Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.171 DEV - Programmable Block Inter-Grid Communication

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. rexxar Senior Engineer

This was about adding a feature for programmable blocks. End of story. What you're asking is something completely different and unrelated. You're not the only player we have, there's lots of different subsections in this community that deserve attention. PB and ModAPI improvements don't directly affect most players, no, but that doesn't mean they don't need work done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Animal 22 Trainee Engineer

Of course I'm not the only player, I'm in a forum for a game surrounded by other players. I'm comparing a mod, and a vanilla implementation derived (without mod developer input) from that mod. And I never suggested the work didn't need to be done on the PB and ModAPI. To suggest that my criticism of a lack of front end usability has anything to do with deriding back end work on the PB and ModAPI is utterly nonsensical and you bloody well know it.

3. GDragon Trainee Engineer

Please return "Jump" command onto available list to use from timer/button/PB.
    I want base evacuated automatically when remote sensor detect enemy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. [ATC]Snoman Trainee Engineer

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. rexxar Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Animal 22 Trainee Engineer

Was never a feature that I can recall

7. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

1.171.002 stable:

Spotlight, arc furnace, and wheel suspension block models have NOT changed.

8. GDragon Trainee Engineer

~2 patches after jump drive added.

9. Meteo Trainee Engineer

I also want it to be added again, I found it strange when I did not find it in the timer options, I thought it was a bug, have they really taken it off ... I always thought it was just a mistake. I hope they put the jump option on the timers again.

I feel my English, I use google translate

10. Brocily Trainee Engineer

Is it normal that a friend gets ~90 ping all the time when they join my locally hosted server? Any other game we get ~30 ping. I assume this is down to the multiplayer optimization.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  11. Harrekin Master Engineer

Nope, that's a you problem.

Ping has nothing to do with the game itself.

12. Brocily Trainee Engineer

Any other game we get ~ 30 ping though. The multiplayer optimisation seems a little poor in this game. Pistons and the like get really laggy as soon as someone joins. On my own they're fine.

13. Harrekin Master Engineer

A ping is just the time it takes to respond with a fixed (tiny) packet size.

The issue youre seeing (I'd imagine) is desync, the server hasn't full control so theres a lot of client/server mismatch from the server and multiple clients trying to predict, correct and recorrect positions over and over again.

I just avoid pistons and rotors in multiplayer altogether tbh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ViroMan Senior Engineer

if the only thing to change between them is the game... it is either the game or possibly a firewall port forward issue...

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. kithsakhai Trainee Engineer

Not sure if related to this DEV patch or not, but plant worlds getting some strange SIM speed hangups (1 -> 0.05 sim in a matter of minutes of spawning a grid (paste from creative) anywhere within sight of a planet, grids already in place as in the starter base, are ok).

Second bug noticing (but not sure if its this patch) asteroids and random ship spawns are occurring near planets, very near, there are a lot of asteroids when spawning literally just out of atmo, and well within gravity of the terran planet (low density infinite world/solar system spawn), those neutral ships spawns are being drawn down into the planet and causing all kinds of lag too.

-K

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Entopia Trainee Engineer

Ok, i lost the Hope in KeenSH...

SpaceEngineers uninstalled, See you Next year...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. rexxar Senior Engineer

Works fine at all ranges ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 1
  18. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

Just an unsolicited observation, but I find it odd that people are upset about C# when Minecraft modding via Forge requires the use of Java (ironically the language C# competes with). The Minecraft community has taken that opportunity and made miracles happen... and they have to deal with de-obfuscation hurdles!

Although I realize this isn't a 100% backend feature, take it as a challenge to learn something new!

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Asdf-U-Ninja Trainee Engineer

I've been F5-ing for half an hour and just realised it says "tuesday" and not "thursday".

FML

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. posthy Apprentice Engineer

There's still more java developer out there than C# :) I don't know much about Minecraft, never played it. But to be honest SE's programming needs some more attention. Poor documentation, out of date guides, and the PB's UI is pretty unfriendly. doesn't give us more features than windows notepad. Some IDE-like feature would be nice (code completion for example?), and I'm sure a lot more people would start to use PB to build wonders. And that would give a slight boost to V# as well :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Malware Master Engineer

Hehe... Boost... Speaks as if C# is an obscure language... Java is still a little bit more popular, but it isn't as far above C# as you seem to think. Nothing done to the programmable block will have any measurable impact to that...

Not to mention that if one knows Java, it's easy to learn C#. It's not that different.

Things like code completion and all that jazz requires a lot of work. There are already plenty of C# IDEs out there which will always be better than anything they would implement in a game. True, Roslyn makes the job easier, but it's still a lot of work. but considering the low priority scripting in general has for Keen, as compared to everything else, this won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. posthy Apprentice Engineer

"Nothing done to the programmable block will have any measurable impact to that..." I admit english is not my native language but i'd say slight and unmeasurable is not very fa from eachother :)
    When I wrote a couple scripts for the PB I tried to a find a good IDE for C# which can include SE files as libraries. Maybe I did something wrong but most of them couldn't do this, thus not very useful for SE. Visual Studio works fine but it's a huge monster, not everyone wants to install it just to build scripts for a game. I ended up at King's SE Workbench, and it works fine. But using external editor is still lot less comfortable.
    I know it's very low priority, so probably will never happen, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be good :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. sankti Trainee Engineer

[STABLE] but really stable please :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

YES, PLEASE!! you guys do know what stable means right? here's a hint, NOT that beta release you called stable.

25. Malware Master Engineer

@posthy "slight" still implies measurable. I mean too small to be measured, because SE's total use isn't even a fraction of a fraction... I agree better tools would be nice, but setting up IDEs to work with it is so easy and explained well in tutorials here so it's not that bad.

@eviltek2099 Stable means "rarely changing", not "not crashing"... The entire game is beta and only barely left alpha. Indisputable facts. There have been discussions about their choice of names, that they could have chosen better, but there it is. Still, somewhat less crashy would be nice, but not enough people play on dev, so bugs go undetected.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. heartlessdeath Trainee Engineer

I have discovered that it is impossible to watch the movie Interstellar without wanting to play Space Engineers. Every time I watch that movie I have to jump on the game. Am I right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

Another meaning of stable exists in common use, where people take it to mean “working reliably” or “solid”. That is, people refer to software that runs consistently without crashing as stable. You can see why they may use the word in this way: in real life, when something can be described as stable, it won’t fall over. If a chair is stable enough, you can sit in it and it won’t topple or collapse.

28. Malware Master Engineer

@eviltek2099 Doesn't matter. This is Keen's interpretation of the word, and having it truly stable was never an option while it was in alpha and still extremely difficult in beta, especially this early in beta - hence the argument on the name choice and our opinion that it was a poor choice. They should simply have called it "default", "monthly", or something similar with no implication to the name.

Although frankly, I disagree with the current branching scheme completely. In my opinion they should have gone for a 3 or 4 branch aged solution, meaning each branch is one week older than the other, having the newest branch always be default. That way we get more players on, catch more bugs and people can still downgrade if/when the worst bugs appear, even up to a month if they so choose.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  29. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

My only point is that "Stable" was playable before they rushed the beta out before X-mas. Now:

1) Landing gear causes 2 bugs, (planetary weightlessness and at other times failure to lock)
    2) entire grids and planets being invisible.
    3) Bright light from center of world(0,0,0).
    4) Tool misalignment.(can't tell you how many times I've grinded the block below where I was pointing). Crouched and Not crouched

All of these could have been found if anyone tested before moving it to stable.

I also agree with all the talk about documentation being lacking both in the PB and the API. I have been waiting for weeks for someone to answer my question as to why "JoinServer(string address)" effects an area of 1K instead of the player triggering it.

I've been here since the beginning so I'm not just some noob complaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Malware Master Engineer

@eviltek2099 True, but this stems from the fact that there's not enough players on the dev branch, which is exactly what I'm talking about. And this is because of the current branching system. Although yes I agree, the beta specifically felt rushed.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.