Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.156 DEV - Entity Initialization Parallelization, Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kagee Trainee Engineer

Nice!

2. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Well, now that is annoying.. welp my performance halved since last night while I was playing!! I now have 7fps .58-.65 sim, in my world that I had closer to 15fps .8-1.0sim. And a funny little bug happened as well. When I loaded my world, I got 3fps, I could barely move. I also noticed the textures on my ship were sparkling around like a rave! Upon further inspection, the surface of the ship was very wavy.. like my projector was on, but it couldn't be, because I turned that off a LONG time ago, the last time projectors caused me a .01sim nightmare for a week a few months ago.. and sure enough.. looked in the control panel.. and it was OFF. BUT it WAS projecting my ship anyway on-top-of itself. So, I unchecked keep projection after welding, the copy disappeared and I got up to 7fps. YAY!! But, seriously.. THAT shouldn't have happened, it WAS OFF!! faff
    Here's another bug to add to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers!!
    --- Automerge ---
    Fwiw, I let the game play itself for a while, haven't touched it, and now I get 8fps .68-.77sim...woohoo :woot: SE is just so unpredictable...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I wonder how long until the people playing on single thread game servers start complaining that there is no improvement when copy and pasting (as Space Master), ships spawning, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. w0lf3y Apprentice Engineer

this Parallelization thing, will it help with ships falling apart due to rotors detaching on paste?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Is that a big fancy word for multi-threading? If so (and, frankly even if not) WOO-HOO! That is a humongous step in the best possible direction in my book. Keep up the good work KSH. Can't wait to try this out this weekend.

6. Morgan Hart Trainee Engineer

This looks great but I cant load my saves. I disabled mods and it still says "world file corrupt unable to load" I can only get a freshly made world to load. i was just playing earlier today before the update. nothing weird happened since then.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. The Mechanic Trainee Engineer

Dammit! I was using those loading pauses to help me locate derelict ships out in the depths of space. Now what will I do!?! Why you do dis keen!?? Whyyyy?

I'm just kidding I love you guys. Thanks for the optimizations and the constant teasers of the new blocks. Y'all better deliver on those teasers soon though, I'm getting blue-balls over here waiting. :p

8. Jimmacle Trainee Engineer

Erm, ME is less fantasy than SE because it's based at least loosely on history while SE is based on speculation about the future :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. capnbeef Trainee Engineer

hi thanks for your hard work. make multiplayer better thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If parallelization is possible, then wouldn't it be technically possible to have each player on a multiplayer server in his/her own instance of a thread then merge objects into one thread if the players get too close to each other? Copying grids from one instance to another?

11. Forgi LaGeord Trainee Engineer

http://xkcd.com/1172/ ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Devon_v Senior Engineer

What is "google sized"? I have a two year old i5 with 8GB RAM and an RX 480 and I can get 60FPS on maximum voxel settings on planets. Even with my previous R9 270X I could do 40 @ medium.

It is indeed. It specifically refers to multiple threads working together on the same task. In this case the grids are divvied up amongst several threads which set them up and then set them aisde for the main thread to collect.

I've thought this possible all along. I don't think player-based is the way to go though, rather dynamic "sectors" based on the distribution of grids.
    --- Automerge ---
    If anyone was curious, the loading (not pasting) changes have absolutely no meaningful effect on worlds with 220 mods running. ;p

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

@Ronin1973 That is not how threading works unfortunately and certainly, you should never have that many threads running at the same time :) Having a new thread for every player or even a sector, in addition to the base threads, would absolutely wreak havoc on even the highest grade CPU's available right now. The point of running threads is not just spreading workload, it's achieving that workload in the most efficient order possible...and that cannot be done with lots of threads clogging up the cycles.

Basically, idea is to do as much as you can with a variety of threads but keeping the number of threads low. Otherwise you will end up hurting the performance of your game more than if it was single-threaded. Careless threading is a highly warned about danger for programmers for many reasons, even beyond what I've stated here.

With all that said, the addition of parallel threads is a huge step forward for the game. (expect lots of severe bugs that will need to be fixed as more is introduced though)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  14. Sufficient Trainee Engineer

Not even the jump drives will be safe from the scratching menace

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

I know.. the scratches are starting to get a tad ridiculous, but, I guess that's what you get when you reuse the same texture over and over again to save space, when said texture looks like I ran my car through a wash chocked full of forks and knives!! :D

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Scoot Trainee Engineer

-fixed missile turrets aiming (damaging nearby grids or trying to shoot through grids)

thank you!

17. zdzier Apprentice Engineer

I made the door happen! Finally!
    I dont support gatling reload. Current planes have a very nice feeding system, that doesnt take breaks for reload.

18. StarCore Trainee Engineer

@flexx Its fine on the graphics card side, but the amount of RAM required is just ridiculous and bottlenecks everything. It takes me 10-15 minutes to load a fresh planet world with 8gb and someone with 12gb is telling me that, even if it helps, its still not playable properly. My pc can run crysis 3 on ultra settings way more easily than it can run SE, and thats just ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

What!? You made what door happen where!?!?
    In regards to the gatling reload thing, I guess I can agree, I understand it was done for "balance?" purposes, but really, it seems like it'll just be hassle, and give meteors enough of a wiggle room to get some errant shots in..
    In the end, the only result I can see is people just building more turrets to make up for the reload freeze.. thereby just promoting more lag..
    Somehow.. I don't think they really thought this one through.. go figure..
    --- Automerge ---
    Yeah.. 12gb? Try 16gb like me.. and still run out of ram to a ctd a few hours ago.. 3 times.. again..

Memory utilization in this game is still a joke tbh..
    Here's to beta optimization!! *sips*

20. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

They are. Every fixed bug helps with multiplayer issues, and they're working hard behind the scenes to fix MP in particular. It's just not something that's going to happen over night. Keep in mind - SE isn't finished yet and while it's not a young game anymore three-ish years is still below average for game development.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Looking good guys, nice to see some of the results of the hard work that's been going on parallelization.

22. Harrekin Master Engineer

I could load Rotal's scale model of a Starfleet Galaxy Class ship in about 20 seconds...

You my friend need a SSD.

And I've never used more than 6GB of RAM playing this game.

Yeah, but with the parallelisation work that's going on it only further goes to show that the game is content complete and that's it now, bug fixes and polishing is all that's left apart from the new block models...

Amidala's eyes are watering up because new content will be mods only.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. chrisb Senior Engineer

If it does mean that, its great.

I ran 'Speccy' to check on the cpu usage, bare in mind I don't have much experience in checking cores much. But all the cores seemed to be working fairly evenly. Now I have no idea if that is how to check the cores, but its the way I did it..:eek:ops:
    Its because a large part of the community asked for them to be taken off windows. Now they're getting their own back and adding them to everything else...:woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Joži Trainee Engineer

Well RX 480 Isn't average graphic card. I checked benchmarks and it is comparable to GTX 970 and the 270X is still more than average card. But I have i5, 740M and playing on 10-15FPS with low settings on planets. I know that it is just average laptop card but I played many games with better graphic like AC Syndicate, BF4... on medium setting with 25+FPS. I know if you have good machine you don't care too much about performance optimization update but not everybody have or can buy $900+ laptop/$600+ desktop :).

I hope the main focus will be on fixing MP bugs first and then planet optimizations;)

25. StarCore Trainee Engineer

I'm not talking about graphics card. This game has almost no textures and the polygon count isn't that high. The GC is not the problem, RAM is. This game is a RAM black hole. If some people can't run it smoothly with 12 / 16 Go, I really would like to know how you managed to run with with 8 Go. A SSD might help indeed, but an SSD is barely twice as fast as a good mechanical disk, not 100 tims faster. Also when the RAM is full, it bottlenecks everything, even if you have the biggest CPU and GC on earth. And not using 100% of the RAM doesn't mean that there's enough RAM. Your computer will never let you use 100% of the RAM, no matter how much shit you are running simultaneously.
    There's not a single game out there that requires so much RAM, not even the most recent and resource intensive games. But you can't really expect things to work out well when you develop a memory / cpu intensive game using C#... -_-

26. Joži Trainee Engineer

Ehm I have 12GB of ram and there was memory leaks in 1.55 but they fixed it and I am not using more than 8GB ram now so I dont think it's ram problems. also CPU is working on 60-90%. The result for me is that it's mostly GPU expensive ... I think the planet surface isnt properly LODed or isn't enough LODed on low graphic settings because when I am looking at the mountain which is ~10-20 km in front of me I have much worse FPS than when I am looking on flat surface. Also when I am using some external lights on ship or even light on suit I see some FPS leaks.

27. Harrekin Master Engineer

Lol, you're joking right?

Twice as fast?

In sequential read/writes the SSD is about 4x faster, for non sequential read/writes it's about 10x faster.

The latter is the more common.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Korfio Trainee Engineer

When you reach the point of discussing SSD to compensate for an application hogging RAM, you are focusing on the wrong issue. StarCore is correct. There is serious optimization needed on the RAM side. I actually went from 8GB to 16GB on my machine, just to play this game. Let's hope the optimizations continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Mr. Synnystr Trainee Engineer

Alright...
    Now, what exactly did the Hotfix do?
    You guys really should be in the habit of reporting those changes as well as the weekly patches by now, don't you think?

30. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

I like those improvements. Faster World load times you say? Faster copying and pasting? Looks very nice. Can't wait for more of those fixes. Love that new Jump Drive model.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.