Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.178.3 Minor - Dead Drop Arena, New Update Release System

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

Source for this?

It was demonstrated in a bug report that the twisty pistons are due to grid origin orientations being different on the piston head and body which is usually caused by a merge block on the end of a piston. This isn't a standard "physics problem" it's a problem with the inheritance of grid origin orientation on the piston head.

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/1-174-twisty-piston-doom.7392796/

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

Isn't it too bright in space? There are many mods with darker shadows, why not to make vanilla space just a bit darker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

they will leave 1.172 as a rollback? why? this was badly broken for survival with the power problems with batteries, the stable update before was better!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

And night on planets.. I loved old dark nights much more, you could find a use for spotlights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roxette Senior Engineer

... and two minutes into play on the new version to discover the third-person view when flying a ship is completely borked... so, nothing unexpected yet... looking forward to the new 'thoroughly tested and working' updates, when do they start exactly? :D

6. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Because some people in this world pay woman/men to stand on their balls. Giving people the options is a good way to keep them all happy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Konscience Trainee Engineer

Wow at first I was not sure about this new release way of doing, but it might give devs the greatest flexibility.

But, come now, where is Commander Rotal?...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. viper312005 Trainee Engineer

I have had a dedicated server on dev branch for many months now...i just opted out and so far everything is good on my old save
    --- Automerge ---

They are working on reworking the whole powering of grids, not just batteries. This has been stated one of Xoc's streams. So instead of a band aid for the batteries, they are fixing it all. Just going to take alittle longer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

10. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

Haven't been able to get air for some reason to a fighter cockpit, since the last stable build dropped.

11. Nick_A Trainee Engineer

Why can't it open in the setting I left it in? And why do I still get graphics card notifications upon launch?

12. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Playing Starcraft 2 Coop with my clone. Besides, i've already put my thoughts about all of this into another thread:

-) Liking the change of release system, though it's not radical enough (should be monthly with critical hotfixes).
    -) I am a little concerned about the testing. They make it sound like the CTG is supposed to be doing the really heavy lifting on that front now, and since we don't know who or how many people are in there it's hard to judge whether they're up to the task, or if they represent the rather wide range of playstyles SE offers, in order to cast a wide enough net.
    -) The HUD's design and ideas behind it seem really good - but it has terrible color choices and transparency issues that make it harder to use for the colorblind than an UI really should. Edit: Harder, in fact, than the current UI...
    -) A new one: glad to see they FINALLY fixed the Gravity Range CTD bug!
    and, what the hell, just for shits and giggles let's complain about something;
    -) Am i the only one a little miffed that none of the scenarios really focus on building or cooperation? It's all combat. The Tutorial comes a little closer but... eh. I'd like to see a Shipyard scenario with a few obstacles, or a shipwrecked MP survival... SOMETHING that isn't "let's shoot other people". I don't MIND combat i just... don't feel like it's necessarily something that SE should focus on (or is necessarily very good at, either).
    -) The focus on Survival and MP and calling stuff like the HUD "big features" really hammers home that this game probably won't be in Early Access anymore next year. Considering all the stuff that really should be in (ranging from trivial issues like the lack of a simple half block or desk block to the lack of NPCs, even static ones would help) and all the other stuff that i want to be in this... does not please me.
    -) There is something to be said about the "original vision" of SE not using a lot of menus. Can't speak for anyone else but i spent way more time in menus than i'd like, ESPECIALLY in Survival (Inventory, anyone?). And as for the "ease of use", and how it's less important for the high-hours-played players? I've got 4000 hours in this game and i STILL don't know how the hell the Connectors are supposed to work. Or how to properly set up Wheels. We still lack (probably) thousands of tooltips. The Loading Screens show hilariously stupid screenshots, like planetary ships using Ion Thrusters. Conveyor Sorters... they're probably not bugged per se but they're definitely not doing what i tell them to. There is no Tutorial for Creative Mode and it's tools; i regularly encounter people who either don't know what Mirror Mode is or how it works. This kind of ties into the point above; this game is NOT ready to be in Beta, nevermind release. I believe the new update system will HELP, but... y'know... we'll have to wait and see.

All in all 8/10 update, would download again.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Rotal...conveyor sorters are fine for me. Simple how they work:

large grid: blacklist option, and whatever you choose in the list below is blocked. Whitelist...and only what you choose gets through. They ONLY work one way, and the stuff goes in the direction the arrow ( chevron ) points.
    small grid: as above ...but some components CANNOT pass through small grid, so are always blocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I assumed they work like that as well, and i did set up my Refineries properly like that. The Inventory system still randomly spammed ore all over the place. At least it didn't put everything into a SINGLE Refinery.

15. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

So far, none of my dev saves load up in the updated main branch. ???

16. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

Also, lights for locked/ready to lock for connectors/LG's are all always whiteish blue now, instead of turning yellow/green for ready/locked.

17. Martin R Wolfe Trainee Engineer

@Commander Rotal when using sorters to filer to and from refineries it is best to have the ore input connected to a different port to the ingot out on the refinery to prevent ore be pulled straight from the ore cargo container to the ingot cargo container.

18. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Okay, not a bad update. Think I understand the new releases. To make it clear I understand, thursday patches are normal but there are also these minor and major releases as well? I like the look of that hud. Very happy for a direction of travel indicator and an artificial horizon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

A big request to our wonderful devs: Please focus on stability, multiplayer sync and overall bug hunting first and foremost. You have made very nice improvements to the game in recent updates and I admire the continous development on all fronts. However, the netcode is at times so bad I wonder why it was swapped out in the first place (SE's first netcode had near perfect sync, right now... sync... let's not talk about it), and together with other issues it simply breaks the game for us. I want to rent a server, I want to invite all my friends and have fun together, but I know that we're gonna run into a wall of bugs on day 1 and everyone's gonna go play other games.

Now for some first impressions about the HUD and menus.
    1. The HUD seems a little bulky for what it contains. It can be improved by slightly shrinking the padding between functional HUD elements and the outer edges of each HUD "box".
    2. I can see an analogue-like speedometer on the HUD. To me, it highlights the game's speed limit too much, and thus takes away from the immersion. Also, how will it work with speed mods, especially unlimited speed mods?
    3. Inventory volume and character mass from the current HUD are missing on the new one. Also, while I'm at additional information - I hope you're still planning on making cockpit displays come alive and be programmable, so we can see things we want to see - like a ship's power distribution, or inventory contents - on those.
    4. The Terminal has gotten a bit too plain, it's almost ugly. It could use an easier way of getting to all of a block's settings (other than scrolling down a very cramped list of settings), and it could use a graphical style that's not as reminiscent of Windows 10. Maybe try making it look a bit closer to Google's Material Design - not entirely Material, obviously, but some good clues can be taken from that. Some controls could be more compact - on/off switches and checkboxes could be turned into Android-style labels with toggles on the right, and so on.

Show us more versions or iterations, if you have them, and we'll be glad to give feedback :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Malware Master Engineer

I think you'll find a lot of people disagreeing with you there bud :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. LATENT PRECISE-IMPOSER Apprentice Engineer

WAIT!!!

What will happen to our planet mods?

I have maps with custom planets and I don't want to lose them when I update...

22. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

@Commander Rotal I asked Xocliw in the Twitch stream on Tuesday specifically about if the CTG was an even mix of survival and creative players, to make sure all bases were covered and to avoid 'favouritism' and he replied not to worry that they have a lot of different people so it's not a problem. Just have to choose to believe it I guess.

I also agree in that I'm a bit worried about the big focus on PvP aswell, as a 90% single player survival kinda guy I hope they don't forget about the PvE and building stuff too in this upcoming survival overhaul that's been mentioned on and off. Hopefully they don't just go down the get stuff fast and shoot people approach :(

23. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

I think this has to be a little more open minded. Sometimes as part of an organization when you discuss with other members of your team 'What do you think will be best', you let them give feedback and then amend. The update system might change, or it could actually be matching what you're saying (except they are deploying critical bug fixes on a weekly basis and there might only be 2 fixes in. Quality over quantity?)

As for the testing quality, honestly I'm not really concerned. They may be implementing new testing patterns for testers to follow. If that's the case, it will take a little while to get right. But Space Engineers is a dynamic complex game, so at least it means that there is a first sieve for testing before it comes down to us.

24. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

i like everything that i just heard in this update

• Like Like x 1
  25. gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

^^^
    This, especially! Very good point.

It'll be exciting to see what directions they go when they start to think seriously about putting co-op/building/PVE challenges into the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. vymasteny_pankac Apprentice Engineer

oooohm progression ooohmmmmm

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  27. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

Just popping in to say I really liked what I heard about different scenarios and progression as future goals. I hope that involves some exploration and/or research of some sort. :)

28. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Let me slow clap the idea of an "even mix". In no way should it be "even". Yes, you want to design pretty ships and that's as far as you want to take it... fine... cool... you can do the same thing in Blender and it's 100% free. I'm not being snarky, but designing ships is just a very narrow part of the game even if it's the most time consuming. But just about EVERYONE designs or at least modifies ships.

Most of the survival players I've encountered spend a LOT of time in creative mode designing ships and then using projectors to build those ships in survival. Building ships in survival mode would take a LOT longer as you're working their functionality out. Survival players find plenty of bugs IN creative mode. So to create some sort of even split would mean that creative-mode testing would be over-represented. Please also take into account the majority of functionality in creative mode is shared with survival mode.

What has been lacking and buggy has been multiplayer. Multiplayer has to be solid; not because multiplayer is the bee-knees as the moment but if this title is going to be release on XBox, then it will HAVE to have multiplayer capabilities to maximize sales of the titles. Being marooned by yourself inside the Xbox won't go over well. Xbox is a very social platform. If Keen can't make multiplayer work on a high-end PC, it's not going to work on a Potato with a controller sticking out of it.

If it works in survival there's probably a 99% chance it'll work in creative.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  29. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

Dead Drop Arena, yay all the kids are happy.

• Funny Funny x 3
  30. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Update video says 01.179
    Thread title says 01.178.3
    ?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.