Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.173 DEV - New Skybox

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I wish I did. I have no desire to even boot up the game because nothing works. If you look at my playtime you can quickly see that I maybe kinda sorta like this game. This hurts me man. It has been over 2 months since I've actually been able to work on ANY of my cool projects. I'm confined to maintaining my old codes that still work. That is all I can do right now. :/

Player Made Weaponry is the reason I got this game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. welkar926 Apprentice Engineer

It was a while before I knew about Player Made Weaponry (I bought the game long before you created your missile script), but once I did, I wanted to hop on the PMW bandwagon and start building missile cruisers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

what i don't get is why they don't have a training projection that comes off welders to show a "blast" cone... only time it kills me is if i'm trying to check for parts with it on and i think i have to room to do it while it's still on... sooo many actual fix's to this besides just making their weld range between the welders two tips.... apathy fix's so many things...

what ever happened to that pistol they teased...(not that it would be useful, list a hand held rocket launcher would be..)

4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

SE's physics simulation is what makes it more than just another Starmade knockoff. Everyone, including the devs, understands the weaponization of this element; ships smashing into each other has been in every trailer I can think of, including the recent Beta one.

But there has never been much official recognition of what the players are doing with this core feature. PMWs have always been very jury-rigged until quite recently; the fact that we still do not have a large-to-small merge block, despite such a thing being possible (with minor changes), shows that the devs frequently just don't get what a lot of players want to do with their game.

This is not because of some "sinister conspiracy," nor is it because of incompetence. It is because the devs have more of a life than we do. They're building the game, and it's not a surprise if they don't want to boot up SE right after getting home from working on SE all day. They want to go out and watch a movie, or play another game, or *gasp!* talk to people.

We, however, have no life. So we play this game a lot, to a perhaps unhealthy degree. And this sometimes results in the devs changing things that they don't realize have become an integral part of what passes for a meta in this game.

And, before anyone jumps in, I am well aware that this is their game to change, and that it is still in development. That does not mean that all the changes they make are good changes, nor does it mean that we should not offer feedback if we feel those changes are detrimental to gameplay.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Harrekin Master Engineer

The problem is when building doesnt work properly the complete lack of gameplay becomes very very obvious.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

the medieval team already has compounding blocks up... imagine if you could do that, and place small blocks as detail.. ect. also, saying we have no life, and the devs do, is just theorycrafting in overdrive- the idea that they devs go out for a beer and watch breaking bad after work some how makes them competent, when the consensus is the vast majority of humans are very bad at their jobs, is just inane and a non sequitur. the SE team doesn't even have a wall set up to review all the blocks, obviously, as they tend to come out wrong in the build states randomly- how is that competent? its not. the simple answer is they've very little planning and are peg legging in loads of area's- IE, incompetence.

7. Uranius Crack Trainee Engineer

I am confident that the devs will revert the welder change, it just boggles my mind that the decision was mad in the first place...

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Oh, I agree. Keen tends to be quite responsive to player feedback. The only reason we have welders on ships at all is because they saw that player demand for them was high, and responded to that.

But yeah, the fact that they changed this at all makes me wonder if they and we are playing the game the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

Suggestion: Have a 'Show Danger Radius' button on the welder to make the weld area glow red.
    Handy for new players.
    a tickbox in the advanced game setup 'Dangerous Welders' [√]

there. everyone is happy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. InvertedCow Trainee Engineer

Wow, so many people annoyed at welders?
    Am I the only person who actually uses remote controlled welder ships?

Seriously after the first time of accidentally getting a bit of a tingle by flying through a weld field I made sure welders and me never got too close.

Because I have no nice words about planets the thought of using them as defenses against the stupid wheel eating dogs is appealing.. But then again who needs wheels when you need large thrusters to keep the grid moving on the planet in the first place? ...

I too have been affected by the latest bug implementation where any ship or cockpit has no camera rotation. Both large and small grids station flight seats, and cockpits.

I agree the night sky is too cluttered. Epi tec commented on that on one of his last videos where the change made the alien planet feel all warm and friendly as it was light enough to see at night without the need for spotlights.

I have to also say i like the idea of having the ability to combine blocks, and I know that it is not the place but can we have some blocks that are not ship building blocks like wood and concrete? Or how about a "gravel" block that when used smooths out the voxel world slightly but doesn't form a grid?

thanks for more eye candy... can we fix the game bugs instead?

cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nicklas sivén Trainee Engineer

Guessing you already know of these but nonetheless: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303959338 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=396679430 (have not confirmed if this second one is functional)

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Hopefully the welder issue doesn't become the smudged-up-glass-issue where there was ONE person who managed to fly into a window and then decreed that windows shouldn't be windows anymore but a Rorschach canvas for grime and dirt textures.

That was MONTHS of pointless hand-sitting because one person decided what was best rather than taking the time to understand how the window block actually worked (seeing out of it was important for things like...oh... VEHICLES).

The realism argument is moot. I've never built a PC by hovering a spot welder over a bunch of PC components and getting a working computer 20 seconds later. Nor have I taken an angle grinder to my LCD and gotten all the components out of it neatly in a backpack. The construction tools are representative of construction/deconstruction, not the actual mechanics of them.

New players walking into welders sounds more like Marek-Meddling again. What's next?

There have been a lot of solutions offered. Here's the easiest one: in the game's settings, add yet another check box and label it "Welder Damage" or "Tool Damage." If it's checked you can be killed by any kind of non-weaponized tool. If it's unchecked then no welder-death. The variables that control how much damage the player takes while in range are set to zero.

If someone wants their training wheels left on then there ya go. But the bottom line is that this IS an engineering game and people do build a lot of automation into the game. You just tore this apart to satisfy people who can't watch where they're going.

Ugh...

• Agree Agree x 9
  13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I wish that things looked new when built new... and looked old when they are old.

Blocks have damage effects, why not age effects? rusted effect for example, this could be very useful for things on planets, in survival mode, maybe the player could find abandoned bases, or crashed ships, and they would actually look old... instead of just looking exactly what us the player builds...

Maybe old blocks could malfunction? like a reactor for example? and the player would need to fix it if he wanted to use it, instead of just scrapping it for parts.

Maybe old blocks don't give as many usable parts when dismantling them?

That would be interesting gameplay that could be fun for both multiplayer and singleplayer survival.

14. Harrekin Master Engineer

Theyre so responsive?

Wanna talk about scratched textures?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

You ever tried to build a gravity gun with a decent magazine size without welders? I have. It's doable, but it ain't pretty. I'll take cat-scratched armor over no welders for reloads any day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Harrekin Master Engineer

The point was it takes months for them to revert their "new ideas" despite uproar on their forums.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Uranius Crack Trainee Engineer

They were pretty fast with the rotor angle display change

18. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

The new skybox is pretty but it's waaaaay too bright. Even the darkest areas are glowing blue and the nebulas shine through the atmospheres on the sunny side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

It's not just PMWs. Lots of survival players use sets of conveyored welders to expand storage and production in a regular pattern - this is especially critical in 1X where inventory is a premium, even for welding ships. All of these expansion templates are now broken, because you can't even weld to the side of a large welder.

All self repair features and self building features on all ships are broken. That basically renders 95% of my creations utterly useless.

Welding ships designed around a checkboard pattern for optimum welding area for the least number of welders are all broken.

Small-grid welders are basically useless: you have to be physically touching anything to weld it.

So basically every facet of the construction mechanic in the game is broken with this change - for literally no benefit to the player base. Dying to welders is a complete non-issue. Welding speed and component draw makes self-repair underwhelming in 1x settings, which is sort of the core "balance" of the game.

So basically there is nothing dangerous, or overpowered about welders as they existed for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS.

• Agree Agree x 11
  20. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Oh. Never heard of PMW before, but given the topic, I figured they must be Piston Mounted Welders. Now that I know it's actually Player Made Weapons, I think my idea sounds more dangerous.

• Funny Funny x 6
  21. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

i never knew space was this bright.

always thought it was a pitch black void...

22. Sarekh Junior Engineer

That sounds like you should go into pmw manufacturing!

23. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

No way, pistons are dangerous!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Sarekh Junior Engineer

I cannot in good conscience deny that. But you see, the art and satisfaction comes with the achievement of making a piston dangerous for the other side!

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

26. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

In sci-fi movies you'd see units landing on an enemy ship then planting explosives.
    In space engineers you'd see an engineer landing and beginning to build a piston..............and a rotor.

wonder will that stereotype ever go away?

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

Uhh no. I grew up in the country in the 70's. I remember it was amazing how many stars we could see back then that you can't even come close to seeing today. I was reflecting on this last night as I looked up in the night sky, 3 hours away from any major city, and saw about 30% of what I remember as a kid. I never saw any "milky way". Whatchoo tryin' to pull?
    --- Automerge ---
    Prove it. Show me a photo that isn't obviously CGI from NASA, and then I will agree. You won't find anything, I've looked. We haven't had real images from space (that show space) since 1969. Even Hubble produces computer generated images.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

The following image was taken by an astronaut using an off-the-shelf Nikon D4 digital camera using a 28 millimeter lens. No CGI, just a camera in a human hand.

Picture and information from: https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/SearchPhotos/photo.pl?mission=ISS044&roll=E&frame=45215

[​IMG]

Also, wow, space is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  29. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

You can't tell that's CGI?

30. gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

It looks a lot like the thousands of other authentic pictures of the milky way captured from space. Fantastic; even more so because it's 100% real, exhaustively documented, and verifiable.

From my own attempts at low-light photography, I bet that it's even more amazing to the human eye, since our computer monitors don't have the ability to reproduce the range that our eyes can perceive. Sadly, the best I'll ever see is photographs, and be grateful we have astronauts to take them!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.