Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.171 DEV - Programmable Block Inter-Grid Communication

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Apsyc Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Love the update, but we still need a more detailed, less "you have to already know what these are in coding " guide for visual scripting.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Heh.

Look who's talking.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

You do need a basic understanding of the same logic systems inherited by coding languages. That won't change.
    So if you are having problems with learning it now, a guide won't do a whole lot of good. However, I do agree they need to update the current guide and provide a few more for certain details not touched upon.

5. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I know the basics, I had to take Computing for Engineers for my engineering studies, but that was MatLab which isn't the best thing around. But if you remember, they said any play should be able to understand the visual scripting, but, if you ask me, the guide's too vague and only giving one, basic example wasn't enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. RayvenQ Moderator

Nope, Stable is set to be default, so it won't show up on the branch, develop does however.

Just because you disagree with what things have been updated/altered/focused on this week, there's no need to be throwing names around, especially aimed towards staff, since that's quite against the rules.

Feel free to refresh yourself.

http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/forum-rules-guidelines-english.6483624/

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. kymlaar Trainee Engineer

I love this game, and appreciate the work you've put into it, but I feel like you guys need to spend a few weeks focusing on the dedicated server game breaking bugs. While some of the bugs you list each week are annoying, they aren't the big issues. Pistons and rotors are in extremely poor condition, as are wheels/suspension. It's a frequent issue that some grids simply don't appear when you connect, though when you tried to move through them, you get stopped, but it's a soft feeling stop. Often times the earth-like planet doesn't appear at all, though this seems to have been improved in the latest patch, or I've just gotten lucky. The block count appears to iterate constantly, with the list of grids in the 'info' panel doubling quite frequently and lag seeming to go up while it does. Vents on planets seem to be powerful enough to suck all of the oxygen off of the planet in a huge radius, and can lead to you taking damage from suffocation while standing in a grassy field. On normal sized planets with a view distance of 15Km there are these sudden stutters that can last several seconds.

I really DO love this game, and my primary worry is that people will stop playing it, stop recommending it on steam, server providers will stop licensing it, and the game will end up dying long before it should.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Well then. Thanks for the insight.

I guess "stable" is probably slated for a monthly update now since the update hiatus.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I've always had stable installed on my machine. But it's telling me that I have 1_168_006 installed in the main menu. My steam settings are "None - Opt out of Betas".

Is there such a thing as the stable branch anymore? I'm a little confused.

10. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It doesn't say "Stable" in mine.. it just says NONE...

I don't understand the split branch to be honest.

11. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Awesome changes! The multigrid programmable block is a gamechanger. Im also glad to see drone ai improve. Now can we get exposure to that drone api for commanding grids? Pretty please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

they probably have a coding style guide that the team uses to keep the code consistent and readable to the other members of the team. that would make changes look the same. for the actual submissions to the public git/whatever they might have it so that one person reviews it and submits the code they think is ready, that would also cause it to be listed under 1 name.

13. Animal 22 Trainee Engineer

Finally got a chance to load the game up, can't say I'm terribly impressed with the basic operability of the intergrid comms. Timers should be able to be run, and arguments set, directly from the terminal. The intergrid comms are pretty useless to someone who isn't comfortable with C#, where as Jimms is immediately useful even IF you know NO c# at all. Luckily for me I have some basic comfort with C# but as someone who started playing with no comfort or familiarity, this feels like a bit of a middle finger to the most entry level players.

One shouldn't need to write code to make a garage door opener, guys. I think perhaps it's easy for the guys working on this to lose perspective, since they are designing many functions for their own use. Features should have immediate use for all players, not just coders, and this feels like a very big difference in principles between myself as a player and the development team.

Sure, there are many cool things I can do with scripts that I couldn't do before, but with few exceptions it's all stuff that I could do through action bars or the terminal. Jimm's mod has that, your vanilla implementation doesn't. Sincerely disappointed in these design decisions.

I like the intended target flags, seems a workable alternative to channels, though I don't know enough about the back end of things to tell you which is better.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. Draygo Senior Engineer

Art team does not focus on fixing dedicated server bugs, they do not have the knowhow and experience to be able to fix that problem. The programmers are working on that problem, so let the programmers program and the artists do art and when each team has something to release to the dev build they will release it.

Its mighty silly to have an artist fix bugs. its equally silly to not update the art assets when the artist has them ready because the programmer hasn't finished fixing up some bugs with multiplayer. Beta is about fixing things and even though I am not a dev, I know they are in fact fixing things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RayvenQ Moderator

I mean Stable updates have always been monthly-ish That was the point.

Again, Stable is the default branch, i.e NOT being part of any beta options in steam, Look in the changelog, the last update to stable brought it to 01.168

Because it's default, I.E You install Space Engineers right now, without opting into anything, you're installing the stable version.

Frankly, there's been much discussion on whether stable should be opt in instead of default, with the develop version being the default one, and the concensus is that many people think develop should be the default one rather than stable.

16. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

Come on, by the looks of it he never fires anybody.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. kymlaar Trainee Engineer

I never mentioned in my post anything having to do with art. This patch included drone AI improvements, programmable block inter-grid communication, air-tightness adjustments, AI drone decision making changes, small grid cockpit targeting box, a physics bug having to do with stairs, server security, and a few more things. Clearly the programmers were programming. My suggestion is that they stop adding new features for a month or so, especially now that their game is in Beta, and focus on crushing the bugs that damage player retention, and damage new player experiences. If I was a new player to the game as it is currently, and I went to a multiplayer server, it would only be a matter of hours before I shut down the game and shelved it for a number of months or more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. RyuTT Trainee Engineer

I find it very interesting that people continue commenting about the new Dev features not being implemented in Stable yet, when it is easy to opt into Dev and receive them weekly. Just have the understanding that Dev build could be game breaking and should not be considered a 'Stable' version of the game. Also, game development is a long process, even taking AAA companies a few years to develop the final product, which, in many cases, still needs to be updated frequently with bugfixes for years to come. Remember that this game has just recently entered Beta, so it is still not a finished product. It is going to have bugs, some very persistent little ones too. If you don't want to go through the pain of seeing a game break during development, than consider sticking to completed titles. Otherwise, you should be providing constructive feedback to the developers. Not trashing them because they are still trying to figure out how to get things working properly in the game. I am certain that they are working hard on this game and want to provide the best experience possible to their players when it is finished. Anyway, Save a developer, ride a... horse... or bike... or something....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Harrekin Master Engineer

I've been salty lately, but credit where credit is due...this update probably got me back into the game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Forgottn Trainee Engineer

Well, my guess that in a couple of days/weeks we'll receive some scripts allowing to comfortably use this functionality even for people who know nothing about C# or are too lazy to write their own code. I can even imagine parking scripts that will allow you ship to auto-park at free dock port following some waypoints, but this is way too problematic without some intelligent ways to drive a ship.

However, this is a very nice point. Let a configurable toolbar for antenna like a sensor has and it will do a nice job. Though I, honestly, gave up and wrote a script to open my garage doors upon seing my ship nearby.

21. Pucoslaw Trainee Engineer

4 patches in a row you stand taht you fixed merge blocks and gues what..... still broken :D I know you try ryly hard but lie is not a way you should treat plp who trust in your product with their money... sorry for being salty but truth is your "bug fixing" seems not fixing anything yeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  22. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

Not sure if it's only my experience, but it seems to be the same with wheels. When I tried it in dedicated server MP yesterday, it seemed that instead of driving, I'm sliding and skidding in a weird way, and when I was standing on the vehicle I was constantly "falling". Multiple times when I was setting the suspension parameters the wheels ran in front of the grid, and only came back when I tried to steer. Like this:

[​IMG]

(But maybe this last bug was connected to grid status issues, as the grid seemed to have some weird issues converting to 'ship' after I detached it from the voxel ground.)

23. Konscience Trainee Engineer

Because team-based development is a tedious work, requiring frequent meetings, brainstorming and exchanges between the staff members.
    You can't be as efficient with crappy videocall communications.
    Same can be said for workers monitoring, how do you make sure your employees are getting up in the morning and are really working?
    Especially in programmation where you can be stuck on the same problem for days (in which case, proximity of fellow programmers can be of great help)

So, sure, technology could allow remote work at some extend, but we can't yet connect our brain together. Keen software isn't the regular indie "in the basement" studio anymore, and all great companies have great offices.

24. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

I have to respectfully disagree.

I am a Senior Software Engineer of now 16 years in the industry. I work for an international enterprise software company 100% from a home office due to a medical disability that cannot guarantee consistent ability to commute. I am able to brainstorm, discuss, and work on multiple teams as effectively as I would if I was standing in the office. Skype, GotoAssist/WebEx/TeamViewer all are excellent tools that bridge these gaps effectively. Remote collaboration tools such as digital whiteboards are even better than the traditional whiteboard, especially when combined with a touch screen. I make all my commitments on or before estimates. Remote workers are highly utilized these days in the software industry.

I'm sure Prague is beautiful and and a fantastic place, but I certainly wouldn't be uprooting myself and moving to a foreign, non-English speaking country for a job.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Konscience Trainee Engineer

@szalkerous

I must admit you made me think again and I was wrong and biased.
    Being a student in computer science for 3 years now, and i feel ashamed that I'm still out of the picture : /
    Meanwhile I'm glad to see a senior playing SE, my professors all look like they gave up on playing in the Sea of Simulation. (Or is it just that we all are depressed in France, idk)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Anyone else notice that once in a while, when your building something, during its building phase the model will appear to teleport 1-2 blocks away. You can go through it like it was a projection. You can continue the build in the NOW blank spot the object was and it will eventually pop back in when it finishes. Its kinda weird.
    I should try to capture this in fraps...

28. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

That very respectable response tells me you are already ahead of many in the industry. After a while some developers get very cynical and jaded, and stop looking forwards or thinking passionately out of the box. And they certainly are never wrong, if you ask them ;)

There's actually many software engineers that play SE, you can find them frequently over in the modding section. Games with a strong modding interface tend to attract those of us who still enjoy writing code and creating based on passion.

I wish you much luck in your career! Keep the passion!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yesterday I rebooted my host and client PCs and when I started the game the sound was back. Game also went from 1.171.002 to 1.171.003. Not sure what did it but sound is back and some weird stuff with lights went away, too.

I feel better about streaming now.
    --- Automerge ---
    You sneaky bastards. Slipped that one right in there, didn't you?

This is fantastic! You can tell them what was going on when the game crashed and if it seems weird to them too they can ask you for specifics.

I like that. Nice work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Animal 22 Trainee Engineer

The availability of script on the workshop is a null point though. The improvement is in and of itself completely useless to non coders, in defiance of the convention with other varieties of grid input. Imagine how useless sensors would be to most of the community without their own action bars. I've built some very complex machines using only timers and sensors, before i learned the basics of coding, all of which would hav ebeen utterly impossible without the access from the front ends. While the Antenna improvement is cool, it's in defiance of that front end acessability and without the steam worshop would be utterly useless to a great percentage of the community.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.