Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.166 STABLE - Space Engineers Beta

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tal Raeth Trainee Engineer

Did not see a hotfix myself. Are you still on the dev branch?

2. Fercko Trainee Engineer

It seems they made some changes to the glass reflection...at least to me it appears to be much cleaner now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

You probably had 'permadeath' turned on in the world's settings, which means if you respawn somewhere else than a medbay (i.e., a new respawn ship or just the suit), you lose access to your structures, factions and I believe also coordinates. As to why you would have to respawn in your private single player world, that's possibly an issue with the update, or maybe you've accidentally turned on 'start on respawn screen'. A quick suggestion from me would be to tick the checkbox of 'reset ownership' in the world's options, find your grids and claim them again.
    I'm just guessing, though.

4. Eol Trainee Engineer

Did not have any problem with today's hotfix... but I'd like to know what it is ! It was like 100+ Mo, so I believed graphics changed some way.

@Fercko : looks like you should enable FXAA, you'd get rid of this aliasing without performance losses ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

If I really was a "fanboy" (BS really), I'd be posting and marking "X" here all day (I'm not). And I already tried to get hired, but I needed some additional knowledge I don't have (considering my current specialization), no shame there.

If I think I won't change anyone's opinion by making a new "bible" or that I don't really have anything constructive to say, I just won't bother, unless I'm tremendously bored, so I just state my aseptic "X" of disagreement and move on.

Also, the now 8-days-old surgical scar in my buttcrack kind of discourages me from any efforts at concentrating on anything beyond having my ass not explode in pain. :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

I'm really liking this update so far. There are still some issues with interior lighting being offset or stuck in a point in space, but reloading the world seems to fix that. The overall game looks pretty great. OK, the armour blocks with the grey lining are not so friendly for my designs :D.. I've heard they are being reworked so all will be fine/

I'm usind the Disable Highlights mod and combined with the new blocks and recently the lighting, realistic sound etc, SE became incredible immersive. Those highlights though, they seem out of place and break the immersion very much. Without them, opening a simple door is almost a completely different experience! In the mean time I will use that mod, but it would be nice to have a check box in the game options. :)

7. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

I'm still on dev. I figured out how to download stuff from the workshop, without having to use steam itself, so I'm fine.

8. crashdemons Trainee Engineer

I have this same problem (v01.166.014). For people saying "this wasn't fixed in alpha", it definitely was working for a while in different ways.

I seem to remember being able to do this in different ways depending on version:
    • For a while we had a "new small ship" block which turned into an autolocked landing gear (and worked)
    • In a different version we had separate large/small landing gears which would autolock when placed exactly right.
    With the SSB removed and without the existing landing gear autolocking, we have a problem.
    Now in the current version there is no way to build a small ship with solid support as far as I can tell - except:
    • building off an existing small ship that's docked/locked.
    • building on the bottom of a large landing gear set to autolock (or rotor) (no small ship required)
    Annoying workarounds, but effective.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. JasonG Trainee Engineer

Keen just stated in the hotfix section of this post that they fixed the problem this guy is having.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Vanguard Trainee Engineer

I'm one of those peeps who check the news every Thursday with hope that I'll see a promising update that will prompt me to pick this game up once again and give it a go. I saw last Thursday's update, a good amount of content, some promising features and updates, so, today, I gave it a go.

I hate to say it, but... I was thoroughly disappointed. Just floating around and having a look at my base and ships, everything, and I mean everything, looks like shit. I've never seen a team of devs ignore the feedback of its community like I see here. The first thing that hit me was just the aesthetics of everything, mostly the armor... Arguably one of the most downloaded mods of all time is armor without edges. Now, all of the armor not only retains its exterior "edges", but is spammed with interior edges beyond belief, dirty ones no less. I swear the modelling/texture team just finished 2 weeks of youtube videos on how to make sci-fi panels look dirty and couldn't wait to put their amazing new skills to work. I'm going to jump into photoshop and scuff the living hell out of every edge I can find... yeaaaah.

The new models are okay, but just that. I had to seriously put my nose right up to them before I could appreciate any real difference, maybe it's been so long since I've played I forget what the old ones look like.

The LCDs are unreadable due to the blur put out by the intensity of the font. It's a futuristic space sim where the LCD technology is pre circa 1995.

Overlooking all of the aesthetics, and shaking my head, my next step was okay... I'll just play for awhile anyway and see if I can get back into it. That's when the next problem appeared. There's nothing to do. Other than sandbox style build some new cool designs in my head, from a survival point of view, I'm in no threat of anything. I don't have to do anything... I can go mine some more, without threat of anything, to build some new ships to defend myself from nothing, and collect some ice if I'm bored to feed the one and only thing that I can die from.

I'll give it a few more weeks and probably try it again, because I desperately want it to become what I hope it will become... fun and exciting, but I'm probably just kidding myself.

11. JasonG Trainee Engineer

So what kind of look do you prefere, because you do not give a reference of any thing to compare with, cus when you say the new models look like crap I have no idea what you are talking about cus they look great to me, did you expect them to be bigger or different in over all shape or some thing? clearly the armor blocks look like crap though

12. Vanguard Trainee Engineer

I said the new models look "okay", the "shit" comment was the 30,000 ft first impression view floating around my base, and yes, most of that comes from the armor looking like crap, which you seem to agree with. Considering 99% of my base is made of armor blocks, yeah, the first impression was that everything looked like shit.

13. Caatalyst Apprentice Engineer

I think this sort of negative comment doesn't really help move things forward. Keen do listen to their community and they've introduced changes / features to reflect this. While I agree the new armour blocks might be a little too much, I think the new blocks look amazing and I appreciate that a lot of time and effort probably went into redesigning them. The game looks and feels more immersive / less cartoony. Even though it is beta it still feels very buggy but I'm sure all will be ironed out in the coming months. I'm guessing you are looking for a survival experience, that will be coming i'm sure.

14. Vanguard Trainee Engineer

Negative or otherwise, how would they know how their community felt if I didn't post my experience? The first two responses I get... JasonG: "clearly the armor blocks look like crap though", and you, "While I agree the new armour blocks might be a little too much" and "Even though it is beta it still feels very buggy".

Talk about White Knighting, your first sentence defends the company like they can't do that themselves and need you, and then you echo my negative comments in the next breath minus the models which I didn't really throw under the bus too much... really!?

Tell me something, in all your experience with Keen and this game, I really would love to know, what exactly gives you the confidence and impression that "I'm sure all will be ironed out in the coming months"? Because I'd love to have whatever it is you're having...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

Interestingly, when I browsed the Medieval Engineers forum, I saw that almost all bug report topics have replies from testers or developers. I didn't see a single occasion of this in SE's recent bug reports. In fact I think I didn't see a single post from any developer since I joined, even though I browsed through some older topics too. This obviously doesn't mean they are not notified of problems and feedback (they could even read the forum themselves for what we know), but it's a bit weird for an indie studio.
    --- Automerge ---
    I agree that the game – even if you set aside all problems with it's 'physics' and 'multiplayer' – has a lot of things that just boggle the mind. The armor looks awful; but actually this is something I'm confident they'll improve a lot in the upcoming weeks, because with the other models and textures they already proved that they can do a very good job. :)

I'm planning to give a go to indie development myself (which is a bit laughable given I have no game development experience – only app development), and I was brainstorming for two hours yesterday with my partner about the basic concepts of the game. In that two hours we managed to solve the immersion issue of "just being dropped into an empty world from nothing"; the issue of not having goals after a very short time; the issue of not having resource sinks in the game; and the issue of later expanding an already existing game area without breaking immersion.

If somebody is interested, our take on the first issue was to base the story on arriving through a micro-wormhole to a barren solar system with the mission to colonize it, because of its richness of certain resources / anomalies / artifacts, all of which are very valuable to research. The micro-wormhole can only let through a very small sized space capsule, which explains why do we have to start from basically nothing. This story would make it less puzzling that we appeared in space, alone, while all of our technology obviously had to came from an advanced civilization. It would also explain the appearance of other players – the colonization could be competitive between nations/corporations. And the late game incentive/resource sink could be the unique artifacts that can be collected from the solar system and built into ships (they are partly trophies, partly functioning devices) – they could be stolen from other players, thereby serving as a resource sink due to the incentive to engage in cost-heavy battles for them. Moreover, we were thinking about some research tree with blueprints, all of which must be stored in computers, and the blueprints (along with other stored information, e.g. discovered locations of various objects) could be stolen by other players, making it much more interesting and unique to break into bases and ships. As for the expansion of the game area, other micro-wormholes could emerge or be discovered that would let through objects of a certain limited size, giving a challenge to players to built to specific dimensions if they wish to enter. This would also pose as a barrier to moving huge amounts of power/wealth to new worlds, thereby making new worlds more friendly to freshly joined players who are just starting to build. These emerging or discovered micro-wormholes could be stable or unstable, i.e. permanently collapsing after some time, or intermittently closing and opening for travel. Wormhole travel could have a nice animation while the game is loading the new world, so the game world wouldn't need to be seamless and dynamically loading/unloading, and it still wouldn't break the immersion. Some artifacts simply wouldn't be transferable through wormholes due to their size or other properties. And this is just a small part of the things we were talking about. Most of which are not technologically challenging to implement for a team.

(Maybe I'm pushing it a bit too far here, but if the game would have an online persistent universe, I can imagine the space master being visualized for other players as a mysterious ball of light whizzing around high speed, giving them a chill similar to what the 'Eye of Sauron' represented in LOTR. But not sure if this would align well with the sci-fi theme.)

Even if the above ideas are not all good, or not everybody’s cup of tea, it’s puzzling how a game with three years of development still doesn’t have any kind of immersion and late game elements built in. Obviously they’d need to come up with things that align with the sandbox nature of the game, and with the concept that the game is not strongly futuristic; but it can’t be that difficult to satisfy these conditions.

16. Fercko Trainee Engineer

Yeah the landing gear is buged but i have some suggestions how to build on planet and space untill it will be fixed ;)

In space construct a large connector and place a small one right above it as close as you can. After that build it place whatever block u want and a battery. Once powered the two connectors will attract each other and you can lock them. After that you can build whatever you like.
    [​IMG]
    On the planet it`s a little easier. Place a small landing gear, don`t finish it place two blocks on top an start to place 4x4x4x4 small armor block outwards keep in mind to keep it balanced. When done put a landing gear on each end then grind down the middle landing gear and armor block. It works fine i constructed rover`s and small ships with this method :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Vanguard Trainee Engineer

Gakhon, some really interesting ideas you bring to the table. I especially like the idea surrounding blueprints. We definitely need some form or tiering in SE. I think the idea is that certain elements such as platinum are less abundant or some perhaps only available in space, and therefore items requiring it are considering a higher tier, however, the resources still are too easy to come by, even if they are more sparse. Moreover, there are no tiers per say in the sense of Thurster I, II, III, each offering more power/acceleration.

In regards to your story line and multiplayer mechanic, there's always a challenges that presents itself which, honestly, I've rarely seen a solid solution to.
    In persistent universe style multiplayer games, there is always the issue of griefing and demolishing players who are not online. The big just get bigger, and the smaller have a really tough time starting out, making them leave the game. One of the solutions to this issue is a PvE style game, but it requires massive amounts of coding for AI and mechanics. The other solution is simply that the game is massively multiplayer enough there are enough people online within factions across various timezones to let the issue resolve itself. This requires big bucks and marketing pre-launch to be successful, which is generally out of a "indie" dev's hands. This is what plagues games such as Rust and ARK. In SE a years worth of work could go up in smoke in one night while you're sleeping... Perhaps you could make certain structures indestructible, and only the valuable resources and equipment could be plundered for example. Or make station armor extremely effective, making it less worthwhile to destroy the structure, so the player only has to rebuild his fleet and gather resources without having to redo a year of work.

Any thoughts on how you plan to tackle this in your new game? Best of luck to you and look forward to seeing a final product!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

Very good points there with regards to griefing! This was actually something we didn't manage to tackle. The only idea was to have some sort of cloaking – e.g. only physically touching the base would reveal that something is there. But at the same time it's hard to come up with any plausible explanation why this cloaking is only available when the player is offline. Because if it would be always available, probably everybody would use it all the time, and it would mess up the dynamics of the multiplayer. Maybe huge distances would help too, to a degree. I heard it quite a few times that on newer SE maps with 2-3 planets even dozens of people can basically never meet.

I think if I'd be anywhere close to any sort of implementation, I'd most likely try to find or do some market research about the priorities of the prospective player base: maybe it would turn out that the majority prefers only limited PvP, e.g. having some sort of shield to protect their bases. Or maybe it would tell us that there is a strong divide on how players would like to play, and that would give reasons to create distinct PvE and PvP multiplayer mode. BTW, how some RPG games with 'hardcore' mode (i.e. Path of Exile) solve the permanent death issue is to migrate the hardcore characters after dying into softcore, therefore preventing the complete loss of achievements. Maybe it would be viable to think about something similar when it comes to big bases and ships, although it's far from obvious how this could work in a game where ships and bases can have various sorts and degrees of damages...

19. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Nice hud... link to mod(s) please!

20. JasonG Trainee Engineer

I think his comment was valid, cus after first it just sounded like every thing looked like shit, but after the explanation it makes sense, most of it being armor and armor looking like shit

21. jemccro Apprentice Engineer

I use that HUD mod too: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428842256

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Echillion Senior Engineer

They say Ignorance is Bliss - I just think its a lack of manners or avoidance of the subject....

23. midspace Senior Engineer

I've been asking for access to the OS Voice Synthesis access in the ModAPI for a while, so we can have the game speak to you.
    This stuff is native to the operating system and would require very little to make available.

Adding a voice that sounds good... now that is another thing altogether. That may require licensing.
    I don't want Microsoft Sam.
    Unless you go with the prerecorded approach.

24. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

[/QUOTE]
    Adding a voice that sounds good... now that is another thing altogether. That may require licensing.
    I don't want Microsoft Sam.
    Unless you go with the prerecorded approach.[/QUOTE]

There are some amazing natural voices out there. SO I agree... Not the basic junk voices please. None, or decent. Additionally, in the 60's they came out with the movie, "2001: A Space Oddity". HAL (a play on IBM) was the AI on the ship. The voice was very human. At this point in life, I am actually disappointed that Stephen HAwking has not updated the voice for his Text to Speech tool he uses. Even the old Star Trek had better computer voice than some of the basics one out there.

25. odizzido Junior Engineer

The reason old star trek had a good human sounding voice is because it was a human trying to sound like a computer. Ms sam and such sound terrible because they are computers trying to sound human.

26. Nom Trainee Engineer

While I enjoy many of the visual changes, I do not like the look of the new 2x1 armor slopes with the triangle design on them. I also am not a fan of the colorization changes. Because of these changes, all of my ships need to be drastically changed because they now look terrible. While I fully support new updates, I believe that armor and colors were perfectly fine as they were.

27. Fercko Trainee Engineer

I agree the new armor looks terrible. Maybe its do to it`s inability to form a continues pattern. If you look at the pictures there are places where the pattern is symmetric and kind of OK and other places it`s just random chaos. Also i think it`s only the heavy armor suffering of this problem.

Did not test on built ships this is a spawned workshop ship but building it from blueprint has the same result.

Also it would be nice to make the rocket launcher and the Gatling gun a little less powerful, one rocket launcher can gut this ship in matter of seconds...not to mention the one shot turret kills. I mean you build this ship you take it to combat and if the enemy has more then 3 missile launchers then half of you ship is gone so you take 3 days to rebuild.

I`m playing in survival wit the Pirates Invade! mod and let me tell you i just run from the enemy ships because once i engaged the pirate ship and ended up whit a half destroyed ship. And this battleship has a heavy armor exterior and about 10 Missile turrets and 20+ Gatling turrets. But maybe my problem is because there is no way to tell your weapons what system to priorities, so they keep shooting a random block (engine, reactor, door antenna) while the enemy ships weapons right in front of them rips a hole in your ship. I also noticed (could be just me) that the pirate ships weapons are more effective in targeting weapons then mine, or maybe it`s my imagination.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

They are still working on the armor supposedly, but they really should have done the armor first properly, because armor is ~90% of what we see of any ship or base. Didn't they think about this? Too bad, because a lot of the new models and textures are amazing, but they can go largely unnoticed or unappreciated, since the armor block issue overshadow them for a lot of players.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.