Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.162 DEV - Steam Achievements, Raycast Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

If the normal rotor is to have no more side mounting points, what's the point of having those?
    You could as well remove the normal rotor and only keep the advanced rotor.
    But if you do so, Expect a lot of rage (some part of it would be from me. I like to be able to attach things on the side of rotors. It is really useful for compact builds)

edit : Apparently the rotors will still have side mounting points. I'm relieved.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. Krypt Junior Engineer

Oh, it was a rotor... Actually, this is "disturbing" part of redesign. It will broke huge part of creations. And almost all of player's solar arrays.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

"plan.......it."
    my sides have launched into orbit.

also what exact is Raycasts function?
    something for cameras to measure distance or movement?
    will it be used to stop turrets shooting though their own grid because raycast has something to do with line of sight?

4. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Guys i think that thats just the rotor head at the end there

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

I hope nearing the end of all the fancy blocks a whole video is just detected to slow panning fade in fades outs with that music playing.
    a whole video of just teased content.

6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Dedicated Rotor-Trick-Interior-Block when?

[​IMG]

In other news: surely the Tapping.... aw.... :(

Better luck next week, i guess.

Edit: oh sweet merciful Luna that Flight Seat is hideous. What is that, one of these gokarts they have for the elderly or overweight at american supermarkets? An industrial treadmill for lazy-people?

Official updated Keen-Current-Blocks-Mod please, yes?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Devon_v Senior Engineer

It allows the camera and sensor blocks to "see" objects in the world and return that data to a programmable block without just handing the PB a pointer to the grid's data which it could hang on to no matter how far away the object moved. Previously scripts could basically just collect pointers to objects and know their location and state no matter the distance or LoS, now they actually have to maintain range and vision to keep "scanning" the object. It fixes cheating and makes sensors behave more realistically.

Edit: It also includes the ability for server operators to alter the amount of raycasting that is allowed per tick or even disable it to mitigate its effect on simspeed. Sensors were previously either allowed or not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nosocalypse Trainee Engineer

Please, add a button to return your head to center in cockpit view!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Seeing this avatar i need to rethink my picture-choosing decisions... maybe i could do something risqué... explosed Warp Coils maybe...

The correct number is 47 and you damn well know that.
    While i don't care one way or another my 3764 hours are indeed looking at the 0 hours played-progress of the 150 hour achievement with a lack of understanding too.

10. HaedesMC Trainee Engineer

How long have you been having this problem? For us it started last Wednesday, just before the update, which is perplexing, but we might have not been working on the ground structures for some time before that (and only on ships). What we have determined is that it only seems to happen if we place blocks that touch voxels. If we stay away from the voxels, then it seems to work OK (and it doesn't always happen when we place a block touching voxels). Also, we've observed this problem in both dedicated servers and hosted client servers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

I want to congratulate on the speech this time in the video, simply because the first mentions of fixes clearly outlined what has been done, by adding slight specifics in the wording ("on a grid where a sensor is placed", and describing the cause of the bug for the thrusters) without overcomplicating the narrative.
    On the other hand, I am also happy, that you can use words like LOD, parallelization, or raycasting in a video for the community, it really tells much to assume people being interested, it shows a trust in the community, compared to sugarcoated cryptic news i hear from some other games, where neither the apprentice nor the master understand a single word.

Really happy to see multiplayer is tested in the video, seeing you improve close proximity netcode (as that's probably what it's showing). I also hope the abstraction of the sandbox itself also gets better, once the corner case of every player meeting in the same collision layer has been ironed out, so players far away from each other, without some kind of ingame linkage, can skip simulation and network traffic. This truly shows you guys invest into this, and I even look forward to learn from your code-solution of this rather infamous barrier in sandbox like games. I also hope, the rewrite irons out the few bugs where actions from a client affects the host player where it shouldn't.

Especially since I nowadays playtest robocraft a bit for fun, and occasionally some survivals, I miss playing fluid mp in Space Engineers. It is basicly the only ingredient I really miss, as I am sure, ingame fun and balance will arise soon after this is possible. Because I firmly believe, good single player fun and better balance in stuff like weapons comes more naturally, if mp is rock solid.

And as every time: The DS part of the engine being cross-platform would be a wonderful surprise. and a working linux ds would open mac/*nix ports of the client later on easy!

As for the PBR models, I personally could not care less, so I have no critics there personally. I understand the comments tho :) I personally don't mind, I am sure there will be cool things and bad things.

12. L0v0lup Trainee Engineer

We also have the problem only when it touches voxels :(
    This started after the last patch on thursday. We havent found a workaround.. I think it has nothing to do with mods. Well do we need a new world? (havent tried it yet)..

13. Lord Wraith Apprentice Engineer

Never said it was about getting my money's worth, so bin that attitude pal, as for missing me, i would not miss you if you dropped of the face of the earth for good, i play the game because i like it, but since newbies like you come along and say "HEY WE DON'T WANT YOU", well the rest of us who play don't need people like you.....as for the achievements, i'm alittle bit P.Oed because it seemed before the weekly update, i had got 7 of the achievements already, but since today they have disappeared, so do us all a favour and wined your neck in

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

Achievements are flawed... I got a whole bunch of them for some 'Survival" play... most of which I did not achieve at all. But it is a cool addition.

Any fix for game crashing when deleting LCDs?

And just to be a smart ass.... Do those new Rotors (Looks AWESOME... really hope the scratched paint is an OPTION) come with extra explosive power? LOLOL

15. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

raycast is an invisible 3d line from some point, reporting what it hits first in the 3d world, a helper function for programming; in this case I assume coming out of the camera going in the direction it faces. It will most likely help scripts determine what you are looking at with the camera, or abusing the camera to be a line thin sensor block :)

the word really means what it describes: you cast a ray, and it tells you what it hits (maybe even everything it hits).

• Like Like x 1
  16. tharkus Junior Engineer

Nice update ! oh those new models looks so cool.
    Thanks REXXAR !

17. halipatsui Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

There's a white astronaut doing some breakdance in there! .D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. JasonG Trainee Engineer

so can you guys fix lcd screens having the wrong aspect ratio? i cant see the bottom of the screen of many scripts, like artificial horizon. Also increased sensor range please?

20. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

yeah i saw that as well.

are we going to be getting some mmo style /dance commands? :3

ether that or he had his jetpack on with dampers off and was doing the plank spinning the with mouse.

21. Grape_Ape Trainee Engineer

Stop! Continue....

22. JasonG Trainee Engineer

Yeah, no connection points on sides of rotors. You know mech people will be infuriated and possibly stop playing right?
    --- Automerge ---
    raycast is a graphics feature, it allows realistic reflections (like a glass bottle that looks real) I assume they are implimenting it to have live camera feeds displayed on lcds (as created by Trysis)

23. QuesterD Trainee Engineer

Raycast is not a graphic feature lol

Raycast is sending out a ray from a Origin in a Direction and fetch all hit Objects, this is used for shooting Guns and Determine who is hit or when the player leftclicks to check where he is looking at/what he wants to interact with

To be honest I think this game is dead, they new features might take a few hours to implement and about MP Code nobody speaks except from that 40k $ Competition in which I don't really believe
    Bugs Rotors Pistons are completely ignored tho

• Disagree Disagree x 8
  24. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I pray to lord clang you are right.
    It is time to start sacrificing ships boys.
    Everyone dig out rotors, landing gears and pistons to summon lord clang to help us keep mounting points.

25. sankti Trainee Engineer

that pesky workshop is more clang than SpaceEngineers ...

26. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

That was so much fun!! I was there we all started breakdancing!! You just turn jetpack on, flip upside-down an thrust "up" while flailing like a lunatic. You should watch Xoc's stream, we were all having a blast, people started drilling below the medbay trying to trap people in a hole, people started spawning in as spiders and wolves. Actually I found out it's way easier to get out of a hole as a spider that day!! :woot: 50 player mp is just so much fun, if not for the crazy serversim, I couldn't fly up. It's whatever though. Near the end, someone spawned in a ship and slowly everyone started shooting at it!! The sound of nearly 50 people shooting at once was Deafening!! :woot: Ahh such good times!! :D

27. mjc4wilton Trainee Engineer

"And the new models are even nearer to completion"
    My reaction:
    NO!!!!!! HEMMEH!!!! I DON'T WANT THEM! THEIR UGLY!!! I'VE SEEN THEM ALL PUT TOGETHER AND NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!! And the rotor.... that will break many ships because of mountpoints.... add an option for the new models. PLEASE!!!! The poor people's computers with GTX650's and stuff are going to DIE from this. Believe me. Some people can just barely run the game now but they must modify the registry and their windows installation to get it to work. DONT DO IT!!! I'm telling you. This would be the worst thing for the company since Miner Wars. Just, take a step back and ask the community more now that we've seen them all put together and seen what happens.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  28. Jimmacle Trainee Engineer

Why would they add an option to disable the vanilla models? The current ones were never going to be the final models, they're all temporary. The fact that you're literally whining like a child and telling the developers that something that they have been testing and you haven't even touched is going to hurt performance makes you look like an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

doulbe click running is nice, no more (unconciously) crushing the mouse and sore finger lol
    --- Automerge ---
    ikr? the renderer already suports some,if not all the features that will be needed. they've mentioned at times they are at least aware of poly counts, so these are some fancy textures- that shouldn't be too bad anyway :woot:

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. thecyberscorpion Trainee Engineer

The sensor changes look promising!

Xocliw - Awesome idea of adding the visual to the pun! haha

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.