Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.175 DEV - Lens Flares

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

And you Can not Disable the Onboard GPU in the bios ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Sektan's S-Female01Suit

• Like Like x 1
  3. Renegrade Trainee Engineer

Actually, camera lenses are designed to not lens flare too. Lens flares are caused by internal reflections - the funny rings that you see are basically images of the surfaces of the lenses reflected a few times. Camera and lens companies spend billions on coatings and new designs to try to eliminate that.

It's funny how developers spend money putting 'em back in.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

Keen plz, a few updates ago you broke the model for the slotted/vented window blocks. FIX IT!

[​IMG] <<= This is how my window blocks look from about 40 meters away. That close, and they've already turned into a flat, bland slab.

No idea why you did this, but please fix it and please fix it soon. Anyone who uses those window blocks for some aesthetic purpose now has their creations looking absolutely awful. The conveyors as well go incredibly bland just a few dozen meters out. Graphics settings don't seem to affect it.

EDIT: For god's sake...it automatically modifies my imgur link into something that makes the picture not seen....

really tilting me right now, Keen....really tilting me right now with your window blocks and your forum formatting...

why the fuck can't I post a normal link? :( jesus christ, what an annoying forum function

5. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

That ending quote....

... R.I.P. Space Engineers (2013 - 2017)

6. NumberR09 Trainee Engineer

Looking forward to some actual improvements next week maybe?

7. Spets Master Engineer

Next: Motion Blur

:eek:ops:

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. AceNepets Apprentice Engineer

Note: The stance I produce here is replaced with my suggested modification in post #75 [here]

On the topic of preventing Blueprints of non-owned grids in survival, I Disagree with the change made, but have opened a discussion and poll in the General Forum [here].

To respond to the comments a few dozen back on this thread about the new limitation being a "game changer", ah, yes, it makes learning about and studying your enemy much more difficult but also adds problems for you're friends or others that you would otherwise love to let blueprint your design, but they can't, and so requires making a side-channel (such as publishing your design on the workshop, or having to invite your friend to a creative private session to share the design).

As one who is fully and totally guilty of blueprinting enemy stations and studying them for weaknesses, I'm totally for the original behavior, because even with a perfect set of blueprints of your target, there are still so many things that make heisting a well-designed base very difficult.*

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are two extremes to ISTAR in this this game. The one extreme is that all information is visible, such that I can blueprint a base, and have all of its blocks available, as well as it's scripts it may be running and all the custom text for each block. The pendulum has swung to the extreme opposite, in which it is only possible to gather information about an enemy using screenshots, video, and that that is it. Screenshots, video, and whatever you can get the enemy to give up about their design.

There is a middle way that needs to be allowed. Yes, it is totally over-powered to gather all the design information about an enemy, but then again, that is also a wonderful way to learn in this game**. There needs to remain a way to gather a form of intel about your enemy that allows for you and your friends to study their designs on your own in a private session. Reducing the ability to learn about other players and their designs to just screenshots and videos is not something I want to be reduced to. Can there be a middle ground?

** Ok, Story Time:
    I was introduced to the GFD method for the Remote Control Block (which has become Camera Raycast) by snapping a blueprint of a ship that blew my deep-space totally-never-would-be-found-here ship one afternoon a year ago. That lead to a renewed interest in this game and let me be creative, and ultimately optimize and perfect my own version. If I couldn't have learned about how his ship worked, I wouldn't have found a new area to explore in the game, as also happened for many others in the game. GFD would have continued to be a rare function call that would be abused by a few and would not have been addressed and convered to the camera raycast function that we have now.[/QUOTE]

* This argument ultimately falls into the same as whether "Security through Obscurity" is the answer. Most security professionals will adamantly criticize the practice. Basically, you should ALWAYS assume that the enemy knows the entire implementation of your system, and only lacks the run-time details. In this game, I feel the equivalent is being able to capture a blueprint of the base, but (as it currently behaves) lacking any of the voxel information or relative placement of other grids or even hidden contained sub-grids, makes the analogy valid. I can capture information about the grid, but can't know what is hiding inside, or where the voxel tunnels have been dug. Half the time, I don't have and won't bother to download any mods that are included in the capture. The current system is already "lossy" enough.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

Please gods no, don't give them ideas! :p I can manage with lens flare but motion blur makes me dizzy as hell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

That is a joke right? :woot:

I shouldn't need to mess with BIOS for this game to run. It worked fine 2 weeks ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Spets Master Engineer

I always disable integrated graphics the first day when installing a video card. I think it is actually a normal procedure for hardware installation

• Agree Agree x 10
  12. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

my eyes are burning :woot:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Harrekin Master Engineer

But multiplayer "is fixed"...?

Wasn't there some €40,000 prize to the team that wrote a working multiplayer?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Question, is the lens flare moddable? If it is, and I have enough time, I'll make a mod that removes irritating visual effects like this and flight particles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. AceNepets Apprentice Engineer

I'd like to modify/retract my stance of "Disagree", and propose a modification to the blueprint mechanism as follows. This is included in my respond on the other thread [here].

In Survival, taking blueprints of a non-owned grid results in only the non-terminal blocks being copied. Any block with an IMyTerminal Block Type is not included. This may result in the grid blueprint being split, as currently is the behavior of pasting grids with missing mods.

With this solution, it is possible to gather intel on an enemy base in survival, but only the general layout, consisting of armor blocks and conveyor lines only. Any and all other blocks such as lights, turrets, displays, production, weapons, everything else, is excluded from the blueprint. This allows for military secrets to be retained, but also for bases to be practiced on by factions in private rehearsals. This also allows for a friend to fix another friend's ship with a lossy blueprint, providing the means to fix structural and conveyor damage but not build any computer-holding block otherwise.

This is a fair middle ground. In the universe of Space Engineers, it should be feasible to use radar, gamma ray, or <insert_cool_science_here> tomography to build up a 3D model of a given grid. This would show, as real-world tomographic mapping does, a very rough and blurry idea of the internals of a base or ship. As a faction trying to learn about our enemy, we can find out what the structure of a ship or base is, but have no idea where interior turrets might be placed, where the LCDs, medical bays, or server room is other than suggested by the way structures are shaped. We cannot be sure that the 3x3x4 void is a set of refineries or a turret hanging from the ceiling. Capturing a blueprint of that ship that just blew our ship away in combat will provide us a view of it's shell, but no idea how many jump drives it has, where the cargo containers are and what they hold, or where the cockpit is located. Anything that could appear on a terminal is not included, so just about every secret about the ship is kept by that faction, except for the most basic shell of its armor and conveyors.

Is this an acceptable and possible compromise? @Drui ? @rexxar ?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

Well, to fight the storm, I actually adore the sun flare. Whether it's realistic or not, it's pretty. Not to mention, looking directly at a nearby star in space would indeed be blinding, even more so than we real humans are used to.

To go one step further, I'd love an option to give all sources of light a flare.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. |Ñ| Ederrn Trainee Engineer

And how many years do you need to fix the wheels system? Do we have to wait until 2019 for driving in a F*#@%g Straight line?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'm not opposed to having flares, I'm just opposed to being forced to use them, because they can really mess some people up. I got a headache watching the first Abrams Star Trek film because of the damn flare.

Also:

Meeeeeerge blocks?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

Yes you should Then it will Work, Unless you need the Onboard GPU i would Disable it As you are only Wasting Power and Ram "If" it is being shared with onboard GPU.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

QFT. Always disable hardware you have no intention of using, or be subjected to oddities like the aforementioned.

FWIW, I have at my disposal a late-model Intel setup that has the on-die Iris GPU along with a discrete nVidia graphics card and testing with both have zero issues with SE. Sounds like either a configuration issue (OS or elsewhere), or a strange incompatibility with your hardware combination.

21. midspace Senior Engineer

You want realism? Don't add lens flare to the first person view.

• Agree Agree x 6
  22. Xiga Trainee Engineer

Renegrade, I just want you to know that you made my day with this little tidbit of info! It soothed my grumpiness over the lens flares, which for the record I agree with the the others and would like an option to remove them in the menu.

23. Roxette Senior Engineer

I think the lens flare is a terrible idea to have on first person view, certainly without an option to disable it.

On the positive side, it's four and a half hours since the update was released, and there's no new bug reports yet - is this a new performance record ? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

No Merge blocks? And Congrats on JJ Abrams for being hired by Keen! His Lense flairs are always welcome...heh.
    --- Automerge ---
    Agreed a thousand times agreed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Or, like me, they haven't bothered booting the game up to play to speak of in months because Keen keeps breaking stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Beautiful. Lense Flares for Spectator, not for eyes behind a Helmet you'd think prevented Lense Flares like NASA's Sun visor.

27. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

No.

Either don't put the feature in until you know a clear majority of players want it, or put an option where it belongs, in graphics. Telling players that they can use the debug menu to undo something you added mere hours ago is an implicit admission that you done goofed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

29. Echillion Senior Engineer

As to the Blue print restriction is this Keens crap attempt at Copyright by Blueprint? this is going to screw friendly multiplayer where we share our designs without having to put them on the PUBLIC workshop!.This is as about as stupid as when you removed station voxel support! and unlike some other posters I share my designs with my friends and they with me and now Keen have screwed that up! Well Done idiots :mad:

30. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Oh sweet mercy, it's worse than the screenshots make it look. Keen, what is wrong with you people? Did you fire whoever was in charge of developing this game recently? Because it seems like all the recent updates have had really really bad decisions in them.

On the plus side, when I fly my Spitfire out of the sun to attack ol' Jerry, it'll be super-effective now.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.