BUT
    since they're a World Option i don't see a reason to really mind them. As long as they STAY optional.
    I DO enjoy the fact that Arcade seems to be the default setting at the moment, as inconsequential as that might be.

- The thing with Thrusters seems interesting. It's going to make a lot of people happy if it does what i think it does. Unfortunately, it doesn't do what i think it does so that's kind of a bummer.

- Descratched Glass: i approve.
    It's still a bit smudged and one side is still tinted but at least you can use ONE side again. I quite enjoy this change.

- G Screen Menu improved - the second big one. I like the changes done. They're not necessarily enough changes - i still desire individual blocks for Grouping Blocks like the humble Armor Cube, or at least the ability to rebind the Mousewheel (i checked but couldn't find that - if i missed it someone tell me). Still, looked as as a stand alone change the G menu is now showing all blocks at least in SOME form, and that's a great change for one week.
    The Search Bar is working again, so while i wouldn't say it's completely done i most certainly approve of all of that was changed here this week. I'd say we're.... 85 to 90-ish percent there? Sounds fair to me.

- Fixing the Ghost Block's distance resetting has fixed one of my two biggest annoyances with the new building system (the unavailable sub blocks being the other one). I still would like to not have that block in front of me at all times but at least i can push it out to the max distance now, and it's going to reach just about any grid i look at again. I can work with this.

- "fixed an issue seeing through block" Awesome. Now go find and fix the other ones ;)

- I've found a "Show Building Size Hint"-option in the menu. THANK you. It was quite annoying.

So, all in all i see nothing offensive in this update - it has, in fact, fixed almost all points on my list within a single patch (more or less, see above).
    I see that. I recognize that. I appreciate that. I thank Keen for that.

But.

That "Returning "place station block" back ingame"-bit isn't going to help. No, not even a little bit.
    Well, okay, maaaybe a little bit. It saves throwing down a Cockpit, setting it to owner ME (why does that not happen automatically in Creative SP, btw?) and turning it into a Station. Okay, fine, you got me, i'm Heisenberg and i judged that button prematurely. The problem is: you're going to do this CONSTANTLY anyway and that button saves you that process exactly once per grid.
    Let me elaborate.
    Making a Ship grid a Station grid isn't the problem with Station Voxel Support. That has NEVER been the problem with Station Voxel Support.
    The problem with Station Voxel Support is that it turns Station grids into Ship grids. "No duh" you might say but many people don't get the extent of this: even if you HAVE an unsupported Station grid (like the one you're spawning with the new re-added button) - as soon as you cut something off it turns into a Ship again - BOTH grids, the big one, the small little edge you cut off, it doesn't matter.

Check out just how much time dies just to keep everything a Station grid.

You can ancor the mother grid inside an Asteroid, yeah, but you're going to have to do that first - no spawning of Asteroids over grids to ancor them when something that shouldn't float away starts floating away:

In many cases you're not going to make it a Station via Control Panel either anymore because Ship grids are affected by physics - and therefore they like to float. Oooh, they float. Which means they like to move around - the tiniest touch can send a block floating, meaning moving, and you can't turn moving Ships into Stations - the grid has to be static (the irony is chilling, ain't it) for that button to work (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrSvd7XWgAA-Tsz.jpg:large). This can lead to situations like this:

(I've noticed A LOT of grids phasing through other grids lately, btw.)

How is this of benefit to ANYone? It doesn't benefit me, it doesn't benefit the people who're already using Station Voxel Support (since literally nothing changes for them, neither good nor bad) and all it really does is point out how much of a pain in the butt SVS is when you're trying to work with Stations. It even screws with engineering unless you try to tie EVERYTHING down with Asteroids (which, again, you gotta plan ahead like a mad person beforehand since you can't just spawn them over the grid). An "engineering" example of SVS going against the core aspect of SE (building) would be the way i build ring and saucer-shaped structures; see what happens if you don't tie your Stations down to Asteroids in one of the above videos.
    "But Rotal, why don't you just PUT an Asteroid in there beforehand?"
    Because it's a Station grid and i should not have to. It's supposed to be stationary. That's the Station grid's entire point. And even if i did it wouldn't stop any of the debris from floating away. Making circles is a primitive example; Auto Delete might fly on that one but i can't have Auto Delete on when i work on something where i might wanna reattach what i cut off, like some decorative greeble or a Warp Nacelle or a pre-designed Auto Door using blueprints.
    THIS is why the new "Spawn Station" is not sufficient to fix the problems of Station Voxel Support. In fact, in all honesty, it doesn't even try to fix them. That button can not, MUST not be the only adressing of these issues. There is no better solution than to bring back Station Voxel Support as a World Option so we can finally turn it off again. At least in Creative.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I think besides everything you said, there is also the issue (for lower end systems at least) that static/station grids were much lighter on performance.

I can't imagine how laggy it'd get when something similar to the size of the USS Amanda Tapping was to be cut in half during construction then start floating away as shown in some of your previous vids.

Removing the "Station Voxel Support" option was a silly move and I really hope they bring it back. Perhaps give it a simpler name while we're at it. Like "Static Stations".

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Spets Master Engineer

instead of using a cockpit just paste a control button... just sayn

11. megapro Trainee Engineer

In case you investigate this any further could you tell us which mod caused it? I'm using 150+ mods finding the one that breaks the game is allways a pain in the ass^^

12. Sanquira Trainee Engineer

I fixed it 6 days ago.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shuro Apprentice Engineer

The real question is: Was it in the hotfix / is it in todays patch? :p

14. Sanquira Trainee Engineer

It will be out with today's patch.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mr Jamimo Trainee Engineer

BUG: there is no sound in the DEV branch for some reason

16. Legotyler03 Trainee Engineer

Bug report: As of this update for realistic sound, the audio sliders keep resetting to zero, or the left side, and when I move them to full output, I still hear nothing. When I click the "Okay" button to save the selected options, the sound will again reset to their "off" position. I hope that you can look into this, as I was really looking forward to hearing the new sound system.

Thanks, and I love what you guy are doing at Keen Software House!

17. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

if you cannot move volume sliders then it means audio engine was not loaded correctly (you can confirm this in the log). We are still working on finding the source of this problem.

18. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Nice update! No more scratches, yay!!

19. Legotyler03 Trainee Engineer

Okay, it's been a while and I can't find where the log is located. I did the most basic testing, and the Stable Branch is completely fine, maybe some code was lost in certain copies when it was downloading the DEV Branch? And yeah, if you could tell me where to find the log so I can confirm that'd be great.

20. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

By default it is located here: C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\SpaceEngineers.log

21. Legotyler03 Trainee Engineer

Okay, I'm not sure if you saw the post about the problem with audio for Stable branch after the new sound system was available for it, but apparently something doesn't allow for anything higher than 48gz? Hz? Something like it. Anyways, it's working and I think it'd be worth it to put that information in a video if others have the same problem.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.