Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.175 DEV - Lens Flares

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the afore mentioned broadcast key function does not work ?_? or is this just me?

2. Hanfree Apprentice Engineer

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harrekin Master Engineer

Someone disagreed with my statement that the lens flares can't hurt your eyes...

@Konscience

Care to elaborate on how a rendered lens flare could be any more "damaging" than a full screen of white pixels?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. mikeeyhz Trainee Engineer

Would be nice that inventory and locations from other people in online games would be saved too on the same way as the game hosts inv and loc do.

5. Leonardo90 Trainee Engineer

Maybe they should start implementing some mods into base game like this.
    I'd love to see a slide allowing us to change max speed of the ships/players without need to install any non-updated mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AtDotCom Trainee Engineer

Same problem was here also.
    I just simply did disable the integrated in windows (in bios cant). No problem anymore.

7. zorgkirill Apprentice Engineer

No, thanks, I don't want to mess with BIOS (and i have a notebook). I'll better go and play some Avorion...

8. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Cetric Junior Engineer

ABSOLUTELY Agree!
    It was an awesome mod and I loved to have monitors in my station showing the situation in front of docking tunnels and while taxiing a ship into position etc thanks to this camera live feed.
    But when it became obsolete by one of Keen's updates on my stable installation sometime last october or november, it caused all my saves to be 'corrupt' and if I would not have gotten help from KEEN to find the reason (foreign dll import into main installation) I still would be wondering what's wrong with the game.
    So what isn't more natural than wishing live camera feed would get implemented into vanilla, right as the modder showed the way how to do it? I second that.

10. PLPM Junior Engineer

Well, it´s obviously not like staring at the sun and such, it´s just a screen like any other, however depending on the contrasts and effects it CAN have a negative effect, from motion sickness or a contrast too great that you can´t cope with it and your eyes tire out or you get a headache...

You can´t just simply add effects or change contrasts without testing, or you risk affecting your user... We´re in a similar situation to the original handwelder.

11. Harrekin Master Engineer

The original hand welder had troublesome motion.

Lens flare at its brightest point is just white pixels, any perceived discomfort is an illusion bleeding over from real life experience.

Honestly, try force yourself to just stare at it...its just a picture on a screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PLPM Junior Engineer

For real?

13. Harrekin Master Engineer

Do you get "pain" from looking at photographs too?

Beware the mighty power of #ffffff!!

If you don't like it or its annoying that's one thing, to say an image causes physical discomfort is another entirely.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. lelocobr Trainee Engineer

I
    It is something several people suffer me included.
    The worst type of this is motior blur... Dear lord how horrible that is. Every time that leaves a monster headache

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Renegrade Trainee Engineer

Yes please. I play this game, and I hate beards. The only reason why I'm wearing one right now is because of shaving laziness. Also - my wife plays this game. She wouldn't mind female options.

We'll start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_blue_lights_technology , and then conclude with the fact that optical patterns CAN cause discomfort. Obviously it can't physically damage your skin or bones or somesuch, but your brain processes this information, and it's not some magical universal computer that can effortlessly handle any input. It has flaws and limitations, and these can result in headaches, dizziness, disorientation, or even nausea. Just google up "optical illusion" -- every single one of those things is your visual cortex going "derp?" and doing the best it can.

Here's a counter example: Use a CRT screen. Set it to 50hz progressive (or any of the nasty 40-50hz interlace modes). Does it hurt? It shouldn't, it's not doing anything different to you than an LCD screen*. It's just pixels...yet the headache is real.

(* LCDs are actually polarized, which could be considered more harmful. It certainly is if you're wearing polarized sunglasses or shooting with a polarized filter)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Good grief. It's not causing discomfort because it's blinding people, it's causing discomfort because it's a giant effect that's splashed across a quarter of your screen that distorts what you're looking at. It's disorienting. Visual disorientation can be painful, or at least uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PLPM Junior Engineer

Fortunately, I don´t.

However, not because I don´t have such issues does not mean I should mock others.

I´ve gotten headaches from playing extremely dimly lit games, simply because my eyes couldn´t handle the stress, and I´m not particulary sensible.

I´ve had to take a rest from welding when the welder effect was extremely assaulting several years ago. Contrast can also be an issue.
    --- Automerge ---
    It can lead to a painful experience depending on the severity, so, yeah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

This has to one of the worst updates for a good while (other than the 4-5 updates leading to planets where connectors and cargos randomly exploded destroying complete ships).....
    problems are:
    1) grids with solars panels and batteries (reactor doesn't matter) - solars don't output anything to the grid, so batteries get drained to empty.
    2) battery powered small grid ships don't output total available power, making them useless on planets....
    3) the lens flare makes the game ****ing unplayable for a lot of people .... given the community backlash it should of been disabled in the friday hotfix for ALL games modes till a sensible compromise can be rearched.

I am actually very close to quiting the game compeletly again (pre and post planets did me in completely before) .....
    Tthings seem to be going in the right direction after the 2 yr anniversary, the MP prototypes, new models, reaching beta ... but the updates have gone to the dogs recently :(
    BTW, some simple testing shows that problems 1) and 2) only seem to be in new worlds post latest dev update ... I am stilll testing with building / pasting new ships into old worlds on both MP and SP

19. Harrekin Master Engineer

I'd happily argue that making it a graphical option for single player games should definitely be a thing (in multiplayer it gives you an advantage not to have it on so a server setting would be better for that mode).

But come on guys, saying a 2D lens flare effect causes "pain" is just cray-cray, you don't need to jump to extremes, just request a way to disable it.

How do some of you people even go outside if a 2D lens flare or motion in a game is so "crippling"?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. PLPM Junior Engineer

A game is not RL. Many effects used to make it look more "real" (specially motion ones) can be disorientating for the eyes and cause a headeache later on. It´s not like a button simply being pressed and one just feeling pain. In the case of the lens flares they´re an invasive light effect in a very dark environment (Which your eyes are trying to see and adapt to)

You simply do not couple very light intensive things with very dark environments, which is what´s happening.

PS: I´m glad you haven´t ever experienced a headache due to light conditions or motion sickness in any shape, way, or form. I have had one due to light conditions, and there´s people for who it´s a big deterrant to play some games, I´m here because it seems you´re not taking them seriously.

Don´t take it as outright "pain", it´s visual discomfort, which can lead to a headache, which is painful, thus instant or not, it can cause pain down the road... plus it´s not like anybody is sueing Keen for "attack to the user through disorientating lens flares" but obviously, some people is annoyed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

photosensitivity warnings please :)
    get them added or people rage quit :eek:

22. Cetric Junior Engineer

Day Three of this update and people are still debating over 'lense flare'. *helmetpalm*

23. Harrekin Master Engineer

It's just a conversation, noone is arguing...

What's wrong with conversation?

24. Mr_w Trainee Engineer

somuch hype and no real fixes. this is getting soooo old,
    keen anouces a fixing round and then silently goes back to adding bugs, ehhh i meen features..

this game used tobe playable in survival but since the frelling plannets its not.
    etch fixing round its the same thing, lots of promises only tobe finding out theres a nother mayor thing that stops the fun usualy related to a new shiny feature or a bug that should have been fixed two years ago

everytime i tried to play last year either i keep hanging with no explination why or even worse my savegame selfdestructs,
    and im not even mentioning the randomness of wheels having more explosive power then explosive's itself. or a tiny rock wrecking your base like this giant ass wrecking ball. cyber dogs spawning ontop of you.. this list is much longer.
    and thats just some of the things that makes survival unplayable and in turn makes multiplay unposible. nevermind the new player experince a WTF/WTH one.

i gues i have to accept this game is beyond being fixed annytime soon. the 20 bucks i spend on it whas worth it pre-plannets. but currently? they just keep adding handicaps while its alrdy inposible to play.
    can we please have a serous bug fixing round? and test it on ALL commonly used hardware 'n OSes? like radeon cards? and not only on win10 witch is basicly only 30% of the win-osses out there? (and meen afcource recent hardware, but as things is only nvidia cards seem to work right nevermind there age)

least im so done checkingout eatch update and finding out its again the same deal: namely hype and the same old showstoppers that the new stuff just plain pissing me off lately.

what i cant understand is that your test team should catch some of the bugs. or they do and the devs decide to nevermind it? something is going so fn wrong here its not funny.

25. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I think the lens flare looks really cool.. kind of MassEffect'ish...

26. Harrekin Master Engineer

If anything, the change that made survival harder was the mining change they did about a year and a bit before planets (was even pre oxygen I think).

You used to just brush the drills off an asteroid and it ate a bit quickly and sent out little rocks flawlessly.

You could line up and just use up and down thrusters to cut perfectly flat surfaces into the asteroids (and just leave the mouse alone).

Unless it's changed again, now you've to awkwardly mash (and use your ships rotation) the drills into the voxels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Your quote's messed up, mate. ;)

28. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

You want debates?
    ..........suggests..................................liquid voxel water with a side of food for survival.
    *runs for the hills*

hahaha...but in all seriousness wolfs still have the wrong hitbox model for the 3rd week running.
    they seem to be using an engineer shaped hitbox...
    crosshairs are still off...most notable when you try to weild small blocks....................more rage creating than trying to thread a needle
    haven't actually had a chance to even use merge blocks but apparently they are borked

29. acheaen Trainee Engineer

I love the new Lens Flares but what about the issues in the game. rovers are completely unusable because the wheels bounce around so hard that you will flip over and destroy yourself. and if you mess with the height offset then the wheels just lose all height. or on a dedicated server when you small ship decides it wants to take a journey through the planet and end up in its hollow core. rotors are safety locking when a server restarts and you can not unlock unless you grind the head off. we love what you have done with the game but please fix the current issues that hinder most from playing.

Acheaen

30. PLPM Junior Engineer

Weird.

*Edit*

"A game is not RL. Many effects used to make it look more "real" (specially motion ones) can be disorientating for the eyes and cause a headeache later on. It´s not like a button simply being pressed and one just feeling pain. In the case of the lens flares they´re an invasive light effect in a very dark environment (Which your eyes are trying to see and adapt to)

You simply do not couple very light intensive things with very dark environments, which is what´s happening.

PS: I´m glad you haven´t ever experienced a headache due to light conditions or motion sickness in any shape, way, or form. I have had one due to light conditions, and there´s people for who it´s a big deterrant to play some games, I´m here because it seems you´re not taking them seriously.

Don´t take it as outright "pain", it´s visual discomfort, which can lead to a headache, which is painful, thus instant or not, it can cause pain down the road... plus it´s not like anybody is sueing Keen for "attack to the user through disorientating lens flares" but obviously, some people are annoyed."

That´s my original quote.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.