Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.173 DEV - New Skybox

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

You haven't opened the large res in a graphics program have you? I instantly noticed stars illuminating behind the earth at the horizon which should be hidden. How is it "exhaustively documented"? This looks cheesy as hell, beautiful yeah, but total cheeseshop.

There is something wrong with the curvature as well. It might seem right if this was the moon, but this may be a fish angle lens. Still it's suspect af.

Why so grainy? Everything except the lightning in the clouds. We have amazing cameras that can do super high resolutions at hundreds of thousands of frames per second and we get this?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Which then promptly explodes destroying anything nearby.

3. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

Not to mention the "exhaustively documented" image kind of contradicts their own live stream.

4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

This thread is quickly getting into tinfoil hat territory.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

Excuse me for being a skeptic, and not blindly accepting obvious bullshit, when their live stream shows no such space explosion of color pageantry. You act as if I said Earth was flat. Calm down bro.

6. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

Calm down guys, that picture from the ISS was probably just taken on a really clear night.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

A really clear night? In space?

• Late Late x 1
  8. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

Apart from the welder debacle, I'm wondering what's up with:

1.) Corner LCD orientation. The text on a whole bunch of my directional signs is now upside down. Is this a bug or a needed fix of something? I.e. should I wait for it to be fixed or do they stay this way?

2.) Slotted window blocks LOD. Is this preparing for a new model or something? Because I absolutely hate the way they look on my ship now. Just a few dozen meters out has the blocks transform into a visually solid piece because the gaps don't render. It really looks absolutely awful.

9. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

You're interrupting our nerd debate with this welder nonsense hehe JK. I'm just going to let this go so it doesn't devolve into something ugly. Back to welders everyone, nothing to see here.

10. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

How about the fact that you cannot see which way is up on a new LCD until you've welded it up, getting very very irritating.

11. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

And the moon landings were faked too right? :whatever:

12. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

Very much so. I'm trudging around in my mega ship project, itching to fix the upside down signs, but I don't wanna go around fixing dozens of them only to have it all revert (and go re-upside down) just a few weeks later.

I'm mostly salty about the window blocks tho.

edit: I do like the new models for the corner lights tho.

13. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

Straw man
    A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

Even though I spoke about the images from 1969 as a basis for my case. :D

14. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

It's gotta be the light exposure levels. The cameras in the live stream look like they're adjusting to earth's brightness and not fully picking up the light from the milky way, since most cameras nowadays have automatic exposure correction.

My brother, up in the middle of New Hampshire near a national forest was able to capture the milky way quite vividly by upping the exposure substantially. Yes, there's atmospheric pollution and distortion everywhere you go, but it's pretty limited up in the White Mountains near Chocorua.

15. Market Trainee Engineer

Same can be said for the mountains of Northern New Mexico. I live more than a mile above sea level, and the view we get out here at night is far beyond breath-taking. All summer long, we see a bright, white band across the night sky. So much can be seen out here that cannot be anywhere else I've been.

16. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

Yeah someone in another thread explained to me that it's some kind of exposure. I remain skeptical, there are elements about it that trigger scrutiny IMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

good thing you've not professed to be a professional photographer- we'd have to assume someone failed you drastically along the way to your education. please, don't tell us this is a fake earth shot:
    [​IMG]

blurry and grainy, right? must be the next source engine- HL3 right? hmmm.,

SE 2.5
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

No, it's not all that blurry or grainy, and there are no stars shining behind what should be terrain. Though I do think it's hilarious how worked up people are getting over this. I am not a professional photographer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, sooo..

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

You obviously don't have a sense of humor if you took that literally. That or you're a dull one.

20. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Oh I found another potential change. Thruster damage range has been increased it seems.

21. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Veritas Apprentice Engineer

Time to make our own subtitled mini-movie where Hitler rages about PMWs being neutered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

My bad tank. We good.

24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Killacyte Senior Engineer

Stars are not shining through terrain in that picture. What you are seeing are stars shining through the atmosphere. The reason there is an opaque border on the outside of the atmosphere is because at that point the viewing angle is at a tangent, and we are looking through enough atmosphere at a sharp enough angle to completely diffract/diffuse the light so that we can't look through it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  26. Ilheranson Trainee Engineer

In accord with other previous posters, I would be a great idea to have several skyboxes to choose from in-game. This one looks amazing, sure, but its too bright for my preference. A dark, vacuous skybox would also look cool for those who want a more realistic experience of space. Could there be options in the game or graphics menu (in the future of course) to use a darker skybox or even make shadows much darker in game?

Just speaking as one of many who wants realistic space engineers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. lelocobr Trainee Engineer

IMO it would be nice if the skybox changed based on the distante from the center of the world. So it would be a nice change. Of coirse the change would occur on a very big distance

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

For the Welder, it would be interesting to have a distance setting on it that increases power usage at the same time. Or a safety option that the welder turns off immediately when it does player damage. (New player safety toggle.)

Welder is one of those electric socket things. New players will get shocked and learn from it.

Edit/Afterthought/Personal Preference: Thinking about it from a PMW point of view, I never liked throwing ship-sized slugs out every 1-4 seconds.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I would agree with the distance == power usage thing.
    but didn't they r̶u̶i̶n̶ nerf its range because players were weilding Player-Made-Weapons too fast or effectively?

as for the safety option..... I'd humorously say no to that.
    I'd take a dark souls look at that and say you die to it once or 50 times and learn going near it is bad for your health. :p

30. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Mmhmm. May I point out that there was a bug in Java pre 1.8.0 that worked in tandem with a bug in the Forge Mod Loader for Minecraft that allowed the system to work normally until Sun Microsystem (Oracle, or what ever you wish to call them) fixed this particular bug; upon fixing this bug in Java, Forge Mod Loader practically fell apart overnight. It took the dev team for Forge almost a full update cycle for Minecraft to nail down and fix the bug that revealed itself only AFTER the Java side of the bug was fixed. Look it up. I'm not gonna lie to make myself look good.

EDIT: And I didn't say that EVERY one was such a case; don't put words I didn't say, in my mouth. I said, -sometimes-. There's a huge difference. And, there's a Bug Report forum for a reason. And they do address bug reports on these forums. How do you expect that they find bugs they might miss and usually have them patched by Friday? Congratulations on being part of bug-free games. Do you want a medal? Everyone wants those these days. In my day, 15, 20 years ago, we didn't have this kind of all-access pass to the devs; if there was a bug, we had to wait for the devs to find the thing and fix it on their own, sometimes months, even a couple years after the bug was discovered. Quit acting like an entitled brat and realize that you have it pretty damned good when it comes to games. As I've said before, Keen weren't obligated to give us early access, and maybe you ought to appreciate that fact a bit more than you do.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.