Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.175 DEV - Lens Flares

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Bravo.. Two of my major requests.. Stopping ability to BluePrint others work in MP. (just chatting about it last night).. AND being able to automatically type text when opening "G" menu. (waited forever to save that keystroke).

Nice... Keep pressing on the MP... Still see alot of one time players, rage quitters, and vets who only check-in every so often. Will be nice to see the lag go and the stability grow

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Harrekin Master Engineer

The difference is that there's no actual "flare" because they're just white pixels, so they can't cause any damage.

If you look at them up real close on the screen, it's just white pixels ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Veritas Apprentice Engineer

Still not even a hint on the status of welders and merge blocks? :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Devon_v Senior Engineer

OMG the lens flare is back! How I've missed it.

5. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

How come your slotted window blocks don't look al fucked up and mine do? :(

6. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Mine do most of the time; the LOD thing got partly fixed last patch.

7. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

On DEV? I'm on stable usually and there haven't been any updates to stable last week I think.

8. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Yeah, on Dev. Partly fixed, but not completely.

9. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

That gives me good hope then.

10. PLPM Junior Engineer

I feel we should really contact developers and make them listen, Marek now looks like a messiah of good will after the last patches.

Who the heck is making this choices?

I could live with broken projectors, welders, wheels and everything I loved in this game, screw fixes! As long as I knew it was just temporal and they were adding more good features I didn´t care, I was up for enduring it if it meant the game was growing.

But when I have to endure that for ridiculous visuals like the new skybox or the lens flares? I give up.

I can´t look at this and smile in eagerness about playing the game as I did when the game was released, as I did a year ago when stuff was still being added...

Why are we focusing in making the game so pretty and bombastic when the base game is so terrible, yes, terrible, If SE became 100% bug-free and optimized next week, the only saving grace would be fooling around in MP with friends, and making crazy contraptions that you create just for the sake of creating. We´re lacking so much, so much potential is just being wasted, why did we get lens flares?

Why not alter the generation of asteroids so they´re farther apart and in clusters with more variety in sizes instead? That would make survival less of a monotone grind and playground, which is good.

Why not alter the cargo-pirates to not just be tackled-on into the world and actually allow the game to feel you´re dealing with something substantial instead? That would make the game less monotone too and present a threat, which is good too

Why not fix welders and merge blocks; they´re a substantial part of what makes grids be not just be a featurless flying group of blocks, why not that instead?

The updates shouldn´t be about adding mindless features, I like the G menu change and most of the bug fixes, but it´s all for naught if most of the game is wasted and all this effort goes nowhere. The game needs an overhaul in everything, EVERYTHING (But graphics and eye candy, please, we already have enough of that)

SE is being neglected too much, and it hurts me.

• Agree Agree x 12
  11. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I'll come and complain again. Subgrids are still super broken, multiple pistons connected to one grid still twist or explode... I'm getting mildly annoyed that this issue has been persisting. longer then the people bitching about welders, and i think longer than the merge block issues....

12. gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

I guess my perspective is different. Coming back after a year long hiatus, I'm shocked at HOW MUCH BETTER SE has become. Multiplayer is pretty much playable, with some performance issues, but reasonable workarounds. Look at what's new to me:

- I'm flying around in MP with pistons and rotors and no explosions.
    - In general, Multiplayer is moderately viable now, especially compared to the old netcode.
    - Camera targeting and rangefinders.
    - Antennas that can send messages.
    - The whole scenario system I've barely touched.
    - Vastly improved APIs all over the place, with evidence that they're actively incorporating tons of good ideas from player suggestions.
    - Bucketloads of cleanups to rendering, models, etc.

The game has clearly gotten a ton more playable, despite all the (legitimate) concerns about new and ongoing bugs. Batteries are still a pain. Merge blocks can be annoying, but nothing's exploded yet. Etc, etc.

A common thread I see to the bigger pieces Keen has added is that they're developing new TOOLS for adding content like more dynamic cargo ships. There's a lot of reason for optimism there! If their focus is on expanding the range of the game engine, then it creates the possibility for a lot better content using the new and improved tools. If that's their goal; expand the range of the game (with the associated growing pains), so the eventual content can be built on a much more powerful platform, then it seems like things are proceeding about as well as they can be.

Maybe taking a break let me compare changes on a longer scale and better appreciate all the progress they've made?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for another Game Ruining pair of features in time for my birthday; Keen Get Real - nobody likes overdramatic lens flares and as far as not being able to set the ships to an "enemy" player - you better have a better system than factions to determine enemies. Don't bother calling me back; I'm too far gone for this ****.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

I have to agree. I'm not privy to the inner workings, but I often lament the waste of potential going on for years. There are newer games with more PVE content than SE, but they're a bit too casual for me.

Seriously, do what you gotta do. You need to hire people, do it. Need to fire somebody, do it. You have management that's not keeping people engaged, kick their asses. USE POLLS ask the players what they want if there is a lack in direction. Nobody would have voted lens flares, they would have voted PVE content, or bugs fixed, or unnerfed welders.

This is just tough love. We've all burned hundreds/thousands of hours on this game. Let the thing come into it's potential. You guys blew us away with the campaign - we want that shit!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Lawd_Potato Trainee Engineer

I take it from this that wheels haven't been fixed this patch...

Lets take a moment of silence to remember our small grid rovers. #iRememberWheels2017

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

To be clear: artistically, the lens flare looks beautiful. Getting serious Mass Effect vibes going on here.

But functionally, we've got the same problem we had with dirty glass.

Dirty glass and lens flare work in games like ME because they're shooter RPGs; you're always moving, and never in the same place for long. In Space Engineers, you will be seeing that sun for hours on end. While trying to build things, sometimes moving things that go boom if you get the tolerances wrong. And the glass? Landing three thousand metric tons with 10% hydrogen left and not being able to see the landing pad because Keen hates Windex is not fun.

I like lens flare effects, when they don't get in the way. But ... gee, guys, learn from JJ Abrams. That is a lot of flare; genuinely causing eye pain here.

Gameplay, guys. Gameplay is king, even over aesthetics.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Don't worry bruh I got you covered :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865309539

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

21. rexxar Senior Engineer

Nope.

You can share blueprints with other players in the same server through the F10 menu. You can also take blueprints of faction or unowned ships, so if you want your friends to take a blueprint of your ship, you can add them to your faction, or transfer ownership of the grid to nobody. This only affects enemy ships.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Late x 1
  22. Veritas Apprentice Engineer

So, the question then is: is it misstated (or stated vaguely) in the update video about blueprinting? Friendly-only Blueprinting is much more reasonable than user-owned only.

I think warping sub grids with multiple pistons and rotors happened within two weeks, if not the same time, as the merge blocks breaking, or the wiped timers in blueprints just before that. Either way, neither item is in a functional state. :eek:ops:

23. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Xocliw Apparently they removed the "New Station"-button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually did use it occasionally so that's a bummer.
    More importantly: the only workaround to reimplement the still broken Small Grid Stations was to do some clever button pressing with the "Spawn New Station"-button so Small Grid Stations are once again unavailable.

Edit: they ALSO broke the automatic grid size detection.

[​IMG]

AND the switching of grid size for random blocks...

I see i'm writing bug reports tonight... This is a terribly bugged update. I've said it before, i'll say it again - Kill Stable Branche, give Dev a monthly release scedule. A weekly release does not work.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. zorgkirill Apprentice Engineer

Save the VRagetanic!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

i dont get it. this game is full of bugs and problems (which is ok for beta, except for the ever lasting problems which were never fixed, for example grids clipping in planet voxels), misses content (which might be a problem in beta) and all we get is lens flare?

someone replaced the eyes of keen employees with cameras? :(

27. Leonardo90 Trainee Engineer

That's it! We need a subforum here with open polls.
    I would love to see lens flare like this, maybe a little darker.

28. S7E Trainee Engineer

You are doing it right!

29. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I assure you, they've been broken longer than that.

The twisting specifically is only maybe in the last few weeks, but multiple piston attachments have been broken since... I think 2 or 3 patches prior to the new block release? I recall it was right around the time they initially broke merge blocks...

They made a change to pistons that makes the non physical part ( rod?) move without a head. I'm not sure what compelled them to do so, I just know it completely fucked over all of my work...

30. Renegrade Trainee Engineer

That's pretty much how it looks to me (although the rays are less well-defined, thicker, and don't travel as far) IRL.

I'm actually okay with the blue line (although again, size needs to be toned down). Sure, it's fake, but maybe my engineer has some bizarre eye condition. The one thing that alarms me is the 7-12 internal reflection circles. How many lenses does his eye have?? And how are the elements separated by air? Normal human eyes have fluid-immersed lenses, which prevents those concentric circles (plus, generally only two elements; the cornea at the air interface and a focusing lens behind)...

Given the quality of the camera, I have to assume it's some cheap single-lens uni-focus type with digital (not optical) zoom... So it has even fewer lenses than the eye!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.