Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.179.0 Major - New HUD and UI

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Initial reaction:

I adore the new HUD & GUI. Keen really knocked the ball out of the park on that one. And the flare slider is perfect; I've got mine set to 0.2, just enough to look pretty without impairing playability (I have not yet been brave enough to turn it up to 2). Letting the units for some of the bars be toggled along with keybindings might help; I love the new power usage bar, but for new players unused to the units it might be a big confusing.

The new line that says "Functional" when welding or grinding blocks is brilliant; that'll help new players a lot.

Also:

THEY FIXED WELDERS AND MERGE BLOCKS!!!!!
    :carlton::carlton::carlton::carlton::carlton::carlton::carlton::carlton::carlton:

No riots today! Here, have a hug!

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. David184 Apprentice Engineer

I like the hud so far but my only complaint about it is the fact it no longer shows how many landing gears are in proximity and that there's no hud scale slider. it would be nice to add those in.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. McVoy Trainee Engineer

I saw one problem in new HUD: when you are in vehicle, the reflector indicator doesn't work. When I press "L", reflectors goes on but indicator don't.
    Eventually there is lack of indicator specially for reflectors. The one on the left is only for light of space suit?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Heron Trainee Engineer

Gentlemen, my complements. Wow, just wow.

5. Tygra Trainee Engineer

What happened with the item icons? They are back to the old ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TreatonUP Trainee Engineer

The HUD part in the right can fade out entirely when you aren't in ship. Also the outside H²O indicator looks kinda jenky and not at place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wolfie Fox Trainee Engineer

Awesome update, love the new HUD but I have just one issue with it at the moment and that's the chemical symbols you have used for Oxygen and Hydrogen. The chemical symbol for Oxygen should be "O" not "O2" and Hydrogen should be "H" not "H2".
    Numbers are only used when you have more than one of the same atom in a molecule. An example would be water which is H2O meaning water molecules contain two Hydrogen atoms for every Oxygen atom.

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the new HUD, and for the amount of work that went into it. I like it, generally, but there are one or two things that the old HUD did better. Particularly the inventory 'fullness' indicator. I used to be able to tell what my character inventory space was like at just a glance. Now I can't.

With a max capacity of 4,000L in my inventory, the inventory capacity bar now turns simply red when it's full (it actually turns red before that, when I have reached about 3,200 of my 4,000L capacity). This isn't very useful to me. I really want to be able to see - with alpha numeric text - exactly what the status of the inventory is, like I used to be able to do, ie how much space is left exactly to the digit.

So I would very much like to have an option to revert to a more textual display format, like the old HUD for certain stuff like this, rather than have to rely upon unspecific icons. I'd also rather have On/Off - with text - for Helmet status, I just find that easier personally.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Thrak Junior Engineer

Believe it or not, oxygen is almost always found as O2 because... it's oxygen and tends to... well... oxidize (attach to other atoms). I think the same is true for hydrogen gas that's commonly used in industry (not to be confused with Deuterium, 2H, which is an isotope).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wolfie Fox Trainee Engineer

Right. I guess my high school physics is a little rusty. Thanks for updating me :)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  11. bamapama Trainee Engineer

I bet sooner or later someone will provide a mod like that, but I'd love to see a vanilla option to display the toolbar on the left side of the screen with some additional space for short, yet always on-screen, descriptions of binded blocks when in cockpit or a flight seat. That would make manning ships designed by someone else a lot easier in MP. No one would have to guess or try which one of a several identical icons of - for example - landing gears is binded to actual landing gears and which one represents blocks functioning as - let's say - grappling gears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kujo Trainee Engineer

Oxygen gas is O2, which to be frank should be common knowledge. Atomic oxygen is highly reactive and doesn't appear like that except under extreme conditions. Same goes for hydrogen. The gas is H2, atomic hydrogen is unstable as it's a radical.
    So everything is fine in this department. ;)

Regarding the Update: I love the new HUD so far and i like the design of the UI. But like it was said before, we also really need a complete functional and structural overhaul of the inventory screen and the control panel.

13. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

Looks like they reintroduced the terrible aim for turrets. I can't hit anything while moving, and half the time they don't fire at all.

14. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Is it possible to mod the bars turning red? Or better yet remove this feature vanilla? Just watch the update video, on the moon, when health and inventory get passed their trigger points. Pretty darn hard to read that against the grey background isn't it? And I have no issue seeing the color red. Making the bars blink would be a better way of drawing attention to them.

I'd also prefer that there were not tab modes on the HUD. I turn the HUD on and off frequently, as I much prefer the immersion of the 3D helmet mod, or just having no HUD data at all in favor of LCD scripts, but sometimes you need some information that only it provides. For little reason I can see, I must now press tab twice to dismiss the HUD. Including the hotkeys seems better served as a game option, it's something that either you know or you don't, and not something that anyone is likely to be toggling frequently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SchmoJoe Trainee Engineer

I would take folder for blueprints!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I did write it in live stream and i will write it again: Use velocity indicator for weapons aim ! I know it will not be perfect, if player dont set correct distance to target and start shoot, but its a good start.

How change distance to target ? Easy, make circle biger with same cross sensitivity :tu: ( optimal distance to target 1km for start and make it player change able later. )

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Sinbad Senior Engineer

that quote...
    what leads to success if not science? ...voodoo? wishful thinking? dare I suggest it, love?
    science is the foundation of engineering, without which no project would succeed. every other consideration leads to compromising function and efficiency.

18. Harrekin Master Engineer

A bit of desalination occurred this week and I'll say nice hud, clean and sleek design, could be on the Prometheus or something.

• Like Like x 1
  19. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Also very glad to see the old component icons back, as I can better tell things apart now, particularly oxygen/hydrogen bottles. Much preferred! Hope they're here to stay!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

New HUD+GUI feedback
    tl;dr: 6/10, good work done so far

HUD/GUI customisability is kind of a big deal, and it's also very subjective at times. You guys at Keen previously (back in the day when ingame scripting was coming out) stated, that scripting and modding the game's UI would be done entirely client-side and separate from regular mods and scripts. Fast-forward a year or two, we're getting this functionality, but now it's integrated into the game the same way as regular mods, effectively requiring any two or more people playing together to use the exact same HUD/GUI layout, configuration and appearance. Why is that? I would strongly suggest to enable every player to set the HUD (and perhaps the terminal as well) the way they want, without ever affecting other players in multiplayer sessions, and with being able to carry those HUD/GUI settings and modifications over to any world and any server. Ideally, we should be able to edit some basic things such as colours and sizes of HUD boxes, HUD elements and terminal menus somewhere in our game settings or config files, but a different solution (such as per-player HUD mods) that's not too much more difficult to customise would be welcome as well. As @doncdxx mentioned here, per-grid/per-cockpit HUD customisation wouldn't be a bad idea either (although I do understand that this could potentially introduce some unwanted overhead).

@Commander Rotal has posted a very good piece of feedback. I may not fully agree with every single statement she made, but it's still a very good piece of feedback and I second it on most accounts.

These points from my previous feedback post still apply:
    As for point 3, while inventory volume is shown by a bar, relative to full capacity, that still doesn't give us the number value.

Also:
    5. The atmospheric conditions text is in a very awkward spot right now.
    6. I would like to see the "fuel time" (or "power time") indicator integrate over some recent period of time, so that we don't see it jumping constantly between, say, 14 minutes and 8 days, but rather see it change slowly, as the grid's sustained power usage becomes higher or lower. The current power usage bar already tells us about instant changes in the grid's power usage, the "fuel time" doesn't need to.
    7. We kind of need units, or generally some form of clarification to the readings on the HUD, as @Raider480 mentioned here.

Overall, I'd say the HUD has improved, but the terminal has degraded. There's still work to be done on both (more so on the terminal than the HUD).

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Thrak Junior Engineer

To be fair, I had to look up the deuterium thing :)

Agreed, especially in terms of gravity. I think most users think in g-forces.

Adding: I kind of liked the new icons, with the exception of the Oxygen and Hydrogen bottles, which looked too similar. Hoping for some adjustments yet to come in this regard.

Now, a question: I haven't been able to test combat yet. Do turrets still needs to be toggled to "Moving Objects" in order to fire at all? I see reports that aim might be off, but I am wondering about settings.

22. Lynnux Junior Engineer

Artificial gravity always shows 0.00 when seated (in a flight seat). Don't know if this is intention. Before the artificial gravity was displayed equally when seated or not.
    The artificial horizon still shows a horizon when flying straight up in planetary gravity (cockpit/seat pointing upwards).

23. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

They are diatomic molecules. "BrINClHOF"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomic_molecule

24. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Hilariously, that is a bug so they will be intentionally made indistinguishable again soon!

A lot of old things get reintroduced during updates these days. Glad to hear that welders and merges are fixed though, even if it was too embarassing to put in the bug fix list this week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wolfie Fox Trainee Engineer

26. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

The new main menu icons are sterile and boring, looking more like a Windows 10 application than a game. The old semi-hologram looking ones had a unique style that said "Space Engineers".

What's happened is the cause of every major reoccurring bug; Someone is working from a severely goddamn outdated code build instead of pulling from the latest production build, and KSH need to put a stop to it.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  27. Slywolf117 Trainee Engineer

For the love of God...FIX 3RD PERSON CAMERA ANGLE CHANGES

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. Kezat Trainee Engineer

Really liking the new HUD, much more compact and faster to read icons instead of reading text!

I think the speed component of the velocity indicator should be removed so the distance the cross from the center of the circle is only effected by movement and looking direction. Extra points of the cross icon changes if your facing forward or backwards relative to movement direction.
    This would make it useful at low speeds and the icon change would help you know if your facing forward or backwards to the direction of movement.

Other thoughts:
    Its been said but the component icons reverted to the old style.
    I love the first person grinder model but should it really take up half my screen? Perhaps lower it a little.
    Signal chevrons appear in strange spots on the HUD at times such as the bottom of the screen yet the signal is from the above.

29. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

Sorry guys... Love this game to death, but at the end of the day, all you really did was take what was and just shrank it. Text is more like an 8bit graphic - blurry, not clean... blues are still wrong background. Like the HUD, but you all need to just simply go to a good established font and get rid of the POS font you are using... Give us the option to change the color of the background of the HUD, the color of the font and the size. For the small amount of changes that really have occurred, it sure took a hell of a lot of time to put this out.

Not sure if anyone noticed... Missiles don't hit anything anymore... fly above and around targets... Problem with Gyros, and my turrets all look like they have some kind of disease in that they are all choppy now and not smooth in their motions.

Have over 4500 hours logged... not been many updates that I have not been happy with... this is one... This whole game rocks... love it... but the fonts and GUI are almost juvenile.... btw... LIGHT COLORED FONTS AGAINST BRIGHT BACKGROUNDS DON'T WORK. Light blue against blue = Invisible. Do you guys even play the game after you make all these changes or just say "If they don't like it, tell them to eat cake"? At the end of the day, its a MINIMAL UPDATE.

• Like Like x 1
  30. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

If they made the UI moddable, that means that someone already can make a mod that reads some config file from the user so every player can have a different UI.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.